Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

SIR ALAN CURBISHLEY ON SSN

Comments

• Do you not bore yourself?
  • [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Do you not bore yourself?

sometimes
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]curbs got 15 points from his last 15 games ... a point per game is there and there abouts for safety in the prem.... and it is a 38 game season and he got 47 points in his last season.. they are all facts not opinion[/quote]

just out of interest how many did he get from the last 19 league games?[/quote]

correction it was 17points from last 15 league games and 22 points from last 19 league games... sorry got confused with results cos our run to the 1/4 finals of the FA Cup got in the way ;-)[/quote]

so lets say give or take a few points (taken only over that period he would have been borderline involved in the relegation scrap 40 points area ) although admittedly not rock bottom.
  • Back to OohAahCurbishley's first post, it is interesting to see how Curbs still evidently identifies with the club.
    A bit like with an ex-wife, I guess.

But seriously, it no doubt breaks his heart to see the mess WE are in now, after spending 15 years of his working life contributing massively to what are now termed our 'glory years'

Charlton and Curbishley were synonymous for 15 years. That's a hard habit for both Curbs and OohAah to break. ;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]just out of interest how many did he get from the last 19 league games?

it was 22 points from his last 19 games with us and 13 points clear of relegation. similar to the previous 4 season's tallly and we didn't go down after them.actually 2004/05 season's last 19 only produced 18 points.

i know people don't like to deal in facts,but sometimes you have to face them.
  • [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite][div class=CommentHeader][span]quote# 27[/span][/div][div id=CommentBody_398615 class=CommentBody]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]curbs got 15 points from his last 15 games ... a point per game is there and there abouts for safety in the prem.... and it is a 38 game season and he got 47 points in his last season.. they are all facts not opinion

sorry that is just not fact.
    curb won 4 drew 5 and lost 6 of his last 15 prem games giving 17 points.[/div]

15 points out of his last 15in the prem, but with west ham.
  • [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Curbishley was never in all his time given the amount of money that Pinky and Perky had to spend, as well as there was no way the board were going to sanction deals if they knew that he was leaving in the summer. Maybe if the board told him he had X amount to spend in the summer he may have stayed and we certainly wouldnt be were we are today.

I would be interseted to actually know what was and wasn't offered to Curbishley and whether the promise of a £12-13m transfer kitty would have rekindled his enthusium for the club.
  • Chirpy stirring as usual I see...
  • It would be interesting to know BDV. For years we had virtually the same squad, with maybe one or two additions each season. He never had the eleven million wasted by his successors,to show what he could do. Yes he did buy the odd wrong un, and yes he did fall out with a few players (allegedly) so they wanted to leave. But for all that, things were a damn sight better than they are now. I bet it does hurt him to see all those years of hard work wasted.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Back to OohAahCurbishley's first post, it is interesting to see how Curbs still evidently identifies with the club.
    A bit like with an ex-wife, I guess.

But seriously, it no doubt breaks his heart to see the mess WE are in now, after spending 15 years of his working life contributing massively to what are now termed our 'glory years'

Charlton and Curbishley were synonymous for 15 years. That's a hard habit for both Curbs and OohAah to break. ;o)

And there's many more of us out there, Oggy.
    The squad he left us with was as good as could be expected with the resources he was given.
    Just because we get a few people on sites like this knocking him, the majority showed what they thought of him, as the great send off he got at the Valley proves, and as the man said himself, "he left through the front door"...How many manager’s will we have had, before one does that again?
  • Sponsored links:

• pretty sure he is quoted as saying he wasn't offered the Dowie Dowry!
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]pretty sure he is quoted as saying he wasn't offered the Dowie Dowry!
    Probably because of his inflated salary that he was on we couldnt afford to give him money to spend?
  • I suggest you go out and buy his autobiography.......its all in there.

He says that he wanted to see out the final year of his contract and then leave - Murray wanted security and continuity and in April 2006 wanted Cubs to extend it by another 2 or 3 years so when trying to bring players in over that summer he could entice them with stability etc rather than explain that Curbs was going in a year (why his would have to be disclosed to players I will never know).

Curbs was adamant that he wanted to see he final year out and not sign a extension - both parties eventually agreed to let Curbs go "out the front door" and bring in new manager that summer. Hence Curbs leaves a year early with the flag waving send-off he got (plus tickts to New Zealand to see his sister) and we have to find a manager in May/June in time for them to assess squad and pick out players needed before transfer window re-open in July.

I bet in hindsight M Murray feels that he should hav kept Curbs for 1 more season and given him he money he gave Dowie.
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]I bet in hindsight M Murray feels that he should hav kept Curbs for 1 more season and given him he money he gave Dowie.

just a bit,how much would it have been worth paying to keep him and charlton in the prem? possibly worth inflating his salary too.
  • Well Dowie got 11 mil, sure. But Curbs got 10 mil for the Parker transfer and he bought Jeffers, Rommedahl etc, if I'm not mistaken.
  • And it's all too late, because the damage is done.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Well Dowie got 11 mil, sure. But Curbs got 10 mil for the Parker transfer and he bought Jeffers, Rommedahl etc, if I'm not mistaken.

yeah,the stadium built itself.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Well Dowie got 11 mil, sure. But Curbs got 10 mil for the Parker transfer and he bought Jeffers, Rommedahl etc, if I'm not mistaken.

It is kind of a myth that Curbs never even got half the money Dowie had to spend. 00/01 he spent £10m on Jensen, Johansson, Kishishev, Bagheri and at the end of it, Bartlett. 01/02 Rowett and Euell for decent money as well. Other seasons didn't have loads, but still bought players like Darren and Marcus Bent for a few million each, Ambrose somewhere around £1m etc.
  • [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Well Dowie got 11 mil, sure. But Curbs got 10 mil for the Parker transfer and he bought Jeffers, Rommedahl etc, if I'm not mistaken.

yeah,the stadium built itself.

North Stand was expanded 3 years before he had that money. TV money paid for that surely?
  • Watched the interview on SKY this afternoon, cannot understand why he has used the word 'we' twice as that would infer that he is still part of the Charlton setup, unless of course there is something that we have not been told. In all seriousness though he will only ever return to us when we receive new investment.
  • Sponsored links:

• have you ever wondered how much it would cost to build a midtable side,i mean a proper one like man city have or sunderland? ours was a pittance compared and you say the money that dowie was given,what about the rest of the cash in the same season given to pardew. curbs was never given anywhere near that total.
  • i still think we have and should be asking more questions about tyhe board, Curbs wanted to sign a one year deal that would have kept us up that year and brought in the 30m plus the tv deal would have put in the coffers, murray and others wanted him to sign a longer deal and would not accept the one year deal, if we had we would have been able to have gone for a top manager with a good prem squad with x amounts of cash to spend and not the parade of muppets we have had since.
  • He wasnt offered a one year deal mate - he just had a year left on his contract and would not sign an extension, which RM felt was not good in terms of persuading players to coem etc.
  • WSSWSS
    edited February 2009
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/7869892.stm

That is full of THEY's rather than WE's.

Sorry oohahh.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]From the Beeb page:

"Although Charlton appear in grave danger of relegation to League One, Curbishley insisted that relegation was not a certainty yet.

"When I first went to Charlton as a player we stayed up by one point and the next season we got promotion," he added.

"It can be done but they've got to start winning games and putting three or four results together very quickly."

Forget what the Defeatists say, Curbs is now MY hero........!

;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/7869892.stm

That is full of THEY's rather than WE's.

Sorry oohahh.

I've seen SSN's interview and it was full of "we"s - made me jump too, thought for a minute I'd gone back in time. BBC Sport might have edited his quotes because "we" would look odd in a written piece.
  • Like you know anything about editing on the BBC website!

;-)
  • Why are we talking about an out of work ex-West Ham manager?

Short memories people on here.

C***s last 18 months were turgid and dull.

I for one am loving this seasons rollercoaster ride.
  • Its the biggest drop i've ever experienced on a rollercoaster
  • Enjoy the ride!