Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This week I have been reading

Comments

• Options
    'For the Record' .. David Cameron .. well written and very interesting 
  • Options
    'For the Record' .. David Cameron .. well written and very interesting 
    I like political biographies but haven’t read that one ... will give it a go, cheers 
  • Options
    "The Girl who takes and Eye for an Eye" - David Lagerkrantz. The fifth in the Millennium series (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). Again, done well in the style of Larsson, plenty to want you to keep reading, with all the favourite characters. My only criticism is that it had a rather hurried ending. I'll say no more as it might be a bit of a spoiler. That said, I am still looking forward to the next in the series.    
  • Options
    Got the first four Robert Galbraith books for my birthday off the back of recommendations on here. Made a start on the first one and really enjoying it... I like Rowling's writing style, she's confident enough to rely on character and story so despite the well trodden subject matter (hard bitten private detective, younger attractive female assistant) she doesn't feel she has to do a feeble impression of Raymond Chandler
  • Options
    Dead Astronauts  Jeff Vandermeer - One of my favourite science fantasy writers on his usual good form 
  • Options
    Cascarino's just finished. VG.
  • Options
    Underworld by Don Delillo. Absolutely amazing book, about a quarter of a way through it. Very sharp and precise and minimal prose but it speaks volumes
  • Options
    Finished Another Planet by Tracey Thorn, now onto Viv Albertine’s To Throw Away Unopened.
  • Options
    cowolter said:
    Underworld by Don Delillo. Absolutely amazing book, about a quarter of a way through it. Very sharp and precise and minimal prose but it speaks volumes
    That's a great book. I read it when it came out - 20 years ago? - but still remember bits of it. I wouldn't mind a re-read.
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Just finishing Horace Panter’s book about his life in The Specials, “Ska’d For Life” very good and eye opening read 
    And the man himself thanked me for my tweet praising his writing style yesterday 😀
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9DA9
    edited April 2020
    Might have been me @Eynsfordaddick - I read it not long ago. Loved it too. 
    @Algarveaddick
    Has Boz had a book out?
  • Options
    Sailing around the World, by Joshua Slocum. The first person to solo circumnavigate.

Its a bit salty.. 
  • Options
    I'm currently reading our work Book Club choice: The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, by Rachel Joyce. A man goes to the post box to post a letter to an old friend, then decides to walk from one end of the country to the other to deliver it in person.

I'm half way through and it's really enjoyable so far. He's walked through Devon and is now into Somerset. It's a nice reminder of the world outside my garden! 
  • Options
    Finished Another Planet by Tracey Thorn, now onto Viv Albertine’s To Throw Away Unopened.
    Both good books 
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    I'm currently reading our work Book Club choice: The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, by Rachel Joyce. A man goes to the post box to post a letter to an old friend, then decides to walk from one end of the country to the other to deliver it in person.

I'm half way through and it's really enjoyable so far. He's walked through Devon and is now into Somerset. It's a nice reminder of the world outside my garden! 
    I enjoyed this book 
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    @Algarveaddick
    Has Boz had a book out?
    No mate, I think that will have to wait until he gives up the day job...  ;)  
  • Options
    Wednesday's Child - Peter Robinson. Standard DCI Banks yarn, decent plot and very readable.  
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    @Algarveaddick
    Has Boz had a book out?
    No mate, I think that will have to wait until he gives up the day job...  ;)  
    LOL, the shit he could tell 😀
  • Options
    Anyone ever read the novels of Camilla Lackberg, a Swedish crime writer? Someone passed on a book to me quite while ago and just got round to it. I would really recommend her and am thoroughly enjoying the book. Unfortunately, I was given the fifth book in the series (The Hidden Child) but I will definitely go back and read the first four. It isn't necessary but the main two characters, a crime writer and a detective, are in them all.
     She has been likened to a Swedish Agatha Christie, 'mixing domestic cosiness with blood-curling horror'. I really like her style.
  • Options
    Anyone ever read the novels of Camilla Lackberg, a Swedish crime writer? Someone passed on a book to me quite while ago and just got round to it. I would really recommend her and am thoroughly enjoying the book. Unfortunately, I was given the fifth book in the series (The Hidden Child) but I will definitely go back and read the first four. It isn't necessary but the main two characters, a crime writer and a detective, are in them all.
     She has been likened to a Swedish Agatha Christie, 'mixing domestic cosiness with blood-curling horror'. I really like her style.
    I have a couple of hers on the shelf, unread .. as you say, often, the problem is coming in half way through a series and asking 'who's this, what's that', though this is true of many serial fictional protagonists (Bosch, Gunter, Davenport etc.) who have a long back story 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just finished Iain M Banks' The Algebraist and although it's not part of his Culture series it is just as incredibly imaginative. Don't know any sci-fi writer that has created anything quite so expansive apart from Arthur C Clarke, and in my long running effort to find another collection that is so absorbing I've just started Larry Niven's Ringworld, the first in this series. Enjoying it so far but seems very much of its time (late 60s/early 70s). I can definitely see the influence for Iain Banks though.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    The Culture series was superb, particularly that characters didn't span books. But for me he started to loose it with Look to Windward. His non sci-fi stuff was also great. RIP.
  • Options
    The Culture series was superb, particularly that characters didn't span books. But for me he started to loose it with Look to Windward. His non sci-fi stuff was also great. RIP.
    Loved the non sci-fi books 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Loved the non sci-fi books 
    Ian/Iain.
  • Options
    Love Iain Banks. And Iain M Banks.
  • Options
    Favourite non sci-fi Banks: The Bridge, Espedair Street, The Crow Road, The Wasp Factory.
    Favourite sci-fi (M) Banks - Player of Games, Use of Weapons, Excession.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I shall give her books a try @Eynsfordaddick. Thanks for the tip. 
  • Options
    I shall give her books a try @Eynsfordaddick. Thanks for the tip. 
    I don't know if they all do but this one I am reading has a historical crime and WWll resistance involved as well. Very good. 
  • Options
    Been reading a bit more lately (wonder why), which is unusual for me.

'Who on Earth is Tom Baker' - Not so much his Dr Who years (although it is covered) more about his early life. Interesting stuff and you wouldn't have to be a Dr Who fan to enjoy it.

'Blind in one ear' Patrick MacNee - Another biography, took him quite a while to find fame, another good read.

Kent Steam (Scenes from the 50s and 60s) - Forgot I had this, mainly pictorial record with accompanying descriptions, great book, proper Charlton reading! 
  • Options
    I loved Excession, and Look to Windward. Ian Bainks was a tremendous writer, and sadly missed.
    I just finished the third part of Holary Msntells trilogy about Thomas Cromwell, the Mirror and the Light. The previous two were do good they drove me into reading up about the whole Tufor period, and this one is a very good read too. Recommendedm