Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This week I have been reading

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Yes Linc's, read most of them, I like Lucas and their straying over legal lines and that they are mates. Do you read Dave Robicheaux and Joe Pickett, Harry Bosch? (James Lee Burke and CJ Box, Michael Connelly)?
  • Options
    Yes Linc's, read most, I like Lucas and their straying over legal lines. Do you read Dave Robicheaux and Joe Pickett, Harry Bosch? (James Lee Burke and CJ Box, Michael Connelly)?
    read all the Bosch books and all of his stand alone ones, though he hasn't written one for ages .. J L Burke … great writer in his time, alas, his last few attempts, it seems to me that he has written the same book over and over, seems he's run out of new ideas. .. C J BOX ? .. new one to me, I'll check him/her ?.
     I can thoroughly recommend John Lescroart, another terrific US author. His town is San Francisco .. long series of legal/whodunnits

• Options
    I'll try Lescroat, his name seems familiar.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Solidgone said:
    @Algarveaddick how many books do you read in a week?
    i normally only read for 30-45 mins at night before drifting off
    I am mainly the same, occasionally I will read for a while when I find myself awake in the middle of the night too. I am a very fast reader - I had a reading age of 12 when I was about 7. The answer is a book about every two weeks I would think.   
  • Options
    Just read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and halfway through the second book of the trilogy. 
    Great set of books @LawrieAbrahams , I have also read the 4th one by David Lagercrantz, which is a good effort in keeping the style of the original three.

I have now finished the trilogy. Enjoyed it, Lisbeth Salander is a great character. Not sure about whether I want to read the ones written by this other bloke, apparently Stieg Larsen's wife said he was a terrible choice.

Just started Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem. The main character has Tourette's. Pretty good so far, he uses the Tourette's to create some great wordplay.
  • Options
    I’ve just finished “The Story of Edgar Sawtelle” by David Wroblewski”, a lengthy tome of over 550 pages.  Stephen King “flat-out loved it”.  I sort of did, very well written and the second half quite exciting.  It would especially appeal to readers with a love of dogs.
  • Options
    America’s Mistress-The Life and Times of Eartha Kitt. By John L. Williams.

I’ve always liked Eartha Kitt saw her perform live about 30 years ago, great performance. 
  • Options
    Just read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and halfway through the second book of the trilogy. 
    Great set of books @LawrieAbrahams , I have also read the 4th one by David Lagercrantz, which is a good effort in keeping the style of the original three.

I have now finished the trilogy. Enjoyed it, Lisbeth Salander is a great character. Not sure about whether I want to read the ones written by this other bloke, apparently Stieg Larsen's wife said he was a terrible choice.

Just started Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem. The main character has Tourette's. Pretty good so far, he uses the Tourette's to create some great wordplay.
    I have read the additional books written by David Lagercrantz continuing on from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and thought they were reasonably good.
  • Options
    Just finished Tracey Thorn’s Bedsit Disco Queen which was very good.

Now onto Dylan Jones’ David Bowie a life.
  • Options

I have read the additional books written by David Lagercrantz continuing on from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and thought they were reasonably good.
    Thanks. I probably will have a go at some time but not too soon because I OD'd on it, reading three in a row. Currently reading Love is Blind by William Boyd. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Algarveaddick

i see John Simm is going to play Roy Grace in an adaptation on screen. 

Sorry can’t remember if they said which book. 

Does he fit your minds image of Grace ? 
  • Options
    @MrOneLung Thanks for the heads up. Yes I would say he is a pretty good choice - though I had Grace as a bit more stout than John Simm, but other than that his physical appearance would be quite close to how I imagined. 

They are filming the first two books, Dead Simple and Not Dead Enough.     
  • Options
    Anyone here use Goodreads? I set myself a target on there to read 50 books this year and achieved it today. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    The First Casualty - Ben Elton
    I picked this book up from a book collection at Kilburn station and was a bit wary of a story around the FWW written as Ben Elton speaks (a bit like Gridlock). I was therefore surprised that I really enjoyed this book. 
  • Options
    The Spy and the Traitor by Ben Macintyre.  Was drawn to this book by the 88% 5/5 marking on Amazon. 

It is the true story of MI6's greatest ever asset Oleg Gordievsky a KGB agent working on the inside. This book sheds light on the man from his childhood onwards.  It is a compelling read, one described by John Le Carre as the best ever true life spy story he'd ever read.  If you are fascinated by what drives these people, intrigued by their world and excited by the risks taken, then this is the book for you. 

I thoroughly recommend.  

Historical biographical themes are what rock my boat and took up your recommendation, couldn't put it down, story of bravery beyond imagination.  
  • Options
    Gary Speed Unspoken The Family's Untold Story by John Richardson with Louise Speed.

This was a Christmas present and one of those books I didn't want to put down although I can't really say why. I think I just wanted to try and understand the tragedy of a young man, whom superficially had 'everything,'apparently  ending his life by his own hand.
  • Options
    The Spy and the Traitor by Ben Macintyre.  Was drawn to this book by the 88% 5/5 marking on Amazon. 

It is the true story of MI6's greatest ever asset Oleg Gordievsky a KGB agent working on the inside. This book sheds light on the man from his childhood onwards.  It is a compelling read, one described by John Le Carre as the best ever true life spy story he'd ever read.  If you are fascinated by what drives these people, intrigued by their world and excited by the risks taken, then this is the book for you. 

I thoroughly recommend.  

Historical biographical themes are what rock my boat and took up your recommendation, couldn't put it down, story of bravery beyond imagination.  
    In my opinion “A Spy among friends” is better. 
  • Options
    Read two books over Christmas. "Dead Right" by Peter Robinson, an Inspector Banks novel, and not one of his best. Centred around the murder of a member of a far right racist group, it is a bit disjointed and has a bit of an "and-then-we-all-went-home-for-tea ending. 

The other was a book left by a friend, who said that he doesn't really read books, but found this one fascinating.

Not my type of thing at all, but I decided to give it a go - I like to try a different kind of book occasionally. Its a book by a former British spy in the IRA. "Double Agent: My Secret Life Undercover in the IRA", by Kevin Fulton.

The subject matter is interesting, the writing style and the editing leaves a bit to be desired. I guess it is written for the type of person who likes this type of book? A few names are named, but on the whole there are too many "people who's names I cannot mention" to reveal much the average student of the troubles wouldn't already know. Depending on who you are I would imagine that you would read it as an arse covering exercise by a murderer, or a damning indictment of the UK security services by a man fed false promises, cast adrift when he was no longer useful. Or like me, somewhere inbetween.             
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Dark Pines, by Will Dean. A British author living in Sweden, writing Nordic Noir. It is a very good first novel. Based around a fairly remote, small town north west of Stockholm, dominated by the nearby forest. The hero(ine) is an ambitious young, deaf, reporter on the local paper - but she comes from Stockholm and has lived and worked in London, so she's fairly street wise. 

Reporting on the apparent re-appearance of a serial killer from 20 years before she involves herself in finding the muderer.

It's very atmospheric, some of the quotes from other authors about the book included in the blurb at the start, mention Twin Peaks, and I can see why.      
  • Options
    Dylan Jones’ David Bowie biography - mostly good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1001 Albums - You Must Hear Before You Die. 

Covers the period 1957 - 2017.

• Options
    Barra Brava- David Freeman. Heard good things about it , think a few on here have mentioned it 
  • Options
    Dark Pines, by Will Dean. A British writer living in Sweden, writing Nordic Noir. It is a very good first novel. Based around a fairly remote, small town north west of Stockholm, dominated by the nearby forest. The hero(ine) is an ambitious young, deaf, reporter on the local paper - but she comes from Stockholm and has lived and worked in London, so she's fairly street wise. 

Reporting on the apparent re-appearance of a serial killer from 20 years before she involves herself in finding the killer.

It's very atmospheric, some of the quotes from other authors about the book included in the blurb at the start, mention Twin Peaks, and I can see why.      
    Almost finished follow up Red Snow. Both very good.
  • Options
    "Erebus - The story of a ship" by Michael Palin. An account of HMS Erebus which undertook two naval exhibitions to the Antarctic and then the Canadian Arctic (where it vanished) in the 1840's. A really good read.
  • Options
    "Erebus - The story of a ship" by Michael Palin. An account of HMS Erebus which undertook two naval exhibitions to the Antarctic and then the Canadian Arctic (where it vanished) in the 1840's. A really good read.
    I recently read a fantastic (but very long) fictionalised version of the final voyage of Erebus and its companion ship - The Terror by Dan Simmons. 
  • Options
    Leviathan.  A compendium of stories from 2000AD about a giant liner, written very well and illustrated brilliantly by Ian Edgington and D'Israeli respectively.

Cards on the Table, a Poirot story by Agatha Christie.  OK story but remarkable levels of racism, although probably unremarkable for the time.

Half way through The Devil You Know by Mike Carey.  Interesting take on modern exorcism as sci-fi / fantasy.
  • Options
    I’ve just finished Elton John‘s book Me. 
    It’s a honest account of his life but became very samey as it went along with a few good titbits thrown in. He’s had an amazing life in regards to meeting everyone in the music business and being a total coke head to add challenge to devastation. But he has got through it all somehow. He’s a major influence within the music biz and offers great support to up and coming musician. A light read overall. 
  • Options
    Jints said:
    I recently read a fantastic (but very long) fictionalised version of the final voyage of Erebus and its companion ship - The Terror by Dan Simmons. 
    Thanks. I’ll take a look at that.
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Think there was a recent(ish) TV series on this, assuming it is the same book?

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jun/12/the-terror-review-amc-ships-souls-and-spirits-are-crushed-in-the-arctic
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Think there was a recent(ish) TV series on this, assuming it is the same book?

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jun/12/the-terror-review-amc-ships-souls-and-spirits-are-crushed-in-the-arctic
    It is indeed. Thanks for that, I had no idea they'd made a series on this. Will watch if its still available.