Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This week I have been reading

Comments

• Options
    Nadou said:

Just finished Little Dorritt. A big rambling story that holds the attention despite some typical sentimental tosh from Dickens - Little Dorritt herself is such a winsome goody-goody you want to kick her. But what is great is the savage social satire about wealth and class and, above all, the incompetence of government which, in this case, hides behind the Circumlocution Office whose role is to stop anything useful getting done. It's brilliant. Nothing has changed

I actually think she's worse than Little Nell. The circumlocution office is basically a Victorian version of Jim Hacker's Ministry for Administrative Affairs

• Options

Just read "The savage detectives" by roberto bolano and it's incredible. Definitely not for everyone but i'm a stickler for non linear, seemingly individual stories that eventually all piece together.

Need to read that. Nazi Literature In The Americas is hilarious

And speaking of hilarious, I just read The Restraint Of Beasts by Magnus Mills. He pretty much invents Ben Wheatley. It's so weird and funny. Such a shame the film had to be abandoned
  • Options
    Jints said:

Started 'Kafka on the Shore' by Haruki Murakami a few days ago and am completely engrossed in it. First book I've read of his but if this one is anything to go by I will probably become a big fan of his. Anyone else read much Murakami?

Almost all of them. Hard Boiled Wonderland, A Wild Sheep's Chase and The Wind Up Bird Chronicles are my favourites - Kafka is up there too though.

Once you've read a couple, try David Mitchell's homage to Murakami - No 9 Dream.

I love Murakami, read everything apart from the latest two.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Karen Rose ticks the thriller box nicely, so does Harlan Coben. Nothing too taxing about them either.
  • Options

Ian McEwan The Children Act
    Very good so far
  • Options
    I've just finished Farthing by Jo Walton. Set in 1949 after we made peace with Germany following Hess's arrival here. Recommended.
  • Options
    Really interesting replies guys, thank you. I'll expand my horizons. Pleased no one mentioned James Patterson. What a waste of time.
  • Options
    Just finished a Val McDermid - Beneath the Bleeding. Cracking read, one of the Tony "Wire in the Blood" Hills series.
  • Options
    RED PLATOON
    12 hours in hell. The true story of a heroic last stand.
    Clinton Romesha.

An American base overrun by the Taliban.

Very detailed, very well written, possibly one of the best war books I've ever read.
  • Options
    Spent most of this year in the company of Henry Green. His “Living” and “Loving” are probably his best known but his last two “Nothing” and “Doting “ absolutely superb. All of his books are subtly modernist, slightly experimental but nothing to frighten the horses.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Steven Brill - Tailspin: The People and Forces Behind America’s Fifty Year Fall - And Those Fighting To Reverse It.

This book provides more insight into what really is going on in America than anything you will watch on the mainstream media.

“Washington is not a swamp, it’s a giant moat.”
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch novel from last year - Two Kinds of Truth. Excellent as ever, two and a half stories running alongside each other. Definitely influenced by the format of the TV series.
  • Options
    I have just started Strangers and Brothers by CP Snow. If is an 11 novel sequence.
    In about 1983 Anthony Burgess published a book listing his 99 favourite novels since WW2 and this collection is included. I have almost completed the 99 although Finnegan's Wake is one of them and that is unreadable.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I Just finished the new Barbara Kingsolver novel 'Unsheltered' I really love her novels and this did not disappoint . Two America's are juxtaposed, one of a time when the christians were fighting against the evil of science and darwinism, following the ideal of Man at the top of the tree and everything and everyone else being subservant, the other of modern day America, the anti immigrant stance of the older population and the growing dark shadow of climate change. Kingsolver writes brilliantly about everyday life in American households and communities and the intricate link to these and the environment.
  • Options
    The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo

The third in the Harry Hole detective series. Set in Norway near the turn of the millennium, but with non-linear narrative sections from the Second World War, Harry embarks upon a complex investigation against a backcloth of neo-nazis and the illegal arms trade. Very good.

Reservoir 13 by Jon McGregor

A 13 year old girl disappears while on holiday in the Peak District and the novel explores how the lives of the locals are haunted by her family's loss. A very soulful and poetic novel, with a highly distinctive style. It has been widely acclaimed although I’m afraid that I couldn’t get on with this one.

The Gustav Sonata by Rose Tremain

Beginning in 1947, the five year old Gustav lives in a small Swiss town with his widowed and emotionally stilted mother. It is a lonely and, at times, tough existence for him until he befriends a young Jewish boy from a wealthy family, Anton. Thereafter, the novel traces their intense, lifelong friendship and gradually reveals the backstory of the other protagonists, including Gustav’s parents.

I found this a tender, insightful and beautifully written novel - highly recommended.
  • Options

IdleHans said:

Who is your #1 thriller writer (if you read thrillers). I'm reading another David Baldacci "Deliver Us From Evil". He never disappoints.

Really like RJ Ellory. Very well written and generally unpredictable stories
    Yes he's very good, I have read three of his and have "A Quiet Belief in Angels" lined up to read soon, also read Baldacci's "The Fix" and "Stone Cold". I enjoy Linwood Barclay's stuff. The Steig Larsson/David Lagercrantz Millenium Series are entertaining.

Michael Connelly, Ian Rankin, Val McDermid, Denise Mina, Jeffrey Deaver, Mo Hayder and Steve Berry are other favourites, among many others.
    I would add to that Karin Slaughter, Chris Carter, MJ Arlidge, JT Ellison, Chelsea Cain and Peter James
    Just finished Karin Slaughter's first novel - Blindsighted. Thanks for the recommendation BA. Great read, though a bit graphic with the murders at times.
  • Options
    Just finished 'Fatherland' by Robert Harris. Thought it was brilliant.

Have moved onto Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann.
  • Options

Lance Armstrong - Its not about the bike

halfway through and blown away with admiration

This didn't age well.
  • Options

Spent most of this year in the company of Henry Green. His “Living” and “Loving” are probably his best known but his last two “Nothing” and “Doting “ absolutely superb. All of his books are subtly modernist, slightly experimental but nothing to frighten the horses.

I've read Concluding, which is a dark, comic gem
  • Options
    I'm two thirds of the way through a book called 'in the shadow of the high king'

Its mental, a bit game of thronesey and long. Worth it though, some horrible characters which always make a book easier to read and I have no idea where the story is going. It's the first book in a series or proposed series
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shrew said:

I Just finished the new Barbara Kingsolver novel 'Unsheltered' I really love her novels and this did not disappoint . Two America's are juxtaposed, one of a time when the christians were fighting against the evil of science and darwinism, following the ideal of Man at the top of the tree and everything and everyone else being subservant, the other of modern day America, the anti immigrant stance of the older population and the growing dark shadow of climate change. Kingsolver writes brilliantly about everyday life in American households and communities and the intricate link to these and the environment.

I'll keep an eye out for this. I loved poisonwood Bible, and I've got flight behaviour on my groaning pile of books to read
  • Options

I have just started Strangers and Brothers by CP Snow. If is an 11 novel sequence.
    In about 1983 Anthony Burgess published a book listing his 99 favourite novels since WW2 and this collection is included. I have almost completed the 99 although Finnegan's Wake is one of them and that is unreadable.

Interesting . I remember the Burgess book and nice to see Henry Green’s “Party Going “ made the 99.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I've read Concluding, which is a dark, comic gem

I’d heartily recommend all of them.
  • Options

Interesting . I remember the Burgess book and nice to see Henry Green’s “Party Going “ made the 99.
    Just finished The Anti-death League by Kingsley Amis which is one of the 99. It's not one of his best known novels and I read a lot of his stuff many years ago.
  • Options
    Second Life by S.J. Watson. The follow up to the very successful "Before I go to Sleep" (which I haven't read). A psychological thriller, bit steamy at times, with a murder mystery thrown in. I thought it was written by a woman as the author seems to get under the skin of the female character at the centre of the story really well. Had I known more about it before I read it, it probably would not have appealed. But I would have been wrong. A worthwhile read.
  • Options

Second Life by S.J. Watson. The follow up to the very successful "Before I go to Sleep" (which I haven't read). A psychological thriller, bit steamy at times, with a murder mystery thrown in. I thought it was written by a woman as the author seems to get under the skin of the female character at the centre of the story really well. Had I known more about it before I read it, it probably would not have appealed. But I would have been wrong. A worthwhile read.

Thanks for the heads up, P.

Will look out for this one.
  • Options

IdleHans said:

Who is your #1 thriller writer (if you read thrillers). I'm reading another David Baldacci "Deliver Us From Evil". He never disappoints.

Yes he's very good, I have read three of his and have "A Quiet Belief in Angels" lined up to read soon, also read Baldacci's "The Fix" and "Stone Cold". I enjoy Linwood Barclay's stuff. The Steig Larsson/David Lagercrantz Millenium Series are entertaining.

Michael Connelly, Ian Rankin, Val McDermid, Denise Mina, Jeffrey Deaver, Mo Hayder and Steve Berry are other favourites, among many others.
    I would add to that Karin Slaughter, Chris Carter, MJ Arlidge, JT Ellison, Chelsea Cain and Peter James
    Just finished Karin Slaughter's first novel - Blindsighted. Thanks for the recommendation BA. Great read, though a bit graphic with the murders at times.
    If that was graphic for you, Chris Carter is in a different league
  • Options

Just finished a Val McDermid - Beneath the Bleeding. Cracking read, one of the Tony "Wire in the Blood" Hills series.

I've never read his stuff but he and I have the same love for T.S. Eliot. I have the lines "The Trilling wire in the blood/Sings below inveterate scars/appeasing long forgotten wars" tattooed on my arm.

Also, been reading a script of a comic series a friend is working on, but about to start finally reading Mark Danielewski’s novelette "The 50 Year Sword)
  • Options

IdleHans said:

If that was graphic for you, Chris Carter is in a different league
    Yes - his are pretty gruesome, but for some reason I found Karin Slaughter's worse. Probably the sexual assault on the knife wound... :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Black Cat Bone - John Burnside