Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just Got Back from the Hawthorns

Have to say Holland and ZZ (surprised he could even make the penalty shoot out) once again ran their socks off, Youga was composed, Bougherra for me stood out as assured but my man of the moment is definitely Chris Dickson - he came on and MADE things happen, he was pacey, a real spark, nice poacher's finish, a cool as you like penalty and hit the post after bursting through direct on goal (not in a huge nervous loop, Izale).

It's a shame really, if we had a Kevin Phillips type player that could finish the positions we get ourselves into we'd have had 4 again tonight... McLeod missed a few, Varney's miss was atrocious (though in all fairness I think he thought Izale was going alone and then his touch was a bit lax) and I also remember Holland having a good go as well. And god the goal-area scramble that lasted a good ten seconds and had 4 or 5 goes at it... how's your luck?

West Brom scored with pretty much their first decent chance and only had about half a dozen clear-cut openings in the entire game. At times they passed the ball around us in the midfield and in wide positions and made us look silly, at others we had them on their toes with pace and direct running. For me, McLeod has come on a lot with his build-up play and workrate, though I just can't overlook the fact he genuinely shits himself everytime he sees the goalkeeper in front of him and (however bold you think it may be) would chuck Dickson in, if not Saturday, then soon after. He's just the enigma that we so badly lack at the moment, and poor Izale doesn't look as if he could finish his dinner right now.

In the end, we showed great fight and made a go of a game not really important in the long run that we were 2-0 down in with 30minutes to go, in the pissing rain. solid effort. what a match and so cruel this game can be!

Ps. nice bright white shorts this time as well!
Pps. thought it was strange Big Chris wasn't in the pen takers, he was colchester's answer to Andy Johnson last year

Comments

• Options
    spot on !

Shame we havn't got a Mendonca or a Killer upfront or we would be sitting top of the plie & into round 4. How varney blazed over from 3 yards out is beyond me and then they let him take one of the pens..........NOooooooooooo.

thought we were the better side over the 2 games & wished we could have some of their luck - Bednar knew nothing about his goal and how they kept out the goal mouth scramble is beyond me.

the only good thing tonight about going into extra time and then pens was that the rain had stopped by the time we left the ground.....oh, and Dicksons goal.

best go to bed now - 2am and have to be up at 7.30, ho hum
  • Options
    I agree with all of that ISLS. Youga was class again, Dickson is a real spark. Ok he was up against some tired legs but he just knows where the goal is. Very unlucky not to get the winner just before the end of extra time.

I thought Varney worked his socks off, just didn't have his shooting boots on. I felt there was very little to chose between the team. They passed it around but alot of it was overplaying. We were more direct.

My main beef was that time and time again, we got into wide positions or picked up free kicks in wide areas and then completely wasted the cross. Lloyd Sam, Ambrose and Moo2 were the main culprits. The only player who seemed to be able to cross it dangerously was Varney.

All in all though it was a good performance against an excellent team and we came as close as the posts width from winning it.
  • Options
    Everytime I see Lloyd Sam play I think more and more how good this boy could be if he looked up once in a while

and as you say, Yassin gets in great positions and now really needs to be taken aside and grilled on his crossing, as well as a bit of positional naivity defensively

I really wouldn't piss on ambrose if he was on fire but thought he had one of his more "involved" performances tonight and worked well, though it does worry me at times when he as our winger finds himself behind play when holland or zheng has the ball in the centre circle

Varney was tireless, and adaptable, he played both channels, centre forward and centre midfield tonight... god knows how we managed to cope with Iwelumo, Dickson, Sam, Thomas and Varney on the pitch for 40 minutes but we did!
  • Options
    Sam for me has quick feet but a slow mind. When he breaks down the right and Moo2 bombs on, he seems to take an age in deciding what to do. If I was Pards I'd be drilling into him the mantra "pass it to Moo2, pass it to Moo2, pass it to Moo2" until it stuck in his f*cking brain. It's the same when he has an opportunity to shoot, he takes such a long time deciding what to do, the opportunity passes.

As for the 4-1-5 formation, I think Varney dropped back into midfield and Thomas seemed to be playing a bit deeper than he normally does but hey that's what is so great about good cup football, when two teams are going for it.
  • Options
    How many loyal addicks made the trip? On the radio they estimated a generous 750-1000 from what i saw on telly it looked 500-600, quite reasonable for us and deserved a better result but sounds like we got a decent performance .
    Hopefully we can start turning out these performances in the league but with winning results cos draws aren't good enough now..... still i'd be happy with a point at watford;-)
  • Options
    I was there and agree with everything (well nearly) that has been said. Thought everyone was great with just a tad of disappointment over Moots, Sam and Mcleod. I have now seen all three games against WBA, enjoyed them all and the one thing thnat sticks out loud and clear is that if everyone thinks WBA are far superior to anything else in the league and will run away with it then we will easily run away with 2nd place cos we are not far behind them so will the gloom and doom merchants finally pack their bags and get on out of here cos things aint that wrong.
  • Options
    I would say 4-500 tops, decent noise though.

Agree with everything said on this thread, last night was crying out for a bit of composure in front of goal. Varney works hard but his touch is woeful, and that miss....

Back to sleep.
  • Options
    Two good teams having a right good go at one another. Not sure that ET will do us any favours on Saturday. During that last 30 mins a few players, Youga & Magic in particular, were really struggling. Their legs had just gone.

I thought Moo2 was poor last night. Failed to jump for the cross that led to their first goal, though the guy that scored it never even saw it. The header just hit him on the shin & flew in from 2 feet. Moo2 also gave the winger far too much room last night. He was constantly struggling to get close to him. That tackle that led to him getting booked was because Moo2 was 20yds away when he got the ball. And he just cannot cross the ball. Sam was bad but Moo2 was shocking. Please can we have crossing lessons for beginners at the training ground??

All in all a good performance. If only we had somebody to convert all the chances we created!!
  • Options
    We are as good as any team that plays football in this league, the problem is against the spoilers and lumpers. Stoke being an example.

Positives from last nite . Dicko scoring, 2 nil down and a good fight back, playing some good stuff against a good team. Weeks rest re 4th round.

hope we can get a good quality midfield guy in, debatable if we need another forward.
  • Options
    cheers for you thoughts guys, and well done for making the trip in awful weather.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    the problem everyone has to remember about Lloyd Sam this is really his first proper season and he's still learning
  • Options
    I dont quite agree with all these sentiments.

Thought McCarthy as a supposed Cart Horse was very effective probably my Man of the Match.

MOO2 put in some extremely pacy and clever tackles. I saw the booking tackle from a different perspective in that he showed immense pace in trying to close down the WBA winger.

Both Dickson and Mcleod are still raw and learning the trade. Mcleod looks terrified in front of goal but his pace does lead to opportunities for others. Dickson is the opposite cant wait to get a strike on goal but is dependant on the hard work of others to give him those opportunities. If they can both improve those weaker elements of their game in the way that Varney has we should hold on to them and see if they can progress.

Ambrose was once again an enigma. Was fairly anonymous for most of the game but pops up with a scruffy goal. When we dont have the ball he doesnt seem to contribute. Didnt touch the ball for the first 10 minutes of the second half. And seems to occupy a position that neither helps close down the oppositions back 4, assist the midfield of Holland/ZZ or track back to Youga.

But overall a great team performance and we appear to have a range of options now which didnt seem the case a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    Whatdoes Ambrose have to do to get some credit?!

He has scored 4/5 goals all season, was invovled in every single goal against Blackpool but is still "an enigma" in some people's eyes.

I think he is a quality player who is up there with a decent amount of ability.

A balance between commitment (Kishishev) and skill (Ambrose) needs to be found agreed but come on - he has been invovled in a lot of good stuff we have done recently so lets get behind him (ooo err).
  • Options
    The problem is WSS everyone wants to see him screaming in to tackles smashing the oppo out of the way , play centre half, left and right back and still score goals.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]I really wouldn't piss on ambrose if he was on fire
    Ambrose set up all four goals on Saturday.
  • Options
    He is a player who floats through games. As said, you weren't seeing him in any screaming tackles or incidents, but the important thing for him is to stay involved in a subtle way. Sometimes he does it well, sometimes he disappears, and its in those disappearing times that you get so frustrated because you know he has the capability.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Whatdoes Ambrose have to do to get some credit?!

He has scored 4/5 goals all season, was invovled in every single goal against Blackpool but is still "an enigma" in some people's eyes.

A balance between commitment (Kishishev) and skill (Ambrose) needs to be found agreed but come on - he has been invovled in a lot of good stuff we have done recently so lets get behind him (ooo err).

Agree with pretty much all of what you say, but the thing that frustrates me (and probably others) is that i've seen what he can do against Ipswich at home and it was very much a 1 off. Yes he set up the goals on saturday but 2 of those, (maybe 3, can't quite remember) came from corners where a decent ball in should be a minimum requirement for a winger.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite] I have now seen all three games against WBA, enjoyed them all and the one thing thnat sticks out loud and clear is that if everyone thinks WBA are far superior to anything else in the league and will run away with it then we will easily run away with 2nd place cos we are not far behind them so will the gloom and doom merchants finally pack their bags and get on out of here cos things aint that wrong.

Hey, I've got a friend....... you hear that, OohAah?

Only kidding, mate ;o)
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Whatdoes Ambrose have to do to get some credit?!

Agree with pretty much all of what you say, but the thing that frustrates me (and probably others) is that i've seen what he can do against Ipswich at home and it was very much a 1 off. Yes he set up the goals on saturday but 2 of those, (maybe 3, can't quite remember) came from corners where a decent ball in should be a minimum requirement for a winger.

Yeah but not a Charlton winger, how often are our set pieces that dangerous?
  • Options
    What on earth was Dickson's goal celebration about? That is the first thing that needs to be addressed in training, and fast.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well Ambrose must be an enigma to attract 2 opposite opinions from such a loyal and intelligent fan base!!

When Ambrose is in the game he can get results.......Blackpool and Ipswich are the obvious examples.

But too often he isnt in the game. As for last night by the time hes in the game we are 2-0 down. Scores in 64th minute substitued in 71st. Was anonymous for the first half and may have contributed to their first goal by not closing down.

Didnt touch the ball for the first 10 minutes of the second half. By now we are 2-0 down.

So hes a bit of luxury. Not sure if we can wait for him to perform every 6 games or so.
  • Options
    This Ambrose thing.........he isn't a winger and isn't really played tactically like one.

Instead of tearing around the pitch, he's also quite disciplined in holding the team shape - so no doubt playing to instructions.

He's not an in your face physical player but his intelligent reading, position play & subtle touches bring him into the game at key moments.

As someone else pointed out on here, much of what Ambrose does do results in openings & goals.
    Watch the TV highlights of our games ...... Ambrose, Ambrose, Ambrose.

Much more influential and effective than many on here give him credit for.
    His managers have always known that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]What on earth was Dickson's goal celebration about? That is the first thing that needs to be addressed in training, and fast.
    It's what WWE wrestler John Cena does - it means "you can't see me"

It was something that started happening when he was playing non-league. I read it somewhere.

I don't like men in latex pants.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]What on earth was Dickson's goal celebration about? That is the first thing that needs to be addressed in training, and fast.

If he scores goals for us at the rate he did for Gillingham then he can celebrate however he likes!
  • Options
    cant believe someone is digging out his celebration! The way i saw it was the utter excitment of scoring for a proper club, not some 2 bit pikey outfit or dulwich helmet!
  • Options
    CENA_01302006jg_049.jpg
  • Options
    salad - four assists is a very very tenuous claim

1. he took a corner - ok
    2. he passed a simple ball to varney who turned sharply, beat two players and shot home - maybe it will go down in the stats but it was hardly the "killer pass" as it was a solo goal
    3. he nearly fell over the ball trying to do god knows with it and it ran to ZZ - no way!
    4. he took another corner, which was then headed onto the bar and put in - not really!

Not the bloke's biggest fan but giving him a bit of credit where it's due for last night, he was far less a passenger and took on his man as well
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]cant believe someone is digging out his celebration! The way i saw it was the utter excitment of scoring for a proper club, not some 2 bit pikey outfit or dulwich helmet!
    That's exactly how I saw it.

For the record, there is nothing wrong with Wrestling.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend_Or_Defoe[/cite]

For the record, there is nothing wrong with naked women mud Wrestling.

totally agree;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend_Or_Defoe[/cite]

For the record, there is nothing wrong with naked women mud Wrestling.

totally agree;-)

LOL ....!