Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*Jonny Williams signs- 6 month deal*

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:

Valley11 said:

We’re not calling him Joniesta are we? That’s a Palace nickname for him. Massively cringe

How about

^

Had forgotten Pratley and Reeves. Makes 12 midfielders and only Pratley (whom I expect to retire) whom I could not see playing L1 or better next season. Real strength (if fit).

That's why I was surprised we signed Williams when CM is not an issue in the slightest, although we do have a lot of injuries there at present.

I would prefer to replace Marshall with another winger who can make things happen. I know Bowyer likes the diamond but as we found out under Robinson you need to be flexible too. Marshall is ok but not League 1 promotion winning IMO. We are not getting the best out of Fosu in this formation either.
    Williams replaces Ward (and gives us another option at CM) and it was an opportunity too good to turn down. Signed permanently so doesn’t take a loan slot, and if fit should be playing Championship football.
    They are different players though. Ward could play out wide or upfront too, and could chip in with a few goals. I just think we do need to take some pressure off Grant and Taylor. Ajose isn't playing well, Igor will barely play and Fosu isn't playing well. We could do with a winger or striker definitely. As yesterday proved, we were on top and couldn't put the ball in the net. Would be lovely to have someone other then Grant and Taylor capable of doing that.
  • Options
    We are also likely to lose Taylor for a couple of matches soon when he hits 10 yellow cards.
  • Options

Scoham said:

Valley11 said:

We’re not calling him Joniesta are we? That’s a Palace nickname for him. Massively cringe

How about

^

Had forgotten Pratley and Reeves. Makes 12 midfielders and only Pratley (whom I expect to retire) whom I could not see playing L1 or better next season. Real strength (if fit).

That's why I was surprised we signed Williams when CM is not an issue in the slightest, although we do have a lot of injuries there at present.

I would prefer to replace Marshall with another winger who can make things happen. I know Bowyer likes the diamond but as we found out under Robinson you need to be flexible too. Marshall is ok but not League 1 promotion winning IMO. We are not getting the best out of Fosu in this formation either.
    Williams replaces Ward (and gives us another option at CM) and it was an opportunity too good to turn down. Signed permanently so doesn’t take a loan slot, and if fit should be playing Championship football.
    They are different players though. Ward could play out wide or upfront too, and could chip in with a few goals. I just think we do need to take some pressure off Grant and Taylor. Ajose isn't playing well, Igor will barely play and Fosu isn't playing well. We could do with a winger or striker definitely. As yesterday proved, we were on top and couldn't put the ball in the net. Would be lovely to have someone other then Grant and Taylor capable of doing that.
    Are they really that different? Both small and more about technique and intelligence than pace and power.

Ward's never been much of a goalscorer, Bowyer never used him up front from what I can remember. Williams could potentially play out wide in a more playmaking type role, he can run with the ball and pick a pass.

Agree a better third choice striker would be very useful, but it won't be easy to find one. They've got to be affordable yet proven and available. I think we'll need the takeover to go through to be able to strengthen in that area.
  • Options

If he's travelling from the Palarse area tomorrow do you reckon he would pop by streatham on the way and give me a lift?

+1, streatham hill to be exact
    I'm Streatham Hill too! Coincidence.

Still haven't worked out the least worst way to get to Charlton yet. London bridge and out it a bit of an arse.
    I tend to walk to Balham for the tube to London bridge, not the quickest but reliable.
  • Options
    One excellent driving run which hints he could restore some of the dynamism to the midfield that we’ve lacked since Aribo got injured. Looked a bit rusty too though, but hints that he is basically a better Reeves, as others have said. Have zero faith he’ll finally stay fit here of all places, but will be a strong contender for a starting place even when everyone is fit.
  • Options

One excellent driving run which hints he could restore some of the dynamism to the midfield that we’ve lacked since Aribo got injured. Looked a bit rusty too though, but hints that he is basically a better Reeves, as others have said. Have zero faith he’ll finally stay fit here of all places, but will be a strong contender for a starting place even when everyone is fit.

He really only needs to stay fit until we can get Aribo back on the pitch and maybe Cullen too - accepting that Cullen plays a different role.

If Williams can play 10 games between now and the end of the season then that may well be all we need out of him.
  • Options
    Would be nice if it’s more though. Bielek, Cullen, Aribo, Williams and Fosu would be quite the quintet to choose from. Reeves, Clarke, Morgan and Lapslie in the wings too. A very strong squad of midfielders at this level.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Valley11 said:

How about

^

Are they really that different? Both small and more about technique and intelligence than pace and power.

Ward's never been much of a goalscorer, Bowyer never used him up front from what I can remember. Williams could potentially play out wide in a more playmaking type role, he can run with the ball and pick a pass.

Agree a better third choice striker would be very useful, but it won't be easy to find one. They've got to be affordable yet proven and available. I think we'll need the takeover to go through to be able to strengthen in that area.
    To be fair, thinking about it they probably aren’t miles apart. Ward perhaps adapted his game slightly because of his age. Certainly more attacking then Williams though. Never a goal scorer but capable of chipping in. I think Williams has less professional goals then Stevenson!

Only striker I can really think of is Aneke, think he would be a good versatile signing.
  • Options

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Valley11 said:

How about

^

To be fair, thinking about it they probably aren’t miles apart. Ward perhaps adapted his game slightly because of his age. Certainly more attacking then Williams though. Never a goal scorer but capable of chipping in. I think Williams has less professional goals then Stevenson!

Only striker I can really think of is Aneke, think he would be a good versatile signing.
    One question with Aneke... Is he out of contract in the summer?

If the answer is no then there isnt a hope in hell we'll sign him unless the takeover happens - Is their second top scorer this season (11-goals) and with MK Dons in second place I cant imagine them letting him go without a substantial fee
  • Options
    Jonny had spent 17 years at Crystal Palace before his transfer to Charlton and he said he had been overwhelmed with the responses since his departure. He said: “It got to a point where I knew if I wasn’t going to play, I had to move on for the good of my career. It was a hard decision. It’s been an emotional couple of days to be honest, with all the messages and memories from fans and friends that I’ve made over the last 17 years, so it was an emotional few days.

“I think I needed it, I’ve only really had positive messages from everyone. Everyone is delighted that I’ve got a fresh start and the boys have taken to me really well in the last couple of days and I’m looking forward to playing as many games as I can in Charlton shirt until the end of the season and see what happens.”

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c3320d8dc1bf/williams-i-couldnt-have-asked-for-a-better-reception-off-the-fans-i-feel-at-home-already
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apologies if i keep spelling his name wrong, i know the clue's in the thread title but for some reason i can't hard wire my brain to accept it.
  • Options
    Anyone comparing Williams to Reeves or Ward needs to watch more football. The only thing they have in common is an injury record.
  • Options

Anyone comparing Williams to Reeves or Ward needs to watch more football. The only thing they have in common is an injury record.

You think they have completely different styles?
  • Options
    Same forehead
  • Options

Same fivehead

• Options

Quite a good bit about him here, be nice to keep him for a couple of seasons if he stays injury free.
    https://t.co/TztC1u1UbX

Good read thanks for posting. If he stays fit he will be a great player for us, fingers crossed.
  • Options
    He’s looking a bit like Mr Tumnus in that picture!
  • Options
    Nice interview that. When clubs get into the Premier League, it does become harder for younger players to establish themselves, the latter half of our PL stay was badly timed for the likes of Michael Turner for example
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Nice interview that. When clubs get into the Premier League, it does become harder for younger players to establish themselves, the latter half of our PL stay was badly timed for the likes of Michael Turner for example

Long term planning goes out the window are 3 years in the premier league, and becomes about short term success.

Lloyd Sam is the only young player I can remember getting an opportunity after 04/05 season with us.
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/17/charlton-jonny-williams-crystal-palace-sunderland-interview

Very nice interview this.

I have to admit, being a bit isolated, and not bothering much with FAPL nowadays, I knew nothing about him. So I was very surprised when the Covered End started singing his name so soon when he came on against Sunderland. It really seemed to me that he heard it and it lifted him because from that point on, he took the game by the scruff of the neck. After reading this, I reckon that wasn't just my imagination.

Probably linked to Bow saying "I hope the fans can show him some love" before his debut.
  • Options
    Connor McGregor look a like?

• Options
    Loved him geeing up the crowd at the end even if the Stanley cry babies expected us all to walk off quietly after that dramatic winner .
    He’s clearly enjoying himself being in South East London playing footy for the first time !
  • Options
    Few rolls there. Fat fucker
  • Options
    Let us hope his injury from yesterday is not serious
  • Options
    ross1 said:

How was he up at Peterboro?
  • Options

ross1 said:

How was he up at Peterboro?
    Good, worked hard, wish he'd get into shooting positions more.