Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Doncaster | Fri 17 May | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• I think we stick with Arnie at right back. Can’t fault his performances since Solly’s suspension and he has the height to deal with Doncaster’s long balls
    And hes better than Solly, not a finished article but better at this moment in their careers.
  • Agreed.
    Don't drop Ant for Solly, nor Morgan for Williams.
    Let them both start and change if we need to.
  • edited May 2019
    It comes down to who Bowyer thinks will deal better with their danger man Wilkes.
    Dijksteel did well on Sunday and I see no reason to change.
  • cafc_se7 said:
    Not sure how you could possibly drop Dijksteel for Solly. Sorry but Sols is not the player he once was....Dijksteel is mustard and we shouldn’t be looking to contain....I really think we can take this lot to the cleaners!! 

Everyone mentions Donny wanting payback but I remember a Tuesday evening game a few seasons ago in the championship where they sung ‘going down’ to us at there place when they beat us (2-0 I think). Riga completed our great escape and they went down! Will never forget them goading us!!
    Should read what I put then :) - I've swapped them to keep the squad fresher

Solly is still a more than adequate player to come into the team should he be needed
  • Steel over Solly all day. 

I must say though I had my first nightmare leading up to the big game this Friday and it wasn't pleasant. All our Goalies were injured and they asked for a volunteer from the crowd, I figured I'm 6'1, long arms, why not. Gloved up and got on the pitch. First touch I undercooked it and had to run out to correct the mistake, a Donny player took it off me and scored. Second goal for them I just came charging out and completely missed the ball and they scored again. At this point everyone was yelling at me and my confidence was shot. One of theirs took a shot from about 40 yards out and I let it in.

Woke up in a genuine cold sweat. 

If my nightmare comes true Donny win, Phillips in the sticks then it's a comfortable home win 
  • Great pre-view FA, onto Friday. I have enough faith in Lee B to believe  any side he puts out will be the right one.
    I hope that we can get our noses in front, early,  settle nerves, and maybe Donny will fold. The support at the Keepmoat was sensational, its vital the we the fans play our part and support the boys, even if we have an early setback.... but to coin a phase.... "I have a dream!!"      Hopefully NOT for the last time this season.

COYRS!!!!!!
  • Charlton Athletic (2) v (1) Doncaster Rovers
    Friday 17th May 2019 ... 7:45pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Gavin Ward (Surrey)

So how are your nerves after going through that roller coaster of emotions?

I imagine many like myself are still recovering from the emphatic win against Doncaster on Sunday, despite a slow start, goals from Lyle Taylor and Joe Aribo would give us an oh so important lead to take back to the Valley and so secure a win in the first leg of a Play-Off Semi-Final since the Ipswich Town victory in 1998 (for those desperately looking for inspiration)... Doncaster shouldnt be ruled out until the referee calls time on the match, they know what they must do, a single goal win can take it to extra-time and god forbid; penalties... a clear two goals and it is them that get to enjoy a trip to Wembley; the roller coaster of emotions that the Play-Offs evoke are only just getting warmed up, with an all but sold out Valley its a chance for the fans to truly become the twelfth man and so send us to a Play-Off Final for the first in twenty one years!!

Name: Doncaster Rovers | Manager: Grant McCann
    Ground: Keepmoat Stadium

Doncaster should take heart from their defeat on Sunday afternoon; there have been five occasions in League One (or the Second Division before the renaming) where the home side have lost the first leg yet have still advanced to the Final... You have to go back to 2008 to find that last occurrence though: Leeds United would lose 2-1 at Carlisle United before getting rescuing the fixture at Brunton Park - To help Addicks nerves another 1-2 scoreline was recovered from in 2002, this time it would be Stoke City who would turn the fixture on its head and so enjoy a day out at Wembley.

Its clear though that Lee Bowyer isnt the sort of man to reflect on the history books, as proven at the Keapmoat on Sunday it was the Addicks who surprised everyone by altering their formation - Keeping John Marquis contained again will be one of the priorities for the Charlton Manager whilst Mallik Wilks will once again be a threat on the flanks, the fact that Doncaster have been able to call upon veteran: James Coppinger in fifty of their matches this season is nothing less than impressive, the 38-year old could be key to keeping his team mates calm in what'll be a game our opponents must win.

Oh and to genuinely calm Addicks nerves; Swindon Town were the last team to win 2-1 away from home in the opening leg, they achieved that feat in 2015 before going on to lose unfortunately at Wembley - The fact though their fans had to endure a 5-5 second leg against Sheffield United could hint towards some goals under the Valley floodlights.

Charlton Team News
    In the first leg; Bowyer made the slightly surprising decision by naming Albie Morgan ahead of Jonny Williams (albeit justifying his decision prior to the match by wishing to stick with the team that had performed so admirably in recent weeks) - With so much on the cards its a change that you'd potentially expect to see happen this week, its a game when you want your best and experienced players, having played in the Semi-Final of a European Championships you'd expect a game like this to be simple for the calibre of a man like Williams (wry smile time)

Elsewhere; Chris Solly finally returns from his four match suspension (having earned his second red of the season against Oxford), Bowyer may well choose to stick with Anfernee Dijksteel who himself has performed to a high standard of late yet may choose to put Solly straight back into the team and freshen up the defence slightly - Josh Parker saved his best performance in a Charlton shirt for the encounter on Sunday lunchtime, despite pulling up midway through the second half with cramp its expected that the ex-Gillingham Striker will be fit to return to the line-up. Igor Vetokele remains a doubt with a thigh strain and is rumoured that his season is now well and truly over

Phillips
    Solly | Bauer | Sarr | Purrington
    Bielik | Cullen | Aribo
    Williams
    Taylor | Parker

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Pearce | Dijksteel | Forster-Caskey | Lapslie | Morgan | Pratley

Prediction
    I sincerely hope that I have one more Match Preview to write, if this is it then its a pleasure as always but am going to make this section very simple - There is one question that Lee Bowyer should now be asking his players: Who they want to be facing next season; Do they want to making trips to Fulham and Stoke City... Or do they want to stay here in League One, sacrificing any potential glory, forever thinking what may have been and so face trips to the potential likes of Newport or Tranmere, thankfully for the time being its in our hands, now isnt the time for any slip ups!!
    I sincerely hope that Aribo isn’t shunted out to the left after 4 goals in 4 and MoM in most of them 
  • Sponsored links:

• Surely LB took Morgan off at 2-0 so he could start him Friday?

Hoping for a convincing win, we should have too much for them 3-0.
  • edited May 2019
    Hope you get to write one more @ForeverAddickted

The cautious side of me is saying this isn’t over and fears Marquis will pull something out the bag, but my gut feeling is convinced we will be ok. 

Dont fold lads, you’ve got this 
  • A classic under the lights at The Valley. The ground will be rocking and the players will deliver. Doncaster will have to set up to have a go and try an attack, this will play straight into strengths.

A 3-1 win with us dominating throughout. 

Taylor, Aribo & Cullen
  • Going for a nervy 1-1. First goal is going to be massive. 
  • Great preview as ever ForeverAddickted .

Come on .... , would Charlton let me down the day after my birthday ?

4- 0 to us , @happyvalley shouldered around the pitch after the game by the Charlton players, Parker with a hat trick and a 35 yard screamer from Solly , after coming on from off the bench.

A man can dream can't he .... Come On You Addicks !!!!

My 30th Birthday on Thursday too! Glad to have a birthday brother on the site

I think we'll absolutely do them...3-0, so 5-1 on aggregate for my first ever Wembley trip (I was a little too long apparently in '98...)
  • IR94 said:
    See that Donny are piping up on there forum 
    "We'll beat that poor man's crystal Palace, no problem"
    "I struggle to place Charlton in the football pecking order, it just seems like a club that lacks identity. I forget they exist until we play them. 
    Leyton orient have more relevance to me."
    "Charlton, for me, are like somewhere between not quite good enough to really push on in the Championship, but far too good for League One"

Lets smash em!!

That’s the sort of stuff I am happy to hear ... give it to the players and job half done. 

• IR94 said:
    See that Donny are piping up on there forum 
    "We'll beat that poor man's crystal Palace, no problem"
    "I struggle to place Charlton in the football pecking order, it just seems like a club that lacks identity. I forget they exist until we play them. 
    Leyton orient have more relevance to me."
    "Charlton, for me, are like somewhere between not quite good enough to really push on in the Championship, but far too good for League One"

Superb stuff!
  • 2-0 Charlton. AD to stay in and Solly on the bench. Morgan instead of Williams. Aribo and Parker to score, both assists from Taylor. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Rocking Valley under the lights. Comfortable 4-0 win. 3-0 at HT Doncaster Fans leave early. Cheerio, cheerio, cheerio 👋 
  • My six year old predicted another 2-1 win. That'll do nicely :)

• Doncaster Rovers, the poor man's Rotherham United

Doncaster Rovers, the poor man's Doncaster Rovers

• Got a ticket for this one, first game in 2 years. Really looking forward to going to the Valley to cheer the lads on to a famous victory. 
  • Dull nil nil draw
  • Dull nil nil draw
    Take that all day long. Atmosphere would be electric still.
  • A 3-0 lead in the first 20mins would be nice

Then get the likes of Lyle Taylor off pronto
  • 1-0 defeat
    Lose on penalties
    Massive queue to get in to Charlton station, and cram on the 4 car trains provided as Southeastern haven't adjusted the stock for 25000 fans leaving The Valley on a Friday evening

I confidently expect one of these predictions to come true!

• Any news on the fitness of Igor?