Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bolton | Sat 27 Aug | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Bolton Wanderers
Saturday 27th August 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Dean Whitestone

Introduction

After being on the road last weekend, the Addicks returned home to South East London with three points after an impressive victory against Walsall. Nicky Ajose finally opened his account since joining from Swindon and Ricky Holmes once again continued to show that the Player of the Year award could already be over for this season with yet another impressive performance. In transfer news; Tareiq Holmes-Dennis left the club for Huddersfield Town and with just a week to go until the closing of the Transfer Window, you’d hope he is the last of our players to leave this summer.

This weekend sees Football return to the Valley… If last Saturday was one of our hardest away games of the season then apart from obvious derbies, this is without doubt our hardest home fixture of the season. Prior to a ball being kicked in anger, two teams relegated from the Championship last season were equally tipped to bounce back with promotion. Our opponents: Bolton Wanderers have made the better start winning all their games yet just like ourselves; this’ll be one of their biggest tests of the season… Let battle commence!!

The Opposition
Name: Bolton Wanderers | Manager: Phil Parkinson
Stadium: Macron Stadium | Position: 1st

Quite bluntly Bolton were always a shoe in for relegation from the Championship last season. In financial difficulty since their relegation from the Premier League, those problems became greater when long term backer: Phil Gartside died in February, players weren’t being paid and the future of Bolton (one of the Football League’s founder clubs) looked bleak. Of course a club like Bolton were always going to be saved and under a consortium led by ex-player: Dean Holdsworth, it’s time for a new era for this Lancashire club.

As already mentioned: Bolton currently occupy top spot, yet their summer hasn’t been much different to our own… The main focus point had to be the Manager and like us, Bolton have brought in not just a man who knows League One but also knows the Valley in Phil Parkinson…

Whilst we’ve been moaning about a lack of money being spent, Bolton have spent no money with all signings coming in on a Free Transfer including Lewis Buxton who had a trial at Sparrows Lane this summer and Chris Taylor a tricky winger who has had successful spells at the Valley whilst representing Blackburn Rovers and Millwall… The difference between the two sides is that only one player has been sold to balance the books (Rob Holding to Arsenal), a lot of dead wood has been moved on as Contracts have expired

Overall the core of the Bolton side has remained together, they’ve kept a lot of their key players from the Championship and have not been forced to rebuild… Yes both Charlton and Bolton are expected to achieve promotion straight back to the 2nd tier, yet on paper (thankfully Football usually laughs at paper and stats)… Bolton have the edge.

Charlton Team News
Doing a lot of repeating myself here this preview yet as already mentioned: Tareiq Holmes-Dennis (who has been appearing on the bench) has gone meaning that there is space on the bench for someone to come into the squad, with Harry Lennon making his return from injury for the U23s earlier this week, he’d be the obvious choice yet having missed the majority of pre-season is he fit enough to be called upon if god forbid anything happens to Morgan Fox?

Rudd
Solly … Konsa … Pearce … Fox
Foley … Crofts … Jackson … Holmes
Magennis … Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Phillips … Bauer … Lennon … Johnson … Botaka … Hanlan … Lookman

Prediction
I won’t lie, three points against Walsall last Saturday was not what I expected and if we can replicate that this Saturday then it’ll be a huge statement to issue to the rest of the Division (especially after a poor start against Bury)… Bolton themselves aren’t going to go the whole season without losing yet I do believe that they’ll lose their 100% record this weekend, yet believe a draw is more likely.

Comments

• Options
    Bolton look in good form, Parky has clearly got them playing well. Would certainly take a draw.
  • Options
    Like a one legged man at an arse kicking contest i predict a return to form and doom and gloom from the Addicks...

0-1 to Notlob

Early headed goal from a set piece after a defensive lapse and then 80 minutes of a vain struggle to gain parity hindered by individual poor form and lack of tactical nouse.
  • Options
    There is no way perky Parky will allow Bolton to lose at the Valley. He is far too proud.

Wish I could be there to see his v-neck live again.

The misery of his tenure while in League 1 now feels like a golden era.

0.1 and back to mid table obscurity.

• Options
    3-0 Bolton. Parky wears a new v-neck.
  • Options
    Novak on the bench rather than Hanlan?
  • Options
    1-3 to the team with the 100% record.

Breaking news...........
    a Louis Mendez scoop.

Q. What did you think of GB Winning 27 Gold Medals Roland,
    and winning a record breaking 67 medals.

A. It's not about the winning of Medals but how much you can sell your young athletes for afterwards.
  • Options
    Peter_G said:

Well he was missing against Walsall... Hence why I left Hanlan in there
  • Options
    Score draw, i don't think we will lose and cant see us winning either.
  • Options
    Think we'll lose this, not by much though. 1-2
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Peter_G said:

Peter_G said:

Rather than Johnson, please. Can't see why we'd have three centre backs on the bench.
  • Options
    Lennon's a left back now, didn't you get the memo?
  • Options
    2-1 to Charlton I hope
  • Options
    1-1 draw which is great for no one really - protesters confused about whether to start protesting in stadium after august ban lifted
    2-1 win - protesters secretly gutted, promotion looking a real possibility
    0-1 defeat - protesters loving it and gearing up for in stadium antics
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

I remember when we made an absolutely scintillating start to Curbs' last season - won our first 4 or 5 away games and returned to The Valley to face Bolton off the back of a superb penalty shoot-out victory at Stamford Bridge over Mourinho's Chelsea (his first domestic home defeat).

With the momentum we had going into that game I felt we'd be a match for anyone, but Bolton were the worst team we could possibly have faced as they turned it into a boring war of attrition and nicked it with a late goal. That knocked our confidence completely and we didn't win again for a fair while after that. Then Curbs left, that ugly bloke turned up and we've been on a decade long suicide mission ever since.

So basically it's Bolton Wanderers' fault that we're stuck in the third tier with a mad owner, a clueless simpleton for a CEO and an empty stadium. At least they've got their comeuppance as well, so we'll be able to exchange sad glances between the sparsely populated away end the sparsely populated home areas and collectively wonder what the bulk of the 26,175 crowd who turned up 29 October 2005 are doing with their Saturday afternoons these days.

Decent performances in the last two games but we give away far too many chances, Charlton 1 - 2 Bolton.

It's Community Day on Saturday, so presumably that poisonous witch will be parading herself around the car park, smiling at small children and attempting to take the credit for other people's hard work.

Classic post as always (that crying with laughter emoji would be here now if I knew how to do it)
  • Options

Is Mr Slade doing a press conference today?
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI5SQqBEo-w&feature=youtu.be

Haven't watched it, can't really be bothered.

Given Novak was left out with a hand injury, I'm guessing it hasn't been healing at all because of the light case he's had on it. I'd expect him to miss out tomorrow and then get the next two week to recover (though i hope he's doing intensive fitness work as having a broken hand shouldn't prevent that).

I think this will be where our string of good results ends and where we're reminded just how pedestrian our midfield is. Bolton have kept a good chunk of their team from last year, which obviously wasn't brilliant, but there are some very decent players at this level there (Spearing, Vela, Wheater, Moxey, Trotter, Mark Davies, etc.). I think we'll really, really struggle to break them down and they'll catch us on the break or from a set piece.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bolton have so managed to keep hold of their best young players Vela and Clough, though the latter went off with an injury last Saturday so hopefully will still be missing.

Lawrie Wilson was on the bench for them last Saturday

More shockingly, what's happened to the Parky V neck, he's had a makeover!

• Options
    Yeah that's right Clough is still there. I keep thinking he left them in January. Really hope he's injured for tomorrow, I remember we were linked with him in January and I thought it'd have been a very shrewd move (far better than the lad from Rotherham we bid 1m+ for). What an odd thing to keep hold of your young talented.
  • Options
    Thanks, SDAddick.

He said that Lee Novak is the main injury concern, though a week's break helps those with niggles.
    Made a point of saying that we had a 'smallish' squad, without mentioning THD or prospective new signings.

Looks like Dillon Phillips is pencilled in for his 1st team debut in the Chubby Checker game v Southampton next week.

• Options
    Does anyone have any tickets going spare? Will happily pay going rate or make donation to CARD. Need 2 ideally.
  • Options
    We'll get beat, then 4 or 5 days later the club will realise we don't have a midfield or cover throughout the squad, and - no one can accuse them of wasting time - plans for january will kick into action immediately. Fraeye will be on the first plane over from Lommel, and the chief scout will be deployed to India to search for unattached dickheads...
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Thanks, SDAddick.

He said that Lee Novak is the main injury concern, though a week's break helps those with niggles.
    Made a point of saying that we had a 'smallish' squad, without mentioning THD or prospective new signings.

Looks like Dillon Phillips is pencilled in for his 1st team debut in the Chubby Checker game v Southampton next week.

Thank you for doing the summary. I forgot we had Southampton in the in no way pointless trophy on Tuesday, I thought after today we were off until after the international break. Given that Mcgennis won't be there on Tuesday, I wonder if he'll rest Novak tomorrow because he'll need him at least on the bench against Southampton. It's not ideal but I remember that before the Bury game when Novak had a scan it apparently hadn't healed at all, so hopefully at some point he will get the time away to rest it so that it heals and he isn't playing with a broken wrist all season.
  • Options
    Reckon we'll win this.
    2-0
  • Options

Charlton go nuts at Bolton.
    3-0

More like Bolton go nuts at Charlton.

• Options
    2-1 Ajose brace