Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• Options
    So, do we want Belgium to win this one so hopefully we both have 6 points after two games and are through?
  • Options
    We want either team to win 6-5 and there to be three red cards and a goal off the ref's arse
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Germany are in a lot of trouble if they fail to beat Sweden in their next match.

They'll likely be out if they dont win... Reckon you could get:

Germany v Sweden (Draw)
    Mexico v South Korea (Mexico Win)

Would mean that Germany have to beat South Korea and hope that Mexico and Sweden dont decide to spent 90-mins passing it around the centre circle.

Only advantage they'd have in that scenario is the fact that neither might want to play out a draw as one of them would be faced with the prospect of Brazil
  • Options

Belgium (3-4-2-1): Courtois, Alderweireld, Boyata, Vertonghen, Meunier, Witsel, De Bruyne, Carrasco, Mertens, E. Hazard, R. Lukaku.

Boyata is a huge step down from Kompany and I'd be interested to see if he sticks with Carrasco as a left wing back against a stronger team.

Other than that, not bad I suppose.
  • Options
    Got Belgium in the sweepstake at work. Come on Belgium ( don’t be vinegar pissers! ).
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Got Belgium in the sweepstake at work. Come on Belgium ( don’t be vinegar pissers! ).

Be very careful saying that here :smiley:
  • Options
    have to say its quite something of a team when you have build up to a game and don't even have time to mention Eden Hazard
  • Options
    Panama fans in good voice.
  • Options
    Mark Lawrenson...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This one looks like it could be a drubbing
  • Options

Predictions from 2014:

Amazing noone picked
    Pickford
    Kane
    Ali
    Dier
    All pretty much certain to start
  • Options

Predictions from 2014:

Amazing noone picked
    Pickford
    Kane
    Ali
    Dier
    Also no mention of Maguire, Danny Rose, Lingard. Lazy journos as usual.
  • Options
    How the hell wasnt that a booking for the Belgian then... worst dive I've ever seen
  • Options

Predictions from 2014:

Amazing noone picked
    Pickford
    Kane
    Ali
    Dier
    Its incredible really, 4 years isnt that long really, if they were predicting 8 or 12 years then its understandable
  • Options
    How the feck can the BBC be baffled by the constant fouls from the Belgians here???
  • Options

Predictions from 2014:

Amazing noone picked
    Pickford
    Kane
    Ali
    Dier
    Its incredible really, 4 years isnt that long really, if they were predicting 8 or 12 years then its understandable
    I disagree, it's a long time in football. Kane only made his first Spurs appearance in 2014.
  • Options
    Belgium look rampant, and also like they're going to have a bad finishing day. Get their act together and this could be six
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:

Predictions from 2014:

Amazing noone picked
    Pickford
    Kane
    Ali
    Dier
    I disagree, it's a long time in football. Kane only made his first Spurs appearance in 2014.

Predictions from 2014:

Amazing noone picked
    Pickford
    Kane
    Ali
    Dier
    Not really.

In 2014 Pickford was on loan at Burton and Carlisle in league two.
    Kane had barely broken into the Spurs side.
    Dele Alli was in his first full season at MK Dons in league one
    Eric Dier had played a few games for Sporting and barely anyone here had heard of him.
    Yet they happily picked Onomah who didnt make his senior debut until 2015/2016
  • Options
    Belgium look like a mirror of England 2002-2010 it`s uncanny
  • Options
    I'd love to see the team you would've picked Paulie... :-)
  • Options
    you know what, I think Panama could do this
  • Options

Talal said:

Predictions from 2014:

Amazing noone picked
    Pickford
    Kane
    Ali
    Dier

Predictions from 2014:

Amazing noone picked
    Pickford
    Kane
    Ali
    Dier
    Not really.

Eric Dier had played a few games for Sporting and barely anyone here had heard of him.
    One person took a punt, no big deal. In 4 years time there will be a number of players involved that no one would think of suggesting now. Do your squad for 2022 and we'll see :wink:
  • Options

Predictions from 2014:

Amazing noone picked
    Pickford
    Kane
    Ali
    Dier
    Not really.

All true - but the predictions feel a bit lazy. Kane wasn't a complete unknown - he was in the England youth teams. He made his U21 debut in 2013.
  • Options

you know what, I think Panama could do this

Get a draw maybe but no better... They dont seem overly quick on the counter so Belgium get the chance to get back each time
  • Options
    Talal said:

Talal said:

Predictions from 2014:

Amazing noone picked
    Pickford
    Kane
    Ali
    Dier

Predictions from 2014:

Amazing noone picked
    Pickford
    Kane
    Ali
    Dier
    Not really.

One person took a punt, no big deal. In 4 years time there will be a number of players involved that no one would think of suggesting now. Do your squad for 2022 and we'll see :wink:
    Thats my point, I find it amazing that 1 person took a punt on him and 2 people on Roberts yet no-one took a punt on 4 players who are gonna start.

• Options
    It's really not as easy as you think. I'd bet if we all picked our starting XI for 2022 no one would get more than 4-5 right. 4 years ago who had heard of Rashford? There was a feature on Gabriel Jesus last week saying that in 2014 he helped paint the streets of his town before the tournament, 4 years later he's their number 9.

If i was to pick mine i'd go with the likes of Pickford, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Foden, Alli, Sancho, Sterling, Kane as the nucleus of my side but you just don't know.