Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC Transfer Story - Paul Hayes

Comments

• Options
    Anyway would be happy with Clayton Donaldson
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Move on...No point in crying over spilt milk. If Watford offer more pay, he'll go there.
  • Options
    We will be offering top end Div One wages and Watford lower end Championship wages. Doubt there is too much between the two but he will no doubt choose the higher. Who wouldn't ? More concerned that given our two recent histories and what Charlton have to offer in terms of stadium, training facilities and ambition which I believe are all better than Watfords the club have been unable to sell us to him. Those things could have swung it our way but money talks.
  • Options
    Jeez, cut the guy some slack !

Whether he signs for us or not, he's only seeing what these other clubs have to offer. Just like you would do yourself.
  • Options
    @ShootersHillGuru

One could easily argue that our recent history is that we keep getting relegated, and are getting worse by the season.

Watford finished 14th in the Championship - it's a no brainer if he's offered more money by them.
  • Options
    Well looking at some of the names Watford fans are throwing around as a replacement for Danny Graham, there is going to be disappointment up there is Hayes is the replacement. Grumbles 
  • Options
    As I said yesterday. He'll go to Watford. Personally dont care.

People need to get used to this. It is going to happen over and over. Personally dont think we are massively attractive anymore.
  • Options

Cross Donny off the list as he's said he wants to move back down here.

Agree with SHG. 

• Options
    You never know, maybe Guaranteed first team football may sway it!
  • Options
    Jeez, cut the guy some slack !

Whether he signs for us or not, he's only seeing what these other clubs have to offer. Just like you would do yourself.
    No no no Oggy. He's brilliant when we're on the verge of signing him, but now he can fcuk off if someone else has expressed an interest. There is no in-between, evidently.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @ShootersHillGuru

One could easily argue that our recent history is that we keep getting relegated, and are getting worse by the season.

Watford finished 14th in the Championship - it's a no brainer if he's offered more money by them.

You know that kind of comment really p*sses me off. If it was just a case of Division status or the money then we would never have signed players like Di Canio. It is also about the club, its plans for the future, the management team etc. Lets not talk the club down by implying that just because Watford are a league above us, they represent a better career move than coming to us. We have plenty going for us to make the decsion much more broadly based.
  • Options

There's a difference between what we perceive and what Hayes or any other player will. As fans, we're in it for the long term. Of course we can look at it broadly and see that the owners are making some sensible infrastructural appointments and decisions for our future.

But from a player's point of view, Watford are surely a more attractive proposition given they're already a division above, and likely to offer him more dough. Hayes might be an exception, but I don't think many players really care about long term plans. They want to play in as high a league as possible, earning as much money as possible.
  • Options
    And I don't really get the Di Canio comparison. We were a bloody good side when he came to us and probably offered him loads of money.
  • Options
    And I don't really get the Di Canio comparison. We were a bloody good side when he came to us and probably offered him loads of money.

Well DiCanio was on record saying that what swung it for him was the club and history, and he could have gone elsewhere for more money.

Of course some players will chose league status as their primary decision, and that may mean bigger money in the short term. I just don't accept that there isn't a wider calculus which encompasses the relative underlying strengths of particular clubs.

We have a much stronger recent and long term history than Watford. We are in a huge catchment area with strong and enduring links to the local community. We have a plan not just to leave this Division but one that aims for the top. We have new owners with access to deep pockets. We have a bright young and ambitious new manager who has massive respect from within the game. We have a much better ground than Watford with scope and long-term plans for growing beyond the current capacity.
  • Options
    whatever happens, many thanks to Essex_Al for keeping us updated and excited throughout
  • Options
    He hasn't even chosen another team.  Basically all that has happened is a player rumoured to be signing for us is rumoured to be discussing his options with other teams.  For all anyone knows we might have offered him a 100k 1 year contract and one of the others might have given him a 3 year 200k p.a offer. How anyone would be outraged at him considering such a thing is beyond me.  Of course I'm only speculating, as is pretty much everyone on thread.
  • Options
    He hasn't even chosen another team.  Basically all that has happened is a player rumoured to be signing for us is rumoured to be discussing his options with other teams.  For all anyone knows we might have offered him a 100k 1 year contract and one of the others might have given him a 3 year 200k p.a offer. How anyone would be outraged at him considering such a thing is beyond me.  Of course I'm only speculating, as is pretty much everyone on thread.

Agree 100%. We will know soon enough.
  • Options
    Now he's rumoured to have turned down Watford and be signing for us!

Turncoat!
  • Options
    Who needs him we are signing Henry according to FR, happy days
  • Options
    He'll be handy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who needs him we are signing Henry according to FR, happy days
    Happy Days ... Henry Signing ? you mean were getting The Fonz?
  • Options
    Monday , Tuesday ....
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Mark Hughes replacing our current manager, Robbie Savage signing for us, what a crock.
  • Options
    More chance of signing Lenny henry.
  • Options
    Haven't Watford got other things to worry about anyway with Cardiff supposedly after their manager.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    oooh he may have signed Cafcofficial (MW) on twitter is teasing
  • Options
    Nope - just confirmation of Jenkinson. Boo! Got all excited for a minute
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    indeed and it is not even really news is it?  Yes it is now official but it was always going to happen eventually
  • Options
    Wrong thread, sorry ...... but I see Carl Jenkinson has completed his move to Arsenal for an "....undisclosed fee"