Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

This week I have been reading

Comments

• After finishing Dylan Jones’ Bowie book, now onto Kim Gordon’s Girl in a Band.
  • Currently reading Normandy ‘44 by James Holland. Obviously, we know the outcome but this is a well-written account that busts more than a few myths and misconceptions about D-Day and the preparations. There’s also a lot of personal accounts that I haven’t read elsewhere. 
  • edited February 2020
    I’ve just read a cracking book by Simon Sebag Montefiore titled Sashenka. An insight into the Russian uprising of the Bolshevik, Stalin‘s brutality and an impact on a family. 
  • Caedmon's Song by Peter Robinson. A book he originally wrote before he invented Inspector Alan Banks. Set in the 80's around Whitby and The Cotswolds, it's a revenge thriller with a twist. 
  • edited February 2020
    Solidgone said:
    I’ve just read a cracking book by Simon Sebag Montefiore titled Sashenka. An insight into the Russian uprising of the Bolshevik, Starlin‘s brutality and an impact on a family. 
    Absolutely loved this trilogy and a good insight into Russian mentality during the revolution. I would recommend the other two in The Moscow Trilogy as well: 'Red Sky at Noon' and 'One Night in Moscow' for life under Stalin.
  • edited February 2020
    "The Body"  - Bill Bryson  ................ Learning things I didn't know I didn't  know 
  • holyjo said:
    "The Body"  - Bill Bryson  ................ Learning things I didn't know I didn't  know 
    Superb book. Every paragraph had an amazing fact, and fantastically written too. His science book - and this - should be on the national curriculum
  • Solidgone said:
    I’ve just read a cracking book by Simon Sebag Montefiore titled Sashenka. An insight into the Russian uprising of the Bolshevik, Starlin‘s brutality and an impact on a family. 
    Absolutely loved this trilogy and a good insight into Russian mentality during the revolution. I would recommend the other two in The Moscow Trilogy as well: 'Red Sky at Noon' and 'One Night in Moscow' for life under Stalin.
    Thanks for this. I’ll be ordering the books but it’s apparently ‘One Night in Winter’.

...and talking of trilogies, my next set of books to read are Ken Follett’s First World War trilogy ‘Fall of Giants’, ‘Winter of the World’ and ‘Edge of Eternity’. 
  • Half way through  Mortimer & Whitehouse - Gone Fishing. The accompanying book to the TV series.
    Like the program, its all about life, friendship and good banter. 
  • Sponsored links:

• McBobbin said:
    holyjo said:
    Superb book. Every paragraph had an amazing fact, and fantastically written too. His science book - and this - should be on the national curriculum
    Couldn’t agree more on both counts !
  • Don't read many novels as such.  Mainly factual, pseudo-scientific, conscious expanding stuff!  Currently reading "Is there life after death" by Anthony Peake.  Amazing stuff and basically there is no death.  Always have several books on the go at any one time so also reading "The starless sea" by Erin Morgenstern as I loved her first novel "The Night Circus". 
  • Trying to get through David Copperfield before going to see the new film. Just under half way through, two weeks to get it done. Very good so far.
  • Solidgone said:
    anything by Montefiore, fact or fiction, is well worth a read .. Montefiore's family history reads like an adventure/tragedy story (see also his various TV documentaries)
  • A Biography Of A Poem

September 1, 1939

Ian Sansom
  • Trying to get through David Copperfield before going to see the new film. Just under half way through, two weeks to get it done. Very good so far.
    Keep going, it’s worth it, although my wife has never read it and still loved the film. 
  • Solidgone said:
    Solidgone said:
    Thanks for this. I’ll be ordering the books but it’s apparently ‘One Night in Winter’.

...and talking of trilogies, my next set of books to read are Ken Follett’s First World War trilogy ‘Fall of Giants’, ‘Winter of the World’ and ‘Edge of Eternity’. 
    Sorry, it was a typing error. Of course it is 'One Night in Winter'.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the Ken Follett WW1trilogy and  would recommend many of his other books: 'The Key to Rebecca'; 'Eye of the Needle';  'The Man from St Petersburg' and 'The Modigliani Scandal'.
  • Solidgone said:
    Solidgone said:

Sorry, it was a typing error. Of course it is 'One Night in Winter'.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the Ken Follett WW1trilogy and  would recommend many of his other books: 'The Key to Rebecca'; 'Eye of the Needle';  'The Man from St Petersburg' and 'The Modigliani Scandal'.
    Wasn’t there a film regarding the Modigliani scandal? Judy Dench?
  • Currently reading a remarkable Sports book called: Riding in the Zone Rouge by Tom Isitt

Is about how the French Newspaper; Le Parisien Journal organised a Cycling Event called the Tour of the Battlefields less than six months after the Armistice in 1919 

Event was only held twice (with the 1920 event a one day race rather than stages) yet has been a very good read so far with the author riding the stages whilst researching the book (half the chapters cover the present day)

Only thing I'd warn is its not an account from the riders

Isitt admits early in the book that there are very few accounts from the race itself so there are fictional / non-fictional parts whilst some of the latter are drawn from soldiers diaries of the terrain etc.
  • For anyone who is a fan of the Harry Hole thrillers by Jo Nesbo, I am currently reading Knife and it’s just good as those that have gone before it.
  • Sponsored links:

• 'Big Sky' .. Kate Atkinson .. her last 2 or 3 have been iffy, in this one she is bang back in form
    In the big Waterstones in Sheffield Meadowhall I had the misfortune to browse through John Bercow's 'autobiography' .. me me me me, clever ol me. I did. I did me me me  .. emphasises what a really unpleasant little creep the man is
  • 'Big Sky' .. Kate Atkinson .. her last 2 or 3 have been iffy, in this one she is bang back in form
    In the big Waterstones in Sheffield Meadowhall I had the misfortune to browse through John Bercow's 'autobiography' .. me me me me, clever ol me. I did. I did me me me  .. emphasises what a really unpleasant little creep the man is
    I have and looking forward to reading Bercow‘s other book “Unspeakable”. 
  • edited March 2020
    Solidgone said:
    'Big Sky' .. Kate Atkinson .. her last 2 or 3 have been iffy, in this one she is bang back in form
    Solidgone said:
    'Big Sky' .. Kate Atkinson .. her last 2 or 3 have been iffy, in this one she is bang back in form

'Unspeakable' is the book I was referring to .. could be he is looking to trade in on his infamy rather than his fame. I dare say this book will sell well and make him a few more quid .. the only other 'autobiography' I have read recently which indulges in such mass self adulation is that by Joey Barton .. they make a fine pair ((:>)
  • Fancy an autobiography being about the person writing it.  ;):D  
  • The Tank War, Mark Urban,  very highly respected writer of military history.  Interesting and at times terrifying read.
  • 'The Fox', by Frederick Forsyth is thought provoking as is the mystical 'A Song for Demeter.'
  • Still hacking through David Copperfield. About 300 pages to go and seeing the film next Monday. It’s a race against time!
  • Dead Irish by John Lescroart, as recommended by one of you lovely people - apologies it was a while back so I don't remember exactly who it was. 

Took a while to get going, but by halfway I was hooked. Murder mystery with a few twists and turns. The first of sixteen novels featuring Dismas Hardy - a former cop and lawyer who has turned his back on the rat race and works in a bar. He's lured back into investigation as a favour to a friend. Already got the second novel in the series.   
  • Just finished David 'Bumble' Lloyd's autobiography "Last in the Tin Bath". A really good read covering his young life and county career with Lancashire, playing for England, umpiring, coaching England and finally working on radio and TV.

Loved the story of when Jeff Thomson hit him in the family jewels with a ball in the Ashes. He had to be helped off the field with his "box" in splinters wrapped around his tackle. Asked the physio if he could take away the pain but leave the swelling!
  • Dead Irish by John Lescroart, as recommended by one of you lovely people - apologies it was a while back so I don't remember exactly who it was. 

Took a while to get going, but by halfway I was hooked. Murder mystery with a few twists and turns. The first of sixteen novels featuring Dismas Hardy - a former cop and lawyer who has turned his back on the rat race and works in a bar. He's lured back into investigation as a favour to a friend. Already got the second novel in the series.   
     better late than never .. I've been recommending Lescroart for years