Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Favourite Beer

As off it is still online I thought I'd kick off this thread

Current favourites are Okanagan Spring 1516 and Baron (Czech)

Pub favourite is Stella

All time favourite is too hard but probably Augustiner from Munich

Comments

• LOL!

I do like a London Pride, or a Youngs Special, or a Stella. But basically, I'm not that fussy!
  • London Pride, Spitfire or Abbot if they are on. Any Marlstons (tomorrow in nottingham) as they are all pretty good. All English Lager is nothing but piss, I know this because I lived in Germany for two years, specifically Cologne. Kolsh (Gaffel, Mhuelen, Reissdorf or the best of the best, Phaeffgen if you can get in there!)
  • Good thread vancouver

Canadian

Okanagan Spring IPA although the 1516 is good too
    Bowen Island IPA loverly and cheap as chips (sorry fries) !!
    Waterloo Dark Ale

UK
    London Pride
    Rebellion IPA was my local session ale in High Wycombe
    Theakstons Best

I'm getting thirsty - cheers!!
  • Erdinger Weissbrau...on draught.....hard to come by.
  • London Pride
    Badger
    Bombardier
    Adnams
  • Guinness
    Fischer
    La Reserve
    Stella
  • Theakstons Old Peculiar,although I cant drink many of them.
    I have to agree with VFR English lager aint all that.I'm afraid the Germans do do it a lot better than us and for that matter anyone else. I too like Kolsh and having worked in Cologne and other parts of Germany I can honestly say I never once saw any of our crap brewed lager.
    We brew some very fine beer in this country but most choose to drink pure chemical.
  • Bishops Finger or Leffe Brune at the moment.
  • Adnams Southwold Bitter
    St Austell Cornish Bitter
    Wadworths 6x
    Brakspeare
    Sam Smiths Old brewery

Quite like those Koppaberg ciders at the mo as an alternative to real ale
  • Any form of Kristalweizen is good to drink in summer.

German beer is brewed under the "Reinheitgebot" - German beer brewing laws which have been in existence since 1516 - originally the brewers could only use water, barley, and hops and no other ingredients including additives. The laws came into force well before yeast had been discovered, so the brewers either used to use sediment from the previous fermentations or let natural yeast do the job. I think the laws have been relaxed a little now but most brewers still use the old traditional methods.

Every town and even villages have breweries that serve the local area and locally to here there is Rothaus, brewed in the Hoch Schwarzwald and in town Ganterbrau (which is ok, nothing special). Somewhere near Gladbach there is a dark beer that looks like guinness but is a beer, there is also a variety of that served in Munich but I can't think what it's called (it isn't Augustiner).
  • Sponsored links:

• Owd Roger
    Used to get a beer around here called Nethergate. Always variable quality, but cheap as chips - many happy memories.
    Spitfire & Bishops Finger
    London Pride - pub beer
    Leffe Brun (great choice Henry)
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    Tanglefoot from the supermaket.
  • fuller esb is the king of beers and I was on it at the brewery yesterday and now in nottingham where the beer is fantastic
  • I like a Hurlimans for its strange properties, love meantime red beer also.
  • All these people drinking wifebeater (made 5 min up the road from me) - shocking!

Sapporo Jap beer is surprisingly nice (made from rice) but you can't beat Shephard Neame Kentish beer....

The beer is great in Nottingham; I used to live there and there are some great real ale boozers - the best is probably the Lincolnshire Poacher on Mansfield Road (North of the City centre up the hill) loads of lovely beers in there!
  • BTW agree about German lagers, those and the Czechs (who invented Pilsner) make the best lager in the world.

Also agree with the bigging up of Badger beers and London Pride

Makes you thirsty doesn't it?
  • Of the commonly available lagers, Pilsner Urquell is my favourite as it has a decent hoppy, bitter quality.
    Almost all UK brewed lager is pish, mainly because it's full of chemicals (including, UK brewed Stella) which is what cause the hangover. Also, its not true lager, as it's top fermented just like bitter, except using lighter malts.

What we do best is hoppy bitters, of which my top few are Brakspears, Timothy Taylor, St Peter's in bottles and Fullers - Harvey's when I'm seeing the old folks in Sussex. Northern beers tend to be less bitter (TT aside), and Brakspear's ordinary is a great session beer - its about 3.4% but tastes much stronger because of its bitterness.

Anything described as smoothflow or creamflow (Caffreys, Tetleys, Boddingtons in tins) should be avoided totally, and the pub serving it burned to the ground with the landlord still inside.
  • Missing English beer already and I've only been back in Thailand for less than three weeks.

To many good ones to choose but all time favourite was Boddington's bitter from the original Strangeways Brewery, sadly now defunct.

Interesting brewery tap right next to the prison!
  • I was also going to say Boddingtons, but only in the north west of England - never tasted the same down here.
  • King Cobra or Moretti for me
  • TT
    edited September 2008
    Asahi, Kingfisher, perroni or heinekin. I like the Dry taste of Asahi and Perroni... that said i'll drink anything!

I also partical to a guinness, everyone said try it in Ireland it's much better, i did and much prefer our UK version!

I never understood why in America that all beer is served at -2 degrees so you can't taste anything, then i found out it was the only way that Bud was palateable... easily the worst beer in the world
  • Sponsored links:

• I agree with the point about 'smooth' beers. They taste like piss and many of the tastier beers are being remade as smooth (i.e watery). Its especially hard to avoid them up here in the north. They are evil and must be stopped.
  • [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]
    I never understood why in America that all beer is served at -2 degrees so you can't taste anything, then i found out it was the only way that Bud was palateable... d

You could also say that about the beers you've listed as your favourites. In fact, you could sat it about most lagers.
  • Ah... No doubt speaks one of those CAMRA facists! Do you have a tankerd that fits on your belt and look forward to a nice pint of Old Gnat Swaggler ?!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: The Equaliser[/cite]London Pride
    Badger
    Bombardier
    Adnams[/quote]

All the above
    Speckeld Hen
    Whistable Bay
    Spitfire
  • [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]Ah... No doubt speaks one of those CAMRA facists! Do you have a tankerd that fits on your belt and look forward to a nice pint of Old Gnat Swaggler ?!

Err .... no, to both of your points - if indeed they were supposed to be serious points. I quite like a lager myself, but most of it tastes pretty rank once it warms up a bit.
  • [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Equaliser[/cite]London Pride
    Badger
    Bombardier
    Adnams

All the above
    Speckeld Hen
    Whistable Bay
    Spitfire

Unfortunately only the bottled version of Speckled Hen remains any good. The draft version has been watered down for marketing purposes - they found out that people buy less of the proper version, because there's only so much you can take.
  • Broadside.

Anything I've tasted out here in Canada so far has barely qualified as beer imo.
  • Wadworths 6X
    Harvey's Best Bitter
    and the old favourite: ramrod and special
  • Uk... has to be five percent... so stella, kronenburg,grolsh... love a moretti(italian)

Love a pint of midnight(guiness)

Australia...

Love a Carlton Draught...
  • Guiness and Bud