Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gillingham Game

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Fish-Costa-Fortune[/cite]Sorry, I can't stand Gillingham. Vile club, vile chairman who is on par with Simon Jordan, and the majority of there supporters seem to have developed a hatred for Charlton. I also don't understand any of this 2nd team nonsense. One team, and one team only - Charlton.

With you on this one, come on you Shrews!!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]I should be off to Wembley to see this :)
    It'll cost more than £7.50 mate.
  • [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]I should be off to Wembley to see this :)

You're welcome!
  • Shrewsbury till' i die.
  • [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Bing asked : ''is that the historical county of Kent, or the current administrative area? I think you'll find that if you look at the former, youll see that Charlton was part of the historical county of Kent until reorganisation in the late 19th Century dumped it into the County Of London.''

Fair question, Bing : I meant the county of Kent as constituted for the last 150 years. So that doesn't include London SE postal districts. Mind you Kent CCC played at the Rectory Field Blackheath (SE3) into the 1970s, so there you go!

Don't understand the hatred of Gillingham at all. Totally different from Palace and Millwall, IMO. I've always regarded them more as our less sophisticated, gauche country cousins, on whose inferiority we can look indulgently and charitably...

I'm with you Nigel.

I've lived in the Medway area for nearly 25 years and knew a few of the Gillingham players and backroom staff back in the eighties and early nineties. I therefore have a bit of a soft spot for them. It doesn't make me any less of a Charlton fan though. Similarly I had a soft spot for Leicester City in the sixties and seventies because Len Glover went there and he was my favourite Charlton player.
  • Back in the mid 90's when they had almost gone under loads of us from the Kent branches of CASC got together and raised quite a bit of dosh for their survival fund.

It was a bit of a smack in the teeth, therefore, a few years later to read how they hated us for actively encouraging people to come to Charlton when they were about to go under. Nothing could have been further from the truth.

So for that reason I want Shrewsbury to win.

However, there is a little part of me that wishes Mark Robson well. It's amazing that Stimson gets all the praise.
  • I hope Stimson does well, he trys to find committed/talented players. Something Pardew would never understand. He signed virtually everyone, Robson came on board way after the squad was assembled; yes he did improve them.

Personally I hate Gills as they sacked Keith Peacock and since then have always played awful football. Even in the Pulis years they were organised but not entertainment. Always expensive to watch but atrocious. Compare them to Luton who don't get much more attendance, yet Luton every year have wonderful players. I've seen Gavin Peacock, Nicky Forster and Andy Hess and that's it at gills for very good players.
  • I remember back in '81 we played them in our last game in Div 3 (so far) and their players formed a guard of honour as CAFC came on to the pitch at the Valley and clapped our team on.

I thought respect, they may have had a ridiculous chairman recently but they were not rivals and to be honest when Keefy P was running them in the 80's who is really saying they did not look for their results??

I am at a bit of a loss to understand some of the above?
  • Brother is a Gills fan, wants me to go to Wembley with him for the FInal. Was a bit dubious, but i'm yet to go to the new one so will be going solely for that reason.
  • As a Maidstone Utd fan (as well as Charlton) I hate Gillingham with a passion. They are as bad as Palarse too me, so not only do I hope they lose, I hope its another Man City type game that sinks them again!!

Also a few years ago when I worked on the Railway, I was working in the signalbox at Gillingham One night, I noticed that the crowds were heading to that dump of a ground, so decided to go and watch. I went into the away end, and it was Shrewsbury that they were playing. Im sure John Bond was manager at the time. It was a good night as the Gills lost. I was well appy!!

So, come on you Shrewsbury
  • Sponsored links:

• Pickwick, it's probably a local thing for us Kent based addicks. I never held any dislike until they started accusing us of all sorts. Nasty club and an even nastier chairman who remarkably looks like Penfold from dangermouse.
  • Made even nastier as they're support is made up of locals deciding they want a second team. My best pal is a Gills fan through and through and travelled back from his base in Belgium to go to the second leg then drove stright back! Nutter!

He is one of the few though. They will sell out the allocation they get at Wembley because mates of mates of mates will go and a lot of locals who have probably never seen the side play since the Wigan game at Wembley will be after a ticket. I hope they get f*cking stuffed.
  • nothing club with a hatred for us,hope they fail
  • So so bitter Gills fans.

They like to make a thing of the Valley Express and how we 'promised Premiership stars' for cheap travel, funny now that same service is continuing due to demand in League 1 with the promise of Exeter, Carlisle & such like.
  • Saturday October 24th - don’t know why but really looking forwards to this. In the absence of many decent away games this side of the new year (Brighton away on a Tuesday in December – who else was devastated when they saw this ?) this one really stands out. The pikey’s have been giving it large for a couple of years now so I’m hoping operation Medway will be a success !!
  • Wish I was able to go, I'm in Brighton that night for the Bloc Party gig, disappointed I won't be there in the Brian Moore/temporary stand
  • Whats the away allocation at Gillingham then? Can be that great as its quite a small ground...10K capacity?
  • It's tiny because the police made them shut half of the stand which houses away fans I believe.
  • Starting to think Charlton Gillingham will have more security issues then Charlton Millwall. Saying that, the Charlton Wall game is during the Christmas school holidays :)
  • I was gutted with the brighton game on a tuesday and im really looking forward to this one. Have been mouthing off so would be good to get 6 points
  • Sponsored links:

• They're having an "Official 'Balloons and beachballs to Charlton away day' 20th March"

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=336516067481&v=info#!/group.php?gid=336516067481&ref=mf

"This is an idea for people to bring baloons to Gillingham's away fixture at the Valley on Saturday 20th of March. We are situated in the Jimmy Seed (south) stand, which holds 3000. We are almost defianately going to sell out the allocation; which will make for a cracking atmosphere.

However, to prove even more to the Londoners, that we are the ONLY team in Kent, I think it would be a great idea to display out passion through colour (balloons and beachballs).

Balloons and beachballs are the two objects that are defianantely allowed into the ground, so there will be no problem getting them in.

This idea needs a group effort. Meaning that instead of just joining the facebook group, try and participate by popping down to your local store and grabbing a pack of balloons or a beachball.

I noticed one supporter attempted to organise an 'ultra' day at our away match at Brentford. Some people did participate, and it was a fantastic atmosphere from the Gills faithful..

However this is a step further. It involves hundreds- if not thousands of us travelling Gills taking part. When the team come out of the tunnell, it will look fantastic with all the balloons. The atmosphere will take care of it's self im sure, but that's make it a colourful and successful away day.

If you are going to help, then please add me as a friend (cantium Gill) and/or post your intentions on the groups wall.

And here's hoping for a (long-awaited) away victory!

p.s) I have contacted the club to see if they will help organise it, although I wouldnt rely too much on Scally to help out.

Up The Gills!"

Words fail me
  • they are not on our radar for rivals,they mean zilch
  • Biggest away day of the season for them, no surprise.
  • Why only 2000?
  • They won't sell out the away end
  • [cite]Posted By: OhsouthLondon[/cite]We are a London club and always will be

Spot on.

No idea why a team from Kent would try and have a rivalry with one from South London – aren’t they closer to Southend anyway ?
  • WSSWSS
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: OhsouthLondon[/cite]We are a London club and always will be

Spot on.

No idea why a team from Kent would try and have a rivalry with one from South London – aren’t they closer to Southend anyway ?
    Or vice versa - just look and the uptake in away tickets compared to the Millwall game...
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]just look and the uptake in away tickets compared to the Millwall game...

Didn't we also sell more (and quicker) for Orient ? I don't think the Millwall ticket sales have anything to do with peoples perception of them as a rival compared to Gillingham, it's probably due to the restrictions in sale originally palced and the fact that lots of people are apprehensive about going down the den.
  • well thats been blown out the water as were prob have more charlton behind the goal than millwall did at ours,i must learn to think before typing