Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Obscure players you remember for weird reasons

Comments

• Options
    The Port Vale trio are bang on

I recall Grimsby also signing an Italian Bonetti who was brilliant and scored the only goal in an awful 1 nil defeat at home to them. He later achieved wider fame when Brian Laws smashed a tray of sausage rolls into his face at half time

• Options
    The 3 amigos at wigan....Roberto Martinez was one of them
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Jonathan Acworth could make some valuable contributions to this thread. Used to enjoy reading his monthly scouting report in VOTV of non-League players that Curbs needed to sign as a matter of urgency before Barcelona came and snapped them up.

Steve somebody? Portaway? Played for Gravesend, ended up losing an eye IIRC.
  • Options
    Championship manager legend mads Jørgensen
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Bontcho Guentchev. Saw him score a hattrick against Grimsby for Ipswich. Still don't recall why I was there.
  • Options
    Preki for Everton
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Tommy Svindal Larsen. Another Championship manager bargain.
  • Options
    masicat said:

George Curtis of Coventry City. Those on here of a certain age will remember 1967.

Dumped Matt Tees into the stand?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

MrLargo said:

Jonathan Acworth could make some valuable contributions to this thread. Used to enjoy reading his monthly scouting report in VOTV of non-League players that Curbs needed to sign as a matter of urgency before Barcelona came and snapped them up.

Steve somebody? Portaway? Played for Gravesend, ended up losing an eye IIRC.
    Steve Portway is his name. He scored a ton of goals for Gravesend & Northfleet and was very close to signing for Charlton at one point.

There is a good article which includes an interview with the man here:

https://nonleaguefootball.club/2010/12/09/non-league-legend-steve-portway/
  • Options
    Noel Brotherton (think that was his surname anyway). Played for Blackburn in the 80s and remembered him for mad hair
  • Options
    Keith Hayward, one appearance in goal for us, i called out to him he looked and winked at me! As a 10yr old i was in heaven!
  • Options

Noel Brotherton (think that was his surname anyway). Played for Blackburn in the 80s and remembered him for mad hair

Brotherston reminded me of Charlie Drake
  • Options
    Some people need to look up the word obscure!!

• Options

I always remember Maurice Malpas and Stuart Nethercott because they were the the most common Proset card and Panini stickers respectively in a couple of different years.

Tons of Championship Manager/Football Manager players like Ibrahima Bakayoko and Cherno Samba who were never as good in real life.

Remember Jose Dominguez, the ex-Spurs player really well as a mate at school had a weird obsession with him, he honestly thought he was one of the best players in the league but didn't get many chances.

I can recall a Ken Nethercott, goalie for Norwich City in the '50s, possibly a relation. He was in the canaries team who had a spectacular win over Arsenal in the FA Cup of that era.

Talking of Arsenal, anyone remember Don Roper I think it was, scoring direct from a corner. Don't hear of that very often.
  • Options
    Frank Bunn - Oldham.

Scored 6 goals in a league cup match against Scarborough early 90’s
  • Options
    Darren Purse.....need I say more.
  • Options
    Horst Siegl - Early Championship Manager Striker for me that I always followed, yet spent most of his days in the Bundesliga and Czech League
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kenny Achampong for his name
  • Options

Kenny Achampong for his name

Kumbaya.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Frank Bunn - Oldham.

Scored 6 goals in a league cup match against Scarborough early 90’s </blockquote

You can’t beat that for obscurity.

• Options
    Irving Natrass of Newcastle in the 1970s. As a kid collecting stickers his name just seemed weird.
    Also Kevin Keelan the Norwich keeper. Looked about 65 and couldn't figure out why it wasn't Keegan.
  • Options
    Alan Comfort - Leyton Orient. Late 80's they must have been on the television in a cup game and I remember my dad saying what a great player he was - now a vicar.
  • Options
    Harry Pell - remember seeing him play for us in the FA Youth Cup against a Spurs side that contained John Bostock and thinking when was the last time I saw a midfielder (think he played on the wing too) as tall as him (6' 7'') - reminded me a bit of Dick Tydeman who was a central midfielder but even he wasn't that tall.

I'm still struggling now to think of one and whilst he never played a first team game for us, he has worked his way, via Hastings, Bristol Rovers, Hereford, Cambridge, Wimbledon, Grimsby, Eastleigh and Cheltenham, to being a regular in League 2 promotion contenders Colchester .
  • Options
    Mark Wilson.
    He scored for us the only time I went to the Old Den (obviously Sheringham got a hat trick though) and I think he scored in the next game as well and then disappeared up his own bum hole.
    I think he was on loan from Man Utd??
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Mark Wilson.
    He scored for us the only time I went to the Old Den (obviously Sheringham got a hat trick though) and I think he scored in the next game as well and then disappeared up his own bum hole.
    I think he was on loan from Man Utd??

Tony Burman was a bit like that for me - was at The Den when he scored for us but I think he only played another dozen or so games for us.
  • Options
    Frankie Bunn. Scored six in one game for Oldham. It sticks in my mind. Without doing a Google search I know nothing else about him.