Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Grouse shooting

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:
    I love grouse shooting day , the way you get a little cluster of feathers flying when you hit them sweet then the little squak as they accept the pellet into their lungs 

it’s an aphrodisiac 
    My first serious question for years NLA.

Do you feel the same about Fox hunting  that its fun ?  Culling for certain reasons is acceptable but getting a semi whilst shouting Tally ho !

A pheasant farm is down the lanes from me and many pheasant who were reared to be shot tried to escape but because of their lack of understanding of the green cross code get run over.

Devil or the deep blue sea.

Shit to be born a grouse or pheasant.

Think we should fox hunt I see nothing wrong with it centuries of tradition 

Rabbits,  grouse,  pheasant,  deer all fair game and  acceptable as long as the hunting is for food purposes or culling the weaker one from herds 

Centuries of Tradition

Oh well, that makes it ok then!
    Exactly! Tradition does not mean right. 
    But it makes it worth while I mean all those years of it being ok only for more liberal folks to now say it’s not ,

well I think it is still ok to do

however it’s now banned and I don’t feel that I should ignore that ban and continue to follow the hunt or contribute but I hope it comes back and I can enjoy the hunt again 
  • Why the fuck did I open this thread? 

Same reason you usually do mate.....to get a rise out of the usual suspects (winky face thing)

See my earlier post has been deleted. For the benefit of site harmony then probably for the best.
    Genuinely mate, I don't post to get a rise out of anyone. I think the OP might have a bit of an agenda though
  • edited August 2019
    Why the fuck did I open this thread? 

Same reason you usually do mate.....to get a rise out of the usual suspects (winky face thing)

See my earlier post has been deleted. For the benefit of site harmony then probably for the best.
    Genuinely mate, I don't post to get a rise out of anyone. I think the OP might have a bit of an agenda though
    Nope. Not at all. Over the last few years I've taken the time to learn a lot about country sports, how they work and what they mean to (usually small) businesses up and down the country. 

Call it a journey of discovery, if you like. I used to be vehemently opposed to most country pursuits, but had to admit that it was usually about who, rather than what. 

Here's a fair question aimed at anyone who opposes grouse hunting: assuming you don't want to ban grouse being served as food, how would you prefer grouse to be killed in order to supply restaurants? 
  • Chizz said:

Nope. Not at all. Over the last few years I've taken the time to learn a lot about country sports, how they work and what they mean to (usually small) businesses up and down the country. 

Call it a journey of discovery, if you like. I used to be vehemently opposed to most country pursuits, but had to admit that it was usually about who, rather than what. 

Here's a fair question aimed at anyone who opposes grouse hunting: assuming you don't want to ban grouse being served as food, how would you prefer grouse to be killed in order to supply restaurants? 
    As it happens I agree with you, but I don't come on here for this stuff, so don't put it under General Charlton.
  • Uboat said:
    Chizz said:

As it happens I agree with you, but I don't come on here for this stuff, so don't put it under General Charlton.
    That was an unfortunate error, as I didn't get an option on the mobile I was using and then want able to edit it. I understand that's fixed now.
  • (If I'd been able to, if have put it under other sports)
  • Chizz said:

Not sure if I'm missing something here and about to get a massive Whoosh, although you need to get up pretty early in the morning to catch me out - but I'm gonna say well done and I congratulate you in taking the time to research the ins and outs, before having an informed opinion. 

To go back to something NLA said regarding killing to eat. I know a couple of deer stalkers who operate in the south of England and they regularly have individual fresh shot deer for sale at £10 each, un-gralloched and skin on. These animals haven't been shoot for the stalkers own consumption, nor to sell commercially to make any money, but purely to maintain healthy numbers (healthy for the benefit of the local biodiversity and also the deer themselves). 
  • Swisdom said:
    A colleague goes by the motto "If it flies, it dies" when shooting grouse, pheasants etc

also takes out foxes too but that's just because he's a wanker
    Megan or Morgan?
  • Chizz said:

Not sure if I'm missing something here and about to get a massive Whoosh, although you need to get up pretty early in the morning to catch me out - but I'm gonna say well done and I congratulate you in taking the time to research the ins and outs, before having an informed opinion. 

To go back to something NLA said regarding killing to eat. I know a couple of deer stalkers who operate in the south of England and they regularly have individual fresh shot deer for sale at £10 each, un-gralloched and skin on. These animals haven't been shoot for the stalkers own consumption, nor to sell commercially to make any money, but purely to maintain healthy numbers (healthy for the benefit of the local biodiversity and also the deer themselves). 
    Absolutely genuine. I had a fixed view about hunting, but based on no knowledge at all. So I set out to learn as much as I could about it. I sat down and spoke to someone who runs a hunt (and is a high court judge); I got to know someone who helps out with hunts and looks after hounds, I have a friend who has a ground cover business, so got lots of information from him, I talked to farmers and publicans and people who are vehemently opposed to hunting. I think I'm now much better informed. And I changed my mind. 

So, if my view is different from others' that's ok. Because, on this subject, I have a good idea what I'm talking about. 

With regards to grouse hunting, I'm less well-informed. But I do celebrate the glorious twelfth as it's a celebration of a national country sport, it is, on balance, a good way to protect some areas of the countryside and it provides a welcome economic stimulus to otherwise impoverished parts of the country. 

I get that people might want it banned. But, to those people, I'd ask: how should grouse be farmed and killed? Or should eating grouse be criminalised?
  • Chizz said:S
    Chizz said:

Absolutely genuine. I had a fixed view about hunting, but based on no knowledge at all. So I set out to learn as much as I could about it. I sat down and spoke to someone who runs a hunt (and is a high court judge); I got to know someone who helps out with hunts and looks after hounds, I have a friend who has a ground cover business, so got lots of information from him, I talked to farmers and publicans and people who are vehemently opposed to hunting. I think I'm now much better informed. And I changed my mind. 

So, if my view is different from others' that's ok. Because, on this subject, I have a good idea what I'm talking about. 

With regards to grouse hunting, I'm less well-informed. But I do celebrate the glorious twelfth as it's a celebration of a national country sport, it is, on balance, a good way to protect some areas of the countryside and it provides a welcome economic stimulus to otherwise impoverished parts of the country. 

I get that people might want it banned. But, to those people, I'd ask: how should grouse be farmed and killed? Or should eating grouse be criminalised?
    Surely my writings have had some influence an all?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2019
    Nothing quite like the tradition of some beige-chino Ruperts on daddy's farm shooting some defenceless animals!

There may be some reasons that can be used to justify it (culling, etc.) but the tradition argument is the weakest of them all. 
  • CAFCOlly said:
    Nothing quite like the tradition of some beige-chino Ruperts on daddy's farm shooting some defenceless animals!

There may be some reasons that can be used to justify it (culling, etc.) but the tradition argument is the weakest of them all. 
    How do you think grouse should be killed for the catering industry? 

Is grouse the only creature that makes you worry about the colour of the trousers worn by people in the supply chain? 
  • CAFCOlly said:

I normally wear a dark  tweed tbh the mess on a beige pair is quite hard to remove 

tradition is a weak argument granted that’s why I respect the fox hunting ban but it is an argument all the same 

• Dazzler21 said:
    I love grouse shooting day , the way you get a little cluster of feathers flying when you hit them sweet then the little squak as they accept the pellet into their lungs 

it’s an aphrodisiac 

Do you feel the same about Fox hunting  that its fun ?  Culling for certain reasons is acceptable but getting a semi whilst shouting Tally ho !

A pheasant farm is down the lanes from me and many pheasant who were reared to be shot tried to escape but because of their lack of understanding of the green cross code get run over.

Rabbits,  grouse,  pheasant,  deer all fair game and  acceptable as long as the hunting is for food purposes or culling the weaker one from herds 

Centuries of Tradition

Exactly! Tradition does not mean right. 
    Traditionally it did
    Hopefully we've all evolved a bit more since then or at least some of us have, still some Neanderthals about clearly.
  • I love grouse shooting day , the way you get a little cluster of feathers flying when you hit them sweet then the little squak as they accept the pellet into their lungs 

it’s an aphrodisiac 

Centuries of Tradition

It makes it okay for you not to agree with it, but not for you to want to ban it. One can't just ban everything one doesn't like or agree with, unfortunately, then move on to the next thing ones doesn't like, otherwise there'd be nothing left, at all
    I think it makes it perfectly ok for me to want it banned, and this isn't something about ones preference, this is about barbaric behaviour by a bunch of retarded people.
  • edited August 2019
    The grouse hunt is one thing as the meat is sold and used, but to support the fox hunts well...

Given the cruelty to the dogs, the horses and of course above all the foxes.... that's not sport.

A fox that reaches a hole being dug out to be torn to shreds whilst alive, terrified and with no escape.

Or to send dogs down the hole getting their snouts ripped to bits...

Working for who I work for I get all the horror stories. Trust me your country folk will find a way to make money and fit into society selling other products and services.

(I am sure the Vegan's are tutting as I type this, but a bullet to the brain is painless and ends the creatures life instantly, the shotgun rounds to a grouse will likely be almost instant due to the number of pellets involved but the fox hunt is as brutal and cruel if not more so than dog fighting)
  • CAFCOlly said:

Honestly mate, the people you speak of would find something else to do with their spare time like polo or yachting. The most affected by any bans would be the habitats that Country Sports promote and the vast amount of people who work in these industries and those associated with them. 
  • And to be fair, grouse aren't hunted as such, they're driven over the guns
  • And to be fair, grouse aren't hunted as such, they're driven over the guns
    You're right hunt is misleading for the grouse... It's like shooting fish in a barrel, a hunt actually takes skill and effort. 

As I say, not totally against the grouse, being they are used. But the fox tracking/hunt unless it involves an instant painless death is not acceptable. 

• i thought the season had started............................
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    And to be fair, grouse aren't hunted as such, they're driven over the guns
    You're right hunt is misleading for the grouse... It's like shooting fish in a barrel, a hunt actually takes skill and effort. 

As I say, not totally against the grouse, being they are used. But the fox tracking/hunt unless it involves an instant painless death is not acceptable. 

No one calls it Grouse hunting except people with limited knowledge of it, including those who want to ban. Trust me, shooting driven Grouse is a lot lot more difficult than shooting fish in a barrel mate, 
  • Chizz said:
    CAFCOlly said:

Is grouse the only creature that makes you worry about the colour of the trousers worn by people in the supply chain? 

Tradition comment was made with regards to fox hunting (if you read original comments made last page) so can't really comment on how grouse should be killed. Never eaten the bird and knowledge on slaughter houses is a bit rusty... Irregardless, I don't agree with it still if the only argument is 'tradition'. 

The image of a bunch of upper class men riding with hunting dogs getting a buzz from chasing and killing a terrified animal for no other reason than 'tradition' baffles me. Each to their own and all that but what other purpose does it serve?

Don't worry Chizz, I won't judge you for wearing a pair of beige chino's ;)
  • edited August 2019
    CAFCOlly said:

I normally wear a dark  tweed tbh the mess on a beige pair is quite hard to remove 

tradition is a weak argument granted that’s why I respect the fox hunting ban but it is an argument all the same 

Dark tweed comment got a giggle out of me.

Important and interesting to have these debates either way. No one's going to agree all the time. 
  • edited August 2019
    CAFCOlly said:
    Chizz said:
    CAFCOlly said:

Tradition comment was made with regards to fox hunting (if you read original comments made last page) so can't really comment on how grouse should be killed. Never eaten the bird and knowledge on slaughter houses is a bit rusty... Irregardless, I don't agree with it still if the only argument is 'tradition'. 

The image of a bunch of upper class men riding with hunting dogs getting a buzz from chasing and killing a terrified animal for no other reason than 'tradition' baffles me. Each to their own and all that but what other purpose does it serve?

I'm not sure you've quite got the hang of grouse shooting. 

Nevertheless, if they're not shot, on well cared for moors, how would you propose to kill grouse so that they can be eaten? 
  • Chizz said:
    CAFCOlly said:
    Chizz said:
    CAFCOlly said:

I'm not sure you've quite fit the hang of grouse shooting. 

Nevertheless, if they're not shot, on well cared for moors, how would you propose to kill grouse so that they can be eaten? 

I think it's pretty clear that the section you've highlighted is talking about fox hunting mate. 

My comments have been with regards to tradition. If the grouse are killed in a controlled, legal, and humane way and are then eaten then touche. The current debate is because there are doubts over this and the impact it is having on local habitat from what I can tell. If there are fears over this then it's only right that it's investigated. If the only argument is tradition then you'll need more than that which is what has been my point all along. 

I'm not quite sure if you've quite got the hang of my lack of knowledge/interest in grouse killing. Not sure where you're going with that point. Check out Google you'll probably be able to find some more information there pal 
  • CAFCOlly said:
    Chizz said:
    CAFCOlly said:
    Chizz said:
    CAFCOlly said:

I think it's pretty clear that the section you've highlighted is talking about fox hunting mate. 

My comments have been with regards to tradition. If the grouse are killed in a controlled, legal, and humane way and are then eaten then touche. The current debate is because there are doubts over this and the impact it is having on local habitat from what I can tell. If there are fears over this then it's only right that it's investigated. If the only argument is tradition then you'll need more than that which is what has been my point all along. 

I'm not quite sure if you've quite got the hang of my lack of knowledge/interest in grouse killing. Not sure where you're going with that point. Check out Google you'll probably be able to find some more information there pal 
    I'm sorry you missed my joke. 

So here, as plain as possible, is my question. If you think grouse shooting should be banned, how do you suggest they're killed so that they can be eaten? 

If you don't think grouse shooting should be banned, that's fine: we agree. 

But if you do think it should be banned, how should they be killed? Or would you criminalised for eating grouse? 
  • Chizz said:
    CAFCOlly said:
    Chizz said:
    CAFCOlly said:
    Chizz said:
    CAFCOlly said:

So here, as plain as possible, is my question. If you think grouse shooting should be banned, how do you suggest they're killed so that they can be eaten? 

But if you do think it should be banned, how should they be killed? Or would you criminalised for eating grouse? 
    A question I've tried to ask on a few occasions.
  • Chizz said:
    CAFCOlly said:
    Chizz said:
    CAFCOlly said:
    Chizz said:
    CAFCOlly said:

Look through my posts and let me know where I’ve said grouse shooting should be banned.
  • CAFCOlly said:
    Chizz said:
    CAFCOlly said:
    Chizz said:
    CAFCOlly said:
    Chizz said:
    CAFCOlly said:

Look through my posts and let me know where I’ve said grouse shooting should be banned.
    Ok, good. You came on to the grouse shooting thread to register your agreement with it. Great. We agree. 
  • My personal preference is we replace the fox with nonces and hunt them with bigger dogs and faster horses but I am yet to find a political party to support it 

but I doubt many folk would be as against replacing the fox with a nonce 

For the record i don’t agree with big game hunting

i see no issues with the pigeon and crow shoots I see no issues with deer culling and I have no issue with fox hunting I get the arguments about the hounds and tradition that’s why it’s a futile argument on my part I just enjoy the whole spectacle and day , but I respect that others don’t and therefore when banned although disappointed I accepted it 

shooting any bird that’s been beet out or forced up towards sky is a lot harder than shooting fish in a barrel which is still quite difficult to do