Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Well done George Boyd

The product of the Charlton youth set up scored on his debut for Scotland "B". Just the sort of player we could do with if Messrs Bailey and Shelvey opt to move on.

Comments

• .........and also playing in a successful side in a higher division than us next season.

Did make me laugh though when i read that when he turned up for training it was the first time he'd ever set foot into Scotland!
  • edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite].........and also playing in a successful side in a higher division than us next season.

Did make me laugh though when i read that when he turned up for training it was the first time he'd ever set foot into Scotland!

An bit like our only full Scottish international then.

Who is G Boyd BTW?
  • edited May 2009
    Born in Chatham George was with us between ages of 9 and 16. Played for Chatham Town before being picked up by Stevenage where he was, according to Wiki, affectionately known as the "White Pele". Peterboro' for a Conference record from Stevenage of £240,000 where he has scored 27 goals in a 102 games.

This is what the Posh site says about him:

"One of the hottest properties in the lower leagues, George Boyd was once described as the 'White Pele' by his adoring supporters. Scorer of well-crafted as well as explosive goals, Boyd is more of a stand-out performer because of his skills on the ball and his ability to change a game with a piece of magic. Has found his position on the left of midfield, but can cause damage in the hole behind the front men or indeed as a striker himself. Was signed from Stevenage Borough for a Conference record £240,000."

Interestingly he played 6 times for England "C" the Semi Pro International side but clearly this doesn't stop him qualifying, via a grandparent, to play for Scotland.
  • Very good player.
  • on the older versions of FM it said he was a charlton fan but not on the newer versions.. Very skillfull creative midfielder can play wide left or through the middle, not a cats chance in hell he would sign for us unless we make the prem at some point..
  • Scored against us for Welling a few years ago at PVR in a pre season friendly. Finished one each.
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]on the older versions of FM it said he was a charlton fan but not on the newer versions.. Very skillfull creative midfielder can play wide left or through the middle, not a cats chance in hell he would sign for us unless we make the prem at some point..

No one would have believed 3 years ago that in a few years time we know Peterborough players are out of our reach.
  • If he plays tonight for Posh he will break their consecutive appearances record. 124 games, hasn't missed a league game since he joined. Absolutley loved there, well done.
  • According to SSN Middlesborough in discussions with Posh to sign him - presumably on loan with a view to a permanent signing.
  • Who was the youth team manager who let him go?
  • Sponsored links:

• Signed for Forest 'til end of season.
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Who was the youth team manager who let him go?
    Would have been released around 2000 to 2001, so if anyone has the old handbooks from those seasons you should be able to find it in there. I'm not at home at the moment. Considering some of the players that have gone pro and are now nowhere near a decent level, it's strange really he never got the chance to develop. Maybe it was his own fault though, attitude perhaps? Some players have benefitted in the long term from being released.

What makes it look worse is if you have a look at who our u17 and u19 players were (as it was at the time, since changed to u18), pretty much none of them are in football. If they are, it's at a very low level. Even some of the players that won pro contracts aren't playing at a decent level.

It's something that has improved slowly over the years I think. We're at least producing players that are having decent pro careers (such as Barry Fuller at Gillingham), and if players like Stavrinou don't make it here they're hopefully at least good enough for Blue Square Prem/League Two standard.

Back when Alistair John went on loan to Brighton (3/4 years ago I think), I was told by a Brighton fan that apparently we weren't looking after our younger players. He went to Brighton very unfit and couldn't manage a whole game. Not sure to what extent it's true or who's fault it was, but there must have been something in it for rumours like that to be coming up.
  • another charlton youth player who has slipped through our fingers and has done really well
  • You say "another" like there is a long list of players who have gone on to do better things than us? Can you name me 10 from the last 15 years?
    Boyd is no doubt a decent player (who I'd currently have in our side) but ultimately he's playing in the same division as us and has played in divisions below us for most of his career.
  • edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]You say "another" like there is a long list of players who have gone on to do better things than us? Can you name me 10 from the last 15 years?
    Boyd is no doubt a decent player (who I'd currently have in our side) but ultimately he's playing in the same division as us and has played in divisions below us for most of his career.

In answer to your question, from the top of my head, playing at a higher level is the following X1:

Randolph
    Campbell-Rice
    Sam
    Turner
    Shelvey
    Wright
    Defoe
    Lisbie
    Konchesky
    Parker
    Shittu (just released by Bolton - played in World Cup and doubt if he'll end up in League 1)

Most didn't "slip" through our fingers though.
  • Randolph - Wasn't released as a youth product so didn't "slip through our fingers"
    Campbell-Rice - Released when we were in the Prem. has never reached that level
    Sam - Wasn't released as a youth product so didn't "slip through our fingers"
    Turner - released when were in the Prem. Has now got back there after 4 or so seasons in league one and the Championship. Maybe the one player who fits the criteria
    Shelvey - Wasn't released as a youth product so didn't "slip through our fingers"
    Wright - Wasn't released as a youth product so didn't "slip through our fingers". Hard to keep him when we had Shelvey, Bailey, Semedo etc but maybe a case here
    Defoe - You are joking! Was stolen from us. Didn't "slip through our fingers
    Lisbie - Oh, FFS
    Konchesky - You're having a laugh
    Parker - We sold him for £12m - hardly slipped through our fingers now did he?
    Shittu (just released by Bolton - played in World Cup and doubt if he'll end up in League 1) Released when we were in the Prem. Has played one full season at that level and was relegated.

So from that list Turner and maybe Wright.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]So from that list Turner and maybe Wright.
    And they don't really count. As you say Turner worked his way back up the leagues. Only became the player he is through getting that chance.

Perhaps if Sankofa had been let go at a younger age instead of being a back up player in the Championship he'd have been a better player.

Not seen Wright play since he was here but I'd still doubt he's better than Semedo or even Racon.
  • Yeah - and hardly any of them 'done really well' have they?

Let's take them one by one

Randolph - Left at the end of last season for the heady heights of... Motherwell
    Campbell-Ryce - Set the world on fire with his lightning pace, poor control and ability to run into blind alleys at... Barnsley and Bristol City
    Sam - Left this year, after a number of years of inconsistency (one good game, three shite ones) and currently doing pretty well at Leeds... after five games
    Turner - Decent player. Anyone who saw him play for our reserves when he was a kid would see why he was let go though - no pace, first touch of a donkey.
    Shelvey - Hardly 'let go' was he? I think selling him was pretty much responsible for keeping the club afloat
    Wright - Shit then, shit now.
    Defoe - Ponced by West Ham - can't possibly include him in the list
    Lisbie - LOL. Divides opinions... but can't be said to have 'proved himself' after leaving us!
    Konchesky - Left because he couldn't get on with Curbishley. Is a very, very average player who has struck gold with Hodgson
    Parker - Like Defoe, you can't include him here for obivous reasons
    Shittu - Had no chance of breaking through when he was with us - looked even rawer than Mambo when he was let go.

I appreciate that you qualified your list by saying most didn't 'slip through our fingers', but with the greatest of respect, that's exactly what Coltsgoalie inferred we had a habit of doing. I've yet to see one single youth team player (with the possible exception of Michael Turner) who we've let 'slip through our fingers' in the past twenty years. Anybody name one? The last I can think of is Matt Elliott - and he didn't even come through the youth team.
  • Dammit. Henners has stolen my thunder! That'll teach me to type too slowly!
  • Where did Matt Elliott come from?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Where did Matt Elliott come from?
    Esher or somewhere like that, I think.

EDIT - Epsom & Ewell and Leatherhead before he signed for us.
  • Last 15 years?

Jlloyd Samuel ......again 'stolen', this time by Aston Vanilla.

Lee Bowyer ...... the forgotten man of McDonalds. Sold to finance our promotion push to the Prem.

Kemi Izzet ..... had 2 seasons in the Champs with Colchester

The Keeper at Blackburn .....so famous I've forgotten his name.

Harry Arter .....sorry, wrong list
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

The Keeper at Blackburn .....so famous I've forgotten his name.

Jason Brown
  • I forgot Shaun Newton.

And just before him Steve Brown, Linvoy Primus, Richard Rufus
  • And just before them;

Robert Lee ....arguably the most talented turnstile operator in the game, England international and West Ham supporter.

Carl Leaburn ....... England u-20 cap and Wimbledon non-goalscoring legend
    Kim Grant ........ Charlton non-goalscoring legend
  • Linvoy primus

Matt elliot

The kimble twins

Was richard gough with us a youngster or am I going mental?

rio ferdinand...

All defenders for some reason..
  • edited September 2010
    Once again though, none of them 'slipped through our fingers'. I hate it when people infer our youth system doesn't spot talented players and we let them go for nothing - it's absolute, utter bollocks, yet people rarely get pulled on it.

And Adam - where did you get Rio Ferdinand from? He was never anywhere near our books - I ought to know, he went to my school!
  • edited September 2010
    I thought I'd qualified it by saying "most didn't slip through our fingers though". Unfortuantely, unless it's one of their own posting the clique tend to either ignore or refuse to read what has been said.

My response was to the question as to who is playing at a higher level because the intimation was that George Boyd isn't worth mentioning because he's only playing at this level.

George Boyd would have walked into our team in the Championship let alone now: a winger who averages almost 1 goal every 3 games and who has set up countless goals for the likes of McLean and Mackail-Smith. We haven't had a forward capable of doing that in the last few years let alone a wide man and we also spent four times what he cost from Stevenage for McLown.

There aren't many who have slipped through the net but he definitely is one. As is Jem Karacan. But hey why let our blind allegiances get in the way of the facts when it's so much easier to slag off every single player (just to be clear I'm not talking about Boys here) who dares to better himself by leaving us. They're not all Defoes.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]I thought I'd qualified it by saying "most didn't slip through our fingers though". Unfortuantely, unless it's one of their own posting the clique tend to either ignore or refuse to read what has been said.

My response was to the question as to who is playing at a higher level because the intimation was that George Boyd isn't worth mentioning because he's only playing at this level.

George Boyd would have walked into our team in the Championship let alone now: a winger who averages almost 1 goal every 3 games and who has set up countless goals for the likes of McLean and Mackail-Smith. We haven't had a forward capable of doing that in the last few years let alone a wide man and we also spent four times what he cost from Stevenage for McLown.

There aren't many who have slipped through the net but he definitely is one. As is Jem Karacan. But hey why let our blind allegiances get in the way of the facts when it's so much easier to slag off every single player who dares to better himself by leaving us. They're not all Defoes.
    How did Karacan 'slip through the net'? He's never been on our books.
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]I thought I'd qualified it by saying "most didn't slip through our fingers though". Unfortuantely, unless it's one of their own posting the clique tend to either ignore or refuse to read what has been said.

There aren't many who have slipped through the net but he definitely is one. As is Jem Karacan. But hey why let our blind allegiances get in the way of the facts when it's so much easier to slag off every single player who dares to better himself by leaving us. They're not all Defoes.
    How did Karacan 'slip through the net'? He's never been on our books.

He wasn't and had little or no connection with Charlton:

"My dad hasn't taught me much Turkish yet. He and my mum own a cafe next to Charlton's stadium, I had a season ticket for a year until they got relegated! I think Alan Curbishley came in a couple of times when he was there."

Just because he was never on our books doesn't mean we didn't know about him or that he didn't "slip" through the net.