Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Robinson out?

Comments

• Options

dizzee said:

Ideally I’d like SCP but if we can’t have him then I’ll take Robinson. He’s a twat but he’s our twat.

Honestly, even with a new takeover I would wait until the summer to let KR go, even if SCP was the next manager. Most of the players on the squad have no history with SCP and don't really care that we want him. It would be a mid-season transition that would take a while to adjust to and I don't wanna see him start out midseason. I would rather just play it out and make the fresh start for next season when he has a real transfer window and can revamp the squad in his image.
    If the players were busting a gut week in week out for KR, I could understand this argument, however, he clearly has no idea how to manage player fitness and is as flexible as a brick wall.

I'd get rid now and give someone the chance to evaluate the squad for a proper rebuid in the summer.
    JamesSeed said:

@Billericay Dickie Not sure Robinson was expecting Novak to walk out on the club just before the window closed. In fact we all know he wasn't.
    Liked Karl from day one. Went off him a little bit, finding him a little inflexible, as we all do. But if he keeps his job I'll be happy.
    Great effort tonight from the team. Jimmy Seed smiling again.

Then he should have done his job and said no. It was his choice to let Novak leave.
  • Options
    Has Karl ever 'bought' a player for Charlton or has every player he has signed for us either been a loan or a free transfer?

I wouldn't at all be disappointed if new owners keep him...he's definitely had a positive impact on the club following the mess he inherited.

Would be good to see if he can take us to the next step (promotion) with money.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

I disagreed with Parky's sacking.
    I disagreed with Powell's sacking.
    I'd disagree with Robinson's sacking too at this point.

I agreed with Parky's sacking.
    I disagreed with Powell's sacking.
    I'd agree with Robinson's sacking too at this point

You agreed with sacking a manager who had a club in the playoff positions for one that finished in our lowest ever league position?

Sure I may have changed my opinion on Parkinson's sacking the following season, but at the time of the sacking I disagreed with it.

Glad we agree on Powell, though he had us at the bottom of the table in March and our survival only delayed the inevitable under these loons.

You'd once again sack a manager in not the worst position possible, for an unknown quality as a replacement.
    At the end of the season when Parky helped get us relegated, coach then manager, at Bromley Addicks Richard Murray told us Parky was being sacked. I take that date as his sacking. Was i lied to?
    Yes, you was lied to. By 'a member of the board'
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

@Billericay Dickie Not sure Robinson was expecting Novak to walk out on the club just before the window closed. In fact we all know he wasn't.
    Liked Karl from day one. Went off him a little bit, finding him a little inflexible, as we all do. But if he keeps his job I'll be happy.

Novak didn't "walk out". The club allowed him to go to Scunthorpe.

Robinson thought Godden was coming in but it feel through last day.
  • Options

Has Karl ever 'bought' a player for Charlton or has every player he has signed for us either been a loan or a free transfer?

I wouldn't at all be disappointed if new owners keep him...he's definitely had a positive impact on the club following the mess he inherited.

JFC
    Page
    Clarke
    Fosu

All fees paid plus free transfers cost wages.

No, considering the regime sold Lookman for £8m he's not been able to splash that cash but neither is managing on a shoe string.
  • Options

Yes we paid fees for Fosu and Clarke.
  • Options
    I think my criticism of Robinson would be that he is very wedded to his style but to be successful it relies on a) you having the right players and b) they are on form. I think when we have our best team out and they are at their best we are the best footballing side in the division. But when we are not in this window for whatever reason it is a weakness to play in this way and we don't seem to be able to change tactics.

Why I would cut Robinson some slack on this is that some of the issues with the squad are more to do with other factors. At this stage of the season, Robinson will know what is holding us back and we are well placed with players like Fosu (who I believe is the best player in this division) and hopefully some additions to fill the gaps that are there and give us a plan B. If new owners come in and give Robinson just a little support, I think the play offs are likely. Of course the play offs are a lottery but it helps being the best team in them. It just makes sense at this point in the season to let him complete the job he started and see where it gets us when the season is finished.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Karl most certainly has the gift of the gab.
    Often bubbling and effervesing over in the exuberance of his own verbosity!
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I'm not his greatest fan but he has been the best of the succession of managers shown the revolving door under the regime after Powell and Riga in his first spell.

He knows how to appease both owner and fans but his persistence with his favoured formation without sufficient quality of depth in the squad has been his Achilles heel.

To be fair to him though he tweaked the tactics last night not that he had much choice with those available for selection and knows how to grind out away results. His problems have been in game changes of tactics and being able to turn dominating possession into goals mainly at home and this will be his downfall eventually IMO. And as for Novak what was the point of keeping the bloke if he then refused to play? Plus he wasn't on peanuts and his contact was cancelled by mutual consent so Daisy would have been delighted to improve the bottom line of the wages budget. The fact that Godden's transfer fell through last knockings was the fly in the ointment.

Takeovers for managers in situ usually result in the new broom sweeping clean and it won't surprise or overly concern me when this happens be it in January or the summer, that's football and there is better out there, so we move on.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Ben, it would be easy to say ‘Novak didn’t walk out’. You don’t need to use the double quotes. It implies you’re scoffing at my comments as you very well know, and I don’t appreciate that in this public forum thanks.

KR said Novak walked out at the last minute. I’m one to take him at his word. Of course the club could have stopped him. But it’s essy for a player to say, ‘you think I’m rubbish now? Make me stay, and I’ll show you what rubbish really looks like.’ You can’t keep people in the squad with that sort of an attitude.

But does it really matter? I still don’t get the sniping. Some are looking for any excuse to lay into him, and have been since he joined. Yes, he’s probably not the greatest manager in the world, but he’s helped turn thing round to some extent at Charlton, at the very least. I’ll settle for that right now. He shows a bit of passion st least.
    Football is a results based business, and he deserves the chance to get the results we need to get back into the playoff places.

Wow, back off. I know you rate Robinson but others are allowed vto disagree and to challenge his spin.

Novak didn't "walk out". He was allowed to go, freeing up his considerable wages, in the expectation that Godden was a done deal but it wasn't.

I'm sure Novak was happy to move back north but you have first accused him of "walking out" and then suggested he would have deliberately underperformed.

Who's doing the sniping here?

• Options
    Whatever happens with the takeover I would like to see Karl stay until the end of the season at least.

Hopefully, we can have some stability and some long term planning.
  • Options
    vff said:

I am not sure I getting all this latter day warmth for Robinson. He is an ordinary manager, with an extraordinary line of bollocks. Tactically, he is limited.

I find it possible to warm to Robinson if I ignore about 3/4 what he says or just don’t listen to any of his press statements. The last press conference is a good example. Some good stuff around the players spirit with some horseshit about Katrien Meire being in tears.

OK personally he may have had a friendly relationship with her by why not just say that & wish her well. The extra mile he goes to lather it on is unnecessary.

Meires tears were possibly because she will have to take a huge drop in salary to take a job within her capabilities.
  • Options

vff said:

I am not sure I getting all this latter day warmth for Robinson. He is an ordinary manager, with an extraordinary line of bollocks. Tactically, he is limited.

I find it possible to warm to Robinson if I ignore about 3/4 what he says or just don’t listen to any of his press statements. The last press conference is a good example. Some good stuff around the players spirit with some horseshit about Katrien Meire being in tears.

OK personally he may have had a friendly relationship with her by why not just say that & wish her well. The extra mile he goes to lather it on is unnecessary.

Meires tears were possibly because she will have to take a huge drop in salary to take a job within her capabilities.
    Nah it was having to move on from @cabbles not to mention Nabby :wink:
  • Options
    edited December 2017

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Ben, it would be easy to say ‘Novak didn’t walk out’. You don’t need to use the double quotes. It implies you’re scoffing at my comments as you very well know, and I don’t appreciate that in this public forum thanks.

KR said Novak walked out at the last minute. I’m one to take him at his word. Of course the club could have stopped him. But it’s essy for a player to say, ‘you think I’m rubbish now? Make me stay, and I’ll show you what rubbish really looks like.’ You can’t keep people in the squad with that sort of an attitude.

But does it really matter? I still don’t get the sniping. Some are looking for any excuse to lay into him, and have been since he joined. Yes, he’s probably not the greatest manager in the world, but he’s helped turn thing round to some extent at Charlton, at the very least. I’ll settle for that right now. He shows a bit of passion st least.
    Football is a results based business, and he deserves the chance to get the results we need to get back into the playoff places.

Wow, back off. I know you rate Robinson but others are allowed vto disagree and to challenge his spin.

Novak didn't "walk out". He was allowed to go, freeing up his considerable wages, in the expectation that Godden was a done deal but it wasn't.

I'm sure Novak was happy to move back north but you have first accused him of "walking out" and then suggested he would have deliberately underperformed.

Of course they are. Where have I said they aren’t?
    It’s an interesting debate, and I’m on record as criticising his inflexibility on here and Twitter.
    It’s the personal insults I don’t like. ‘Gobinson’, ‘Gobby’, ‘fat scouser’. I’m sure you know what I mean.
    Karl said Novak walked out. He didn’t want to be number two to Magennis.
    Players suggest they will underperform as a tactic when they want to leave a club as I’m sure you know.
    And when you say ‘back off’, are you saying I shouldn’t comment when I think you’re mocking?

[Yes I’ve only had 4 hrs sleep so perhaps over sensitive, but give me a break.
    And my interesting debate with Sue Parkes yesterday on SE7 Valiants has been deleted from Facebook, despite being perfectly polite and reasonable - as @cantersaddick will hopefully confirm!]
  • Options
    I think he has shown enough to be given a chance to show what he can do when properly backed. There is little risk of being relegated this season so it is worth a try surely.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2017
    No wins in the last 7 League games now. He won't go the longer the Rat is still here, but when the new owner takes over he/she may have other ideas and may believe with the squad at his disposal we should be doing better.

Personally 8th is not good enough after 24 games.
  • Options
    Unless the prospective buyers have their own man in place it would be best to have a steady ship until the end of the season.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

It’s an interesting debate, and I’m on record as criticising his inflexibility on here and Twitter.
    It’s the personal insults I don’t like. ‘Gobinson’, ‘Gobby’, ‘fat scouser’. I’m sure you know what I mean.
    Players suggest they will underperform as a tactic when they want to leave a club as I’m sure you know.
    And when you say ‘back off’, are you saying I shouldn’t comment when I think you’re mocking?

And my interesting debate with Sue Parkes yesterday on SE7 Valiants has been deleted from Facebook, despite being perfectly polite and reasonable - as @cantersaddick will hopefully confirm!]
    You said I was "scoffing at you" and that you "didn't appreciate the scoffing" so yes you were being oversensitive. I had done neither. You choose to make it personal.

What Karl, or any manager or player, says and what actually happens are not automatically the same thing. You've only heard one side of the story, from KR, and want to believe that. Fine but don't demand that others do the same.
  • Options
    I think that Robinson should be given longer to try to get us promoted. We need some solidity as a team and a Club. Robinson is not perfect, if he was he would be managing a club in the Premier League. I am sure he has our best interests. He has made us more professional behind the scenes. I do hope that the Takeover happens soon and the new owners give Robinson some money to have a tilt at the Play offs. Personally I can't see that happening, they will want to employ their own man.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I think that one of the main issues that KR has is that he's regarded as a regime choice, and anything regime related is going to struggle to fully win the hearts of the fanbase-and he has got some tarring off the same brush.
  • Options
    mogodon said:

I feel this is his level, at best, and while he can keep his head above water and can certainly talk for England, he has not got the experience or (as at now) ability to function above this league. More than anything, I think we need a fresh start once Duchatalet goes.

A regime change will make us attractive to candidates who would not touch us with a barge pole at the moment, and the new owners should have a much better range of managers to choose from, so why not strike while the irons hot.

This for me too.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

You said I was "scoffing at you" and that you "didn't appreciate the scoffing" so yes you were being oversensitive. I had done neither. You choose to make it personal.

What Karl, or any manager or player, says and what actually happens are not automatically the same thing. You've only heard one side of the story, from KR, and want to believe that. Fine but don't demand that others do the same.
    I really wasn’t.
    I was expressing a view.
    Feel I’d better take a break from here.
    Looking forward to Monday.