Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your Poppy

Comments

• Options
    Just checked. It was written in 2004.......Sorry
  • Options
    So there will be no poppies, no cornflowers, no veterans and no-one here knows why they have the day off work.

Time for me to do something about it ;-

One final question I have:

Was the 11 o'clock GMT, because the Armistice wasn't signed in the UK, was it?
  • Options
    Imagine the 11 o clock thing is largely symbolic and will change depending on location ?
  • Options
    But it seems a bit silly if I'm doing a minute's silence an hour before you. What about those people in France who make phonecalls to the UK at midday?
    Surely there should be a standardised time.
    If it was signed at 11am in France then the minute's silence should be at 10 o'clock in England.
  • Options
    Logic says yes to that jim but like I said, 11th hour 11th day 11th month........couldn`t do it at 10
  • Options
    Was the 11 o'clock GMT, because the Armistice wasn't signed in the UK, was it?

The Armistice was signed at 5AM on the 11th in a railway carriage in the Compiègne Forest, the agreement was that the fighting would stop at 11AM.

The 11 O'clock thing was French time, which I think was also UK time, at least for the duration of the war.
  • Options
    Blimey its complicated innit.
  • Options
    But it was in the 18th year ;-

It was signed in Compiègne, France - so at 10am GMT.

So it was at the 10th hour, the 11th day, the 11th month, the 18th year, the 20th century.

I know that this is rather stupid but wouldn't it be nice if it were a bank holiday in both countries and that both countries showed their respects together at the same time. I'd also like to see the ceremony alternated between Paris and London.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Was the 11 o'clock GMT, because the Armistice wasn't signed in the UK, was it?

The Armistice was signed at 5AM on the 11th in a railway carriage in the Compiègne Forest, the agreement was that the fighting would stop at 11AM.

The 11 O'clock thing was French time, which I think was also UK time, at least for the duration of the war.

Wow, maybe we should all sit in railway carriages at 5am to do our minute's silence.

See Shooter - I DO do jokes - just not very good ones.
  • Options
    What a great idea. One that I have not heard before too. Would also ensure that the rememberance aspect would contiue regardless of public attitude. Better than the suggestions for a BH on St Georges day if you ask me. No cyber fight over this one jimmy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd also like to see the ceremony alternated between Paris and London.

The 11th November marks the end of WWI, but we also commemorate those who died in WWII, Korea, the Falklands, Iraq, Afghanistan and all other conflicts on that day in addition to WWI, so it's a bit of an umbrella commemoration and not just about the first WW.
  • Options
    Good point. Still would be a worthwhile thing to do though don`t you think
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I'd also like to see the ceremony alternated between Paris and London.

The 11th November marks the end of WWI, but we also commemorate those who died in WWII, Korea, the Falklands, Iraq, Afghanistan and all other conflicts on that day in addition to WWI, so it's a bit of an umbrella commemoration and not just about the first WW.

Sorry but I don't think that the majority of the population see it that way. The general mindset is that it's to commemorate WW1 - maybe people do think of it as the two World wars together but I don't think that people see it as a general war (with no particular war in mind) commemoration.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]What a great idea. One that I have not heard before too. .

Because it's my idea that I just had. I'd be a bit worried if you'd heard it before because I like to think of myself as one that has original ideas - even if few people ever agree with them.
  • Options
    BFR is right but I tend to agree that people tend to think of the two world wars because of the scale of slaughter. I certainly do although it shouldn`t of course detract from those who lost thrir lives in those other theatres of war.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Good point. Still would be a worthwhile thing to do though don`t you think

Wow - you agree with me Shooter.
    Extraordinary.
  • Options
    Stroppy Buddhist agrees with jm shock.
  • Options
    Ok, officially today is about remembering those that died/served in the British army, even if the popular emphasis is focused on the First WW Armistice.

Also I checked the time question - during WWI the European Allies used the same time, so 11AM was the same in the UK, France, Belgium etc. The Germans worked to a time that was an hour later, and the Russians an hour later than that. Both Germany/Austria and the Allies adopted day-light saving in the spring of 1916.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Ok, officially today is about remembering those that died/served in the British armyquote]

Well, I don't agree with the official line. Most people don't see it that way anyway.
  • Options
    British armed forces not just the army surely - what about Navy and air core....

About remembering WW1 but also, because I believe the UK only has one veteran left from WW1, the WW2 and Korea etc. Making a more general war statement - this needs to happen to have veterans and for us all to remember the horror of war and not the colonial attitude that existed pre WW1 Dulce et Decoum est, etc. no it isn't.

According to Google thee are still two French and 4 British WW1 veterans along with 2 Australians and 2 Americans including the oldest man in Europe who was with the Royal Navy at Jultand in 1916.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Been to see my Nan today. At 99, she's lived through both world wars, which always seems strange to get my head around. To think I'm a bit nervous about my missus giving birth... my Nan gave birth to one of her children during a WW2 air raid!
  • Options
    see a few 'poppy people', as my neice calls them, out and about today.

make sure you buy and wear one......and if you lose it, buy another!
  • Options
    Me & Off It just bought ours in the East India Arms in Fenchurch Street.
  • Options
    Officially don't go on sale until tomorrow apparently !

I do like the Scottish version.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    Mrs Lout was shouting at the TV last night (not an unusual occurrence) - what was irking her was the fact that the newsreaders had started wearing poppies - apparently it's too early!
  • Options
    got one of the little lapel badges on my suit already
  • Options
    surely its never too early?...longer they are on sale, the more money earnt but more importantly the more we think about what it stands for.
  • Options
    But they're not on sale yet, so people are wearing last year's, so no money is being earnt. I agree with Mrs Lout, and don't think it's appropriate to wear them til November.
  • Options
    are on sale in my work. i got one today. little basket full of them with a donation pot. job done.