Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• Options
    McBobbin said:

Normally for a world cup I reckon it's between Brazil, Germany, France, Spain and Italy. Seeing as Italy aren't even in it, I'm thinking Spain based on what I've seen so far, but none are looking invincible.

Id chuck Croatia in that mix
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Incredible really that both Germany and Brazil messed up. One or the other maybe but both!

Imagine Mexico and Switzerland top the groups and still have to face Germany and Brazil in the 2nd round
    Imagine Sweden beating Germany, not fantasy land stuff either......
  • Options
    Brazil just couldn't find the net.

I thought the Swiss were excellent and they should be proud.

Brazil showed sparks of how they might destroy teams further in the tournament.

On this occasion, Switzerland seemed to deal with what was mostly thrown at them.

Shakiri pissed me off. Twat that bloke
  • Options

McBobbin said:

Normally for a world cup I reckon it's between Brazil, Germany, France, Spain and Italy. Seeing as Italy aren't even in it, I'm thinking Spain based on what I've seen so far, but none are looking invincible.

Id chuck Croatia in that mix
    Agree with this. Very well organised with some gamechangers in the team.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Incredible really that both Germany and Brazil messed up. One or the other maybe but both!

Imagine Mexico and Switzerland top the groups and still have to face Germany and Brazil in the 2nd round
    Even a draw might be enough.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Even a draw might be enough.
    If Sweden can heavily beat South Korea it will be...

Again though if Serbia can also draw with Brazil it'll make the latters chances of winning the Group very slim - then England could really be handed a great chance to get past the Quarters
  • Options
    Weltschadenfreude !!

Atilla, Bismark, von Schlieffen, Kaiser Bill, Hindenberg, Unkie Adolf, Adenauer, Brandt, Kohl, Merkel, and the Franco-German Appreciation Society...........

Germany can you hear me? Germany..... This is England calling, this is England calling. Germany...... your girls took a hell of a beating! Your girls took a hell of a beating!"

Your girls took one hell of a beating today !

"If you ever see a post from WRICURKINCAM walk away and pretend you didn't. Only madness lies ahead. " = Henry Irving.
  • Options
    Looks to me that there is no crowd segregation at any games. When I got my tickets through official channels I sort of expected to be standing with other England fans. It might be the festival of football but if I;m standing next to opposition fans when I go out there I'm not going to be cuddling them if they score. Given what happened in Marseille I'm sort of surprised they haven't done the basics in crowd control.
  • Options
    The Swiss deserved a draw after looking on the ropes after Coutinho's strike. For Brazil, I thought that too much went through Neymar, who reinforced his reputation as a prima donna. Another interesting game, albeit without the passion and drama of Germany v Mexico.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With 25 minutes to go, Neymar was struggling and should’ve came off bringing on Douglas Costa and Firmino, keeping on Jesus. I thought he took far too long on the ball and was not fit enough tonight. But I assume the pressure for their golden boy to play was too great, so had to play him the full 90.
  • Options
    Sage said:

With 25 minutes to go, Neymar was struggling and should’ve came off bringing on Douglas Costa and Firmino, keeping on Jesus. I thought he took far too long on the ball and was not fit enough tonight. But I assume the pressure for their golden boy to play was too great, so had to play him the full 90.

Echos of Ronaldo in 1998.
  • Options

Looks to me that there is no crowd segregation at any games. When I got my tickets through official channels I sort of expected to be standing with other England fans. It might be the festival of football but if I;m standing next to opposition fans when I go out there I'm not going to be cuddling them if they score. Given what happened in Marseille I'm sort of surprised they haven't done the basics in crowd control.

Totally agree tomorrow it will go off 100-%
  • Options

Weltschadenfreude !!

Atilla, Bismark, von Schlieffen, Kaiser Bill, Hindenberg, Unkie Adolf, Adenauer, Brandt, Kohl, Merkel, and the Franco-German Appreciation Society...........

Germany can you hear me? Germany..... This is England calling, this is England calling. Germany...... your girls took a hell of a beating! Your girls took a hell of a beating!"

Your girls took one hell of a beating today !

"If you ever see a post from WRICURKINCAM walk away and pretend you didn't. Only madness lies ahead. " = Henry Irving.

Walked away

Promise
  • Options
    The lesser South and Central American teams have looked technical gifted but unable to threaten in the final third. México showed how to add the bite the others lacked.
  • Options

If Mexico had someone like Aguero in their side it would be 4:0 or 5:0 now..

Think there are a few teams here who could be doing so much better if they had a World Class Striker

Mexico / Iceland are two of those
    Peru are another one
    Guerro looked decent when he came on, if they last long enough in the tournament for him to get fit they could do something.
  • Options

Not cuddling? Scroll back to the pic of the Mexican fan.
  • Options

Like that at every tournament. If you bought tickets through England supporters club or applied to follow England games then you'll be sitting with England fans.

Either way not sure what the problem is, not that hard to resist lamping an opposition fan sitting next to you.
  • Options
    Unimpressive performance from Brazil, like Germany they lacked energy and imagination to me. It certainly makes the groups more interesting when the fancied teams don't win their first games
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Blucher said:

The Swiss deserved a draw after looking on the ropes after Coutinho's strike. For Brazil, I thought that too much went through Neymar, who reinforced his reputation as a prima donna. Another interesting game, albeit without the passion and drama of Germany v Mexico.

My girlfriend, who, I am pleased to say is partial to a Brazilian, thought they dived far too much.
  • Options
    And you wonder why football fans have the reputation that they do.

No other sports have segregation, their fans can handle a team scoring without needing to batter the opposing fans.
  • Options
    I've been to plenty of World Cup matches over the years and, apart from a section for the official supporter clubs, it is never segregated. Made for interesting times at England v Argentina at France 98 but even then it didn't lead to trouble.
  • Options
    So there are a few of you that can't wait to sit with the Millwall fans when we next play them eh?
  • Options
    South Korea has a tradition of cheating in international sports. And over the years they have developed many sorts of dirty tricks to help themselves win, both on and off the field.
  • Options

South Korea has a tradition of cheating in international sports. And over the years they have developed many sorts of dirty tricks to help themselves win, both on and off the field.

2002 springs to mind.
  • Options
    Wasn’t really a surprise Argentina getting a draw they did lose the falklands with a 100% possession, also not exactly the 1st time Germany have failed to fire in Russia.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Nearly choked on my beer when Bilic was saying how good Brazil were at half time. Yes the started very well, but after the goal, the Swiss were coming back into it which they continued in the second half. Brazil are a good side and rightly one of the favourites, but the Swiss exposed genuine weaknesses.

I think we have had a couple of stars of the tournament so far. Ronaldo for his hat-trick and Osorio, the Mexican manager. Low played a confidence trick - he set up very offensively which would have effectively given them an extra man against a cautious side like say Serbia.

Osario had two strikers staying up and one advanced player who would quickly join them when Germany lost possession so they were attacking with an extra man. What surprised me is that when in great positions, the Mexicans took a bit too long to get their shots off so the Germans got away with it, but strangely Low didn't change anything so it continued to happen and inevitably it did lead to a goal.

It is simple but immesne credit needs to go to the manager. Credit to the Germans for playing such an open game even though it was a bit arrogant - I don't think Osario was complaining. I enjoyed that game more than any other so far, including Spain v Portugal because the tactics were fascinating and whilst only 1 goal in it, a goal was a possibility throughout.

The positive is, I wouldn't write off England's chances against either Brazil or Germany. They have a difficult opener. More difficult than some people are expecting. If we get through it easily, it will be an excellent performance and Southgate will deserve credit.
  • Options

Nearly choked on my beer when Bilic was saying how good Brazil were at half time. Yes the started very well, but after the goal, the Swiss were coming back into it which they continued in the second half. Brazil are a good side and rightly one of the favourites, but the Swiss exposed genuine weaknesses.

I think we have had a couple of stars of the tournament so far. Ronaldo for his hat-trick and Osorio, the Mexican manager. Low played a confidence trick - he set up very offensively which would have effectively given them an extra man against a cautious side like say Serbia.

Osario had two strikers staying up and one advanced player who would quickly join them when Germany lost possession so they were attacking with an extra man. What surprised me is that when in great positions, the Mexicans took a bit too long to get their shots off so the Germans got away with it, but strangely Low didn't change anything so it continued to happen and inevitably it did lead to a goal.

It is simple but immesne credit needs to go to the manager. Credit to the Germans for playing such an open game even though it was a bit arrogant - I don't think Osario was complaining. I enjoyed that game more than any other so far, including Spain v Portugal because the tactics were fascinating and whilst only 1 goal in it, a goal was a possibility throughout.

The positive is, I wouldn't write off England's chances against either Brazil or Germany. They have a difficult opener. More difficult than some people are expecting. If we get through it easily, it will be an excellent performance and Southgate will deserve credit.

Agree with this, tonight is going to be very tough. People seem to think that it's 'only Tunisia' and we'll win easily, but they're a decent enough side.

In the past year they've beaten fellow world cup qualifiers Egypt, Iran, Costa rica, got a draw away to Portugal a couple of weeks ago and were only beaten 1-0 by a late goal against Spain last week.