Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Snooker updates

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2018
    The interesting thing for me in that draw with it being flat 128 is that 2 amateurs meet

Poomjaeng v Simmonds good chance for 1 of those to get to 2nd round and earn a bit.

The Scottish Open 1st round losers get nothing but if you get to last 64 its £2,500

Winner: £70,000
    Runner-up: £30,000
    Semi-final: £20,000
    Quarter-final: £10,000
    Last 16: £6,000
    Last 32: £3,500
    Last 64: £2,500
    Highest break: £2,000
    Total: £366,000
  • Options
    I forgot to add as I expected Ronnie pulled out of the Scottish Open earlier today, so Daniel Wells will be happy a bye to 2nd round and a guranteed £2,500
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Scottish Open
    Round 1
    Results

Michael Georgiou 4-3 Sean O'Sullivan
    Robbie Williams 4-2 Liam Highfield
    Sam Baird 4-3 Rod Lawler
    Dave Gilbert 4-2 Craig MacGillivary
    Martin O'Donnell 4-1 Chris Wakelin
    Ross Muir 4-1 Alexander Ursenbacher
    Zhang Yong 4-2 Anthony McGill
    Nigel Bond 4-2 Andy Lee
    Michael Holt 4-2 Sam Craigie
    Lyu Haotian 4-2 Fan Zhengyi
    Zhou Yuelong 4-3 Barry Hawkins
    Paul Davison 4-3 Li Hang
    Neil Robertson 4-1 Peter Lines
    Michael White 4-2 Allan Taylor
    Stuart Carrington 4-3 Gary Wilson
    Ding Junhui 4-0 Niu Zhuang
    Eden Sharav 4-0 Hossein Vafaei
    Robin Hull 4-2 Kishan Hirani
    Marco Fu 4-3 Chen Zifan
    Yan Bingtao 4-0 Basem Eltahhan
    Billy Joe Castle 4-1 Stephen Maguire
    Soheil Vahedi 4-2 Hamza Akbar
    John Higgins 4-3 Adam Duffy
    Zhang Jiankang 4-1 Simon Lichtenberg
    Jak Jones 4-1 Sanderson Lam
    Lu Ning 4-3 Duane Jones
    Mike Dunn 4-2 Joe O'Connor
    Ian Burns 4-3 Matt Selt
    Ali Carter 4-0 Luo Honghao
    Graeme Dott 4-1 Xu Si
    Shaun Murphy 4-1 Akani Songsermsawad
  • Options

We also now know the 16 players who will be at Ally Pally in January

Mark Allen
    Mark Williams
    Mark Selby
    Ronnie O’Sullivan
    John Higgins
    Judd Trump
    Barry Hawkins
    Ding Junhui
    Neil Robertson
    Kyren Wilson
    Shaun Murphy
    Stuart Bingham
    Ryan Day
    Stephen Maguire
    Luca Brecel
    Jack Lisowski (debut)

I am going to this with my mates on the Monday, Ronnies game too which was a bit of good fortune :)
  • Options
    Happy with whatever @paulie8290, i know its not easy keeping up to date so whatever format is easiest/ or you prefer

Ronnie is GOAT - That is all :smiley:

Yes i flagged you for your biased view with Ronnie ... even though i know you put a winky face...
  • Options
    Scottish Open
    Round 1
    Results

Lee Walker 4-2 Jordan Brown
    Alfie Burden 4-2 Peter Ebdon
    Ashley Carty 4-2 Craig Steadman
    James Cahill 4-2 Thor Chuan Leong
    Mark King 4-2 Mei Xiwen
    Joe Perry 4-0 James Wattana
    Gerard Greene 4-1 Chris Totten
    Ben Woollaston 4-1 Harvey Chandler
    Mark Allen 4-2 Liang Wenbo
    Chen Feilong 4-3 Fraser Patrick
    Scott Donaldson 4-2 Rory McLeod
    Alan McManus 4-3 John Astley
    Rob Milkins 4-0 Fergal O'Brien
    Luke Simmonds 4-0 Dechawatt Poomjaeng
    Dominic Dale 4-3 Noppon Saengkham
    Zhao Xintong 4-3 Ashley Hugill
    Anthony Hamilton 4-1 Kurt Maflin
    Ryan Day 4-3 Rhys Clark
    David Lilley 4-3 Tom Ford
    Yuan Sijun 4-0 Xiao Guodong
    Luca Brecel 4-0 Hammad Miah
    Jimmy Robertson 4-2 Lukas Kleckers
    Zhang Anda 4-0 Ken Doherty
    Mark Davis 4-3 Jamie Rhys Clarke
    Mark Joyce 4-2 Ricky Walden
    Jack Lisowski 4-3 Adam Stefanow
    Elliot Slessor 4-1 Thepchaiya Un-Nooh
    Matthew Stevens 4-2 Li Yuan
    Joe Swail 4-2 Andrew Higginson
    Judd Trump 4-0 Jimmy White
    Tian Pengfei 4-0 Stuart Bingham
    Kyren Wilson 4-2 Oliver Lines
  • Options
    For my sanity and the constant checking of spelling i am so glad we have lost all the tricky names in round 1

Basem Eltahhan
    Simon Lichtenberg
    Akani Songsermsawad(although I have learnt a trick with him so I get it right first time now)
    Dechawatt Poomjaeng
    Noppon Saengkham
    Thepchaiya Un-Nooh
  • Options
    Scottish Open
    Round 2

Quarter 1
    Neil Robertson(10) v Ross Muir(94)
    Martin O'Donnell(41) v Sam Baird(101)
    Ali Carter(20) v Michael Georgiou(59)
    Mark King(26) v David Lilley(A)
    Joe Perry(17) v Robbie Williams(63)
    Paul Davison(85) v Kyren Wilson(9)
    Nigel Bond(81) v Michael White(36)
    Michael Holt(43) v Shaun Murphy(11)

Quarter 2
    Zhou Yuelong(30) v Lyu Haotian(39)
    Stuart Carrington(42) v Eden Sharav(70)
    Tian Pengfei(79) v Robin Hull(83)
    Lu Ning(88) v Jak Jones(89)
    Ian Burns(72) v Mike Dunn(58)
    Soheil Vahedi(105) v Billy Joe Castle(98)
    Zhang Jiankang(118) v Lee Walker(99)
    Ben Woollaston(44) v Judd Trump(5)

Quarter 3
    John Higgins(4) v Gerard Greene(73)
    Ashley Carty(115) v Yan Bingtao(22)
    Marco Fu(25) v Alfie Burden(95)
    James Cahill(A) v Zhang Yong(75)
    Scott Donaldson(49) v Graeme Dott(21)
    Alan McManus(61) v Luca Brecel(13)
    Luke Simmonds(A) v Yuan Sijun(68)
    Chen Feilong(114) v Mark Allen(6)

Quarter 4
    Ding Junhui(8) v Rob Milkins(32)
    Dominic Dale(67) v Zhao Xintong(69)
    Ryan Day(14) v Anthony Hamilton(56)
    Mark Davis(34) v Zhang Anda(84)
    Matthew Stevens(46) v Elliot Slessor(107)
    Jimmy Robertson(23) v Jack Lisowski(16)
    Joe Swail(91) v Mark Joyce(47)
    Dave Gilbert(18) v Daniel Wells(64)
  • Options
    3 Amatuers remain and all 3 have a shot at winning imo

James Cahill-beat Selby at York at took Akani to a final.frame decider, had a nice victory in round 1 here and is facing Yong who beat McGill but McGill has been poor all season so that wasnt a surprise to me and I think Cahill has a chance of beati g Yong who is ranked 75th

Luke Simmonds- he is facing Yuan Sijun who is a class player on his day but I think Luke has a chance to take it close maybe to a decider and then who knows

David Lilley- brilliant win against Tom Ford who played so well at York and David who is an amatuer but has made the most of the Challenge tour and has won an event in that, he has a very tough match against Mark King but I think David could cause Mark some problems
  • Options
    Great write up @paulie8290 , thanks!

I did catch the end of Ryan Day vs Rhys Clark, Day was 3-1 up with 2 centuries and 90 break but went down to the decider. Why i mention this is Rhys Clark is 24 has been playing since 11ish (cant remember exactly) but already said he is going to retire from snooker at a young age, was really willing him to win yesterday. I like Day but shame someone in their early/mid twenties is going to call it a day, this kind of contradicts the fact the tour is more open to lower ranked players.

Any thoughts?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I did catch the end of Ryan Day vs Rhys Clark, Day was 3-1 up with 2 centuries and 90 break but went down to the decider. Why i mention this is Rhys Clark is 24 has been playing since 11ish (cant remember exactly) but already said he is going to retire from snooker at a young age, was really willing him to win yesterday. I like Day but shame someone in their early/mid twenties is going to call it a day, this kind of contradicts the fact the tour is more open to lower ranked players.

Any thoughts?

Yeah Rhys has said he has fallen out of love with the game, Barry Hearn made a good comment last week which I think relates to this well, its brutal down the bottom of the rankings and only those with will and those who want it will survive.

I actually agree with Barrys statement, you dont want players who are just plodding along, you want players who want to be the best they can be and put the effort in and yes it is brutal down the bottom and you grt no money if you lose in the 1st round, but if you want to progress you put the practice hours in.

Last season Rhys won 1 outbof 15 matches he played, this season he has only entered 4 competitions so far and won 1 match, he has said he doesnt practice anymore either and he only entered this event as he lives 30 minuted from venue.

Whilst I agree you dont want to see a 23 year old fall out of love with the game, I also think desire has alot to do with it and you dont want people on the tour with no desire.

Ask anyone on the challenge tour and they would say they would swap with Rhys in a heartbeat, players who play in these small events are desperate for a place in the tour and a chance to make it big.

Rhys has alot of talent, he showed that yesterday against Day and I would love for him to change his mind as long as he putd the hours in and fully commits.
  • Options

Any thoughts?

Yeah Rhys has said he has fallen out of love with the game, Barry Hearn made a good comment last week which I think relates to this well, its brutal down the bottom of the rankings and only those with will and those who want it will survive.

I actually agree with Barrys statement, you dont want players who are just plodding along, you want players who want to be the best they can be and put the effort in and yes it is brutal down the bottom and you grt no money if you lose in the 1st round, but if you want to progress you put the practice hours in.

Last season Rhys won 1 outbof 15 matches he played, this season he has only entered 4 competitions so far and won 1 match, he has said he doesnt practice anymore either and he only entered this event as he lives 30 minuted from venue.

Whilst I agree you dont want to see a 23 year old fall out of love with the game, I also think desire has alot to do with it and you dont want people on the tour with no desire.

Ask anyone on the challenge tour and they would say they would swap with Rhys in a heartbeat, players who play in these small events are desperate for a place in the tour and a chance to make it big.

Rhys has alot of talent, he showed that yesterday against Day and I would love for him to change his mind as long as he put the hours in and fully commits.
    You are correct, most of what you say.... but again this is supposed to be geared up to the lower ranked players. Admittedly he has only played a few events this year, but i thought they were reducing prizes slightly so they didn't have to pay for the entries so surely it should help them but if they cant win a game it doesn't.

Due to his age , it wouldn't surprise me if he falls of the tour and in a few years time gets the hunger qualifies through Q school and gets on tour again at some point. At his age probably better to do something else and have in the background if he cant afford to put the effort in, or just doesn't want to.
  • Options
    I know he has got a job now.

I think alot of the lower ranked players need dedication, if you are in the top 45-50 you could miss majority of events and still know you will be in there at the end of the season, only the top 64 are guranteed a place on the tour the following season remember so if you are at the end of your 2 year tour card and outside the top 64 then thats it Q school it is.

For the life of me I cant remember who its was but there was a lower ranked player last week who lost in york and within halfhour of losing the guys in the studio were talking about him being on the practice table, like I say I cant remember who it was but that shows dedication and the will to improve and make something.

I would love to have Rhys's talent and a tour card.

I know its not the same and they get paid win or lose but think of it like a Footballer with talent but they dont put the effort into training
  • Options
    They dont get paid if they lose first round, they used to now they dont have to stump up the fee. That was changed recently maybe last year, or even this season.

Agree no matter what talent you have, you still need to put the graft in. Must be difficult as they are playing from a young age, i used to play snooker alot and then kind of lost interest and now dont at all and focused on pool. Yes i have never had their talent/ dedication but just goes to show how easily it is to go from one sport to another. Before snooker was golf, then now go through periods of that too, its all competitive just sometimes it can be easy to lose interest if you aren't really testing yourself or taking it too serious.
  • Options

3 Amatuers remain and all 3 have a shot at winning imo

James Cahill-beat Selby at York at took Akani to a final.frame decider, had a nice victory in round 1 here and is facing Yong who beat McGill but McGill has been poor all season so that wasnt a surprise to me and I think Cahill has a chance of beati g Yong who is ranked 75th

Luke Simmonds- he is facing Yuan Sijun who is a class player on his day but I think Luke has a chance to take it close maybe to a decider and then who knows

David Lilley- brilliant win against Tom Ford who played so well at York and David who is an amatuer but has made the most of the Challenge tour and has won an event in that, he has a very tough match against Mark King but I think David could cause Mark some problems

1 down
    1 through

David Lilley beat Mark King 4-3

Both Cahill and Simmonds are up this afternoon

• Options

They dont get paid if they lose first round, they used to now they dont have to stump up the fee. That was changed recently maybe last year, or even this season.

Agree no matter what talent you have, you still need to put the graft in. Must be difficult as they are playing from a young age, i used to play snooker alot and then kind of lost interest and now dont at all and focused on pool. Yes i have never had their talent/ dedication but just goes to show how easily it is to go from one sport to another. Before snooker was golf, then now go through periods of that too, its all competitive just sometimes it can be easy to lose interest if you aren't really testing yourself or taking it too serious.

The big problem is that to compete on the tour, including travelling, hotels etc costs a lot of money, £20,000-£30,000 in some cases. To earn a living you have to win £50k plus. There is a danger that they are creating a pyramid with no base. A lot of people think the WPBSA is not doing enough for the amateur game to ensure that young players will come through.
  • Options

The big problem is that to compete on the tour, including travelling, hotels etc costs a lot of money, £20,000-£30,000 in some cases. To earn a living you have to win £50k plus. There is a danger that they are creating a pyramid with no base. A lot of people think the WPBSA is not doing enough for the amateur game to ensure that young players will come through.
    Exactly my thoughts Lawrie, although it 'appears' to help the lower ranked players the flat system, it actually doesn't. If they have qualifiers rather then playing a top 32 player in the early rounds it would be more fair, it would make it tougher for the main 16/32 as they wont have easy games to warm up, sometimes pointless games as Ronnie says. I know its kind of catch 22, but i dont personally feel the current system is fault proof and the challenge tour i am not sure how serious that has been as it doesn't get much coverage.

It could work better like in pool, there 3 events Open (for anyone not just professionals and qualifiers, doesnt exclude the pros) Professionals (Pros only, probably odd qualifier), Amateur event (No pros) if there was a system similar where the amateurs still play their own event leading up to the main events and then also can qualify into the main or top amateurs get entrance that would work.

At present they can play anyone, which in some cases just isn't worth it as they rarely win.

I appreciate at present Barry Hearn is trying to change this , but he is a bit blinded as they need to win matches/ events to make it worthwhile. If Ronnie presented his arguments better more people would understand rather than calling people numpties
  • Options
    In regards to your 3 tier suggestion @johnnybev1987 they have a system like that ATM,

you have amateur events all around the world and players like Luo Honghao earned his tour card by winning the WSF World Championship, Adam Stefanow as the WSF runner up also have the winners of EBSA World Champion and world under 21 champion plus a few other events that give winners a place on the tour.

Also the Challenge tour which the top 2 at the end of the season earn a 2 year tour card, plus these players can make up numbers in events if they are needed like Lilley,Cahill and Simmonds in the current Scottish Open.

Then there are currently 127 professionals so people like Rhys Clarke may be down in the 120s but he is still a professional player and gets the pros that come with it, and place in any event they want to enter(apart from the invitationals)

In regards to money for travel and flights, it may be smaller amounts lower down the rankings but sponsorship will help alot woth that, even players like Rhys Clark has at least 2 names on his waistcoat so will be getting some money to cover it, academys help alot as well, there is a couple of good ones in Sheffield, 1 Called the Vic Snooker Academy which has alot.of the young chinesse talent and Ding used to be part of it when he 1st came over, they pay flights housing cost, food everything and they take a percentage of yearly earnings, so if there players dont win to many events they get less money, so they make sure you put the dedicatiom in.

Barry Hearn made a good comment the other day, he only wants the best on the tour, and he isnt gonna make it easy and let people get confortable with mediocre performances, he said if you keep losing then maybe snooker isnt for you and I agree if you are always losing to people ranked in the top 64 and never improving then whats the point, James Cahill beat Mark Selby, Billy Joe Castle just yesterday beat Stephen Maguire they are improving because they want to break into the top 64 in Billys case and Cahill wants to get a place on the tour.

Again Barry Hearn said if you are ranked 80th and the 1st couple of rounds you are playing players below you and getting a few thousand pounds for winning the games then you settle for that, but they way it is now it pushes the lower ranked players 1 tournament they may have 1st round match against someome in the 100s and then next event they are playing a Selby in round 1,people who are settled and not challenged end up taking it easy and he wants to challenge people.

I watched the interview with Barry last weekend and i agreed with pretty much everything he said.
  • Options
    You are missing the point here, i know there is something in place but it doesn't work how it should.

top 2 players might get onto the tour, but they will have tough games or still might struggle to win enough to cover hotels/ travel. Its one of those things, people have always struggled unless you are an elite player, top 32 player normally means you live a comfy life.

Barry Hearn is doing a great job putting something in place, but still think Ronnies argument is valid. But suppose this is one of those things you will always get different opinions on what could be better, he is still doing well and you cant please everyone / Ronnie :)
  • Options
    147 JOHN HIGGINS
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    John Higgins makes his 9th and the 145th 147 in Snooker history and he did it in Scotlanr the home crowd loved that
  • Options
    Scottish Open
    Round 2
    Results

Nigel Bond 4-1 Michael White
    Ian Burns 4-1 Mike Dunn
    Stuart Carrington 4-2 Eden Sharav
    Ali Carter 4-2 Michael Georgiou
    David Lilley 4-3 Mark King
    Lu Ning 4-3 Jak Jones
    Sam Baird 4-1 Martin O'Donnell
    Zhou Yuelong 4-2 Lyu Haotian
    Ding Junhui 4-1 Robert Milkins
    Joe Perry 4-2 Robbie Williams
    Ross Muir 4-2 Neil Robertson
    Bill Joe Castle 4-1 Soheil Vahedi
    Zhang Jiankang 4-2 Lee Walker
    Yan Bingtao 4-0 Ashley Carty
    Zhang Yong 4-2 James Cahill
    Yuan Sijun 4-3 Luke Simmonds
    Zhao Xintong 4-3 Dominic Dale
    Luca Brecel 4-2 Alan McManus
    Graeme Dott 4-1 Scott Donaldson
    Daniel Wells 4-1 Dave Gilbert
    John Higgins 4-0 Gerard Greene
    Tian Pengfei 4-0 Robin Hull
    Alfie Burden 4-3 Marco Fu
    Kyren Wilson 4-0 Paul Davison
    Zhang Anda 4-2 Mark Davis
    Mark Allen 4-1 Chen Feilong
    Shaun Murphy 4-0 Michael Holt
    Jimmy Robertson 4-1 Jack Lisowski
    Matthew Stevens 4-1 Elliot Slessor
    Mark Joyce 4-2 Joe Swail
    Judd Trump 4-0 Ben Woollaston
    Ryan Day 4-1 Anthony Hamilton
  • Options
    Scottish Open
    Round 3

Quarter 1
    Ross Muir(94) v Sam Baird(101)
    Ali Carter(20) v David Lilley(A)
    Joe Perry(17) v Kyren Wilson(9)
    Nigel Bond(81) v Shaun Murphy(11)

Quarter 2
    Zhou Yuelong(30) v Stuart Carrington(42)
    Tian Pengfei(79) v Lu Ning(88)
    Ian Burns(72) v Billy Joe Castle(98)
    Zhang Jiankang(118) v Judd Trump(5)

Quarter 3
    John Higgins(4) v Yan Bingtao(22)
    Alfie Burden(95) v Zhang Yong(75)
    Graeme Dott(21) v Luca Brecel(13)
    Yuan Sijun(68) v Mark Allen(6)

Quarter 4
    Ding Junhui(8) v Zhao Xintong(69)
    Ryan Day(14) v Zhang Anda(84)
    Matthew Stevens(46) v Jimmy Robertson(23)
    Mark Joyce(47) v Daniel Wells(64)
  • Options
    You have to say Quarter 2 has opened up perfectly for Trump.

Would love to see Stevens win quarter 4

But I cant see past a Semi Final line up of

Kyren Wilson v Judd Trump
    Mark Allen v Ding Junhui

The only i am not sure about is quarter 3 I went for Allen but could easily be Higgins
  • Options
    Scottish Open
    Round 3
    Results

Ian Burns 4-1 Billy Joe Castle
    Ali Carter 4-1 David Lilley
    Graeme Dott 4-3 Luca Brecel
    Sam Baird 4-2 Ross Muir
    Kyren Wilson 4-3 Joe Perry
    Stuart Carrington 4-0 Zhou Yuelong
    Shaun Murphy 4-2 Nigel Bond
    Alfie Burden 4-3 Zhang Yong
    Ryan Day 4-2 Zhang Anda
    John Higgins 4-0 Yan Bingtao
    Daniel Wells 4-1 Mark Joyce
    Tian Pengfei 4-3 Lu Ning
    Ding Junhui 4-3 Zhao Xintong
    Judd Trump 4-1 Zhang Jiankang
    Mark Allen 4-1 Yuan Sijun
    Matthew Stevens 4-3 Jimmy Robertson
  • Options
    Scottish Open
    Round 4

Quarter 1
    Sam Baird(101) v Ali Carter(20)
    Kyren Wilson(9) v Shaun Murphy(11)

Quarter 2
    Stuart Carrington(42) v Tian Pengfei(79)
    Ian Burns(72) v Judd Trump(5)

Quarter 3
    John Higgins(4) v Alfie Burden(95)
    Graeme Dott(21) v Mark Allen(6)

Quarter 4
    Ding Junhui(8) v Ryan Day(14)
    Matthew Stevens(46) v Daniel Wells(64)
  • Options
    Daniel Wells must be pretty chuffed to make it this far considering he was due to play Ronnie in round 1!
  • Options
    Scottish Open
    Round 4
    Results

Sam Baird 4-3 Ali Carter
    Stuart Carrington 4-3 Tian Pengfei
    Alfie Burden 4-2 John Higgins
    Daniel Wells 4-0 Matthew Stevens
    Shaun Murphy 4-3 Kyren Wilson
    Ryan Day 4-2 Ding Junhui
    Mark Allen 4-2 Graeme Dott
    Judd Trump 4-1 Ian Burns
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Scottish Open
    Quarter Finals

Sam Baird(101) v Shaun Murphy(11)
    Stuart Carrington(42) v Judd Trump(5)

Alfie Burden(95) v Mark Allen(6)
    Ryan Day(14) v Daniel Wells(64)
  • Options
    Daniel Wells has locked himself up at least £10,000 when he'd likely have walked away with nothing if Ronnie hadn't withdrawn!

Fantastic.