Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grouse shooting

Comments

• Options
    Considered post in no way written to get a reaction.

:wink:
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Probably be better to shoot some peasants.
    Gotta wait until after Brexit for that.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    A very, very interesting read on hunting. And as someone who never quite understood how it worked (being from Lee!), an eye-opener:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/c92qtr/85_of_the_british_public_are_opposed_to_repealing/estw1vf/?context=3

I come from a farming family that has existed near Fort William for hundreds of years.

When you need to kill a fox, you get out the rifle or the shotgun and you shoot it dead, and then you feel like a compete shit for the rest of the week.

What you don't do is get dressed up in some stupid outfit and tally-ho your way across private land while bellowing about your right to trespass and chasing some poor fucking thing to the brink of a heart attack before seeing it disembowelled by trained predatory hounds, then all go to the pub for a nice lunch and a few drinks.

Predators must be killed sometimes. This is to be done with a sense of seriousness and sobriety. It isn't a fucking game. I have shot a fox and then had to shoot it again because it was trying to limp away, and if there's one thing you never, ever do, it's let a wounded animal crawl away to a slow and agonising death if you can possible help it.I've known stalkers who have accidentally winged an elderly stag and spent the next 24 hours tracing it to put it out of its misery. This is right and proper.

Things have to die sometimes. It's not nice. It's certainly not fun. And it sure as hell is not a fucking game for idiots to play while dressed up in stupid outfits.

Culling is a sad necessity, to be conducted with the correct mentality of regret. Fox hunting is a vile practice undertaken by witless sadists. And if you want to argue with that, you can do it with me, because I know damn well what a farm is because I was born in one in 1980 and one day my father will die and I'll inherit it. And at no point will I allow some jumped-up idiots to rampage across it in pursuit of something that is simply there to feed itself.

And that, by the way, is if it was even there in the first place. You know what 'hunts' do? And this is a matter of record, by the way. They import foxes from other parts of the country and set them loose specifically to hunt them down with their stupid uniforms and their mutated weirdo hounds. They do this.

You talk about people who have "never lived close to a farm". I would ask you to explain why a hunt is necessary to control the numbers of foxes. From the smallest rodent to the largest animal in the country, if you take a life you take it for a good reason and you take it with no sense of satisfaction and no sense of joy, because that is cruelty, pure and simple. If you must hunt, then you must hunt. If you call yourself a hunter then you do it for a bloody good reason, and that reason is not "because it's fun". It's not fun. It's grim. Deny it.

This has nothing to do with grouse shooting

Or General Charlton  ;)

Mind, I suppose we did once have Fox in the team.
    And a Hunt.
    And a striker that used to shoot pigeons.
    Okay, as you were.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    A very, very interesting read on hunting. And as someone who never quite understood how it worked (being from Lee!), an eye-opener:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/c92qtr/85_of_the_british_public_are_opposed_to_repealing/estw1vf/?context=3

I come from a farming family that has existed near Fort William for hundreds of years.

When you need to kill a fox, you get out the rifle or the shotgun and you shoot it dead, and then you feel like a compete shit for the rest of the week.

What you don't do is get dressed up in some stupid outfit and tally-ho your way across private land while bellowing about your right to trespass and chasing some poor fucking thing to the brink of a heart attack before seeing it disembowelled by trained predatory hounds, then all go to the pub for a nice lunch and a few drinks.

Predators must be killed sometimes. This is to be done with a sense of seriousness and sobriety. It isn't a fucking game. I have shot a fox and then had to shoot it again because it was trying to limp away, and if there's one thing you never, ever do, it's let a wounded animal crawl away to a slow and agonising death if you can possible help it.I've known stalkers who have accidentally winged an elderly stag and spent the next 24 hours tracing it to put it out of its misery. This is right and proper.

Things have to die sometimes. It's not nice. It's certainly not fun. And it sure as hell is not a fucking game for idiots to play while dressed up in stupid outfits.

Culling is a sad necessity, to be conducted with the correct mentality of regret. Fox hunting is a vile practice undertaken by witless sadists. And if you want to argue with that, you can do it with me, because I know damn well what a farm is because I was born in one in 1980 and one day my father will die and I'll inherit it. And at no point will I allow some jumped-up idiots to rampage across it in pursuit of something that is simply there to feed itself.

And that, by the way, is if it was even there in the first place. You know what 'hunts' do? And this is a matter of record, by the way. They import foxes from other parts of the country and set them loose specifically to hunt them down with their stupid uniforms and their mutated weirdo hounds. They do this.

You talk about people who have "never lived close to a farm". I would ask you to explain why a hunt is necessary to control the numbers of foxes. From the smallest rodent to the largest animal in the country, if you take a life you take it for a good reason and you take it with no sense of satisfaction and no sense of joy, because that is cruelty, pure and simple. If you must hunt, then you must hunt. If you call yourself a hunter then you do it for a bloody good reason, and that reason is not "because it's fun". It's not fun. It's grim. Deny it.

Be that as it may, I thought it might be worth opening up the wider conversation and offer a more sane/holistic perspective on why guns in the countryside exist.

It's a decent enough read, anyway.
  • Options
    I love grouse shooting day , the way you get a little cluster of feathers flying when you hit them sweet then the little squak as they accept the pellet into their lungs 

it’s an aphrodisiac 
    My first serious question for years NLA.

Do you feel the same about Fox hunting  that its fun ?  Culling for certain reasons is acceptable but getting a semi whilst shouting Tally ho !

A pheasant farm is down the lanes from me and many pheasant who were reared to be shot tried to escape but because of their lack of understanding of the green cross code get run over.

Devil or the deep blue sea.

Shit to be born a grouse or pheasant.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Fans on inner London football club tell country folk what to do, while their yoot are getting jibbed and shot on an hourly basis 
  • Options
    Not my cup of tea at all, but at least the grouse get eaten, unlike other forms of hunting. 
  • Options
    id rather shoot Guardian readers 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I love grouse shooting day , the way you get a little cluster of feathers flying when you hit them sweet then the little squak as they accept the pellet into their lungs 

it’s an aphrodisiac 

Do you feel the same about Fox hunting  that its fun ?  Culling for certain reasons is acceptable but getting a semi whilst shouting Tally ho !

A pheasant farm is down the lanes from me and many pheasant who were reared to be shot tried to escape but because of their lack of understanding of the green cross code get run over.

Think we should fox hunt I see nothing wrong with it centuries of tradition 

Rabbits,  grouse,  pheasant,  deer all fair game and  acceptable as long as the hunting is for food purposes or culling the weaker one from herds 

• Options
    Stig said:
    News agent from Grove Park pretending he knows more about the countryside than us Home Counties types :wink:
    You'd have to tell me where I done that mate, coz i can't remember writing it. 
  • Options
    ....although, you are right. I do 😙
  • Options
    General Charlton? 
    Get this shit off the main site.
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    General Charlton? 
    Get this shit off the main site.
    Should be on the Groups section mate. It's been quite nice having virtually the whole top half of the first page about football and Charlton, what with the transfers and the start of season.
  • Options
    Last post
  • Options
    edited August 2019

it’s an aphrodisiac 

Rabbits,  grouse,  pheasant,  deer all fair game and  acceptable as long as the hunting is for food purposes or culling the weaker one from herds 

Centuries of Tradition

Oh well, that makes it ok then!
  • Options
    I've moved to 'not sports related'. Ideally it would be in House of Commoners section, I think. But if there's any easy way of doing that, I don't know it.
  • Options

it’s an aphrodisiac 

Centuries of Tradition

It makes it okay for you not to agree with it, but not for you to want to ban it. One can't just ban everything one doesn't like or agree with, unfortunately, then move on to the next thing ones doesn't like, otherwise there'd be nothing left, at all
  • Options
    Why the fuck did I open this thread? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It does seem that this thread has caused a lot of grousing...
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Considered post in no way written to get a reaction.

:wink:
    Pot and teapot ?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I've moved to 'not sports related'. Ideally it would be in House of Commoners section, I think. But if there's any easy way of doing that, I don't know it.
    I'll look into it
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Chizz said:
    PaddyP17 said:

Be that as it may, I thought it might be worth opening up the wider conversation and offer a more sane/holistic perspective on why guns in the countryside exist.

It's a decent enough read, anyway.
    A great read indeed. I once went out with my brother in law to help cull some foxes that were killing chickens at a local chicken farm... Yes, it makes you feel shit. No, I haven't been again. I don't see why this grouse hunt (or Fox hunting) have to be so celebrated? 
  • Options
    The only way would be to start a new topic in the Group section, then link it from here, and close this one.

Not that I want this thread banned of coarse, just to prove that, when the borg says he'll look into it, the borg looks into it
  • Options
    I don't remotely understand the attraction of shooting at dumb animals.  Even if the intention is to eat the prey, nobody shooting grouse this season is doing so for reasons of subsistence.  Food without metal balls in it is always preferable.  Using big powerful firearms to slay slow moving fauna, swept towards one by underlings, is a psychoanalyst's wetdream, the symbolism is as simplistic as it is powerful.
    The persecution of indigenous and endangered wildlife to supposedly protect this industry is criminal, vicious and dishonest.  The claims of environmental protection by the shooting industry are flat out lies.
    It is ludicrously straightforward to raise grouse chicks to flying size and condition, without them needing to see expansive moorland before their day of destiny.  They need not be exposed to predation by hen harriers, crows, foxes or anything else.  They're only going to be scared up into the firing line of tweed bedecked hoorays anyway.
    The countryside industry perpetuates the same sorts of smug falsehood on all of this, as they do about hunting with hounds being a sensible and effective means of fox control.
    If people want to shoot at animals farmed and raised for the purpose, I think it's ugly and stupid but not really criminal. Same goes for chasing across the coutryside on horseback in silly outfits with dogs for company, so long as no dumb animals get ripped to shreds at the end, where's the issue?  For that industry to begin to pretend it is anything other than leisure for the privileged is cynical balderdash.  Their methods are loathsome, wicked and should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
    Today's policy soundbite by Corbin's labour party is a heinously, envious, cynical bit of parasitology on a valid cause.  They don't really give a flying fornication about grouse, quail, partridge or foxes they're just up for riding the coattails of the concerned and sneering at the poshos.  Scumbags all.
  • Options

it’s an aphrodisiac 

Centuries of Tradition

Exactly! Tradition does not mean right. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

it’s an aphrodisiac 

Centuries of Tradition

Exactly! Tradition does not mean right. 
    Traditionally it did
  • Options
    Why the fuck did I open this thread? 

Same reason you usually do mate.....to get a rise out of the usual suspects (winky face thing)

See my earlier post has been deleted. For the benefit of site harmony then probably for the best.