Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Inbetweeners

Comments

• Options

The US Office worked well because it took the UK version as a guide but didn't copy it. The US office is less "real" (knobs like Gareth exist in every office, evil geniuses like Dwitght don't for instance). The problem occurs when they try and copy the whole thing lock stock and barrel.

Why can't they just show the British version in America instead of remaking ?

Because they wouldn't get the humour, Americans need everything dumbed down.
    HBO dramas aren't dumbed down...
  • Options
    edited May 2017

The US Office worked well because it took the UK version as a guide but didn't copy it. The US office is less "real" (knobs like Gareth exist in every office, evil geniuses like Dwitght don't for instance). The problem occurs when they try and copy the whole thing lock stock and barrel.

Why can't they just show the British version in America instead of remaking ?

Because they wouldn't get the humour, Americans need everything dumbed down.
    HBO dramas aren't dumbed down...

Veep is very Armando Iannucci, and it's brilliant (to pick up on a conversation from five years ago).

I tried watching the first couple episodes of "Silicon Valley" but had to stop because it hit too close to home-reminded me too much of people I went to with and people I've had to deal with in tech down the years. But that's also of that very clever, deadpan style.

I think to call it "dumbing things down" is harsh. It's just that really dry humor doesn't always catch here. There are very much exceptions though, Veep being a great example, Arrested Development (the first three series) is absolutely brilliant.

I also had to stop watching Inbetweeners because it brought back awful memories of being an incredibly awkward 15 year-old. The first series or two are excellent though.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Watched the whole series, very funny in places. I don't think I'll ever look at my NI No. in the same way.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how old they all are but I think they are all in their 30s.
    Brilliant acting trying to look so much younger.
  • Options

I'm not sure how old they all are but I think they are all in their 30s.
    Brilliant acting trying to look so much younger.

Thought one of them is in his 40s.
  • Options
    I miss 2009.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Holy moly!!! Lucky Mr Gilbert
  • Options
    Blake Harrison lives round the corner from me in Bexleyheath
    It’s not too far from Eltham 🤔
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    I miss Wills mum.

I don’t. I hit her every time.  Boom boom 
  • Options
    He’s a nice fella. Down to earth and funny. 

Most of the episodes were based on real experiences of the writers.for example Football Friend actually happened.  As did French exchange student even the girl wanking him off at the disco was a memory and not made up. 
  • Options

Most of the episodes were based on real experiences of the writers.for example Football Friend actually happened.  As did French exchange student even the girl wanking him off at the disco was a memory and not made up. 
    The writers were from Dartford (well, one of them was) he was school friends with a previous poster on here.
    The motorbike up the wall scene was filmed at the now closed EC Bates on West Hill in Dartford (this may have already been posted on this thread, but I can’t be arsed to troll through them all)
  • Options
    DA9 said:

The writers were from Dartford (well, one of them was) he was school friends with a previous poster on here.
    The motorbike up the wall scene was filmed at the now closed EC Bates on West Hill in Dartford (this may have already been posted on this thread, but I can’t be arsed to troll through them all)
    One of them lived in New Barn and went to Longfield Comprehensive (as did I, but they were a few years below me) - correct re EC Bate - also the scene where Jay loses the dog is Central Park, Dartford - the scene where Simon gets his knob out at the caravan site in front of the girl was based on an incident that happened in the woods near New Barn - when they bunk of school and Will dresses as a man to buy booze from an off licence happened in Longfield
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9/Flash. I know. The Chap in question is/was a mate of mine. I was at a few of the things he wrote about. My eldest was an extra in the first film and we spent a day on set. It was such a nice touch, he got the 4 lads to send her a signed birthday card inviting her to set and they really looked after her.

he also name checks my wife in an episode of White Gold 😂
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    DA9/Flash. I know. The Chap in question is/was a mate of mine. I was at a few of the things he wrote about. My eldest was an extra in the first film and we spent a day on set. It was such a nice touch, he got the 4 lads to send her a signed birthday card inviting her to set and they really looked after her.

White Gold is a brilliant TV series - surprised there wasn’t a 3rd series to be honest
  • Options

White Gold is a brilliant TV series - surprised there wasn’t a 3rd series to be honest
    Ed Westwick got accused of rape (never went to court), that seemed to put the kybosh on it. 
  • Options
    DA9 said:

One of them lived in New Barn and went to Longfield Comprehensive (as did I, but they were a few years below me) - correct re EC Bate - also the scene where Jay loses the dog is Central Park, Dartford - the scene where Simon gets his knob out at the caravan site in front of the girl was based on an incident that happened in the woods near New Barn - when they bunk of school and Will dresses as a man to buy booze from an off licence happened in Longfield
    Another Longfield (Axton Chase) attendee here. 🙋🏻‍♂️ 
  • Options
    Rylo said:
    DA9 said:

You were after me then - when I was there it was called ‘The Longfield School’ - I left in 1986
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Rylo said:
    DA9 said:

You were after me then - when I was there it was called ‘The Longfield School’ - I left in 1986
    We moved to New Barn in the same year that you left school. I was four years old! 
  • Options
    Rylo said:
    Rylo said:
    DA9 said:

We moved to New Barn in the same year that you left school. I was four years old! 
    Thanks for that - now I feel even older

I used to live in Starling Close in New Barn - moved to New Ash Green in 1984
  • Options
    Rylo said:
    Rylo said:
    DA9 said:

Thanks for that - now I feel even older

I used to live in Starling Close in New Barn - moved to New Ash Green in 1984
    Know it well. Had friends in that road and my parents still live just around the corner. Loads of friends in NAG. 
    Very proud of the Inbetweeners link! 
  • Options
    £18 million and he lives in Bexleyheath? That must be the epitome of down to earth.
  • Options
    Yeah my mum sold him his house