Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

General things that Annoy you

Comments

• Options
    I see she’s had her British Citizenship taken away, someone at the home office must have had their weetabix
  • Options
    I would imagine the Home Secretary was the main player in this decision with the backing of the prime minister.
    Sajid Javid the non practicing Muslim who's family worked hard to reap the benefits of living in a democracy did what he said he would.

Because Shamina Begum decided not to condemn the Manchester attack and wasn't contrite she had no chance of coming back to the UK. 

For the Baby's sake it would be beneficial if the child could be raised by a decent Atheist family where love and being a decent human being is the criterion.

• Options
    Things like this

WTF after everything she has been through, it was her choice to go, noone forced her
    Peter Noone?
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Even though I'm an atheist I don't think raising a child out of their culture is a good idea.
    Also I'm sure the revoking of her citizenship will be contested in court. I think that unless she has eligibility for another citizenship it's doubtful this will stick.
    The Home Secretary is being a bit too political about this in my opinion and should let the courts decide.
    After all a big part of our justification for joining in the war against Jihadis was that we live and believe in the law. Not knee jerk reactions to boost the chances of politicians succeeding May.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    iainment said:
    Even though I'm an atheist I don't think raising a child out of their culture is a good idea.
    Also I'm sure the revoking of her citizenship will be contested in court. I think that unless she has eligibility for another citizenship it's doubtful this will stick.
    The Home Secretary is being a bit too political about this in my opinion and should let the courts decide.
    After all a big part of our justification for joining in the war avainst Jihadis was that we live and believe in the law. Not knee jerk reavtions to boost the chances of politicians succeeding May.
    She has duel citizenship, British and Bangladeshi. Hardly knee jerk when you are dealing with someone who can't condone the Manchester terrorist attack.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    After all a big part of our justification for joining in the war avainst Jihadis was that we live and believe in the law. Not knee jerk reavtions to boost the chances of politicians succeeding May.
    She has duel citizenship, British and Bangladeshi.
    I think it’s just Bangladeshi now
    Touché
  • Options
    iainment said:
    After all a big part of our justification for joining in the war against Jihadis was that we live and believe in the law. Not knee jerk reactions to boost the chances of politicians succeeding May.
    I'm not sure giving machine guns to children is the best of cultures.
    Ok I know the US have issues, but even so ....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:
    She has duel citizenship, British and Bangladeshi.
    I think it’s just Bangladeshi now
    Touché
    I don’t think facial hair should have any bearing on citizenship mate...
  • Options
    iainment said:
    You don’t think raising a child outside their culture is a good idea, when the culture they’re currently part of see chopped off heads in bins. Okay then.
    The child, if it's separated from it's mother, should be raised in an environment that reflects it's culture. IS is not culture it's an aberration.
    I think it's puerile to think there aren't muslim families that could raise the child well.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    You don’t think raising a child outside their culture is a good idea, when the culture they’re currently part of see chopped off heads in bins. Okay then.
    The child, if it's separated from it's mother, should be raised in an environment that reflects it's culture. IS is not culture it's an aberration.
    I think it's puerile to think there aren't muslim families that could raise the child well.
    Whilst I don’t think there’s anything wrong with a Muslim family raising this child, I can’t agree that is SHOULD be raised in that environment, simply because a 2 day old child has no culture yet.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    The suggestion by me at least to raise the baby as an atheist  would be more to insult the Mother and the utter garbage that comes out of her mouth.

I'm sure there are many superb parents who were raised as non practicing  Muslims,

Sajid Javid, the home secretary to name just one.
  • Options
    I don’t know if any of you are aware, but out here in the US, there’s a similar story about a young American Muslim who wants to return to the USA after spending time with IS in Syria. Admittedly, there are some differences - for example, she’s a little older (24), and she’s regretful of her actions. (I’m paraphrasing, but she says she misinterpreted a line in the qu’ran as meaning she had no choice but to join the struggle in Syria. She also paints a picture of life in the camp there as being somewhat less than ideal.) But there are clear similarities too.

One thing that immediately occurred to me here was that the American news report (I think it may have been CBS, but not sure) made no mention of the British story. At all. Even if you assume that American news is pretty insular, you’d surely think this was a piece of information relevant to the story? Even if just to compare how the two countries deal with the situation? But no, nothing.
    Which causes me to wonder if this approach is reflected in the British news? So, all of you based in Britain - were you aware of this girl hoping to be allowed to return to the US? Because I really can’t understand why a news programme wouldn’t pick up on such striking parallels.
  • Options
    I don’t know if any of you are aware, but out here in the US, there’s a similar story about a young American Muslim who wants to return to the USA after spending time with IS in Syria. Admittedly, there are some differences - for example, she’s a little older (24), and she’s regretful of her actions. (I’m paraphrasing, but she says she misinterpreted a line in the qu’ran as meaning she had no choice but to join the struggle in Syria. She also paints a picture of life in the camp there as being somewhat less than ideal.) But there are clear similarities too.

One thing that immediately occurred to me here was that the American news report (I think it may have been CBS, but not sure) made no mention of the British story. At all. Even if you assume that American news is pretty insular, you’d surely think this was a piece of information relevant to the story? Even if just to compare how the two countries deal with the situation? But no, nothing.
    Which causes me to wonder if this approach is reflected in the British news? So, all of you based in Britain - were you aware of this girl hoping to be allowed to return to the US? Because I really can’t understand why a news programme wouldn’t pick up on such striking parallels.
    Are you referring to Tania Joya?  She has appeared on British media recently and was on TV yesterday.  She is a Brit who married an American IS fighter and has since completely reversed her radical views.  She actually offered to mentor Begum for the next 10 years.
    Joya now lives in Texas and her 4 children have been supported by her (now) ex husband's parents.  Her story is here.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/the-former-first-lady-of-isis-now-loves-reform-jews-plans-to-visit-jerusalem/
  • Options
    I'd hoped that the Begum story would have dropped out of the news by now so that we can have our thread back. It doesn't seem that it has yet, so I've reluctantly opened a separate thread in the politics section. Please use the following if you feel you need to comment.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/84730/shamima-begum/p1?new=1
  • Options
    The phrase 'many on here'.

Exclusively used to describe a very small number of people, just before the user of the phrase puts some words in the mouths of the 'many' they reference.
  • Options
    The phrase 'many on here'.

Exclusively used to describe a very small number of people, just before the user of the phrase puts some words in the mouths of the 'many' they reference.
    'Many' was used as it's a countable noun. If I'd used 'lots' then it would have been worthy of your scrutiny due to it being an uncountable noun.

Know your English.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had that a few years ago, this young woman had a beetroot salad stunk the train out.
  • Options
    Basically anyone consuming food near me. If we're out at a restaurant together (if you can call McDonalds that) - fine, otherwise it's going to annoy me. Maybe that's not fair, but this is not the "only reasonable things that generally annoy you" thread.

Extra aggrivation points if it's:
    • On a train
    • Smells (even a little bit)
    • Is in tupperware
    • The foodstuff is chewy/moist
    • It leaves food residue around, or on yourself
    Guy on the train this morning (a GWR one with little tables) whips out his little tub of what looked like dogshit (think it was some kind of bran-paste), and a fork (that annoyed me too for some reason, metal one, probably nicked it from work) and chomps down on it for a period of 15-20 mins. He took long breaks between each mouthful as the odour from his stinking old tupperware wafted and matured throughout the carriage.
    Strange that the sound of eating doesn't bother you. That's the thing that drills into my brain. The sound of chewers and open mouth chewers are the biggest coño's of them all. 
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    Richard Madeley, currently presenting GMB with that noisy cackling bint, Kate 'its all about me' Garroway.
    Anyway, they had an article about the new Only Fools and Horses show, they were tenuously linking their upbringing to being from the East End, Madeley says 'actually I was born in Romford, I guess its close to the East End'. No it isn't Madeley, you fool, but what is more annoying is that OFAH is based in Peckham, so has nothing to do with the East End, and this so called journalist/presenter failed to realise that fact...in short the bloke is an utter minge.
    As you can tell, I'm a morning person.
    This is what you get from a crap morning TV show, if you want news head over to the BBC or Sky. If you want adverts, twitter polls, Andy Peters on a beach somewhere asking if you want to money, insignificant celebrities being asked ridiculous questions then stick with GMB.  
    Wont watch the Tory government controlled Beige Broadcasting Corporation plus Sky news is just as right wing. 
    So its GMB plus Piers Morgan is usually on and he seems like a good sort.
  • Options
    Funny how some on the lefft think the BBC is Tory controlled and some people on the right think it's left wing.

Must be doing something right.

Its not funny, it is Tory controlled.