Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options

The fact that Barnsley can be bought by a rich Chinese consortium is further proof that potential buyers are out there.
    But they are not fools and the fact that they would rather buy Barnsley than a London club with a great stadium ( Charlton) is further proof that Douchbag is asking way over and above what we are worth.
    Other clubs will probably benefit from a similar takeover while we just carry on running up dept and going nowhere until old yellow teeth wakes up to reality and asks for a reasonable price.

Just sell the club

You know the rest.

And by the time a takeover actually happens even if we did end up with Chinese Billionaires ourselves there are still plenty of other clubs being taken over to compete with if they splash the cash of course - you only have to look at Wolves. Most teams in the Championship have either wealthy backers or a wealth of TV parachute payments I fear by the time a takeover actually happens unless someone has game changing plans for us it's still going to take heavy investment if we're to ever get back to the Premier League.
    Right now I would settle for the championship.
    Any thing else is a bonus
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Napa and Doucher make my day, two of the most narrow minded people I've ever (kind of) met. I would love to be able to stick to an argument directly contradicting every fact.

It would be pretty dull on hear if everyone just agreed with each other. They are offering different ways of looking at things, though many would disagree with them, it does not make them narrow minded.
  • Options
    Shrew said:

Napa and Doucher make my day, two of the most narrow minded people I've ever (kind of) met. I would love to be able to stick to an argument directly contradicting every fact.

It would be pretty dull on hear if everyone just agreed with each other. They are offering different ways of looking at things, though many would disagree with them, it does not make them narrow minded.
    Agreed but beating a dead horse and all that...
  • Options

Moneyball is misunderstood.

Basically it comes down to...

1. Not basing personell choices on emotion, but rather some kind of data. In other words, evidence over feeling.

2. Making the best use of money available by buying young players with upside and selling older players when they reach an age of probably decline and then, this is key... reinvesting.

3. Stop believing in football myths. These would include "playing attractive football" instead focus on maximising points per match. Also, stop buying stars and start by replacing your worst player. Also, pass to another player instead of kicking to goal on corner kicks.

4. Don't give a new manager control over a transfer budget. Stats show they make poor decisions with money because all they care about is the very short term and clubs should be run for the long term.

That kind of thing.

Charlton has NOT tried Moneyball. They tried the Watford model. The closest thing to Moneyball is Southampton. Overall, it has worked quite well for them. Many, including myself, consider them the best run club in England the last decade.

Im pretty sure Driessen’s whole job was to sit in front of a screen and find cheap players who the numbers said would work out, it doesn’t work. Simple.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He still has Trump as his Commander in Chief though.
  • Options

After. That was 8 season ago and the Moneyball began in 2010 with a new owner. And not joking. Educate yourself. Google search "best run club Southampton" and you will see it is not just my opinion.

Just educated myself - they haven’t used moneyball, perhaps you should get to some games and stop reading about football, best run club? Pfffft
  • Options

1. Not basing personell choices on emotion, but rather some kind of data. In other words, evidence over feeling.

2. Making the best use of money available by buying young players with upside and selling older players when they reach an age of probably decline and then, this is key... reinvesting.

3. Stop believing in football myths. These would include "playing attractive football" instead focus on maximising points per match. Also, stop buying stars and start by replacing your worst player. Also, pass to another player instead of kicking to goal on corner kicks.

4. Don't give a new manager control over a transfer budget. Stats show they make poor decisions with money because all they care about is the very short term and clubs should be run for the long term.

That kind of thing.

Charlton has NOT tried Moneyball. They tried the Watford model. The closest thing to Moneyball is Southampton. Overall, it has worked quite well for them. Many, including myself, consider them the best run club in England the last decade.

Southampton have not used moneyball. There are some overlaps but some huge differences.

I have read a lot about how they are run and Led Reed's role in it. I dream of creating a similar setup at Charlton.

Yes they use data very heavily and Les has his black box room or whatever they call it. However, the data is used in a very different way to moneyball. At Soton the scouting comes first and is the most detailed around. The analysis and data is used to back it up. What's special about Soton is how they bring the analysis the data the scouting the system all together.

Their system is built on contingency planning. They are realistic about their place in modern football they accept they will lose players so they have a list of 5+ getable targets for every position on and off the pitch from striker to manager to analyst to physio.

They have a philosophy and system in their club ethos. They recruit managers and players that fit them and their way of doing things.

They recognise experience is important and try and get a mix of youths experience. They certainly don't actively sell old players and replace with younger.
    Yeah but does this black box room have a laptop with Football Manager on it?
  • Options
    Still no word from @Airman Brown or @Redhenry :(
  • Options

Probably just nothing to say, might not have any update.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

@Airman Brown if you are going for a big expose in the VotV how do i get my hands on one in NZ?
  • Options
    If this takeover ever happens and I stress the if -then you just know it will be to someone who is barely any better or richer than the current plankton. Barnsley being taken over by billionaires ffs....... You can't make this shit up.
  • Options

I genuinely hate what football has become

Non-League is the way forward.
  • Options

Non-League is the way forward.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

It's almost all about money now. Leicester was a blip. Bloody depressing.
    Indeed they were a blip. I think they were actually just random luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

That kind of thing.

Southampton have not used moneyball. There are some overlaps but some huge differences.

I have read a lot about how they are run and Led Reed's role in it. I dream of creating a similar setup at Charlton.

Yes they use data very heavily and Les has his black box room or whatever they call it. However, the data is used in a very different way to moneyball. At Soton the scouting comes first and is the most detailed around. The analysis and data is used to back it up. What's special about Soton is how they bring the analysis the data the scouting the system all together.

Their system is built on contingency planning. They are realistic about their place in modern football they accept they will lose players so they have a list of 5+ getable targets for every position on and off the pitch from striker to manager to analyst to physio.

They have a philosophy and system in their club ethos. They recruit managers and players that fit them and their way of doing things.

They recognise experience is important and try and get a mix of youths experience. They certainly don't actively sell old players and replace with younger.
    I believe it really is moneyball, in terms of spirit. As I said, Moneyball is misunderstood. It is NOT about trying to come up with a formula to run players on the field by numbers. It is using large scale data to put the ODDS in your favor. Even Billy Beane does not believe a number can be created to quantify football players like WAR and OPS does in baseball. He has said so, repeatedly.

Reed brings em in young and sells them at higher values. That is the core of moneyball, right there. He thinks of players and the academy like "return on investment," which is really what moneyball IS. Not in dollars only, but in points per match. He is very data driven, more about rules to operate the club by, than specific stats for players. But it really is the closest thing to moneyball. Or, actually, Soccernomics, which is the offshoot of moneyball. "Contingency planning," having a Sporting Director above the manager (Beane is above Oakland's manager,) and not allowing the manager to run player personnel decisions... pure Moneyball.

I agree with you, I also dream of that setup at Charlton. Why? Because Southampton know how to run a club of mid-size better than anyone, anywhere, imho. And I want to emulate that. It sure beats what we have.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!