Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nico Rosberg: World champion retires from Formula 1

Comments

• Options
    Well that's weird.
  • Options

Knows he can't beat Lewis again so going out at the top?

Going out on top. Fair play to him really. He knows he won't beat a determined Lewis Hamilton next season.

Still a very strange decision!
  • Options
    Let's be honest he has achieved everything he wanted to achieve, Lahm did similar after the world cup.

Wehrlein stepping up to Mercedes?
  • Options
    It's still quite a dangerous sport. He's made plenty of money, he's a champion - get out while the going's good?
  • Options
    Probably sticking two fingers up at Lewis and not giving him the chance to beat him next year. Knows he's unlikely to get so lucky two seasons in a row. Clearly a great driver but with everything being equal he's second best in the best team.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    He is world champion, he can never be the best or be better than Hamilton - unlikely he will win it again. Has a family - has millions - why does he need Hamilton thrashing him next year? Why does he need to risk his health? Logical decision.

Hamilton probably the most disapointed I would imagine- a lot of young hungry drivers might be keen on his vacated seat.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Said on the other thread:

Rumours at coming to me from Sky Sports F1 contacts (I work in the media and sports industry )that something BIG has happened at Mercedes in relation to the unrest with Hamilton and his blown engines. Lewis threatened to bring in legal support versus the team and Rosberg.

And Rosberg bows out.

Think something dodgy has gone on here
  • Options
    He didn't fit in the team because he had a personality and wasn't arrogant enough for them.
  • Options

He is world champion, he can never be the best or be better than Hamilton - unlikely he will win it again. Has a family - has millions - why does he need Hamilton thrashing him next year? Why does he need to risk his health? Logical decision.

Hamilton probably the most disapointed I would imagine- a lot of young hungry drivers might be keen on his vacated seat.

Verstappen? (Sp?)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good for him.

Has a 1 year old child at home and probably doesn't want to spend months away travelling and testing on the car. Add in the danger of the sport and makes it a no brainer.

People that think Hamilton came into the decision are well off the mark.
  • Options
    Seems like I'm the only one who feels like this is a massive cop out.
  • Options
    Splitter.
  • Options

Rumours at coming to me from Sky Sports F1 contacts (I work in the media and sports industry )that something BIG has happened at Mercedes in relation to the unrest with Hamilton and his blown engines. Lewis threatened to bring in legal support versus the team and Rosberg.

And Rosberg bows out.

Hamilton wanted to quit after Spanish GP as he's a big fat fucking baby, I think you'll find ;-)
  • Options
    His ex team nobbled Hamiltons car and he knows it going to come out.
  • Options
    Cant see Verstappen being released but Alonso maybe...
  • Options
    Knows he can't do it again, not got the balls to even try. Bottle Job.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

**Message will self destruct in 10 mins.
  • Options
    Glovepup said:

If he ''knows'' he can't do it, why should he try? If he thought he might manage it but doesn't want to try, that would be bottling it.
  • Options
    Amazing - lot of respect for him - he'll be back , look at Schumi, Raikonnen etc they all come back because they miss the buzz
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

And Rosberg bows out.

good to see Lewis taking the defeat like a man
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Cant see Verstappen being released but Alonso maybe...

Not sure Verstappen would want to be released either - supposedly Red Bull are leading the way with their development of a car for next season's rule changes.

As you say, I'm sure Alonso's people have already been on the blower though.

Would be great to see him in a genuinely competetive car again and to see the two best drivers on the grid in the same car.

My prediction, Alonso to Merc, & Button cancels his retirement and does another season at McLaren. By all accounts Alonso only ended up at McLaren because he failed in an attempt to switch from Ferrari to Mercedes.

Vettel would be another possibility - him and Ferrari don't seem to be getting along and I'm sure Mercedes management wouldn't mind having another German driver.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    thenewbie said:

Glovepup said:

If he ''knows'' he can't do it, why should he try? If he thought he might manage it but doesn't want to try, that would be bottling it.
    He should try because people doubt him, myself included. Prove me and others wrong, letting the fans and sport down in my opinion.
  • Options
    Hulkenburg must be pissed off he's signed with Renault, he'd have been a shoe-in for the drive.
  • Options
    bbob said:

And Rosberg bows out.

• Options
    WSS said:

bbob said:

And Rosberg bows out.

Took him 3 days and what he puts on Twitter doesn't correspond to how he really feels
  • Options
    A massive decision for Mercedes now. Stick in their reserve driver or a rookie, and buy a top driver out of his contract elsewhere
  • Options
    That was a big surprise!!
    (1) Verstappen (if Red Bull will release him),
    (2) Vettel (another German in a German team and disillusioned by Ferrari),
    (3) Alonso (still one of the best and disillusioned by McLaren).
    (4) Wehrlein (another German but inexperienced - riskier).
    Whatever happens could start a nice driver merry-go-round!
  • Options
    You forget VanDoorne - future World Champ.