Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Obscure players you remember for weird reasons

Comments

• In goal for Millwall was Hinton but I cann't remember their first names.

Think it was Ted Hinton (Millwall and Eire keeper just after WW2 and early
    50's. Knew this cause my old fella was a Millwall fan,
    but I thought Charlton were the better bet!
  • Cafcspud said:

Miguel De Souza - was a Peterborough striker on (I think) CM97/98 and he done wonders for me. Scored 20+ each season until we reached the prem and he was just too old for the step up.

Found out recently that he was the guy filmed negotiating a contract with Barry Fry in the Peterborough documentary of that season. They signed him to keep them up but think he only scored two in 12 in real life.

He was on Charlton’s books in the late 80’s.
  • As a kid, I used to collect Merlin Ultimate trading cards. Loved them!

But there were a few players who have stuck with me for no real reason, other than I thought the card was funny, or that the player looked nothing like a footballer:

• Jamie Pollock
  • David Hanson. Played for Halifax Town in 90s classic "Premier Manager 3" and he was mustard.
  • Ray Hiron, centre forward for Pompey. Long spindly bloke walked like a spider. And guess what, he always scored against us.
  • Cafcspud said:

Miguel De Souza - was a Peterborough striker on (I think) CM97/98 and he done wonders for me. Scored 20+ each season until we reached the prem and he was just too old for the step up.

Found out recently that he was the guy filmed negotiating a contract with Barry Fry in the Peterborough documentary of that season. They signed him to keep them up but think he only scored two in 12 in real life.

Isn't he part of our academy set up these days?
  • McBobbin said:

David Hanson. Played for Halifax Town in 90s classic "Premier Manager 3" and he was mustard.

Mike Sheron of Norwich would always destroy me
  • Stéphane Zeusnagapa Pounewatchy

He had the widest backside of any footballer I've ever seen. Went from S.France to Burgundy then onto Carlisle. Poor bloke.

Warren Aspinall. Had a great season getting Villa back into the top flight, then spat at another player in pre season. Graham Taylor sold him immediately after that and he never looked like he'd make it again. Both played for Carlisle after their mid-90's talented young team was broken up. Both were too good for what I remember as awful Carlisle teams: They did win the FLT but who remembers?
  • Today's randoms are Fulham full-backs;

Richard Money
    Les Strong
    Jeff Hopkins
    Kevin Locke
    Wayne Kerrins
    John Dreyer
    Cliff Carr
  • Sponsored links:

• Chris balderstone and willie Carlin
  • Gordon Pulley of Gillingham. Went there as a ten year old and was by the corner flag watching him take the corners. Just remembered the name as you do as a ten year old.
  • Reuben Agboola - played a couple of average games on loan for us in 1986, and for some strange reason I always followed his career after that.
  • Dominic Blizzard for ending Grant Basey's career.
  • edited November 2018
    Emeka Ifijiagwa just for his name and playing in ONE PSF. Against maybe welling?

Was it Marvin ?
    Or am I getting him mixed up with someone else ?

Was it Marvin ?
    Or am I getting him mixed up with someone else ?
    Marvin Hinton played centre half for us late fifties early sixties. Got transferred to Chelsea c 1963 for £40K and made the initial squad of 40 for the 1966 World Cup but not the final 22.
  • Talal said:

Ian Ormandroyd. Strange name and strange looking footballer. Also thought the pose they used for the pro set cards was a little odd too...

6ft 6inch left winger if I remember rightly
  • Enoch Showunmi - A guy that seemed to appear as if by magic every time my mate & I played golf, my mate was a Tranmere fan and every time this guy saw us at the golf course he would ask my friend "how's Enoch & his big cock?"... was bizarre
  • MrLargo said:

Jonathan Acworth could make some valuable contributions to this thread. Used to enjoy reading his monthly scouting report in VOTV of non-League players that Curbs needed to sign as a matter of urgency before Barcelona came and snapped them up.

Steve somebody? Portaway? Played for Gravesend, ended up losing an eye IIRC.
    Steve Portway is his name. He scored a ton of goals for Gravesend & Northfleet and was very close to signing for Charlton at one point.

There is a good article which includes an interview with the man here:

https://nonleaguefootball.club/2010/12/09/non-league-legend-steve-portway/
    Scored for the reserves a few times
  • Sponsored links:

• Alan Kimble at Wimbledon. Fuck knows why.

Maybe coz both brothers once played for us!
  • Today's randoms are Fulham centre-backs;

Tony Gale
    Roger Brown
    Jeff Hopkins
    Paul Parker
    Ernie Howe
    John Lacey
    Jeff Eckhardt
    Jim Hicks
  • If the conversation ever creeps around to Charlton when visiting the fam then my little sister always asks me if Ben Gotobed has made it into the first team.
    If memory serves he was a young GK on our books probably in the early nineties.

He never made it, he’s probably still asleep...
  • Fumbluff said:

Mark Wilson.
    He scored for us the only time I went to the Old Den (obviously Sheringham got a hat trick though) and I think he scored in the next game as well and then disappeared up his own bum hole.
    I think he was on loan from Man Utd??

Played for Bristol Rovers too
  • A couple of years back we lost 4-3 at Shrewsbury in the first round of the league cup, we had a fella called Holden play who I think was on loan. That, I'm sure, was his entire Charlton career. I felt for a while this was obscure as it got, although the Checkatrade cup probably adds a new dimension of anonymity, 8-0 wins excepted.
  • A couple of years back we lost 4-3 at Shrewsbury in the first round of the league cup, we had a fella called Holden play who I think was on loan. That, I'm sure, was his entire Charlton career. I felt for a while this was obscure as it got, although the Checkatrade cup probably adds a new dimension of anonymity, 8-0 wins excepted.

That's Luke Holden, although I thought his only appearance was against Southampton in the Check a trade trophy, or whatever it was called then. Set up Leon Mackenzie for a late consolation goal.

That Shrewsbury game you refer to I think featured Wade Small and a South African bloke called Bailly something making their only appearances.

Bally Smart.
  • Thanks....confused my obscurities there :-)
  • Thanks....confused my obscurities there :-)

There was also a Holden who was similarly anonymous . I saw his brief career but cannot for the life of me remember exactly when it was.
  • LenGlover said:

Thanks....confused my obscurities there :-)

There was also a Holden who was similarly anonymous . I saw his brief career but cannot for the life of me remember exactly when it was.
    He got am assist for our only goal in a dig awful game v Southampton. We signed him from Rhyl. Luke Holden and I thought he was the best player that night which says a lot about us and cup competitions