Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Just read that one of my favourite charities,The Donkey sanctuary is closing some depots due to lack of funds,Ah but surprise surprise.chief executives on 160.000 get to keep their jobs,absolute liberty,get rid of these parasites first.
    maybe if they didn't have such a good chief executive, they would raise even less funds and be closing more depots 
    If they are closing depots down he cant be that good,perhaps get shot of him and employ people whos priority is the donkeys and not lining their pockets with my money.Would like to see these people try and match these salaries out side of public funded organisations.
  • Options
    The absolute garbage state of fresh fruit and veg that our supermarkets are charging us a fortune for these days. Can't remember the last time I saw a banana that was ready to eat now and not 5 days from now, or was ready 5 days ago.
    Totally agree,Morrisons bananas recently have been a disgrace.I worked in the fresh produce industry most of my working life,and witnessed the  gradual elimination of your local greengrocers by the supermarkets.You can still find a decent greengrocer in your town centre,and local markets,use them and see the difference in quality.
  • Options
    The absolute garbage state of fresh fruit and veg that our supermarkets are charging us a fortune for these days. Can't remember the last time I saw a banana that was ready to eat now and not 5 days from now, or was ready 5 days ago.
    Totally agree,Morrisons bananas recently have been a disgrace.I worked in the fresh produce industry most of my working life,and witnessed the  gradual elimination of your local greengrocers by the supermarkets.You can still find a decent greengrocer in your town centre,and local markets,use them and see the difference in quality.
    Unfortunately you cannot get the same quality as you can where the fruit is grown. A nectarine or peach should be ripe when you buy it and messy when you eat it. Can’t beat fruit from the Med. I can be bothered to buy these from supermarkets, they are either rock hard or go mouldy before they become sweet. Bananas annoy me every week, Monday morning they are a bit green a couple of days later the remainder are too ripe. 
    We do however grow some nice fruit in this country, cherries apples, plums and homegrown tomatoes are so much better than the supermarket ones. 
  • Options
    edited May 20
    Raising funds in a cost of living crisis is extremely difficult for all charities. Good leadership is vital for charities in the same way as it is for any other business.
  • Options
    My preference is to support small, local charities run in the main by volunteers as the donations are more likely to go directly towards the cause you are supporting in my experience.

The behemoth charities, in the main, are too concerned with creaming off 'admin costs' to cover executive salaries as they see themselves as competing in the charity sector rather than supplying a needed service.
  • Options
    edited May 21
    Unfortunately you cannot get the same quality as you can where the fruit is grown. A nectarine or peach should be ripe when you buy it and messy when you eat it. Can’t beat fruit from the Med. I can be bothered to buy these from supermarkets, they are either rock hard or go mouldy before they become sweet. Bananas annoy me every week, Monday morning they are a bit green a couple of days later the remainder are too ripe. 
    We do however grow some nice fruit in this country, cherries apples, plums and homegrown tomatoes are so much better than the supermarket ones. 
    We are coming into apricot season. My favourite fruit but I only ever buy the Spanish ones in the summer, the south African ones we get in the winter are flavourless, miserable little bullets by comparison. Always try to buy from a market stall - better and cheaper than any supermarket
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    My preference is to support small, local charities run in the main by volunteers as the donations are more likely to go directly towards the cause you are supporting in my experience.

The behemoth charities, in the main, are too concerned with creaming off 'admin costs' to cover executive salaries as they see themselves as competing in the charity sector rather than supplying a needed service.
    I've worked in the charity sector for the last 17 years and fundraising is hard. Money doesn't come into a charity without a lot of hard work and it needs paid staff to do that work. Volunteers are brilliant, but most charities cannot rely on volunteers alone.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I've worked in the charity sector for the last 17 years and fundraising is hard. Money doesn't come into a charity without a lot of hard work and it needs paid staff to do that work. Volunteers are brilliant, but most charities cannot rely on volunteers alone.
    No issue with paid staff in the charity sector but every issue with obscene executive salaries.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    LenGlover said:

No issue with paid staff in the charity sector but every issue with obscene executive salaries.
    What is your answer to the problem Len? 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    LenGlover said:

what would you consider an acceptable wage for running these charities that sometimes have hundreds of millions donated each year ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    LenGlover said:

Idealistic and unrealistic but if the CEO is responsible for closures (as in the case of the donkeys) then he / she should also suffer a financial penalty rather than soak up bonuses and 5 or even 6, in some cases, figure salaries.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    LenGlover said:
    LenGlover said:

what would you consider an acceptable wage for running these charities that sometimes have hundreds of millions donated each year ?
    £100 K tops given the rationale of the organisation.
  • Options
    edited May 21
    LenGlover said:
    LenGlover said:
    LenGlover said:

Idealistic and unrealistic but if the CEO is responsible for closures (as in the case of the donkeys) then he / she should also suffer a financial penalty rather than soak up bonuses and 5 or even 6, in some cases, figure salaries.
    I can't find anything that says the Donkey sanctuary CEO got a bonus? 

We'll have to agree to disagree, if, given the very good and sensible posts written by Canters and ME14 they are not swaying you into a more rational stance.      
  • Options
    edited May 21
    LenGlover said:
    LenGlover said:
    LenGlover said:

We'll have to agree to disagree, if, given the very good and sensible posts written by Canters and ME14 they are not swaying you into a more rational stance.      
    I'm making a general point but feel that if CEOs destroy some or all of their charity then they too should incur a financial penalty and the Donkey Sanctuary has closed depots.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    LenGlover said:
    LenGlover said:
    LenGlover said:

I'm making a general point but feel that if CEOs destroy some or all of their charity then they too should incur a financial penalty and the Donkey Sanctuary has closed depots.
    I guess they take their lead from CEOs of other companies, where they actually do get rewarded bonuses for losing money and closing branches...   
  • Options
    I regularly speak with someone who runs along (as a volunteer) with others a charity that cares for German Shepherds, she tells me on many occasions high profile charities contact her to re home dogs without any of their financial assistance to do so. 
    They’ll just phone and say theres a dog at so and so address needs collection and it’s left to volunteers to relay the dog up or down the country at their own expense.
    Meanwhile the cost of one tv advert asking for £3 would double the groups income via donations for one year. 
  • Options
    Walking into a pub. Proper sports type place. Screens everywhere.
     Music blaring with Celtic folk songs. The place is miserable at the best of times. to hear bag pipes with a lone woman voice singing about her lost love in the war between them (the Scots) and us hundreds of years ago. Fuck me I'm just wanting a quick quiet drink before my bus bothers to show up. 
  • Options
    Another pronunciation change:
    Skoda is now Schkoda. (Radio advert)
  • Options
    Raisin's inability to pay withdrawn funds into my account in less than three days when other providers can do it almost instantly. Account now closed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whenever I see or hear it, all I can picture is Schteve McLaren.
  • Options
    Barbers not taking Card Payments whilst Banks leave the High Street

Was a bloody game trying to find a Cash Machine  in Strood today, especially when the Machines aren't working at Supermarkets
  • Options
    Losing my Debit card at the Baseball last night. Last time I lost it was at Twickenham (returned). Not so sure I'll get it back this time. It's frozen so no worries on thats score luckily. 
  • Options
    Not just the change, but the way they act like there hasn’t been a change and that’s how they’ve always said it. Also see Hyundai. 
  • Options

Was a bloody game trying to find a Cash Machine  in Strood today, especially when the Machines aren't working at Supermarkets
    But you have supported the burgeoning money laundering economy. 😆😉
  • Options
    edited May 25
    JaShea99 said:
    Not just the change, but the way they act like there hasn’t been a change and that’s how they’ve always said it. Also see Hyundai. 
    And it's your bloody fault its been said wrong all these years. I used to have to flog Hoondi's years ago and none of their reps/ management ever said anything other than Hyundai. And Skoda used to be pronounced Schkip or Sched.
  • Options

Cash Machines in Strood are an endangered species! Which Barbers, there are about 10 in the 5 minutes it takes to walk the length of the high street! 
  • Options
    Hitting my hybrid golf club nicely on the driving range but topping every one as soon as I get on the course.
    It's driving me mad.......
  • Options
    The quality of screws nowadays. I bought a box of self tappers, they are soft as shite. 
  • Options
    The quality of screws nowadays. I bought a box of self tappers, they are soft as shite. 
    All stuff like that is shite now, made in China pure quantity over quality. Screwheads never or if they did break off it was a once in a lifetime event. I reckon its one in ten now