Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This week I have been reading

Comments

• Options
    'A Visit From the Goon Squad' .. Jennifer Egan .. fictional family/friends US punk saga .. from California to Noo Yoik .....

perceptive, humane and clever

• Options
    stonemuse said:

The Mermaids Singing / The Wire in the Blood - Val McDermid

Taken a long time to get round to reading a couple of her books but well worth the wait.

Found all the 'Tony Hill' novels rivetting.
    Also really enjoyed the 'Karen Pirie' stories, starting with The Distant Echo.
    A couple of her standalone novels were really good too, but I have forgotten the titles!
    Avoid 'Kate Brannigan' and 'Lindsay Gordon' like the plague (IMO)

• Options
    Re Denzil Meyrick, I have only read the first one -Whisky in small glasses. His books are set around Campbeltown and the Mull of Kintyre, a peaceful and remote area where I spend a lot of time. Found it a bit difficult to cope with descriptions of machine gun shootouts by the harbour front! Though it was good fun working out which real local people he'd based various characters on....
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Taken a long time to get round to reading a couple of her books but well worth the wait.

A couple of her standalone novels were really good too, but I have forgotten the titles!

Skeleton Road one of the Val McDermid ones by any chance?
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Skeleton Road one of the Val McDermid ones by any chance?
    Yes, it's one of the novels that features the character Karen Pirie
  • Options
    Just started The Fifty Year Sword by Mark Z. Danielewski
  • Options
    Past Caring by Robert Goddard.

Honourable, Edwardian cabinet minister has the world at his feet. Suddenly, mysteriously, all is lost - including his career and the great love of his life. 67 years later the truth begins to emerge - but at a huge cost.

An absolutely intriguing story. A cracking read (imo).
  • Options

Honourable, Edwardian cabinet minister has the world at his feet. Suddenly, mysteriously, all is lost - including his career and the great love of his life. 67 years later the truth begins to emerge - but at a huge cost.

Goddard deserves more attention .. he's been writing great mystery stories for years
  • Options

Sounds great, just ordered it
  • Options

'A Visit From the Goon Squad' .. Jennifer Egan .. fictional family/friends US punk saga .. from California to Noo Yoik .....

perceptive, humane and clever

Great book.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As someone employed previously in the book trade, please avoid downloads
    and buy a book.

Unbroken-Laura Hillenbrand , excellent true story of 2nd ww vet
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

Reading a book about the making of Aretha Franklin's first Atlantic Album, I Never Loved A Man They Way I Love You. The title track was cut in Muscle Shoals at Rick Hall's FAME studio with his all-white house band, featuring the likes of the great Roger Hawkins on drums and Spooner Oldham, and with Jerry Wexler co-producing with Hall.

But then came 'The Incident', over which people are deliberately sketchy. What we do know is that a trumpeter (let's call him, oh, I don't know, Ken Laxton) made a drunken pass at Aretha (some say, he grabbed her arse), to which her husband, Ted White, took great exception and, after an altercation where he demands that Laxton is sacked, storms off back to his hotel followed, eventually, by Aretha after she started work on Dan Penn's Do Right Woman. Anyway, cut to later, Rick Hall's started on the vodka and contrary to Jerry Wexler's instructions goes to the the hotel to smooth things over. Before you know it, Hall and Ted White are trying to wrestle each other off the balcony. And the session's blown. White and Aretha fly home separately, Wexler tells Hall he's finished, Aretha goes missing for two weeks, then Wexler has to come up with a ruse to get the Muscle Shoals musicians to the Atlantic studios in New York, but without Rick Hall. The ruse is they're working on a King Curtis album, 'but while you're here guys, let's finish the Aretha album.'

There you go, I've read it so you don't have to.

I think it's worth mentioning that if you don't own that album, you don't qualify as human
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Sounds great, just ordered it
    Hope you like it stonemuse.
  • Options
    The 'Barracking' thread
  • Options
    'England and Other Stories' by Graham Swift

'Last Orders' is one of my favourite novels and, having really enjoyed Graham Swift's recent novella, 'Mothering Sunday', I thought I'd have a read of his short stories. I was not disappointed and found this be be an extremely enjoyable and engaging collection. There are about 25 stories, all about 8-10 pages long, and most of them have a contemporary setting. They are mostly snapshots of people's lives, often with a twist in the storyline. Graham Swift has an economical and restrained style, which I think makes his writing more powerful.

'The Good Soldier' by Ford Madox Ford (1915)

Two couples meet and form a friendship at a German spa town in 1913 but the apparent perfection of these two marriages rapidly disintegrates. A story of betrayal, infidelity and extreme naivety is told in a non-linear and very random way by the rather dim, cuckolded husband. Nothing is quite what it seems.

An interesting read and the novel is widely regarded as a modernist masterpiece. However, I can't say that I particularly enjoyed reading it.
  • Options
    Flashman and the Great Game. Not the best of the series, but getting interesting
  • Options
    Two Brothers by Ben Elton.

Born in Berlin in 1920, two boys brought together at birth due to the most extenuating circumstances and raised in a Jewish family. The story follows the family as German society gradually changes under Hitler’s dark shadow and graphically describes the plight of the family - with the added complication - that the adopted boy proves to be an Aryan.

I read this following Brexit and the US elections. It served to remind me of the dangers about arguments based on race and how quickly the tide can turn once momentum is gathered.

• Options
    Reading an oral biography of Sly & the Family Stone. Tons and tons of drugs and Sly not bothering to turn up to gigs. That's about the gist of it.
  • Options
    Reasons to Stay Alive - Matt Haig.

for all those who suffer with a mental health illness, as I do.

can't exactly vouch for it, as I'm not half way through yet.

too depressed<(;-)>
  • Options

Shake Off - Mischa Hiller
    Palestinian spy thriller

The Loney - A M Hurley
    Adult recounts childhood trip from London to remote Lancashire. The author gradually builds up the tension making the reader imagine an increasingly dark end.

The Glorious Heresies - Lisa McInerney
    Life on the edge of Irish society. Will appeal perhaps to fans of John Niven (got a feeling @stonemuse or @Carter recommended Niven, so returning the favour).

All that man is - David Szalay
    Nine men at different stages of life.

Would recommend all the above.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Norwegian by Night by Derek B. Miller

Not your conventional thriller, full of commentary on life but a slightly unsatisfactory ending.
  • Options

Palestinian spy thriller

The Loney - A M Hurley
    Adult recounts childhood trip from London to remote Lancashire. The author gradually builds up the tension making the reader imagine an increasingly dark end.

Life on the edge of Irish society. Will appeal perhaps to fans of John Niven (got a feeling @stonemuse or @Carter recommended Niven, so returning the favour).

Cheers for recommendation @SheffieldRed I think it was @Carter that first mentioned him but I do agree.

Also agree that The Loney is a good book.
  • Options
    Conclave .. by Robert Harris .. in the very near future, the politics and machinations in electing a new Pope .. sounds dull but is a very good, intelligent and informative read

One poignant point .. a small(ish) part of the plot involves Islamic attacks on Roman Catholic congregations .. I read this part in bed last night ..
    I stopped for a break driving home on the M62 this morning, bought the 'Times' .. front page news was of an Islamic attack on the cathedral congregation of one of the World's oldest Christian sects, the Egyptian Coptics .. I emphasis however that the book is NOT anti muslim ...
  • Options

Conclave .. by Robert Harris .. in the very near future, the politics and machinations in electing a new Pope .. sounds dull but is a very good, intelligent and informative read

One poignant point .. a small(ish) part of the plot involves Islamic attacks on Roman Catholic congregations .. I read this part in bed last night ..
    I stopped for a break driving home on the M62 this morning, bought the 'Times' .. front page news was of an Islamic attack on the cathedral congregation of one of the World's oldest Christian sects, the Egyptian Coptics .. I emphasis however that the book is NOT anti muslim ...

Have this on my xmas list.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Have this on my xmas list.
    you will thoroughly enjoy it .. Harris is a VERY good author
  • Options
    All the light we cannot see...wonderful book!
  • Options

All the light we cannot see...wonderful book!

That looks very intriguing ...cheers
  • Options
    Read all the Jack Reacher books in a month. Loved them. A bit formulamatic but good in that you know what he is going to do before he does it.
  • Options

Palestinian spy thriller

The Loney - A M Hurley

Cheers for the recommendation I've downloaded it and will report back
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Bruce Springsteen's autobiography. I would never have purchased this; however, my wife bought it for me and I am glad she did.An intelligent, thought provoking and humorous book.
    His take on what was served up as entertainment in the late fifties/early sixties is spot on. Superb.