Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Obscure players you remember for weird reasons

Comments

• Options
    Always thought Hartlepool had a forward called Eddie Wardrobe but on checking, it was actually Barrie Wardrobe.
    Great name and probably a big unit as well.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I remember John Williams from Swansea because he won that player's sprint competition they ran at half time in the league cup one year.

That was a great idea by the way, they should bring it back.
  • Options

hawksmoor said:

Is Terry Brisley obscure? My reason for remembering him is hearing my dad shout, 'F*ck off back to Millwall, Brisley!' at one of the first games I went to.

I saw Terry Briskey a few years back in Braintree. He was in a bad way. Always pissed and shouting at buses. I hope he's got back on his feet.
    Blimey, didn't know that.

• Options
    Today's Div 2 80's randoms....in a 4-4-2;

GK = Stephen Pears (Middlesbrough)
    RB = Henry Hughton (Crystal Palace)
    LB = Kenny Wharton (Newcastle)
    CB = Mick McCarthy (Barnsley)
    CB = Derek Fazackerley (Blackburn)
    RW = Pat Nevin (Chelsea)
    CM = Ray Lewington (Fulham)
    CM = John Gregory (QPR)
    LW = Neil Smillie (Brighton)
    CF = Chic Bates (Shrewsbruy)
    CF = Imre Varadi (Sheff Weds)

Sub; John Trewick (Oxford Utd)

• Options
    re Len's comment:
    Wasn't Jim Ryan in the Old Bill or am I thinking of someone else?

Yeah. After playing for a few clubs Jim joined the police force. But he was a very straight kind of guy and found it hard to cope with the double standards that went on in the old bill. So he left and drank too much. Nice guy though. Liked him and thought he was a good player in his hey day. Played for Wales under 23's don'tcha know!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought Jimmy Leadbetter of Ipswich was a great shout. Saw him play at
    Highbury (Charlton must have been away that day) the year Ipswich won
    the old Division 1. He was nicknamed 'Sticks' on account of his matchstick
    like thin legs, under-rated player supplied many goals that season for Crawford and Phillips.
  • Options
    Enzo Francescoli is always one who will stand out for me, used to love playing Ultimate Soccer Manager 98 and he always used to play on into his late 40s, I remember 1 season he was still playing into his 50s.
  • Options

Enzo Francescoli is always one who will stand out for me, used to love playing Ultimate Soccer Manager 98 and he always used to play on into his late 40s, I remember 1 season he was still playing into his 50s.

Brilliant name from the past , my shit memory reckons he was Uruguayan and played in the exciting Mexico 1986 World Cup
    First World Cup I fully watched everything as I was taking my O-levels and not studying because I was gripped by it and the late kick off times killed me and my results , just 3 O-levels passed .
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    cabbles said:

MrLargo said:

Good memory @cabbles, I'd forgotten about the Chris Malkin transfer saga. Failed a medical after we'd agreed a fee of £400k I think.

I do remember that Curbs wanted Bierhoff. Front three of Bierhoff, Leaburn and Garry Nelson would have been alright!

Mate I think we were so starved of transfers back then as we had no money after going back to the valley, I clung to it all. I remember the excitement of getting that right back Matt Jackson for £250k in March 96
    Jackson was only a loan. We signed Bradley Allen and Chris Whyte around the same time.
  • Options

MrLargo said:

Tom Hovi, on loan with us, instrumental in ruining my 15th birthday by gifting Derby most of their goals as they came back from 3-1 down to beat us 4-3. Subsequently annoyed me further by constantly appearing in ITV Champions League matches for Rosenborg.

A trio of Port Vale players from the mid-90s. Paul Musselwhite, goalkeeper, annoying haircut. Martin Foyle, looked 55 for his entire career. Tony Naylor, looked like a scallywag, probably stole Rowntrees Fruit Pastilles from his local corner shop on a regular basis.

Joe Allon, former Newcastle player. His face annoyed me so much as a 6 year old that I ruined my completed 1986 Panini sticker album by putting a Dennis the Menace sticker over his face. Seems I'm not the only one who felt that way:

Luke Chadwick was the butt of many jokes at school for his unfortunate looks
    I remember him, since he played for Royal Antwer FC ... Nice guy ...
  • Options

I always remember Maurice Malpas and Stuart Nethercott because they were the the most common Proset card and Panini stickers respectively in a couple of different years.

Tons of Championship Manager/Football Manager players like Ibrahima Bakayoko and Cherno Samba who were never as good in real life.

Remember Jose Dominguez, the ex-Spurs player really well as a mate at school had a weird obsession with him, he honestly thought he was one of the best players in the league but didn't get many chances.

Stuart Nethercott is one of my mates uncles!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I always remember Maurice Malpas and Stuart Nethercott because they were the the most common Proset card and Panini stickers respectively in a couple of different years.

Tons of Championship Manager/Football Manager players like Ibrahima Bakayoko and Cherno Samba who were never as good in real life.

Remember Jose Dominguez, the ex-Spurs player really well as a mate at school had a weird obsession with him, he honestly thought he was one of the best players in the league but didn't get many chances.

I really didn't like him when I was about 12.

I'd spend 25p of my hard-earned pocket money on a pack of Panini stickers not daring to hope for a club crest shiny but at least hoping for no swapsies and there he would be again, Stuart bloody Nethercott.

Couldn't even swap him as everyone seemed to have about 14 Stuart Nethercotts.

I hated him and his stupid blonde curtains.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Does his name begin with R and from Orpington? Used to go to primary school with one of his nephews and his cousin, whose uncle was Tony Cascarino?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:

Phil Stamp. Had a face like a bag of smashed crabs.

Made me laugh simply because a mate of mine is from Middlesbrough and his wifi password is PHILSTAMP.
  • Options
    Kenny Deuchar because when Gretna were coming up through the Scottish leagues, he seemed to score every single week. Jeff Stelling went crazy every time he scored.
  • Options

He looks like Gary Busey's son!

• Options
    This was a team that was printed in The Grauniad after I sent to them.

The old 2-3-5 formation, of course

Judge
    Wood Gage
    Case Wright Orr
    Hunt Crooks Withe Speedie Carr
  • Options
    Eric Gates of Ipswich.

An ugly geezer with no teeth.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Bontcho Guentchev. Saw him score a hattrick against Grimsby for Ipswich. Still don't recall why I was there.

Used to use his awful goal celebration in 5 a side.
  • Options

Kenny Deuchar because when Gretna were coming up through the Scottish leagues, he seemed to score every single week. Jeff Stelling went crazy every time he scored.

The Good Doctor
  • Options
    Miguel De Souza - was a Peterborough striker on (I think) CM97/98 and he done wonders for me. Scored 20+ each season until we reached the prem and he was just too old for the step up.

Found out recently that he was the guy filmed negotiating a contract with Barry Fry in the Peterborough documentary of that season. They signed him to keep them up but think he only scored two in 12 in real life.
  • Options
    Cafcspud said:

Miguel De Souza - was a Peterborough striker on (I think) CM97/98 and he done wonders for me. Scored 20+ each season until we reached the prem and he was just too old for the step up.

Found out recently that he was the guy filmed negotiating a contract with Barry Fry in the Peterborough documentary of that season. They signed him to keep them up but think he only scored two in 12 in real life.

I always remember Sean St Ledger because of him being the cause of a big argument between Big Ron and the manager on one of those type of documentarys.
  • Options
    Gary Mabbutt, I grew up in Coventry and he scored the own goal for spurs that gave Cov their only ever FA cup in 1987. Gary Mabbut’s knee remains the name of a fan site.