Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peterborough v Charlton | Sat 10 Mar | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Peterborough United v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 10th March 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Brett Huxtable (Devon)

Introduction

Charlton return to action this weekend after a two week break from Football… Last Saturday the Addicks were due to travel to South West London, yet bad weather saw our match against AFC Wimbledon being called off, and so creating further fixture congestion later in the season – Tomorrow Charlton make the trip up to Peterborough in what could be a battle for the last Play-Off place on offer, victory for either side will surely go a long way to boosting those hopes of a trip to Wembley in May!!

The Opposition
Name: Peterborough United | Manager: Steve Evans
Ground: London Road

There have been plenty of games where we as Charlton fans have felt that the team have deserved more from a match this season… If you spin that statement around, then our performance against Peterborough is certainly a game where nothing was deserved – Out played for 90 minutes, Charlton managed to capitalise on a side who are just as inconsistent and two goals (courtesy of Ricky Holmes and Karlan Ahearne-Grant) ensured that the points were somehow shared.

That day in November saw Charlton six points, yet just one place ahead of their opponents… Fast forward to March and that gap is now a solitary point… Grant McCann has now gone and in his place is Steve Evans, a man who knows this level and having done wonders at Mansfield Town, was a sensible choice to replace the outgoing McCann. With the postponements last weekend, this’ll be Evans’ first game… You can be sure his players will be up for the fight!!

Charlton Team News
Two weeks between matches means that our players have had a chance to rest and recuperate… Those on the injury table will surely be closer to a return for what’ll be an important run in. Sadly though that isnt the case and once again injuries appear to be pilling up, leaving us the fans wondering what is going on in terms of the players fitness etc.

Having made his return a few weeks ago; Tariqe Fosu appears to have returned to the physio room and seems to have been joined by Jake Forster-Caskey, meaning that both will in race against time to be fit for tomorrows match – Should the latter be missing then you’d expect to see a defence protected by Joe Aribo and Johnnie Jackson, having scored twice for the U23s; Anfernee Dijksteel will surely be left wondering what he has to do to start in his preferred position.

Josh Magennis having led the line so well is another likely to be missing… Another player with another muscle injury (hamstring) raising the question marks – Should he be missing then its likely we’ll see Michal Zyro starting for the first time in an Addicks shirt!!

Amos
Solly | Konsa | Pearce | Page
Aribo | Jackson
Marshall | Reeves | Kaikai
Zyro

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Dijksteel | Bauer | Lennon | Forster-Caskey | Ajose | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
Am almost to the point of giving up trying to even guess how a game can go, let alone trying to predict the result… Steve Evans is one of the masters at this level and will set his side up well – Keeping Maddison and Marriott quiet will go a long way to securing a draw. There used to be a time when a Charlton win was guaranteed over Peterborough, no longer I fear!!

Comments

• Options
    Good preview.

Score draw

I wonder if he will play Jackson or go with Dijksteel in the middle? Both bring different types of risk.

I think Magennis will play.
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    Anyone know if tickets will be available on the day? I cant find anything on the OS
  • Options
    I hope this is just a nervous reaction to having my wisdom tooth out but I think we may get tanked 3-0.
  • Options
    Posh 3 - Addicks 1
  • Options
    Peterborough 7-0 Charlton

Oxford decide they don't actually want Robinson, he stays and we miss the playoffs, the interested parties pull out and we end up relegated in summer 2019.

or

Peterborough 1-3 Charlton

Oxford up their offer to Robinson, Euell and Jacko run the squad a few weeks, the club is sold to an interested party and they bring in a manager who knows how to get out of this league. We miss out on promotion, rebuild in summer 18 and are promoted as champions in summer 19.

The clubs future hangs in the balance based on this game... or it doesn't.... or it might.... Who knows?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    This is a banker home win . New manager syndrome plus more ridiculous injuries to our first team . 10-6 odds on William Hill for a home win is like printing money.
    3-1 Posh
  • Options
    2-1 home win
  • Options
    3-1 defeat.

Robinson takes fully responsibility in his post match press conference, but follows it up with a host of excuses.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-0 Posh. We are in disarray.
  • Options
    Can't see us getting anything from this one, think its Playoffs over if we don't get at least a point
  • Options
    3-0 Posh.

Robbo blames Lianne on reception.
  • Options
    2-2, same as the home game. No idea who will get our 2 goals but will have to be different to the scorers that evening as neither are now with us.

Big 3 weeks coming up. 5 games left in March, 3 against the bottom 6 & 2 against the sides that are directly above & below us. An unbeaten run should mean we climb into the top 6 again but defeat tomorrow and on the 24th will see our hopes dashed for another year. BIG GAME.
  • Options
    I notice that Scunthorpe have now played 3 games more than us and 2 more than Posh and Bradford, so are certainly catchable.
  • Options
    Due a stuffing...and Charlton!

4-0
  • Options
    1 - 1 Draw , Zyro opens his account.
  • Options
    Very tricky game all of a sudden, so given that I'd take a point, 1-1.
  • Options
    1-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Peterborough United

Verified account

@theposhofficial
    29m29 minutes ago
    More
    IMPORTANT INFORMATION | The Fair Meadow car park is out of use for supporters on Saturday due as they are setting up for a fun fair. Details of alternative parking here: https://www.theposh.com/news/2018/march/fair-meadow-car-park-unavailable/ … #pufc

• Options
    Well that’s 15 seconds of my life I’ll never get back. What a waste of airspace
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Peterborough United

Verified account

@theposhofficial
    29m29 minutes ago
    More
    IMPORTANT INFORMATION | The Fair Meadow car park is out of use for supporters on Saturday due as they are setting up for a fun fair. Details of alternative parking here: https://www.theposh.com/news/2018/march/fair-meadow-car-park-unavailable/ … #pufc

• Options
    Wont show up.... 2-0
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    It's nice to have that feeling that we're back to playing football.

I fear I won't be saying that come 900/1645 tomorrow.

This would be my team. It seems, Josh, JFC, and Fosu are fit in at least some capacity:

............ Amos
    Solly Konsa Bauer Sarr
    ......... JFC Dijksteel
    Zyro Reeves Fosu
    ......... Magennis

Bench: AMB, Pearce, Page, Aribo, Kaikai, Marshall, Ajose

Zyro provides less defensive cover (which might cause me to start Konsa at RB and bring page in at LB shifting everyone across one), but Marshall has been frankly very poor for much of the season and I think he's better suited to being an impact sub when he can use his pace against tiring legs.

I know starting Dijksteel represents a risk but he's a natural defensive midfielder, which Jackson isn't. And when Aribo and JFC played together they both had their worst games of the season. They want to take up very similar positions and it ended up with neither being a true holding player and neither having attacking freedom. Especially if you're going to start Zyro I think you need an anchor at the base of midfield.

Pearce was awful two weeks ago and I continue to believe he is not well suited to our system.

We are getting players back and, assuming we don't have any new injuries, we will be looking at leaving at least one senior pro out of the team. For me it would be Jackson. I sort of doubt Karl will do that especially with Kashi missing, but picking a squad is hard.
  • Options
    Like us they have a game in hand to play on Tuesday. The thing is we could lose tomorrow, then on Tuesday we win and they lose. Then next Saturday we could win again and they could lose again. As a result of that we would be 4 points ahead of them. OR we could win tomorrow then go on to lose BOTH on Tuesday and next Saturday while they win BOTH on Tuesday and next Saturday and they would be two points ahead of us. So it wouldn't quite be season defining just yet I don't think. But as for tomorrow Charlton heart says 2-0 win. Football head says hardly contested 1-1 draw.
  • Options
    With that team will be 3-0 Peterborough, if Fosu /Magdennis/ JFK are fit and play maybe we can hope for a score draw 2-2.