Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - 15th Oct 1977. Charlton 4 Spurs 1

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
Sat 15th October 1977. Charlton Athletic 4 (1) (McAuley 2, Flanagan 71 78 82) Tottenham Hotspur 1 (1) (Taylor 25) The Valley. Att: 30,706

Charlton: Wood, Penfold (Gritt 41), Warman, Tydeman, Campbell, Berry, Powell, Abrahams, Flanagan, Peacock, McAuley.

Spurs: Daines, Naylor, Holmes, Hoddle, McAllister, Perryman, Pratt, McNab, Moores, Robinson, (Stead 80), Taylor.

Referee: B J Homewood (Sunbury)

Serious injury: Penfold suffered a double fracture of his right leg in the 41st minute - a complete accident after competing for a ball with McAllister.

Fighting: Some fans were injured when fighting broke out in the Covered End. The game was held up for a short time when hundreds spilled onto the pitch to get away from the trouble.

Highest crowd: For the second successive home match, The Valley attendance was the highest in the second division. There were also five top flight games with lower gates.

Free scoring: With Boro failing to score at Chelsea, Charlton remained the only club in the football league to have scored in every game.

Comments

• Remember this one, the above sums it up, was a great win but it got nasty as well.
  • my first ever game i was hooked from then on
  • One of Charlton's legendary matches.

This was the season after Spurs had been relegated - without checking, probably the only season they had outside the top flight since about 1950. To win 4-1 against Spurs in their promotion year was some achievement.

I was squeezed into an unusually packed East terrace. The atmosphere was electric at times, Flash's hatrick against his old club was absolutely the highlight.

Hugh McAuley opened the scoring with a rare goal. Signed from Carlisle, if I remember, he was a hard working direct left winger much derided by some sections of the crowd. Newcastle had 'Super Mac', Charlton had 'Plastic Mac'.

Laurie Abrahams playing for us - there's a forgotten name - he was an inside forward-cum-striker, skilful but lightweight.

Martin Robinson playing for Spurs - we signed him soon after and, in his own quiet way, became a regular goalscorer for us and a bit of an unsung hero.

That match may also have been Stevie Gritt's debut, coming on as sub. I can't remember if he was on loan or just signed from Bournemouth. Charlton legend in his own right.
  • forgive my ignorance, does that mean Spurs were in Division 2 then ?
  • I was 18 and got a lift up from my mates dad and the traffic/parking was so bad we nearly missed the kick-off. We'd come down the hill and through the Sam Bartram entrance and were basically just perched there, right in the top corner of the East Terrace. I never realised that Flanagan's hat-trick was scored in just 11 minutes and that late in the game. Mind you I often get this game mixed up with the 4-0 against Chelsea!

There was plenty of action on and off the pitch with sporadic fighting throughout the game. It was the norm for large groups from the Bermondsey area to come along and perform a their own version of 'meet and greet' on days when we had big clubs visiting.

Oggy mentions Martin Robinson above, a favorite of mine in that era who formed a good partnership with flash for a while.

ps just looked it up, Spurs finished 3rd in the 2nd division behind Bolton and Southampton but still got promoted.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]forgive my ignorance, does that mean Spurs were in Division 2 then ?

They were relegated the previous year and had one season in Div Two - I remember them beating someone (Bristol Rovers from memory) something like 9-0, I don't think they were promoted as champions though.
  • Southampton went up as champs I think.
    Colin Lee scored four in that 9-0. I don't know why I remember that but I was on holiday in Cornwall at the time, October half-term.
  • A great game apart from the Penfold incident. I've always thought McAllister went in too hard for the challenge. Was not happy when he subsequently signed for us a few years later.
  • Best punch up ever seen at the Valley,just remember loads and loads of Policeman with dogs marching out of players tunnel
  • Sponsored links:

• i was there...the valley, supposedly the biggest capacity league ground in the country, was jam-packed, seemingly at first with just spurs fans...an over generous intake of beer that day meant that i and a few other fans were returning from the gents loos situated in what is now probably the middle of the car park behind the west stand when suddenly a massive roar went up and we all said fck it assuming wrongly that spurs had scored and taken the lead only to find when we chased back onto the terracing that flash had got it...one of the great days that will live on in the memory of all those charlton fans that were there...
  • this was one of the games that sowed the seeds of CAFC support in me, not that I was there, just that it was when I had recently become aware of where, geographically, Leeds was (much to my eternal shame) and where Charlton was and who I should support and hearing the stories about this game from friends, helped make my mind up.
  • I was there. A great day and the crowd must have been 40,000 or maybe more.

They put a picture from the match on the front of the programme later in the season with the East Terrace in the background. It was absolutely packed, no spaces anywhere to be seen.

One of those days you look back on with pride.
  • I stood on the East Terrace with my Dad, and I think I have written this before, but was absolutely on edge the whole game with my 11-year old heart pumping. The game was fantastic but it was kicking off all over the place and I clearly remember blokes running through the East Terrace waving knifes. It was very thin line between being bloody exciting and bloody scary.

But it was once what makest a man, a football man anyway.

As Southampton aluded too, there were many, many more people in The Valley that day than 30,000.
  • As already said Millwall turned up and about 10 of them rushed The Covered End which was full of about 10,000 Spurs fans. They were taking out people all over.
    It's the only game I've ever been at where people were being stretchered away in front of the goal whilst the game was still going on.I always wondered what would have happened if a goal was stopped by hitting a stretcher.
    As for the game 4-1, Flanagan hat trick, brilliant.
  • edited October 2007
    This was one of the games of the Seventies. We were, from memory, unbeaten at home for yonks and the average gates were growing as our invincible home form with attacking football and goals galore was re-kindling the spirits of supporters who had, for years been used to watching mediocrity.

I remember the size of the crowd, the Spuds fans occupying the covered end. Some Millwall hooligans joining our smallish bunch of yobs trying to re-take the covered end, some yobs hurling building materials into the fray.

As for the game, it was nip and tuck in the first half with Penfold's leg being broken by a nasty tackle by McAllister.

As for Flash's hat-trick it was just an amazing 10 minutes. His first causing the Spuds to try and force an equalizer, which left them vulnerable to the counter attack and counter attack is what we did. I walked out at the end on cloud nine. We all knew that the Spuds were nailed on for promotion and we had stuffed them with some amazingly incisive football.

I went to the away trip later on where we took the lead, only to lose it fairly late on. The angry abuse which was hurled at us and the attempts of the Spuds fans to get at us by invading the pitch and jumping into our small away area was pretty scary.

Still happy days though.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite] We were, from memory, unbeaten at home for yonks and the average gates were growing as our invincible home form with attacking football and goals galore was re-kindling the spirits of supporters who had, for years been used to watching mediocrity.
    History repeating itself maybe?
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS
    History repeating itself maybe?

Free scoring: With Boro failing to score at Chelsea, Charlton remained the only club in the football league to have scored in every game.

Well we're keeping that up so far this season.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]forgive my ignorance, does that mean Spurs were in Division 2 then ?

Blimey ...
  • Another of my top ten.....
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2009
    I remember writing to 'The Big Match' querying why the cameras had gone to Palace that day instead of the Valley, Of course they weren't to know what would happen but it just seemed to me to be the better choice what with Flash's Spurs history 'n all. So they ended up with a dull 0-0 from Sellout.
  • I remember going in the turnstiles behind the covered end just before the start, and walking along the East terrace (or the big bank as everyone called it then) looking for a space, and finally getting in by the floodlight in the SE corner. I was at the league cup games v QPR and West Ham in the same era, and this crowd was easily bigger, my Dad who had stood in some of the biggies in the 40's and 50's reckoned it was 45-50000. So, needless to say when I picked up the paper next day, it was just over 30,000. Yeah, right...
  • Oh My God that was my first match !
    I remember being more interested in the punch ups in the crowd than the game.
    But that was it i was hooked, im sure the next game i went to at home was a draw against Mansfield!
  • I was in the West Stand and will never forget the sickening "crack" when Mark Penfold broke his leg. Took the shine off what was a great day.
  • Classic Glikstein attendance....big day out, the fighting was going on from midday onwards and carried on for an hour after the game... Personally dont recall any Millwall being there...nobody that I didnt recognise were trying to get back into the covered end, just the usual faces...but it was an almighty crowd and some massive surges and the footie wasnt too bad either...
  • Definitely Millwall there. They ran into the Covered End through the middle entrance and the Spurs fans parted like the Red Sea.
  • I was taken to the game by a Spurs supporter and remember that they had most of the play , but we converted our chances.

He also took me to WHL later that season when we lost 2-1 to dubious refereeing so my joy was short lived.

I think Hugh Mcauley actually signed from Plymouth but went to Carlisle after leaving us maybe via Tranmere , I think he may have played against us when we secured promotion in 81.

He was also signed with the Hales money and was ironically sold just before killer returned so his outgoing fee would have helped pay for Hales's return.

He is most famous now as a coach for his work with Liverpool academy.
  • Went to this game with about 6 of my friends as a 10th Birthday treat. The East Terrace was absolutly packed. Luckily we were in the Old West Stand. I remmeber all the roads around shooters Hill were at a stand still. I am very distantly related to Mark Penfold so remember this game for all the wrong reasons as well. I seem to remember the game being stopped so that people could climb over the fencing onto the edge of the pitch. I assume it was due to the fighting. This was one of the earliest games I went to and I've now been to 600+. The gate on the day had to be 40,000+

Also 3 future Charlton players in the Spurs team
  • one of my best birthday pressies ever!

I used to play in the same Sunday team as Mark Penfold - Penhill Standard (all be it he was a couple of years younger, he was just that good!)

Hope your'e all going to be saying happy birthday on Thursday!
  • I was on the East Terrace just by the half way line towards the front. I remember a great game but can't recollect any fighting, but who cares we beat Spurs (again)