Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*Jonny Williams signs- 6 month deal*

Comments

• Options
    Sounds decent, good work Bow & Gallen. Like the fact that its permanent, albeit short term, not a loan. I can never get behind palace loanees, the first missplaced pass and im screaming at them the eff off back to selhurst! Good luck JW.
  • Options

Didn't realise it was only a 6 month deal when I first read it. It's essentially a trial for both sides then; if he plays well enough and we don't go up he will have put himself in the shop window for a Championship club, if he's dreadful/crippled then we say goodbye. Another other combination of events could see us keep him. I'm a little disappointed it's such a short deal, but it explains how it's possible given Roland's refusal to invest.

Gallen said specifically he's a replacement for Ward, so in terms of squad size we're back to where we were in December. Still need more in to bolster the squad.

We're minus one senior goalkeeper. Can't really count AMB.
    True, completely forgot about him. Not an ideal position to be in given the squad wasn't massive to start with but can't do anything about loans ending or being terminated. I imagine we'll get in a loan to cover Steer's absence and then that potentially leaves another two loans for the matchday squad if we can afford them
    When AMB was recalled from loan, Bowyer said straightaway that AMB goes back out on loan as soon as we've signed another keeper this window to replace Steer.

Remember also, these youngsters go to to non-League clubs because of flexibility of period of loan and recall options.
  • Options

Just how injury prone is he though?

Jonny Williams is bringing his own couch for the medical room.
  • Options
    Good luck to him.
    Hope he stays fit and contributes.
    Will be replace Ward or Aribo or both?
  • Options

Just how injury prone is he though?

Very. Which is why he's gone from the semi finals of Euro 2016 to league one in 2 and a half years.

When fit, he's clearly way above league one level.
    When being the operative word.

I wonder how many games he will manage for us before he gets crocked?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Good luck to him.

A direct replacement for Ward

Creative midfielder/No 10
    International
    Bad injury record
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Welcome Joniesta!
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Good luck to him.

according to Gallen he is the replacement for Ward.
  • Options
    Quality quality player, shame he is never fit.

Would pay good money to watch the one game him Cullen and Reeves manage together.

The reason we have taken over his contract and not signed him on loan is because RD is an evil genius who wants to piss us all off. Over you all go to the updated squad list to moan we now have MORE players out of contract in the summer! :tongue::tongue::tongue:

If he plays 10/15 games between now and the end of the season he won't be in league 1 next season.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Suppose it works out well for both parties being such a short permanent deal

- Less loan spaces taken up for Bowyer to bring others in
    - Gives Williams a chance to prove his worth and maybe get signed by a Championship club in the summer as imagine he's too good for League One
    - If we can get promoted with him then we can always sign him longer ourselves

It seems Palace had told him his contract wouldn't be renewed in the summer - and were prepared to let him go now.

No doubt Williams sees himself as a higher level player than League One.
    You can bet Bowyer has sold the promise of promotion and that Williams has a vital part to play in achieving that.

I would imagine that an option of a longer contract is available - providing promotion is won and Williams proves his fitness.

I would guess Palace have paid up part of his contract to cushion his wages, which Charlton won’t commit to in present circumstances. Hence the six months.
    Good thinking, Airman.
  • Options
    Excellent player if fit.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Cafc43v3r said:

If he plays 10/15 games between now and the end of the season he won't be in league 1 next season.

I would imagine he's signed, because Bowyer has told him we won't be in league 1 next season. :smile:

• Options
    YTS1978 said:

Sounds decent, good work Bow & Gallen. Like the fact that its permanent, albeit short term, not a loan. I can never get behind palace loanees, the first missplaced pass and im screaming at them the eff off back to selhurst! Good luck JW.

Oh Bow, Gallen & Jacko recruitment over Peters, Luzon, Fraye & Driesen!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Undoubtedly has the quality to excel at this level but he has a poor injury record. Worth a six month stint. Couldn't care less if he's played for Palace as long as he does his best for us.

Very unlike us to purchase a player with a poor track record with injuries.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I'll try to keep an open mind,... we've had good players from Palace before (Chris Powell, David White etc).

As said came across well on the Sunderland till i die programme, clearly has creative technical ability, which is exactly what we are crying out for.

He's been blighted by injuries (the scar from his shoulder op was horrific) so i'm guessing we'll probably only get 10 games out of him,before the end of the season, any more is bonus.

Signing an injury prone player, to me suggests a takeover isn't going to happen in January, but i'm hopefully wrong.

Jonny ,
    Oh Jonny Williams
    runs down the wing for me
    ( been waiting an age to resurrect that tune).

I think to get the best out of him , he needs our support and encouragement, not dogs abuse when he misplaces a pass, he is a confidence player.

Welcome to charlton Jonny, surely got to be better than Kai Kai!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Quality quality player, shame he is never fit.

Would pay good money to watch the one game him Cullen and Reeves manage together.

The reason we have taken over his contract and not signed him on loan is because RD is an evil genius who wants to piss us all off. Over you all go to the updated squad list to moan we now have MORE players out of contract in the summer! :tongue::tongue::tongue:

And neither will We!
  • Options
    If he stays fit he is one of the best players in this league, if not the best, but tgat is a massive if... 6 month deal, hopefully with option to extend if we are promoted, is best for all parties
  • Options
    Potentially a great signing - fingers & toes crossed he can get/stay fit.
  • Options
    Not a good move by him.
    He already has to work twice as hard to win fans over - given his past association, so why make it more difficult.

Wasn't he the guy that did Wiggins foot when we played them at the supermarket ?