Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This week I have been reading

Comments

• Options
    IdleHans said:

Reservoir 13 by Jon McGregor, one of my favourite writers. Halfway through, completely absorbing.

Only one I've read by him. Thought it was great, really lyrical and original. What else would you recommend?
  • Options
    Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps That Tell You All You Need to Know About Global Politics by Tim Marshall. Really enjoyed this and my interest in global politics has been tweaked. Needed something to get me away from an unhealthy addiction to US politics!
  • Options
    Jints said:

IdleHans said:

Reservoir 13 by Jon McGregor, one of my favourite writers. Halfway through, completely absorbing.

Only one I've read by him. Thought it was great, really lyrical and original. What else would you recommend?
    His first, 'If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things' I thought was lovely.
    The preface alone is a beautifully descriptive piece that could stand alone as a prose poem. Utterly gorgeous.
  • Options
    This week, Roland has been re-reading:
  • Options
    Just started A Column of Fire by Ken Follett. Read the other 2 in the Kingsbridge series. I like historical fixture so let's see how this one goes.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps That Tell You All You Need to Know About Global Politics by Tim Marshall. Really enjoyed this and my interest in global politics has been tweaked. Needed something to get me away from an unhealthy addiction to US politics!

good choice .. very good, informative read
  • Options
    won't be starting this just yet as I have a couple of modern history tomes I have promised myself to start.

Published today and dropped off by Amazon, the latest Robert Galbraith/J K Rowling, 'Cormoran Strike' adventure, 'Lethal White' .. a massive 600+ pages .. I opened the book at a random page and Deptford was mentioned .. we're in Millwall land here, I'm intrigued

(2nd thoughts I might leave the history for another day and start this a s a p .. the Strike series is seriously well written and superbly plotted)

• Options
    Pretend You’re in a War by Mark Blake. The story of The Who in the 60’s. Only started it yesterday but it’s a fascinating read.

Looking forward the the launch event of Roger Daltrey’s autobiography at the RFH next week.

A bit of a cock up with he dates though. Made a late booking for the family at Butlins in Bognor Mon-Fri before I realised I’m at the event on Thursday. Have managed to get away with coming home a day early and my wife’s driving back with my daughter the day after.
  • Options
    Just read "The savage detectives" by roberto bolano and it's incredible. Definitely not for everyone but i'm a stickler for non linear, seemingly individual stories that eventually all piece together.
  • Options

This week, Roland has been re-reading:

Didn't know Roland refers to Katrien as Milk Jugs ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reading a bit of Alexander McCall Smith for the first time recently. Number One Ladies Detective Agency, The Sunday Philosophy Club and now Friends, Lovers, Chocolate. Quite enjoyable, but hard to pin down how to describe them. Well written mysteries, but the story of the characters is more prominent than the mystery itself.
  • Options

Reading a bit of Alexander McCall Smith for the first time recently. Number One Ladies Detective Agency, The Sunday Philosophy Club and now Friends, Lovers, Chocolate. Quite enjoyable, but hard to pin down how to describe them. Well written mysteries, but the story of the characters is more prominent than the mystery itself.

I agree. I read all the ‘Number One Ladies Detective Agency’ a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the books - entertaining and gently humorous. I read a couple of McCall’s subsequent books but can’t remember too much about them, which rather reinforces your point.
  • Options

Pretend You’re in a War by Mark Blake. The story of The Who in the 60’s. Only started it yesterday but it’s a fascinating read.

Looking forward the the launch event of Roger Daltrey’s autobiography at the RFH next week.

A bit of a cock up with he dates though. Made a late booking for the family at Butlins in Bognor Mon-Fri before I realised I’m at the event on Thursday. Have managed to get away with coming home a day early and my wife’s driving back with my daughter the day after.

interview with Daltrey on the BBC .. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06p2d90
  • Options
    I'm currently reading a book that bear recommended to me on the kindle app called the Grey Bastards. It's not my usual fare, the story is set in a fantasy, mythical land inhabited by a kind of biker 1% gang of half human half orc riders, instead of choppers they ride big hogs with tusks, or swine yankers.

It's mental but weirdly engaging and has hooked me in. I'm about 2 thirds through it and is a big change from the books I had been reading
  • Options
    The Jewel in the Crown
  • Options
    Trying to get through some books that have been sat on my Kindle for a while...!

Just finished The Old Man and The Sea (Earnest Hemmingway), loved it. And about to start Lonesome Dove (Larry McMurtry).
  • Options
    Who is your #1 thriller writer (if you read thrillers). I'm reading another David Baldacci "Deliver Us From Evil". He never disappoints.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Who is your #1 thriller writer (if you read thrillers). I'm reading another David Baldacci "Deliver Us From Evil". He never disappoints.

Jean Christophe Grangé but hard to get hold of English versions. Michael Connelly and CJ Box good. Michael Dibdin, Arturo Reverte Perez and Michael Robotham excellent. Grisham and Thurow for courtroom stuff. David Mark NI cop and Mick Heron spy stuff.
  • Options

Really like RJ Ellory. Very well written and generally unpredictable stories
  • Options
    21 Lessons for the 21st Century. Yuval Noah Harari. Seriously inciteful and informative. Definitely worth a reread.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Trying to get through some books that have been sat on my Kindle for a while...!

Just finished The Old Man and The Sea (Earnest Hemmingway), loved it. And about to start Lonesome Dove (Larry McMurtry).

Lonesome Dove is superb, tempted to reread it

• Options
    Maajid Nawaz autobiography Radical. Fascinating insight into the World of Islam and extremism. Almost a thriller, would make a great film.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Yes he's very good, I have read three of his and have "A Quiet Belief in Angels" lined up to read soon, also read Baldacci's "The Fix" and "Stone Cold". I enjoy Linwood Barclay's stuff. The Steig Larsson/David Lagercrantz Millenium Series are entertaining.

Michael Connelly, Ian Rankin, Val McDermid, Denise Mina, Jeffrey Deaver, Mo Hayder and Steve Berry are other favourites, among many others.
  • Options

IdleHans said:

Yes he's very good, I have read three of his and have "A Quiet Belief in Angels" lined up to read soon, also read Baldacci's "The Fix" and "Stone Cold". I enjoy Linwood Barclay's stuff. The Steig Larsson/David Lagercrantz Millenium Series are entertaining.

Michael Connelly, Ian Rankin, Val McDermid, Denise Mina, Jeffrey Deaver, Mo Hayder and Steve Berry are other favourites, among many others.
    I would add to that Karin Slaughter, Chris Carter, MJ Arlidge, JT Ellison, Chelsea Cain and Peter James
  • Options
    Just finished Little Dorritt. A big rambling story that holds the attention despite some typical sentimental tosh from Dickens - Little Dorritt herself is such a winsome goody-goody you want to kick her. But what is great is the savage social satire about wealth and class and, above all, the incompetence of government which, in this case, hides behind the Circumlocution Office whose role is to stop anything useful getting done. It's brilliant. Nothing has changed
  • Options

IdleHans said:

I would add to that Karin Slaughter, Chris Carter, MJ Arlidge, JT Ellison, Chelsea Cain and Peter James
    I have read three of Chris Carters and a lot of Peter James, good stuff all. JT Ellison and Karin Slaughter are both authors that I will be reading in the future. I forgot Mark Billingham in my list.
  • Options

IdleHans said:

I have read three of Chris Carters and a lot of Peter James, good stuff all. JT Ellison and Karin Slaughter are both authors that I will be reading in the future. I forgot Mark Billingham in my list.
    really like his stuff
  • Options
    Started 'Kafka on the Shore' by Haruki Murakami a few days ago and am completely engrossed in it. First book I've read of his but if this one is anything to go by I will probably become a big fan of his. Anyone else read much Murakami?
  • Options
    addick05 said:

'The Journeys End Battalion - The 9th East Surrey in the Great War' by Michael Lucas. This is the battalion in which R. C. Sherriff served - and his famous novel 'Journey's End' was based on his experiences with the battalion on the Western Front.

I finished that a couple of week's ago. Very good.
  • Options

Started 'Kafka on the Shore' by Haruki Murakami a few days ago and am completely engrossed in it. First book I've read of his but if this one is anything to go by I will probably become a big fan of his. Anyone else read much Murakami?

Almost all of them. Hard Boiled Wonderland, A Wild Sheep's Chase and The Wind Up Bird Chronicles are my favourites - Kafka is up there too though.

Once you've read a couple, try David Mitchell's homage to Murakami - No 9 Dream.