Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This week I have been reading

Comments

• Options
    pettgra said:

Bruce Springsteen's autobiography. I would never have purchased this; however, my wife bought it for me and I am glad she did.An intelligent, thought provoking and humorous book.
    His take on what was served up as entertainment in the late fifties/early sisties is spot on. Superb.

enjoying this too .. I read it in bits and pieces/as & when .. it's that kinda book
  • Options
    Sean Kean - The Disappearing Spoon. If anyone is into popular science, this is a cracking social history of chemistry. Loads of great, true, stories with something for every element on the periodic table. Some wonderful stuff about the nature of the elements, the nature of the often eccentric people who discovered them and the people who used them:

- Graham Young who poisoned several family members including his stepmother whom he killed. He spent nine years in Parkhurst but on his release went straight back to his old tricks poisoning seventy more and causing two further deaths.

- David Hahn a school kid who wrote to US energy officials posing as a university professor and managed to scrounge the necessary radioactive elements to start building a nuclear reactor in his mum's back yard.

- How Aluminium was once the world's most expensive metal and was used to cap the Washington Monument.

- The title story is pretty neat too, but I won't spoil it.
  • Options
    I find i don't get time for reading and end up with huge library fines, but download an audio book every month to listen in the car given the hours I spend driving.

Mainly non-fiction thrillers, last one was The Story of Human Language. Did you know that "silly" originally meant "blessed" (as in the silly virgin Mary) and there's a perfectly logical path explaining the change, and loads of other examples.
  • Options
    Leading by Alex Ferguson
  • Options
    David Mitchell's "Thinking about it only makes it worse" , a collection of his newspaper columns over the past six years. Funny and accurate (unless you are a right winger, then it'll get you all frothed up...).
  • Options

Past Caring by Robert Goddard.

Honourable, Edwardian cabinet minister has the world at his feet. Suddenly, mysteriously, all is lost - including his career and the great love of his life. 67 years later the truth begins to emerge - but at a huge cost.

An absolutely intriguing story. A cracking read (imo).

Totally agree, he's a great writer. I think he lived in Greenwich for a while. Have read them all. Surprised 'Past Caring' and 'In Pale Battalions' haven't been (I don't think) adapted for television. The only one I have not been too keen on is the last part of the trilogy, 'The Ways of the World' Probably just me though.
  • Options

I find i don't get time for reading and end up with huge library fines, but download an audio book every month to listen in the car given the hours I spend driving.

Mainly non-fiction thrillers, last one was The Story of Human Language. Did you know that "silly" originally meant "blessed" (as in the silly virgin Mary) and there's a perfectly logical path explaining the change, and loads of other examples.

Nice one Dippenhall. I love these etymological stories. Did you know that 'soon' used to mean now? People got increasingly lax about just how soon is now and the meaning gradually changed.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Nice one Dippenhall. I love these etymological stories. Did you know that 'soon' used to mean now? People got increasingly lax about just how soon is now and the meaning gradually changed.
    Most lovers of Shakespeare pretend they get it, half of it makes no sense unless you know the meaning of a word 400 years ago. "Wherefore" in the balcony scene is "why" are you Romeo? - not "where the fu*k are you hiding, I need a good seeing to".
  • Options

Stig said:

Most lovers of Shakespeare pretend they get it, half of it makes no sense unless you know the meaning of a word 400 years ago. "Wherefore" in the balcony scene is "why" are you Romeo? - not "where the fu*k are you hiding, I need a good seeing to".
    That actually makes less sense now... "I'm Romeo 'cos that's what me Mum called me". :wink:
  • Options
    The Vinyl Detective - Andrew Cartmel. A light and funny detective book, especially for those who like me spend far too much time in charity shops looking for some good vinyl. If you enjoyed Rivers of London you will probably enjoy this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I always enjoy the the section of ISIHAC that refers alternative meanings for words to the Uxbridge English Dictionary.

http://www.alspcs.com/main.html
  • Options

Stig said:

That actually makes less sense now... "I'm Romeo 'cos that's what me Mum called me". :wink:
    Why are you not someone who is not a Montague, or words to that effect..
  • Options

Stig said:

Len Goodman was on Desert Island Discs a while ago .. the programme specifies that one takes a selection of music, the Bible, Shakespeare's Complete works, plus a 'luxury' item .. Goodman asked for a box of matches as a luxury .. 'then I can use the Shakespeare and Bible to light nice fires and do my cooking' ... hahahahahha .. not a bad judge .. or rather a good, now retired judge
  • Options

Reading Joey Barton's autobiography.

Well ( ghost ) written and definitely not dull !

just started working through this .. anyone who names his son Cassius can't be all bad ((:>) ..
    he comes across as a pretentious wannabe, perhaps understandable given his upbringing .. QUOTE .. 'my energy is compatible with the challenge because biologically I am a lot younger than my 34 years. I am stronger mentally than anyone around with the possible exception of Christiano Ronaldo, whose ability to meet expectations at the highest level is astounding. I can deal pretty much with anything that is thrown at me .. UNQUOTE .. righto Joe .. his quotes/opinions on his 'Question Time' appearance are beyond parody ..

he does not cover the exit from Glasgow Rangers where his ultra tough guy image took a bit of a bashing .. the book seems to have been published just as he joined the Gers, where he was gonna show them scots a thing or two

he comes from a what could be described (by me, not him) as a semi criminal, football mad family/environment .. but I reckon several of his 'puddings' are well overegged .. enjoyable read though
  • Options
    Rachel Rising, a comic / graphic novel about the first creations of God now in the modern world with a pending apocalypse. The same guy did Strangers in Paradise which was an epic and rather wonderful. If you think comics are all about X-Men, Superman, etc., this is the kind of stuff to disabuse you of that notion.
  • Options

Currently obsessed by Jack Reacher series. Very formulaematic and bits are samey but somehow good cos you know what's coming. Very addictive. Polish them off in a day, but currently trawling local libraries to find ones not read.

That's summed up my thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    House On Fire: The Rise and Fall of Philadelphia Soul.

Gamble & Huff, Thom Bell, The Delfonics, The Stylistics, The O'Jays, that sort of thing.
  • Options
    Best Seat in The House - Jerry Shirley.

The story of Humble Pie, as told by their drummer. Fantastic read, written in quite a down to earth way.
  • Options
    Just read Stormbird and Trinity by Conn Iggulden. Just about to start Bloodline, no 3 in the series. I'm a bit of a Historical Fiction junkie and this is about the Wars of the Roses. Enjoying it.
  • Options
    Hillsborough the truth - Phil Scraton. Well written, but making me angry
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    hawksmoor said:

Gamble & Huff, Thom Bell, The Delfonics, The Stylistics, The O'Jays, that sort of thing.

Got this a year or two ago. Going to read it again soon. Great book and loved the insights into production methods etc.

• Options

hawksmoor said:

Got this a year or two ago. Going to read it again soon. Great book and loved the insights into production methods etc.

Absolutely. I loved hearing about the house band, these grizzled session musicians who became the go-to people for that sweet soul Philadelphia sound.

• Options

All the light we cannot see...wonderful book!

Found this a thought provoking read, regarding the pathways taken by two lives and for them to eventually cross.

Enjoyed reading the book, purchased on your recommendation - thanks.

• Options
    Chris Ryan- Deathlist
  • Options
    This week I have been Reading.
    Next week I will be Swindon
    And the week after I will be Bristol
    As I progress down the M4
  • Options

This week I have been Reading.
    Next week I will be Swindon
    And the week after I will be Bristol
    As I progress down the M4

Not heard that one before ..
  • Options
    Just finished the first two Hitchikers guide books.

Hating myself for not reading them sooner, they are aboslutely superb.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Children of time very weird book abour spiders over many geneations gainign human intelligence on anothee planet. I love a sci fi me
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

Chris Ryan- Deathlist

Just finished this. Highly Recommend. Next up is Andres Iniesta Autobiography- The Artist
  • Options
    The Road to Little Dribbling. A good read, as ever. Probably not one of Bryson's best, but it still gave me plenty of laughs.