Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - 15th Oct 1977. Charlton 4 Spurs 1

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Classic Glikstein attendance....big day out, the fighting was going on from midday onwards and carried on for an hour after the game... Personally dont recall any Millwall being there...nobody that I didnt recognise were trying to get back into the covered end, just the usual faces...but it was an almighty crowd and some massive surges and the footie wasnt too bad either...

Tel some footage of the game formed part of a documentary which followed a bunch of Millwall hooligans called F Troup. From memory they infiltrated the Spurs filled Covered End and were fighting from within with Charlton boys throwing bricks into the crowd from the East Terrace.
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]As already said Millwall turned up and about 10 of them rushed The Covered End which was full of about 10,000 Spurs fans. They were taking out people all over.
    It's the only game I've ever been at where people were being stretchered away in front of the goal whilst the game was still going on.I always wondered what would have happened if a goal was stopped by hitting a stretcher.
    As for the game 4-1, Flanagan hat trick, brilliant.
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]As already said Millwall turned up and about 10 of them rushed The Covered End which was full of about 10,000 Spurs fans. They were taking out people all over.
    It's the only game I've ever been at where people were being stretchered away in front of the goal whilst the game was still going on.I always wondered what would have happened if a goal was stopped by hitting a stretcher.
    As for the game 4-1, Flanagan hat trick, brilliant.

If you are referring to the dozen or so fans who got into the Covered End by the side of the East Terrace and who caused Spurs fans to spill on to the pitch, I am afraid it's another Millwall myth. Millwall fans were there that day and they caused plenty of trouble but that dozen were Charlton fans. I knew three of them personally and their eyes always glazed over when "it was Millwall" came up. They didn't go in with the intention of causing so much trouble but rather than Charlton fans elsewhere in the ground might rally and try to get a foothold in the Covered End. Not that it matters particularly. The crowd was far larger than the stated attendance and the header on this blog shows the packed East Terrace that day........drinkingduringthegame.blogspot.com
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Classic Glikstein attendance....big day out, the fighting was going on from midday onwards and carried on for an hour after the game... Personally dont recall any Millwall being there...nobody that I didnt recognise were trying to get back into the covered end, just the usual faces...but it was an almighty crowd and some massive surges and the footie wasnt too bad either...

Tel some footage of the game formed part of a documentary which followed a bunch of Millwall hooligans called F Troup. From memory they infiltrated the Spurs filled Covered End and were fighting from within with Charlton boys throwing bricks into the crowd from the East Terrace.

Yes I remember watching the Panorama program on the BBC..the main character in those days was "Ginger" I was one of the ones in the Covered end myself....there were no Millwall with our lot, thats all I can say for certain.
  • Can someone scan that photo of the packed east terrace?

I know it was on front of the programme later that season and have got it somewhere indoors but can't find it!!

There must be 15,000 in that photo alone?!?!?!?!?!?!
  • Telnotinoz, I'm with Addickted it was Millwall who ran up the steps through the middle entrance.
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Definitely Millwall there. They ran into the Covered End through the middle entrance and the Spurs fans parted like the Red Sea.
  • It was some Millwall and some Charlton at least one ofthe CAFC guys is dead and one still goes .
  • edited October 2009
    Some stuff here about the game.---> http://pieandmushypeas.blogspot.com/1977/10/charlton-athletic.html

Shame the pics still don't work.
  • Charlton: Wood, Penfold (Gritt 41), Warman, Tydeman, Campbell, Berry, Powell, Abrahams, Flanagan, Peacock, McAuley.

Spurs: Daines, Naylor, Holmes, Hoddle, McAllister, Perryman, Pratt, McNab, Moores, Robinson, (Stead 80), Taylor.

There can't have been too many occasions when two sets of seven players in one match all, at some time in their career, played in the same position for Charlton i.e. seven played in one position for us and another seven in another position.

See below if you're interested in the answers to the positons and the two sets of players:

Full back: Penfold, Gritt, Warman, Campbell, Berry, Naylor, McAllister

Wing: Warman, Powell, Abrahams, Flanagan, Peacock, McAuley, Robinson
  • Some really nice pics on that blogspot...the ground was heaving that day...and at the West Ham League cup game
  • Tel, you can buy the old photo of the main gate from Amazon. A few others there too if you search in Kitchen and Home for Charlton Athletic.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/10x8-Photograph-25x20cm-Soccer-Football/dp/B001NH2EOY/ref=sr_1_221?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1255602805&sr=1-221
  • Sponsored links:

• 35 years this week!
  • Gulp! i was 14 at that one
  • What a great day/game that was, blimey where has that 35 years gone.
  • 35 years! now I feel old ;-)

it was a great game and atmosphere ... and some of us did get back in the covered end ... but not for long lol
  • Stone said:

Tel, you can buy the old photo of the main gate from Amazon. A few others there too if you search in Kitchen and Home for Charlton Athletic.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/10x8-Photograph-25x20cm-Soccer-Football/dp/B001NH2EOY/ref=sr_1_221?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1255602805&sr=1-221

• edited October 2012
    Only 12 at the time, but was there on the east terrace towards the south terrace, always remember my dad giving McAuley a hard time...but not that day.
  • Was 15. Stood on the East-terrace.....
  • Was 15. Stood on the East-terrace.....

Me too.
  • was 20 .....stood on the east terrace (halfway line ,half way up)
  • edited October 2012
    was there. MacAuley was the Waggy of his day, split fans opinion, but I liked him a lot. His son, Hugh, is doing a good job at Liverpool's academy by all accounts.
  • Sponsored links:

• As usual the Programme can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/8595381740

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Found the pic at last! 30.000 my arse? How many in this pic alone?
  • I was also there that day. I stood on the terracing between the West Stand and the covered end as we couldn't get into the Covered end. What an incredible day, the Valley was a special place with so many people inside. It was nowhere near 30000 it was more like 40000. I was buzzing for a week after that game.
  • I'm in that pic.
  • My mate is a Spurs fan. At the final whistle he went into one.
    Four effing one it should have been ten effing one to us. Wait till we get you down the lane.
    I would be very greatful Dave if you could zip it, as there are some seriously big and pissed off Spurs fans behind us. If you keep carrying on I wont be able to go to the lane anyway.
  • I was on the East Terrace just by the half way line towards the front. I remember a great game but can't recollect any fighting, but who cares we beat Spurs (again)

Me too. One of my favourite games ever, as my boss at the time was a Spurs fan. He took defeat very well to be fair to him.
  • I was there, on the east terrace, and can just see me in the pic!

My over-riding memory is of the match report in the paper the next day, which said that in the first half Peter Taylor was running down the wing so fast that he might end up on the A2!

If I remember correctly, McAuley scored from a long throw, but it was disallowed for offside, then he scored again in almost exactly the same manner seconds later but onside this time. Flash's hat-trick was beautiful!
  • i too am in that the pic ...yes there was trouble in the covered end 100 or so spilled on to the pitch beginning of the game ...this is the game where don mccallister broke mark penfolds leg and steve Gritt deputised

one of the headlines the next day was "true Gritt"
  • Pedro45 said:

I was there, on the east terrace, and can just see me in the pic!

My over-riding memory is of the match report in the paper the next day, which said that in the first half Peter Taylor was running down the wing so fast that he might end up on the A2!

If I remember correctly, McAuley scored from a long throw, but it was disallowed for offside, then he scored again in almost exactly the same manner seconds later but onside this time. Flash's hat-trick was beautiful!

I remember Peter Taylor running from his own penalty area selling dummies to any Charlton player that got near him.
    Unfortunately he sold one to himself and fell flat on his face with just Wood to beat.