Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• Options
    3 nil England then
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Were also unlucky to only draw 2-2 with Turkey too, who are a decent side. We know more about the European and South American sides so it easy to underestimate teams like Tunisia. They are a decent side. England should beat them, but it they do by however many, it will be a good start.
  • Options

Nearly choked on my beer when Bilic was saying how good Brazil were at half time. Yes the started very well, but after the goal, the Swiss were coming back into it which they continued in the second half. Brazil are a good side and rightly one of the favourites, but the Swiss exposed genuine weaknesses.

I think we have had a couple of stars of the tournament so far. Ronaldo for his hat-trick and Osorio, the Mexican manager. Low played a confidence trick - he set up very offensively which would have effectively given them an extra man against a cautious side like say Serbia.

Osario had two strikers staying up and one advanced player who would quickly join them when Germany lost possession so they were attacking with an extra man. What surprised me is that when in great positions, the Mexicans took a bit too long to get their shots off so the Germans got away with it, but strangely Low didn't change anything so it continued to happen and inevitably it did lead to a goal.

It is simple but immesne credit needs to go to the manager. Credit to the Germans for playing such an open game even though it was a bit arrogant - I don't think Osario was complaining. I enjoyed that game more than any other so far, including Spain v Portugal because the tactics were fascinating and whilst only 1 goal in it, a goal was a possibility throughout.

The positive is, I wouldn't write off England's chances against either Brazil or Germany. They have a difficult opener. More difficult than some people are expecting. If we get through it easily, it will be an excellent performance and Southgate will deserve credit.

Agree with this, tonight is going to be very tough. People seem to think that it's 'only Tunisia' and we'll win easily, but they're a decent enough side.

In the past year they've beaten fellow world cup qualifiers Egypt, Iran, Costa rica, got a draw away to Portugal a couple of weeks ago and were only beaten 1-0 by a late goal against Spain last week.
    I genuinely don't know anything about Tunisia, how do they play? Got any decent players?
  • Options
    A positive is that two of their best are out injured!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Nearly choked on my beer when Bilic was saying how good Brazil were at half time. Yes the started very well, but after the goal, the Swiss were coming back into it which they continued in the second half. Brazil are a good side and rightly one of the favourites, but the Swiss exposed genuine weaknesses.

I think we have had a couple of stars of the tournament so far. Ronaldo for his hat-trick and Osorio, the Mexican manager. Low played a confidence trick - he set up very offensively which would have effectively given them an extra man against a cautious side like say Serbia.

Osario had two strikers staying up and one advanced player who would quickly join them when Germany lost possession so they were attacking with an extra man. What surprised me is that when in great positions, the Mexicans took a bit too long to get their shots off so the Germans got away with it, but strangely Low didn't change anything so it continued to happen and inevitably it did lead to a goal.

It is simple but immesne credit needs to go to the manager. Credit to the Germans for playing such an open game even though it was a bit arrogant - I don't think Osario was complaining. I enjoyed that game more than any other so far, including Spain v Portugal because the tactics were fascinating and whilst only 1 goal in it, a goal was a possibility throughout.

The positive is, I wouldn't write off England's chances against either Brazil or Germany. They have a difficult opener. More difficult than some people are expecting. If we get through it easily, it will be an excellent performance and Southgate will deserve credit.

Agree with this, tonight is going to be very tough. People seem to think that it's 'only Tunisia' and we'll win easily, but they're a decent enough side.

In the past year they've beaten fellow world cup qualifiers Egypt, Iran, Costa rica, got a draw away to Portugal a couple of weeks ago and were only beaten 1-0 by a late goal against Spain last week.
    I genuinely don't know anything about Tunisia, how do they play? Got any decent players?
    Not really sure to be honest, all i know is that their best player and star striker Msakni is out injured. Their manager described his absence as like Argentina losing Messi!
  • Options

se9addick said:

Not really sure to be honest, all i know is that their best player and star striker Msakni is out injured. Their manager described his absence as like Argentina losing Messi!
    It probably won't be very tough then!
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Tunisia are well organised and defensively decent - based on some you tube research.

Moving back to VAR - I thought it was incredible the Swiss goal stood. For me when you put your rams in front of you and push it is a push. I manage a youth side and had a conversation about a penalty we should have got when our player was pushed by the most blatant push in the world. The ref said he saw it but didn't think it was that hard!

There was some similar talk about the Swiss guy. I can understand how a nudge may be less clear, but a non-ambiguous push is a push surely. I think refs at all levels have to get their act together on this. Yes, I am still bitter about it :)
  • Options
    You are talking about Tunisia aren't you?
  • Options
    Anyone see the program on past England managers last night? Thought it was a good watch, surprised Allardyce agreed to appear but fair play to him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any team that defends in numbers and is well organised will be hard to break down.
  • Options
    if we cant beat tunisia then may aswell give up now, im expecting a big win tonight and to comfotably beat panama i would even consider resting some players against belgium as hopefully the belgians dont fuck us over for once and win both there games then we will both be qualified going into the last game.
  • Options
    germany that's the worst outcome im hoping the swedes get a win today and then will have it all to play for against germany knowing that a win will send them through, equally if mexico could then get a result against south korea - would be curtains for germany.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Loving the BBC team.
  • Options
    They also played 2 friendlies behind closed doors (decided right at the last minute) to stop Swedish scouts getting a look at the team They are really doing everything they can to get some advantage. Hope they get turned over to be honest....
  • Options

Dont really see a problem with that?

imagine you bought tickets to the game, turn up and get told that they decided an hour before kick off that the match would be played behind closed doors. I'd be pretty annoyed.
  • Options
    Bet Son plays up top. Not really a surprise, is it?
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Dont really see a problem with that?

imagine you bought tickets to the game, turn up and get told that they decided an hour before kick off that the match would be played behind closed doors. I'd be pretty annoyed.
    As it was played in a 4,000 seater stadium in Austria, i cant imagine there will be many that upset by it.

Edit: Looking at reports i dont even think it was advertised as being on sale. FIFA might not even register it as a full international.
  • Options
    doesn't really matter my point wasn't that there was anything really wrong with it, I was adding further context to the tweet Callum quoted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Yep, discounting the fact that it's England in tournament football, this tournament has stung a few of the top teams already... Wouldn't be surprised if England are the latest team to huff and puff and struggle to break their opponent down.
  • Options
    Sage said:

With 25 minutes to go, Neymar was struggling and should’ve came off bringing on Douglas Costa and Firmino, keeping on Jesus. I thought he took far too long on the ball and was not fit enough tonight. But I assume the pressure for their golden boy to play was too great, so had to play him the full 90.

Agree, thought he looked largely poor and off the pace. I suspect that going to PSG, and the way he is treated there, hasn't really helped him. And as you say I think there's a big question about whether or not he's fit. Switzerland did well, a lot of little niggling fouls against him, they passed him to different players, but something didn't seem right with Neymar, be it fitness or that he now just expects to turn up and be brilliant.
  • Options

if we cant beat tunisia then may aswell give up now, im expecting a big win tonight and to comfotably beat panama i would even consider resting some players against belgium as hopefully the belgians dont fuck us over for once and win both there games then we will both be qualified going into the last game.

Clueless
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

This is the kind of attitude that dooms England at major tournaments. England expects. Expects what? And why? We've seen time and again that hard working, compact teams can frustrate the more fancied sides. And we have seen England fall victim to it in just about every tournament in recent memory. It's all well and good playing the Brazils and Hollands of the world in friendlies, but that's not who England struggle against. They struggle against Slovakia and Russia and Slovenia, teams that are tough to break down, exactly like Tunisia.

England look a decent side with a good young manager who are the third youngest at the tournament. But how many times have we seen England teams turn up and forget how to control a ball at a major tournament? You would think after Iceland, and just as much after some of the performances in the group at the Euros, this "we'll steamroll all the small teams" would stop.
    I understand where you are coming from but as a fan of any team, including club side I might add, you have to show some ambition and have the attitude that you can beat anyone - I also don't think it's an attitude exclusive to England, Argie fans will think they should be beating Iceland by 3 or 4, Germans will have expected to beat Mexico and Brazil fans will have expected 4 or 5 against Switzerland. I'll be happy to take a 1-0 win but just think if we won this game 3 or 4 nil it will send a huge message to the other teams in the tournament, as it stands of the favourites so far France are the ONLY team to even get a win. Wouldn't it be nice if we were comfortably through after 2 games and can rest a player or two for the third whilst the other teams are stressing and scraping through by the skin of their teeth - just for a change!
  • Options
    First time Neymar has played a full game since 17th February, so he's bound to be a bit rusty. Although he did score 2 great goals in their friendlies last week.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

SDAddick said:

This is the kind of attitude that dooms England at major tournaments. England expects. Expects what? And why? We've seen time and again that hard working, compact teams can frustrate the more fancied sides. And we have seen England fall victim to it in just about every tournament in recent memory. It's all well and good playing the Brazils and Hollands of the world in friendlies, but that's not who England struggle against. They struggle against Slovakia and Russia and Slovenia, teams that are tough to break down, exactly like Tunisia.

England look a decent side with a good young manager who are the third youngest at the tournament. But how many times have we seen England teams turn up and forget how to control a ball at a major tournament? You would think after Iceland, and just as much after some of the performances in the group at the Euros, this "we'll steamroll all the small teams" would stop.
    I understand where you are coming from but as a fan of any team, including club side I might add, you have to show some ambition and have the attitude that you can beat anyone - I also don't think it's an attitude exclusive to England, Argie fans will think they should be beating Iceland by 3 or 4, Germans will have expected to beat Mexico and Brazil fans will have expected 4 or 5 against Switzerland. I'll be happy to take a 1-0 win but just think if we won this game 3 or 4 nil it will send a huge message to the other teams in the tournament, as it stands of the favourites so far France are the ONLY team to even get a win. Wouldn't it be nice if we were comfortably through after 2 games and can rest a player or two for the third whilst the other teams are stressing and scraping through by the skin of their teeth - just for a change!
    I get that, and I think there's a really big difference between hope and expectation when it comes to England. And what you're talking about is hope, which I totally get, but I don't think that's what was being talked about previously.

Also, there is a big difference between England and Germany, (the World Cup holders), Argentina, (World Cup runners and up x2 Copa America runners up), and Brazil, (Brazil) in that they are better teams with significantly better players. And perhaps most importantly, they have all performed at major tournaments in recent years. Yes the 7-1 loss to Germany was humiliating, but it was in the semi-final. England have only once been to a semi-final when not on home soil.
  • Options
    the number of teams that always start slow in tournament football and have started slow this year is always incredible.

opening games are notoriously cagey and cautious. In an ideal world you want to face a team that no matter how resilient they are, you'll still beat them (panama is perhaps an example)

Coming up against a team that are no pushovers and will be hard to break down in Tunisia, I feel if it was the 2nd or 3rd group game I'd be confident in a 2 or 3 nil win. But the opening game, I'll take a 1-0 or 2-1 no problem.