Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Boo Boys Question!

edited October 2008 in General Charlton
I have a question here. Obviously everybody is entitled to their own opinion and you can do what you like at the ground.

However........

How on earth can it have a positive effect booing the team off at half time when they had actually played so well (17 shots on goal). One silly mistake cost us a goal. Then in the second half to boo players every time they touch the ball (Kelly Y being one of them) is just stupid.

I sit in the west lower (Block c) and they were doing it there as they were in the North. It was great though when the small section of the North Upper sung "VFR".

At times I am saddened and ashamed of some of our fans. Why come to a game to moan and boo your way through the 90 minutes! If you want to vent any negative feelings do it away from the ground and on the net!

Rant Over!

Comments

• Options
    I was embarrassed by it last night. It did quieten down about 10 mins before the end when hoards of people left.
    there was the usual boo that ran round at the end, but thats kinda expected, and although I wouldn't join in, i can see why people do it then. during the game is disgusting in my opinion and very sad at what a club we have become. lower your expectations people. remember where we were 10/15 years ago, and think about what would happen to make you boo then. now all it seems is a slight mistake to set you off. It was a horrible atmosphere at The Valley last night, and at times I felt embarrassed to be sitting in the stands.
  • Options
    with you on this one RobRoy ;
    around us (J block) after 34 minutes 2 people started boo-ing, and in the 49th minute several others joined in.
    So for the last 40 minutes the players (whom I'm sure do realize they are losing) have that "weight" around their necks aswell. You could see the City players growing in confidence the louder it become. As I said yesterday, after the match do/say/shout what you want, but during the game try and SUPPORT your team.
  • Options
    Why all the booing.I don't know.Maybe because we were losing.Maybe because we missed a hatfull.Thing is,booing is part and parcel of the game unfortunately.And that will NEVER change,but there is a way to stop it!
  • Options
    well said suzi.

agree with you too royroy, i'm not a booer but i can understand people venting their emotions after the game but during the game and at individual players is wrong. i was also ashamed last night and i actually started wondering how much more i can take, not the performances surprisingly but the attitude of some of our fans. what has happened to us.
  • Options
    100% agree. It was a total joke. As I walked to the car I was surprised by the dross that was coming out of peoples mouths. Bring curbs back this, curbs would never let this happen. People actually booing in the street.
  • Options
    The Booing at Half Time was a disgrace the Booing at Full time I can sort of Understand. My end of match protest was to refuse to clap them off but that's just me. The Booing three minutes into the second half I really do not understand.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: robroy[/cite] People actually booing in the street.

LOL.Are you sure they were actually people?
  • Options
    look when ru u people going to realise this happens at every league ground in the country why is ours any different im not 1 for booing yes u r right it is negative but i moan when things aint right and believe me they aint and i cheer when things are going well its just human nature what would you prefer seats being torn out and thrown on the pitch its just the way it is and it will always be that way .
  • Options
    boogica> this is charlton, I hoped we'd always be different.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]I was embarrassed by it last night. It did quieten down about 10 mins before the end when hoards of people left.
    there was the usual boo that ran round at the end, but thats kinda expected, and although I wouldn't join in, i can see why people do it then. during the game is disgusting in my opinion and very sad at what a club we have become. lower your expectations people. remember where we were 10/15 years ago, and think about what would happen to make you boo then. now all it seems is a slight mistake to set you off. It was a horrible atmosphere at The Valley last night, and at times I felt embarrassed to be sitting in the stands.[/quote]

I agree at half time it was not on as they had played a very good half. However i wanted them to know at full time that the shift they put in for the second half was shocking and the only way to convey that was to boo. I don't join in every week and i do back the team vocally even last night until the end of the game. But I'm afraid certain people out there last night jacked it in and i was not happy with that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My only question is how can it help a team that had actually played well in the first half by booing them off. Booing when players touch a ball. I just think we had a load of city fans in with us home fans last night haha
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: robroy[/cite]I have a question here. Obviously everybody is entitled to their own opinion and you can do what you like at the ground.

However........

How on earth can it have a positive effect booing the team off at half time when they had actually played so well (17 shots on goal). One silly mistake cost us a goal. Then in the second half to boo players every time they touch the ball (Kelly Y being one of them) is just stupid.

I sit in the west lower (Block c) and they were doing it there as they were in the North. It was great though when the small section of the North Upper sung "VFR".

At times I am saddened and ashamed of some of our fans. Why come to a game to moan and boo your way through the 90 minutes! If you want to vent any negative feelings do it away from the ground and on the net!

Rant Over!

AGREE
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]I was embarrassed by it last night. It did quieten down about 10 mins before the end when hoards of people left.
    there was the usual boo that ran round at the end, but thats kinda expected, and although I wouldn't join in, i can see why people do it then. during the game is disgusting in my opinion and very sad at what a club we have become. lower your expectations people. remember where we were 10/15 years ago, and think about what would happen to make you boo then. now all it seems is a slight mistake to set you off. It was a horrible atmosphere at The Valley last night, and at times I felt embarrassed to be sitting in the stands.

AGREE
    [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]with you on this one RobRoy ;
    around us (J block) after 34 minutes 2 people started boo-ing, and in the 49th minute several others joined in.
    So for the last 40 minutes the players (whom I'm sure do realize they are losing) have that "weight" around their necks aswell. You could see the City players growing in confidence the louder it become. As I said yesterday, after the match do/say/shout what you want, but during the game try and SUPPORT your team.

AGREE
    [cite]Posted By: billy cotton[/cite]well said suzi.

agree with you too royroy, i'm not a booer but i can understand people venting their emotions after the game but during the game and at individual players is wrong. i was also ashamed last night and i actually started wondering how much more i can take, not the performances surprisingly but the attitude of some of our fans. what has happened to us.

AGREE
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Why all the booing.I don't know.Maybe because we were losing.Maybe because we missed a hatfull.Thing is,booing is part and parcel of the game unfortunately.And that will NEVER change,but there is a way to stop it!

DISAGREE Back when we were a Nationwide division one side finishing midtable every season I was only young but don't remember hearing booing for anyone but the ref, lino and opposition!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    DISAGREE Back when we were a Nationwide division one side finishing midtable every season I was only young but don't remember hearing booing for anyone but the ref, lino and opposition!

You obviously never saw Carl Leaburn play then.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]
    You obviously never saw Carl Leaburn play then.

As I say I was quite young so maybe just don't remember but I know Booing was rare even at the people i have listed!
  • Options
    The way some turn nowadays, i think if Leaburn played now, and scored something like 4 in 84 games, there is a good chance a section of the crowd would of hired a hitman to take him out by now.
  • Options
    suzie we used to be different since we got into the prmiership we had anew breed of supporter who loved the glory they have been spoilt and now things are going pearshaped they start booing as i said i dont boo i have a moan yes , but these supporters who boo know who they are should remember weve been in the lower leagues b4 ive been there with the club and if they dont get behind the team they will find out wot it is like or probably go back to watching other london clubs.
  • Options
    If that hitman was Gray he'd probably miss. :-)
  • Options
    who does actually boo,what a silly noise i just volley abuse i find it much more effective and fulfilling
  • Options
    To the 4 kids in the rowin front of me and one bloke who is old enough to know better two rows behind me... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to you winkers.

i cringe to my toes i cant bear the booing. shameful.
  • Options
    Because they are moronic idiots with an iq probably less than fifty,combined.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]who does actually boo

I generally find its the people who shout 'fish'.
  • Options
    that f--kin fish they should batter the f--kin thing.
  • Options
    The thing that gets me with the booing is that there is no passion in it. Those who are booing are doing because they feel they should, not because they really mean it.

Those who seem the most pissed of with things tend to move way past booing in to a tourettes style stream of consciousness style rant. That approach is far better if you ask me. It has comedy value, especially when they start dribbling, but also it is generally so incoherent there is no way the players will be able to conclusively say it was aimed at them someone could just be having a fit of some kind.
  • Options
    thats definately me
  • Options
    yep, agree. booing is lazy. the bloke in front of me had me in stitches towards the end as he was venting his spleen. so creative with his words and the veins popping out of his head, at least he was showing some emotion.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]that f--kin fish they should batter the f--kin thing.

I'll eat that!

[cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]thats definately me

I prefer to Shout as load as i can "Feckin Gray hit the target or Feckin pass the ball you muppett"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]suzie we used to be different since we got into the prmiership we had anew breed of supporter who loved the glory they have been spoilt and now things are going pearshaped they start booing as i said i dont boo i have a moan yes , but these supporters who boo know who they are should remember weve been in the lower leagues b4 ive been there with the club and if they dont get behind the team they will find out wot it is like or probably go back to watching other london clubs.

Well the people near me that boo have been going for years and years, and are not premiership watchers, so I think you're wrong. I think its a mixture of people. Some premiership years, some old time fans, some old people, some young. I don't think there is a certain type of booer. I think there are a lot of fans on this forum, that have been going for years that vent their opinions with the high expectations of the premier league lot, but have in fact been to watch charlton in the 70s and 80s, and then justify that they expect more. That doesn't mean they are booing although some of them admit they do.
  • Options
    I think for those of you (maybe 5-6000) who stayed right until the end will find the boos were fairly and squarely directed at Pardew......

The guy seems totally unable to lift a team. We played well for 25 mins in the first half and then just got worse up until half time. I fully expected a Charlton team to come out second half fired up and happy to put the final 20 minutes of the first half behind them after a good team talk at half time....and look what we got...we couldnt string two passes together at times and to be honest I thought we were appalling. Youga's confidence was low going into the game, so why not play Basey? Persevering with this type of player will not have a positive effect and to be honest mid way through the second half you could see that players were unwilling to pass to him, and then he didnt even bother to run back and cover. With this squad, we shouldnt be in this position. Our tactics, finishing, passing, movement are a shambles chaps, and that is down to those that coach, manage and supposedly motivate the so called team. Its very easy to stop the booing....put in a decent honest fighting shift and it will be eradicated...until then, just get used to it....people get frustrated and vent it....
  • Options
    Booing has always been around football.It's just football has changed.

I blame women for this. ;-)
  • Options
    The bloke behind me, as soon as they scored, his immediate reaction was "oh thats it Pardews got to go" and then booed at regular intervals. If I wasn't into peace and love, I'd have punched his f*cking lights out!! Pathetic!!