Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Doncaster | Fri 17 May | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Macronate said:

Doncaster are plotted up at the Marriott in Bexleyheath.

Coincidentally, I've just opened up a concession next door selling vuvuzelas, foghorns, drum kits, whistles, jackhammers, house alarms, fireworks, aeroplanes when they're taking off, vacuum cleaners, lawn mowers, chain saws, snowmobiles, cuckoo clocks and humming refrigerators.

I saw a suggestion on Facebook the other day, about some lads giving Donny an early morning wake up call.
    Think a few people should drive along the road outside and use our horns of the cars, just keep doing loops around and horning as soon as you get near and outside the Marriott. Sorted.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Hahaha both sets of players are idiots! 😂 (wrong thread!)
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Doncaster are plotted up at the Marriott in Bexleyheath.

Coincidentally, I've just opened up a concession next door selling vuvuzelas, foghorns, drum kits, whistles, jackhammers, house alarms, fireworks, aeroplanes when they're taking off, vacuum cleaners, lawn mowers, chain saws, snowmobiles, cuckoo clocks and humming refrigerators.

What no fireworks!
  • Options
    In between house alarms and aeroplanes when they’re taking off, aisle 3.
  • Options
    Anyone want to swap a west lower for a jimmy seed adult? 
  • Options
    An unchanged team for me, with Bielik's quality and drive being deployed in his usual midfield position. There's no need for us to sit back, as we have more than enough ability and confidence to dictate the music and tempo of the game.

I think that we'll come out of the traps quickly and, to adopt Grant McCann's vernacular, go for the jugular. There are bound to be a few nervous spells in the match but the 15 point gap after 46 games reflects Charlton's greater quality - especially in midfield and at centre-forward with Lyle Taylor - and that, plus the backing of a home sell-out crowd should see us home. Very importantly, I'm also confident in the ability of Lee Bowyer and Jacko to manage our players through this and ensure that they don't let the occasion get to them.

It will (as ever) be important to keep 11 men on the field and it would be an added bonus to attack the 9,000 strong Covered End in the second half, although I'm sure that the 1,000 in the South Stand will also make themselves heard.

I was very interested to read in Airman's excellent article about the symmetry between this season and 1997/98, when we won, drew and lost exactly the same number of league games. Sunderland's presence at Wembley only reinforces the similarities and all we need now is for Lyle to knock in a further three goals to equal Super Clive's total of 28. I wouldn't put it past him.
  • Options
    Is it time to leave home yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It would be annoying if the fire alarm goes off at 2am 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Look if any of you have slept since Sunday you're better people than I am.

How I think Bowyer will line up:
    .......................Phillips
    Dijksteel Bauer Pearce Sarr Purrington
    ...................Bielik Cullen
    ......................Aribo
    .................Taylor Parker

How I would line up:
    ................Phillips
    Dijksteel Bauer Sarr Purrington
    ..............Bielik
    ......Cullen......Reeves
    ..............Aribo
    ...........Parker Taylor

I've been saying it for the past couple years, but I think that Pearce drops too deep and forces us to defend too deep/leave gaps between defense and midfield. But I think that Bowyer will start with him in a back three. 

In the team I would choose, it's tough between Reeves, Williams, and Morgan. Morgan has obviously shown himself to be very skillful. Williams, we know his class. And Reeves has quietly had quite a good season. I've gone with Reeves to 1) Let Aribo play in the 10 role, and 2) because he does an excellent job of helping us retain possession, and I think our best approach to this game is to stifle them with possession. He also can get stuck in and get into passing lanes. Going with Williams or Morgan also has their upside. I just hope we don't go with Pratley in there. With Bielik and Cullen we have enough defensive ability, and while Pratley has improved second half, he doesn't provide much in possession and slows things down drastically. And also, can get caught out of position.

Lastly, I think Bowyer would be dead wrong to drop Dijksteel for Solly. Dijksteel has been excellent for weeks. Solly has had a meandering season. Solly has traditionally played best when he has competition, which we haven't had enough of at RB in recent years. But right now, the shirt is Dijksteel's to lose. 
    I don't think Bowyer will do the same thing again with 5-3-2 / 3-5-2, but Donny will have to cater for that in their thinking.  So:

Phillips
    Dijksteel Bauer Sarr Purrington
    Bielik
    Cullen Williams
    Aribo
    Taylor Parker
    That is the team I would go with. pretty damn strong IMO. 
    Near enough the strongest first eleven in the division.
  • Options
    Just bumped into Gary Nelson, he’s double confident we are going up
    I'm swithering between it being an easy peasy win and going one down with Taylor sent off. That late goal for Donny didn't seem to matter too much at the time because we had still won away, but Derby smashing four past Leeds this week hasn't helped my confidence. I'm going for scraping by - 0-0 or 1-1.
    Garry Nelson I know, who Gary Nelson?

Swithering?  Are you from oop north or summat?
  • Options
    It would be annoying if the fire alarm goes off at 2am 
    I reckon it might.
  • Options
    If I was Donny manager, I'd be saying "they are a much better side than us, we have to equalise play by getting their players carded, yellow or red". I hope Boys has that in his teamtalk.
  • Options
    Not as confident as most round here (jet lagged) but come 3am I'll be there in front of the screen with my very confident Grayhound.
    1:0..?
    C.O.Y.R
  • Options
    Probably been posted elsewhere but so far in the play offs, the lower finishing of the 4 teams have made it to the final.
  • Options
    My advice to the lads is keep your heads, hold your nerve, play your game and we should be alright. Big, big game. C’mon Charlton ... Don’t let us down 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    My advice to the lads is keep your heads, hold your nerve, play your game and we should be alright. Big, big game. C’mon Charlton ... Don’t let us down 
    I don't get all this don't let us down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Been calm all week. Not today. Woken up absolutely bricking it 
  • Options
    Ladies and Gentleman - it’s SHOWTIME!!!!!     COYR!!!!!!!!!!!!    
  • Options
    6-0
  • Options
    ‘Kin ell.... here we go

COYR!
  • Options
    Can't wait! But wish I knew the score already so I can go and relax and enjoy the game tonight! COYRs. 'Lee Bowyer's Red and White Army'....
  • Options
    I love these 2 legged affairs.
    We have a goal advantage but does it make things much easier for us.
    Me I'd be at Doncaster from the off , what happens though if 20 mins in we concede.
    Do we sit back a bit more it's for Donny to come at us.
    Bring it on
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    _MrDick said:
    I don't get all this don't let us down.
    It comes from supporting Charlton for over 50 years. Apart from the Ipswich and Sunderland matches in 98, we just don’t seem to deliver on the big games. Cup runs? Penalty shootouts? Norfolk Enchance. Charlton fans are destined to a lifetime of disappointment. Hence my plea for them not to let us down