Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Oxford - Post Match Views

12346»

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Ironic that we didn't win because Robinson got his tactics right. I don't recall him ever setting us up in that way, to be tight and niggly. Other than the goals and penalty foul, those Sky highlights only show one other shot, a sign of how scratchy the game was
  • Options
    Greenie said:

My first game for a boycotting eternity, got a freebie, so went along.
    Christ that was awful, hoof ball for 70 minutes, head tennis for 10 minutes, and 10 minutes being bullied off the ball by Robinsons rugby team, I guess I've not missed much, so I dont feel as bad about staying away. However I understand we played well on Saturday.
    Bow should have made a couple of subs around the 65 mins mark, no plan B.
    Such a shame to see the valley empty.

Sell the club you fucktard.

That performance was nothing like how we've been playing, we've been playing some great attacking football this season, it's defensive vulnerabilities which have cost us points.
  • Options

For me it had to be bad for Ricky Holmes to feel the need to remain by his side and for two physios to have to tend to him

The fact as well that the fourth official was apparently telling the referee to stop the game says it all

The attitude within sport towards head injueies really pisses me off. Sometimes you need to err on the side of caution.

It's not something that should be taken lightly as I'm sure any neurologist would tell you.
  • Options

For me it had to be bad for Ricky Holmes to feel the need to remain by his side and for two physios to have to tend to him

The fact as well that the fourth official was apparently telling the referee to stop the game says it all

The attitude within sport towards head injueies really pisses me off. Sometimes you need to err on the side of caution.

It's not something that should be taken lightly as I'm sure any neurologist would tell you.
    Yeah its what annoyed me the most about the whole incident - There are endless arguments about heading the ball / concussion these days about how it can affect players later in life, yet yesterday was completely ignored
  • Options

Nearly had a evening off work for this
    So could have been worse
    For me at least

Had a 5 hour drive back from Dorset and didn't get home till well after 6pm. Knackered so decided not to go - looks like I dodged a bullet. Have a feeling we are going to see more than few games like this. When we get in front we must force the play and get another. Once teams like Oxford go two down they usually throw in the towel.

• Options
    PWR

Well the one positive is that we didn't lose I suppose and that is only down to Oxford being as inept as we were.

Strange muted atmosphere last night. Holmes was compared to a lady's front bottom and roundly booed. Not sure why as he gave everything when he played for us and my understanding was that Roland sold him rather than he actively sought a move but Charlton fans love a scapegoat don't they? I clapped him and am not ashamed to admit it.

Robbo got a chorus of 'sacked in the morning' as well as also being called a lady's front bottom and accused of self abuse which allegedly generates blindness and strong forearms. Par for the course and fair enough given the bull he came out with towards the end of his reign if you can call it that.

First half we played some decent stuff but the bottom line is that we didn't really work Eastwood with crosses going out of play or into empty spaces. The penalty was very welcome because otherwise I think we would have struggled to score at all.

Second half frankly was probably the worst half I've seen from us all season. We barely turned up exemplified by an incident when Steer cleared the ball down to the halfway line and 3, yes 3, Oxford players challenged and 0, yes 0, Charlton players! An Oxford equaliser or worse was inevitable the only consolation was that Ricky Holmes didn't score it. It was all starting to look a bit Coventrylike.

The great Curbs always said never get too excited with a win or despondent with a loss but any team with serious promotion aspirations, either automatically or via the play-offs, would have beaten that Oxford team last night. They were no great shakes and we should have done better.

• Options

Greenie said:

Christ that was awful, hoof ball for 70 minutes, head tennis for 10 minutes, and 10 minutes being bullied off the ball by Robinsons rugby team, I guess I've not missed much, so I dont feel as bad about staying away. However I understand we played well on Saturday.

That performance was nothing like how we've been playing, we've been playing some great attacking football this season, it's defensive vulnerabilities which have cost us points.
    Fair enough mate. But I did mention last saturdays game in my post.
    Lets hope the real CAFC turn up on Saturday.
  • Options
    Just played last nights game on fm19.

Ring any bells?
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Agree apart from I thought that was a good crowd compared to recently
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yeah its what annoyed me the most about the whole incident - There are endless arguments about heading the ball / concussion these days about how it can affect players later in life, yet yesterday was completely ignored
    It's not helped by players pretending to have head injuries when the opponents are in a great attacking position. There are definitely times when players go down in front of the goal clutching their heads, to get play stopped when the opponents are threatening to score.
  • Options

It's not helped by players pretending to have head injuries when the opponents are in a great attacking position. There are definitely times when players go down in front of the goal clutching their heads, to get play stopped when the opponents are threatening to score.
    I agree with your comment but Cullen was completely flattened about 2 yards away from the ref who saw it clearly - it's fortunate there wasn't an injury.
  • Options
    I thought the ref was looking the other way at the time but have many watched it back.

Although he didn’t crack down enough in Oxford’s niggles, I thought he was generally one of the better refs I’ve seen. Which probably is a testament to how godawful shite the rest are.
  • Options

sm said:

Fosu and Aribo need to appreciate that joined up thinking is needed as well as individual skills to make a midfield work.

Aribo has been decent this year from what I've seen. Not sure how Fosu fits into a diamond. Ward may be a better option.
    No denying that both of them have lots of ability and skill - but both tend to be out thought by more experienced midfield players as each game goes, and as a result they drift out of games for long stretches. Rather than trying to get back into the game by trying the over fancy and complicated they should try a bit more straightforward passing and movement. There is a reason why we seem to lose control of games towards their end. A lot of this is just inexperience - but they could learn a lot by watching Josh Cullen and listening to Lee Bowyer.

Just an opinion - but something is definitely not working at present.

• Options
    I thought we lacked the spark we had against Barnsley hence a poor result against another side we should beat easily, that said Robinson, knowing the players, set Oxford up to nullify a lot of what we do as a team but no doubt he won the tactical battle, hard as that is to say. And for the second time in three games the other teams substitute made the difference by scoring, why haven't we got that option.

I thought Solly in particular had a great game and also Dijksteel impressed me he is a strong boy with decent pace. Overall we looked flat and uninspired, not helped by the referee bottling the red card that Dickie should have received after his foul on Taylor. This season is already looking like another failure to get promotion unless something fundamental changes, it has to be said if we cannot achieve that, given the pretty average standard of this league and that is being kind, then we are stuck in this division for the foreseeable. Having said that there is a long way to go but right now my optimism levels are not that high.

With regard to the Ricky Holmes comments, well he was the same irritating, busy little bugger he always was difference is when he was here we loved him for it. I don't get this idea that he is "greedy" because he went to a club in a higher league for more money. I changed jobs half a dozen times, always for more money nobody accused me of being greedy just taking a good opportunity when offered. From a footballing perspective it wasn't a great move and at his age he should have realised that he had reached his level, now he is on loan to a smaller club who have very little to fight for other than avoiding relegation, but no doubt he is financially better off and I for one don't blame him for that.

All in all a very disappointing night following a really good performance on Saturday, consistency is the key and right now we lack it.
  • Options

I know and I'm glad its been covered in this thread about the completely embarrassing and classless treatment of Ricky Holmes by some of our support but just felt the need to echo others on this thread.

yeah he was infuriating near the end especially when he held on to the ball for too long but Holmes was a talisman for a lot of the time he was with us when we had no one else.

there was many a game where he would be our only threat. most of us used to say 'if we didn't have Holmes god only knows where we would be' after he had saved yet another game for us.

he made the decision to leave to go and play (possibly his only chance to play because of his age) in a higher division with a manager who had expressed a lot of interest in him. also to leave the mad house of the Valley where the promise of further players to support Holmes at the start of that seasons campaign never materialised.

the only thing that lets him down is he went back to a team with Karl Robinson.

I clapped him when he went off and if he ever reads this I wish him well and thank him for the games where he was a hero for us addicks.

Holmes was one of our best players of recent years and to hear him so roundly abused was pretty saddening.
  • Options

Well poised for an asault on the play offs.

Next season?
  • Options
    Did Cullen complete the match?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Did Cullen complete the match?

Yes. He had treatment and came back on.
  • Options

Ironic that we didn't win because Robinson got his tactics right. I don't recall him ever setting us up in that way, to be tight and niggly. Other than the goals and penalty foul, those Sky highlights only show one other shot, a sign of how scratchy the game was

He actually played those tactics well a few times for us-Wigan away last season springs to mind and one of his first games away at Bradford...
  • Options
    Sage said:

You can’t blame the referee for the poor performance and not winning last night but you can definitely blame him for the goal we conceded.

Having seen the clip back, he looked right at the incident and straight away Cullen goes down hard on the ground and holds his head, the referee looks and decides to carry on. He then had the fourth official telling him to stop the game due to a head injury, he ignored this too. Holmes done the decent thing and stayed with Cullen and didn’t celebrate with his teammates.

The fact of the matter is, we were lucky that the injury was not serious because the time it took between the incident and the the medical team finally getting on and treating him could’ve been so important.

At the end of it, the referee was a disgrace and did not follow to laws of the game, he did not protect the players which is the first and highest priority when officiating. He failed that aspect and for me should be punished for it. And I am a referee myself and have been embarrassed this season at the standard of refereeing. I am not scared to criticise someone who is clearly not very good or competent at what they are meant to be doing and especially when that profession is something I am also qualified to do.

No we didn’t do well enough throughout the game, yes the goal they scored was a fluke and they done a job on us throughout the match too. But the goal should never have been allowed to happen and therefore, the referee should not be exempt to criticism.
    It was a shocking piece of refereeing particularly given he was about two yards away from the incident. As you say we're just lucky it wasn't serious.

I hope he's spoken to regarding this.
  • Options
    HandG said:

He actually played those tactics well a few times for us-Wigan away last season springs to mind and one of his first games away at Bradford...
    True, I forgot about the Wigan game, thinking back it was odd that we could hold the best team in the division, but looked so vulnerable at the back against most other teams
  • Options

Sage said:

You can’t blame the referee for the poor performance and not winning last night but you can definitely blame him for the goal we conceded.

Having seen the clip back, he looked right at the incident and straight away Cullen goes down hard on the ground and holds his head, the referee looks and decides to carry on. He then had the fourth official telling him to stop the game due to a head injury, he ignored this too. Holmes done the decent thing and stayed with Cullen and didn’t celebrate with his teammates.

The fact of the matter is, we were lucky that the injury was not serious because the time it took between the incident and the the medical team finally getting on and treating him could’ve been so important.

At the end of it, the referee was a disgrace and did not follow to laws of the game, he did not protect the players which is the first and highest priority when officiating. He failed that aspect and for me should be punished for it. And I am a referee myself and have been embarrassed this season at the standard of refereeing. I am not scared to criticise someone who is clearly not very good or competent at what they are meant to be doing and especially when that profession is something I am also qualified to do.

No we didn’t do well enough throughout the game, yes the goal they scored was a fluke and they done a job on us throughout the match too. But the goal should never have been allowed to happen and therefore, the referee should not be exempt to criticism.
    It was a shocking piece of refereeing particularly given he was about two yards away from the incident. As you say we're just lucky it wasn't serious.

I hope he's spoken to regarding this.
    No excuses for a disappointing display against a well organised and 'niggly' Oxford, but that refereeing display from Dean Whitestone was genuinely one of the worst I have ever seen!

It came straight out of the 'Trevor Kettle Book of Utterly Inept Refereeing'.