Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Your Poppy

edited November 2008 in Not Sports Related
Green leaf pointing up or down? I thought it looked better up but everyone on TV seems to wear it downwards.
To solve the problem I have removed my leaf and gone back to the old traditional poppy, looks better I reckon. Don't know why they brought the leaf in.

Comments

• Pointing towards 11 o'clock
  • No leafs over here and the poppy is velvet rather than paper
  • As long as you wear one then it doesn't matter too much how in my book.

Wear your poppy with pride.
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Pointing towards 11 o'clock

same but agree
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]As long as you wear one then it doesn't matter too much how in my book.

Wear your poppy with pride.
  • Wear it how you like,
    But,please, WEAR ONE.
  • I have a paper one on my work shirt, a metal badge one on my work fleece, and a large plastic one on my car radiator grill.
  • Mine is leaking sap all over my shirt.
  • Where did you get the metal one;
    The same place as the "Charlton-Life" badges ?
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]and a large plastic one on my car radiator grill.

fnnarr fnnarrr.
  • [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]Where did you get the metal one;
    The same place as the "Charlton-Life" badges ?

LOL

other half got some near work in Liverpool Street
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]No leafs over here and the poppy is velvet rather than paper

Canadian fops.

Up is the only way, surely.
  • Leaf up for me. The poppy is a symbol of something good that grows from bad, you very rarely see a leaf growing downwards, do you?

I'd like someone to develop one that you can stick on/iron on then remove, for short term use. I'd like to be able to sport one when I referee on Sunday and it would be nice if teams can sport them too, I know there are clubs who would like their players to do so.

Given how many will be playing/officiating on Sunday morning so missing out on remembrance services, it would be nice to do something like that on top of having the minute's silence before kick-off. Which of course I will be doing at both games I ref on Sunday.
  • edited November 2008
    11 o' clock.
  • i bought mine at Parkhead :-)

Got one on my phone one on my jumper.
  • *RANT ALERT*
    Always attend the New Cross memorial on Rememberance Sunday in Lewisham Way.
    Good to see more and more kids (guides,Scouts,etc) getting involved each year.
    Still p*ss*s me off how many cars can't stop for acouple of minutes and toot their horns, even tho' the OB have stopped the traffic. Can't we make it a "nickable" offence ?
    I know its Freedom of Choice but I urge everyone to go out on Sunday Morning and support "Poppy Day".
    Thank you.
    *Rant Over*
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]i bought mine at Parkhead :-)

Got one on my phone one on my jumper.[/quote]

Ledge, how'd you get the phone one ?
    Thanks.
  • edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]how'd you get the phone one ?
    Thanks.
    "The ever-popular Poppy Download returns for this year's Poppy Appeal. Make a £1.50 donation using your mobile phone by texting Poppy to 80848, of which 90p goes to the Poppy Appeal (excluding Virgin), and you'll receive a poppy for your mobile phone wallpaper. Just text POPPY to 80848. Tell your friends!"

New ways to support us

Fantastic idea but just 60% going to the Poppy Appeal??? Mobile operators hang your heads in shame
  • must say working at LU

walking round the place and i think i can confirm 100% of staff wearing them

Very pleasing
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]i bought mine at Parkhead :-)

LOL
  • Just got back from laying a reef at Lewisham Way;
    More kids and black faces this year.
    "We Shall Always Remember".
  • Sponsored links:

• Just back from Sittingbourne Cenotaph. Also lots of kids down there, which is great to see. Is certainly something that I'll be instilling into my little one.

We will remember them
  • Must remember to get mine out of the cupboard. I keep one from one year to the next as they don't sell them here in France.
    It's funny how the poppy tradition only exists in Britain (and Canada?)
  • Got to be poppy at 11 o'clock although with the paper ones the trouble is they tend to curl up and slide round to the bottom anyway. Just done the poppy download thing, brilliant! Never knew about this.

Regarding the observing of the two minutes silence on the 11th, i can't believe how some people just seem unaffected by it. Last year while i was on my post round i pulled over in my van and in the two minutes i was approached by three people asking if i had any post for them. When i put my finger to my lips and went shhh i couldn't believe the looks i got. And one of those was an OAP who i thought would of known better. Made them all wait though!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Must remember to get mine out of the cupboard. I keep one from one year to the next as they don't sell them here in France.
    It's funny how the poppy tradition only exists in Britain (and Canada?)[/quote]

I thought the French tradition was to wear a cornflower?
  • I didn`t know that.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Must remember to get mine out of the cupboard. I keep one from one year to the next as they don't sell them here in France.
    It's funny how the poppy tradition only exists in Britain (and Canada?)

I thought the French tradition was to wear a cornflower?

A cornflower?
  • In France it is the symbol of the 11th November 1918 armistice and, as such, a common symbol for veterans (especially the now defunct poilus of World War I), similar to the poppies worn in the United Kingdom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornflower
  • Even though 11 November remains a public holiday in France and the president leads a remembrance ceremony every year beneath the Arc de Triomphe, the commemoration goes widely unnoticed by the French public. The French equivalent of the poppy, the paper cornflower whose blue colour recalls the French sky-blue uniforms, is rarely seen in the buttonholes of television presenters or politicians, and it is almost impossible to find one on sale. Every year, a dwindling number of first world war veterans attend the Arc de Triomphe wreath- laying ceremony but this year none of the surviving 15 Frenchmen - aged between 105 and 109 - were well enough to take part
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]In France it is the symbol of the 11th November 1918 armistice and, as such, a common symbol for veterans (especially the now defunct poilus of World War I), similar to the poppies worn in the United Kingdom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornflower

Very interesting - I didn't know about the cornflower probably because, as Shooter says, it's no longer used. I've been in France for 5 years and haven't seen it.

Shooter's wrong about the other stuff. The wreath laying ceremony is on Tuesday - not today, and none of the veterans are taking part because they're all dead. There are no 15 surviving Frenchmen - the last one died recently (according to my wife).

I know that in Lyon there is always a ceremony in the town centre at 11am - it will be interesting to see what (if anything) happens in a small town like St Claude (where I now live). Everyone will probably light up a pipe at 11am!
  • My bit above was copied from an article in the independant that I googled. Not sure if completely correct.