Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This week I have been reading

Comments

• Options
    Confessions of a Philosopher - Bryan Magee

Some very interesting observations.
  • Options
    All about Joey Barton on Charlton Life.
  • Options
    Just got round to reading Nowhere Men. Great football book, and loads of Charlton references.
  • Options
    Have just finished reading SAM BARTRAM - The Story of a Goalkeeping Legend by Mike Blake.

Magnificent action pictures from the good old days and a fascinating look at the life of Sam and beyond.

Thoroughly recommended to anyone who wants a nostalgic look back to the 40s and 50s
  • Options
    Autobiographical book of poems, The Crumb Road - Maitreybandhu (Triratna Buddhist).

Can’t say I know a lot about poetry but did enjoy the book, partly, probably because I know him and a little of his life which of course gave it more meaning and depth.

Of the poetry I’ve read I’ve often found it melancholic, maybe that’s the point, but that’s ok, because I guess all any good writer can do is hope to connect with their readers and in this book Maitreybandhu does.
  • Options
    HHhH by Laurent Binet, about the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich.

So far, very good.
  • Options
    How to Stop Time by Matt Haig.

Very good premise, sadly it doesn't live up to it for me. Being made into a film though which could be interesting with a ruthless adaptation.
  • Options
    Ian Dury, The Definitive Biography, by Will Birch. A candid tale of the life-story of the singer and artist. He was a bit of a cu*t a lot of the time, but people mostly put up with him. Lots of detail from those closest to him, although the stories of falling outs do get a bit tedious sometimes, it's a must read if you are a fan of ID or even the music of that era.
  • Options

Ian Dury, The Definitive Biography, by Will Birch. A candid tale of the life-story of the singer and artist. He was a bit of a cu*t a lot of the time, but people mostly put up with him. Lots of detail from those closest to him, although the stories of falling outs do get a bit tedious sometimes, it's a must read if you are a fan of ID or even the music of that era.

That's put me off reading it!
  • Options
    edited May 2018

That's put me off reading it!
    Well the thread has to have the rough with the smooth I guess LA. If you are a huge fan and don't want your illusions shattered, then maybe not a must read... :neutral:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, that was what I meant. I didn't know that about him.
  • Options

If you watch Andy Serkis playing Dury on screen in Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll, you will see how obnoxious Dury could be.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

If you watch Andy Serkis playing Dury on screen in Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll, you will see how obnoxious Dury could be.
    That was a decent film, but a tough watch for that reason!
  • Options
    The Outsider - Stephen King

@Lincsaddick @Fanny Fanackapan you’ll like this one
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

lol .. bought it .. it's on the shelf waiting ((:>)
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

OOh, thanks for the heads up.

Have just finished " End of Watch".
  • Options
    Temeraire (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Majesty's_Dragon) and the next three in the series by Naomi Novik. Set during the Napoleonic war but with there be dragons. Very well written, evokes the era perfectly.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

and just remembered .. I have another SKing on the shelf I've yet to read.. 'Sleeping Beauties' .. Ol Steve is certainly prolific when it comes to literary output ((:>)
  • Options

Temeraire (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Majesty's_Dragon) and the next three in the series by Naomi Novik. Set during the Napoleonic war but with there be dragons. Very well written, evokes the era perfectly.

Apart from the dragons...
  • Options
    Very well written book on a sensitive subject
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2018
    The Wolf - Alex Grecian. Bear could be scarier than Jack Reacher.
  • Options
    The Reader on the 6.27, by Jean-Paul Didierlaurent.

Little book about little lives.
    Ended with tears for me.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Brooklyn Follies by Paul Auster, one of my favourite writers, he finds a lot of heart and tenderness in some very messed up characters and gives a strong portrayal of a human but screwed up America.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I had never read the Philip Kerr, Bernie Gunther series of books, until recommended here ages ago! Now, having read and thoroughly enjoyed all of the series, and after the unfortunate passing of Kerr earlier this year, there will be no new ones! I wondered if anyone can recommend similar type authors that they have enjoyed. Kerr managed so well to weave the crimes that Bernie had to solve with the true events and history of Nazi Germany.
    Any recommendations be appreciated.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

I had never read the Philip Kerr, Bernie Gunther series of books, until recommended here ages ago! Now, having read and thoroughly enjoyed all of the series, and after the unfortunate passing of Kerr earlier this year, there will be no new ones! I wondered if anyone can recommend similar type authors that they have enjoyed. Kerr managed so well to weave the crimes that Bernie had to solve with the true events and history of Nazi Germany.

I was also so sad to hear of Kerr's death from cancer. He was one of our very very best authors and he should not just be pigeonholed as a 'crime and thriller writer' .. have you tried his many stand alone books, e.g. 'Prayer' there are a few as well as the 'football thrillers' like 'January Window' ..
    you get the impression that Kerr could turn out a clever, laugh a minute 'thriller' in his lunch break .. He was a brilliant and versatile as well as underrated genius of a writer

as for Nazi Germany/Europe historical novels .. Alan Furst is superb, a couple of his were combined and made into a TV mini series a couple of years back .. David Downing has written very similar books to the 'Gunther' series .. they are just not as good but worth a look .. Another brilliant brit, William Boyd has written some good wartime books. e.g. 'Restless' .. I'd go on Amazon and check out a few authors back catalogues .. no obligation to buy of course .. enjoy

RIP Philip Kerr .. made Lee Child look like an amateur
  • Options

I was also so sad to hear of Kerr's death from cancer. He was one of our very very best authors and he should not just be pigeonholed as a 'crime and thriller writer' .. have you tried his many stand alone books, e.g. 'Prayer' there are a few as well as the 'football thrillers' like 'January Window' ..
    you get the impression that Kerr could turn out a clever, laugh a minute 'thriller' in his lunch break .. He was a brilliant and versatile as well as underrated genius of a writer

as for Nazi Germany/Europe historical novels .. Alan Furst is superb, a couple of his were combined and made into a TV mini series a couple of years back .. David Downing has written very similar books to the 'Gunther' series .. they are just not as good but worth a look .. Another brilliant brit, William Boyd has written some good wartime books. e.g. 'Restless' .. I'd go on Amazon and check out a few authors back catalogues .. no obligation to buy of course .. enjoy

RIP Philip Kerr .. made Lee Child look like an amateur
    Thank you, for the suggestions, Lincsaddick. I was truly saddened by his death as he was a superb writer. I enjoyed reading his notes at the back as much as the novels because of his research and breadth of knowledge.
    I will dip into some of his other books and your suggested authors. Many thanks for responding.
  • Options
    I really liked Gridiron by Philip Kerr in his stand alone books, I agree the Bernie Gunter series brilliant, was not so keen on the football thrillers
  • Options

I'm now one the last one of the eight written so far and they've all been very good.
  • Options

I'm now one the last one of the eight written so far and they've all been very good.
    10th July release for her latest Novel - Spinning Silver, I'm looking forward to it.
  • Options

Sam Eastland 'Pekkala' books recommended. Also Hans Helmut Kirsch, and the also sadly deceased Micharl Dibdin's Aerilio Zen and Michael Connelley's Harry Bosch.