Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Grouse shooting

124»

Comments

• And to be fair, grouse aren't hunted as such, they're driven over the guns
    Thanks for putting me straight, then that's perfectly ok! Are you serious?
  • edited August 2019
    My personal preference is we replace the fox with nonces and hunt them with bigger dogs and faster horses but I am yet to find a political party to support it 

but I doubt many folk would be as against replacing the fox with a nonce 

For the record i don’t agree with big game hunting

i see no issues with the pigeon and crow shoots I see no issues with deer culling and I have no issue with fox hunting I get the arguments about the hounds and tradition that’s why it’s a futile argument on my part I just enjoy the whole spectacle and day , but I respect that others don’t and therefore when banned although disappointed I accepted it 

shooting any bird that’s been beet out or forced up towards sky is a lot harder than shooting fish in a barrel which is still quite difficult to do 
    You enjoy?

Honestly some people.
  • Chizz said:
    CAFCOlly said:
    Chizz said:
    CAFCOlly said:
    Chizz said:
    CAFCOlly said:
    Chizz said:
    CAFCOlly said:
    Nothing quite like the tradition of some beige-chino Ruperts on daddy's farm shooting some defenceless animals!

There may be some reasons that can be used to justify it (culling, etc.) but the tradition argument is the weakest of them all. 
    How do you think grouse should be killed for the catering industry? 

Is grouse the only creature that makes you worry about the colour of the trousers worn by people in the supply chain? 

Tradition comment was made with regards to fox hunting (if you read original comments made last page) so can't really comment on how grouse should be killed. Never eaten the bird and knowledge on slaughter houses is a bit rusty... Irregardless, I don't agree with it still if the only argument is 'tradition'. 

The image of a bunch of upper class men riding with hunting dogs getting a buzz from chasing and killing a terrified animal for no other reason than 'tradition' baffles me. Each to their own and all that but what other purpose does it serve?

Don't worry Chizz, I won't judge you for wearing a pair of beige chino's ;)
    I'm not sure you've quite fit the hang of grouse shooting. 

Nevertheless, if they're not shot, on well cared for moors, how would you propose to kill grouse so that they can be eaten? 

I think it's pretty clear that the section you've highlighted is talking about fox hunting mate. 

My comments have been with regards to tradition. If the grouse are killed in a controlled, legal, and humane way and are then eaten then touche. The current debate is because there are doubts over this and the impact it is having on local habitat from what I can tell. If there are fears over this then it's only right that it's investigated. If the only argument is tradition then you'll need more than that which is what has been my point all along. 

I'm not quite sure if you've quite got the hang of my lack of knowledge/interest in grouse killing. Not sure where you're going with that point. Check out Google you'll probably be able to find some more information there pal 
    I'm sorry you missed my joke. 

So here, as plain as possible, is my question. If you think grouse shooting should be banned, how do you suggest they're killed so that they can be eaten? 

If you don't think grouse shooting should be banned, that's fine: we agree. 

But if you do think it should be banned, how should they be killed? Or would you criminalised for eating grouse? 
    Look through my posts and let me know where I’ve said grouse shooting should be banned.
    Ok, good. You came on to the grouse shooting thread to register your agreement with it. Great. We agree. 

• And to be fair, grouse aren't hunted as such, they're driven over the guns
    Thanks for putting me straight, then that's perfectly ok! Are you serious?
    I weren't talking to you, I was talking to Daz
  • I think grouse have a better life than pheasant as it happens..at least grouse live in the wild before they are shot 

• lolwray said:
    I think grouse have a better life than pheasant as it happens..at least grouse live in the wild before they are shot 

So do pheasant, those that are captivs bred are released from their pens at around 8 weeks 
  • The pheasants round here seem to be doing ok. The Buzzards like an anyway.
  • edited August 2019
    I suppose the grouse has a better chance of seeing another day if shot at on a rich owners grant aided piece of wild animal cleared moorland than a pig, cow, lamb, chicken, turkey or any other animal in a slaughterhouse.
    Tradition is no augment to keep cruel sports, the working class used to have their own, dog fights, cock fights, to name two but our betters had no problem outlawing them and rightly so. 
    As for jobs and small businesses, they will have to evolve, adapt or go, just like any other industry. I don’t remember anyone or for that matter the Daily Mail or Express  campaigning for the plight of the highly skilled Toolmaker back in the eighties when they started going extinct.

I hate any cruelty or for that matter any killing of animals even when somehow dressed up as a cull to keep herds strong. Those herds should not even be in this country. Deer and some fowl are not indigenous to our islands they were introduced by estate owners to hunt.

If it breathes, let it live. 
  • I suppose the grouse has a better chance of seeing another day if shot at on a rich owners grant aided piece of wild animal cleared moorland than a pig, cow, lamb, chicken, turkey or any other animal in a slaughterhouse.
    Tradition is no augment to keep cruel sports, the working class used to have their own, dog fights, cock fights, to name two but our betters had no problem outlawing them and rightly so. 
    As for jobs and small businesses, they will have to evolve, adapt or go, just like any other industry. I don’t remember anyone or for that matter the Daily Mail or Express  campaigning for the plight of the highly skilled Toolmaker back in the eighties when they started going extinct.

I hate any cruelty or for that matter any killing of animals even when somehow dressed up as a cull to keep herds strong. Those herds should not even be in this country. Deer and some fowl are not indigenous to our islands they were introduced by estate owners to hunt.

Are you suggesting that eating grouse should be made illegal?
  • What are you going to reply if someone does actually say yes @Chizz? Asking for a friend.
  • Sponsored links:

• What are you going to reply if someone does actually say yes @Chizz? Asking for a friend.
    I'd say it's a totally honourable, clear position, although one I disagree with. 
  • Chizz said:
    What are you going to reply if someone does actually say yes @Chizz? Asking for a friend.
    I'd say it's a totally honourable, clear position, although one I disagree with. 

Thanks, I’ll pass that on.
  • Chizz said:
    I suppose the grouse has a better chance of seeing another day if shot at on a rich owners grant aided piece of wild animal cleared moorland than a pig, cow, lamb, chicken, turkey or any other animal in a slaughterhouse.

If suggesting anything it would be to stop killing animals full stop. But the reality is a large section of the human race finds it impossible to live without eating meat. So I’m on a losing wicket there, even though the benefits are too numerous to list and the downside.....there isn’t one, the whole planet wins.
    But I would suggest shooting grouse is a cruel “sport” and as such should be outlawed.
    It’s a sport where only one side ever wins and losers don’t get to play the sport again. Also the side that gets to win all the time also gets dress up in a style that would attract a hunt of sort in urban London by  the local animals. Now there’s an original idea that no doubt would  be stopped the moment the first tweed jacket was holed and stained with blood.
  • Chizz said:

If suggesting anything it would be to stop killing animals full stop. But the reality is a large section of the human race finds it impossible to live without eating meat. So I’m on a losing wicket there, even though the benefits are too numerous to list and the downside.....there isn’t one, the whole planet wins.
    But I would suggest shooting grouse is a cruel “sport” and as such should be outlawed.
    It’s a sport where only one side ever wins and losers don’t get to play the sport again. Also the side that gets to win all the time also gets dress up in a style that would attract a hunt of sort in urban London by  the local animals. Now there’s an original idea that no doubt would  be stopped the moment the first tweed jacket was holed and stained with blood.
    Apart fro your objection to the clothes being worn by the participants, you make an interesting point that you think "we" should stop killing all animals.  But you also suggest that (albeit reluctantly) people should be allowed to continue to eat grouse.  

If that's the case, how would you propose to kill them?  Because, to be fair, if you're not proposing banning people from eating them and you're not proposing people are prevented from cooking and serving them, they've got to be killed in some way.  What would be your preference?
  • It's nice to have the luxury of choosing exactly what food we eat and how we get it, let alone preaching it to others
  • I went clay pigeon shooting with my mate Paul. Can't believe how many people knew him there. 
    Image result for monkey on drums gif
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Apart fro your objection to the clothes being worn by the participants, you make an interesting point that you think "we" should stop killing all animals.  But you also suggest that (albeit reluctantly) people should be allowed to continue to eat grouse.  

If that's the case, how would you propose to kill them?  Because, to be fair, if you're not proposing banning people from eating them and you're not proposing people are prevented from cooking and serving them, they've got to be killed in some way.  What would be your preference?
    I didn’t object to the clothing worn. I observed that one side dressed up, the other had to make do with the kit they had turned up in.  Wear what you like , I’m sure the grouse are not bothered either.

The “we”is the human race, you knew that but just in case you know that now. 

As for topping them I’m sure you know how animals are dispatched by the men in the white wellies. Take the “sport” out of it, see it for what it is in all it’s horror, if you have to continue with strange habit.

I would like to propose banning all animal shooting but as long as the salad dodgers hold power,(and all the guns), I’m not going to win. All I can do hope that those who participate in cruelly blasting animals with guns for fun get their comeuppance, something ranging from food poisoning from eating gone off grouse to an accidental self foot shooting.

• No need for that mate
  • Sponsored links:

• My personal preference is we replace the fox with nonces and hunt them with bigger dogs and faster horses but I am yet to find a political party to support it 

but I doubt many folk would be as against replacing the fox with a nonce 

For the record i don’t agree with big game hunting

i see no issues with the pigeon and crow shoots I see no issues with deer culling and I have no issue with fox hunting I get the arguments about the hounds and tradition that’s why it’s a futile argument on my part I just enjoy the whole spectacle and day , but I respect that others don’t and therefore when banned although disappointed I accepted it 

shooting any bird that’s been beet out or forced up towards sky is a lot harder than shooting fish in a barrel which is still quite difficult to do 
    You enjoy?

Honestly some people.
    Yep I enjoy it I enjoy the hunt we don’t all have to like or enjoy the same things 
  • No need for that mate
    Ok I retract the two bob bits and substitute it for a broken tooth from chewing on lead.
  • Now back to the chase.(no not Bradley Walsh)

CL Members are an eclectic mix.

I don't like killing anything that I'm on first name terms with. Sid the Spider, who I rescued before my family get there first, or
    Freddie Fox who visits most nights from the local woods looking for food. I have a net and the amount of bees and butterflies I rescue from my big glass conservatory is running into the thousands in the spring and summer( Barry bee and Betty butterfly if your interested)
  • edited August 2019
    If Homo Sapiens survive the next hundred years (unlikely for a myriad of Reasons) they will be eaten by the new beast on the block. Sabre toothed rats the size of tigers,
    Or blood lust Tigers the size of rats 

Charlton Life menu:

Starters. Chizz : a bit chewy which can repeat and leave a unpleasant taste in the mouth and appears to have a marmite response. Has hidden depth and some folk find it's so filling they go straight to the Leuth Souffle.

Main course. NLA: tough to look at but after 3 hours at 180 degrees (160 if fan oven) is tender and very pleasant. 

Sweet. Seth Plum Pudding:
    A unique and enjoyable taste, too Becketesque for some but while 
    waiting for the bill, is more filling than a Leuth Souffle.