Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Oxford - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options

Bowyer bottled it and held on for a point.....WTF???

What else would you call bringing on a CB/Defensive midfielder when you should be going for the jugular?

We needed more attacking impetus and he brought on Bielik.
  • Options
    i think towards the end we were lucky to get a point barnsley and oxford you would be happy with 4 points just would of expected the results the other way round, think we will win at rochdale seems to be the way we do it, pompey away could be a turning point im hopeful it is on the saturday as the crowd does seem to have an affect on the players, on a sep note about chants were on our way and allez allez allez i find a tad embarassing.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    With no less than 41 free-kicks – almost equally divided between the teams – there was rarely any fluency in this fragmented game. Oxford had 10 per cent more possession and played far better than their lowly position would suggest. Certainly they posed more of an attacking threat than Barnsley last Saturday.

We exposed Oxford on the flanks in the first half and Taylor fired low crosses without the essential connection. Another tempting cross from Taylor in the second half invited Grant to launch himself for a diving header. He might learn from the great Paul Walsh! As usual, a midfield of Aribo, Fosu, Reeves and Cullen provided a sprinkling of deft touches but lacked the muscular authority to set up attacking moves consistently throughout the 90 minutes.

Despite the frustrations, the game held my attention with tussles, disputes and minor dramas. Having committed a foul that may have deserved a second yellow, the Oxford No. 4 lost the plot and ranted at the ref and the lino – then had an altercation with a team-mate when being subbed for his own protection. And a comical vignette near the end: three Oxford men challenged for the same high ball, which eluded them all and fell for us.

Did we manage an attempt on target in the entire second half? With almost a third of the season played, Bowyer’s aim of automatic promotion looks beyond us. Embedding ourselves in the play-off places will be a tough enough task.
  • Options
    When Robinson come to the Bromley Branch last season he did talk about using the Sam Allardyce tactic he learned of reducing the game down to 70-80 minutes by dragging out dead play/fouls etc to get the better of a more capable side. Tonights match felt like that, disrupt and kill play and then take the one chance you get.
  • Options
    uie2 said:

Why does Bowyer keep changing a winning team!!!?? Ward excellent against Barnsley Saturday is when on the bench last night! It doesn't make sense !

Except that Ward said in his web interview that he struggles to play 90 minutes back-to-back, and expects to swap in/out with Fosu. Likewise Beilik (sp?), with no game time since his injury (bench only in international break), would have been a risk to start after his cramp on Saturday. When Beilik came on last night it became apparent that Bow had settled for a draw.
  • Options
    We've played eight home and six away so far so standing 11th in the table suggests we're distinctly average. 4 points so far in October with the last three games having been at home is a bit worrying.

Three of our next four games are away so we need to start winning on the road.

We seem to be playing more attractive football this season but not getting the results.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    My first game for a boycotting eternity, got a freebie, so went along.
    Christ that was awful, hoof ball for 70 minutes, head tennis for 10 minutes, and 10 minutes being bullied off the ball by Robinsons rugby team, I guess I've not missed much, so I dont feel as bad about staying away. However I understand we played well on Saturday.
    Bow should have made a couple of subs around the 65 mins mark, no plan B.
    Such a shame to see the valley empty.

Sell the club you fucktard.
  • Options

https://www.skysports.com/football/charlton-vs-oxford-utd/393266

couple of observations for their goal.

1) Ref is 2 yards away from Cullen,Holmes collision (not a foul though just a coming together).

2) Solly out of position doesn't need to close player down Pearce is there.

3) Steer should not get beaten from there

In fairness to the ref, there is absolutely nothing in that clip to suggest it was a head injury
  • Options
    Thought yesterday was a dreadful game to watch - far to bitty with not enough quality.
  • Options
    Scrappy game with lots of disruptions.
    Both sides a real lack of quality I thought, especially in the final third. Our final ball at times was terrible.
    Fosu will get a lot of the stick, but thought he worked hard, he needs to address a real lack of confidence which is badly affecting his decision making. Thought Aribo's distribution just as bad, another whose confidence looks shot atm.
    In positive news, Taylor is exceptional, can't believe how lucky we were to pick him up on a free.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Aribo was as poor as I have seen him yesterday. A player with his ability should have at least got a shot in in the first half but his touch was atrocious. I felt sorry for Taylor as he had no help at all and scared the life out of them on his own.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

1) Ref is 2 yards away from Cullen,Holmes collision (not a foul though just a coming together).

In fairness to the ref, there is absolutely nothing in that clip to suggest it was a head injury
    Disagree - the player went down like a ton of bricks so I would have expected the ref to err on the side of caution. The ref was about two yards away from the incident.

I'm unclear how in a split second the ref managed to ascertain there wasn't a head injury.
  • Options
    I can't blame the ref for that one. I think if we want to blame the ref for yesterday, we are looking in the wrong direction.
  • Options

We've played eight home and six away so far so standing 11th in the table suggests we're distinctly average. 4 points so far in October with the last three games having been at home is a bit worrying.

Three of our next four games are away so we need to start winning on the road.

We seem to be playing more attractive football this season but not getting the results.

Assuming Pompey don't called off for internationals.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    The standard of refrees seems to be getting more and more crap every single year.
  • Options

I can't blame the ref for that one. I think if we want to blame the ref for yesterday, we are looking in the wrong direction.

I'm not blaming the ref for the result I'm just saying he was at fault here regardless of whether Oxford scored following this. I'd say the same thing if an Oxford player had been flattened.

I don't think the issue of head injuries is taken seriously enough. I'm unclear how the ref decided there hadn't been a head injury?
  • Options
    It wasn't immediately clear it was a head injury to me - so I cant blame the ref.
  • Options

It wasn't immediately clear it was a head injury to me - so I cant blame the ref.

The ref has a duty of care to the players - if he thinks there is a chance of a head injury he should stop the f***ing game. If it turned out Cullen had had a head injury what would you be saying?

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Did he? If it didn't look like a head injury you have to excuse him. I don't want play stopped every time a player goes down. It is down to the refs judgement and seeing as Cullen played on , his judgement was probably right.
  • Options

Did he?

No he didn't but how the f**k can you deduce this based on guesswork? Maybe the ref is a lot cleverer than I think? I don't think head injuries are taken particularly seriously in sport and I don't suppose this will change.

We won't agree on this one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we had got a point against Barnsley and a win last night most would have taken that so we are pretty much where we thought we would be. Win on Saturday and it's been a good week.

Thought it was poor up until we scored, once that happened we took control but did not test the keeper.

Reeves played well. Fosu run into too many blind alleys.

The 2 players rested were missed but with their injury records it's a needs must. Having a fully fit squad in place for the 1st day of pre season makes a big difference to how you build a successful season, with our owner we can only dream of that being reality
  • Options
    Reeves' set piece delivery was fine. What you meant to say is that on one occasion he shot instead of crossing it. But everything he sent into the box was decent
  • Options
    Why were some twats booing Holmes? Head and shoulders above everything else on show , and he’s not fit. Apparently Bowyer turned him down as he said we don’t need him. If that’s true, sums it all up for me.
    Fosu thinks he’s better than he is. Not sure we get many good results with him in the side.
    Taylor on the other hand looks better by the game.
    For me, jury is out on LB. Fosu should not have appeared second half, we won’t beat Oxford with 10 men.
  • Options

Holmes is a class A bellend

The only reason I kept coming to the valley was Ricky Holmes. He decided at 30 he had one chance to play in the championship. Under Slade and Robinson he was the one shining light, with Fosu occasionally

Comparing Holmes to the childish dummy spitting of Scott Parker was a joke.
    Well said Sam my feelings exactly! Didn't like the booing of him.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Disagree.The ref had plenty of time to check back and see Holmes calling for a member of medical staff to come on...
  • Options
    uie2 said:

Why does Bowyer keep changing a winning team!!!?? Ward excellent against Barnsley Saturday is when on the bench last night! It doesn't make sense !

Because Ward and Bielik aren't fit and can't play Saturday Tuesday Saturday at the moment! Shame but fact
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Reeves' set piece delivery was fine. What you meant to say is that on one occasion he shot instead of crossing it. But everything he sent into the box was decent

I think his delivery is not challenging for defenders - he doesn't whip it in or pick out a man.
  • Options
    Warned in the pre match that was a danger of it being an "after the Lord Mayor's show" performance and it was. Forced changes didn't help. Neither did the fact of how much energy the players exerted Saturday, which was massive. No doubt a poor performance but I do sympathise with Bowyer who has few real options.

Credit to Robinson. Tactics spot on. Pushed up on our defenders so we couldn't play out from the back, then at the right time sat deep meaning Grant's and Taylor's pace was nullified. Also meant we were very stretched at times.

Ref diabolical and didn't have a clue. However don't blame him for us not winning
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Croydon said:

Disagree - the player went down like a ton of bricks so I would have expected the ref to err on the side of caution. The ref was about two yards away from the incident.

I'm unclear how in a split second the ref managed to ascertain there wasn't a head injury.
    Dazzler21 said:

Croydon said:

Disagree.The ref had plenty of time to check back and see Holmes calling for a member of medical staff to come on...
    Cullen didn't hold his head, nor did he go down like a ton of bricks. The ref actually takes a long look at it and in my opinion, rightly decides that play should continue. Being 2 yards away, he would have had a much better idea of how heavy a challenge was than us in the stands.

I've got no interest in seeing play stopped every time there is 50/50 challenge. If that had been the other way round and we'd be been blown up mid attack we'd be seething!
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Croydon said:

Dazzler21 said:

Croydon said:

Cullen didn't hold his head, nor did he go down like a ton of bricks. The ref actually takes a long look at it and in my opinion, rightly decides that play should continue. Being 2 yards away, he would have had a much better idea of how heavy a challenge that was than us in the stands.

I've got no interest in seeing play stopped every time there is 50/50 challenge. If that had been the other way round and we'd be been blown up mid attack we'd be seething!
    Cullen was flattened as you can see in the video.

The ref didn't have a long look unless you think a glance is a long look.

Whether or not a player holds his head is not really a measure of anything.

Sport does not have a good record of dealing with head injuries and I think people are pretty glib about them. I thought the ref was negligent in not stopping play in this instance.