Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Failing to name driver prosecution

Comments

• Options
    As this thread has turned into a mental health discussion I will share this with you -

Used to have dealings with a doctor who had to arbitrate on ill-health retirement claims, many of which were based on grounds of depression, which to qualify had to be permanent conditions. His experience, rightly or wrongly, was that stress related depression was often the result of having multiple sources of stress e.g debt, work, marital etc. His view was that we can normally handle stress from one source, but not if it is coming from all directions. If the cause of stress related depression could be cured in his view by addressing the multiple sources of stress, he would refuse the claim on the grounds it was a treatable condition.
  • Options

Not all mental health issues are stress related. Certainly stress can have an detrimental input but there are many people with very deep seated problems caused by practically any reason you can think of.

Not all our brains are wired the same. Not all of us deal with things either well or in the same way. Not all of us have had bad or traumatic experiences.

You need to walk in someone’s shoes before you judge or trivialise their problems based upon your own strengths and weaknesses.

And you also need to accept that sometimes people use mental health as an excuse when it's not appropriate to do so. We all judge - sometimes we get it wrong.

• Options
    Good post Shootie
  • Options

Guys,

Be a bit more considerate and a bit less chippy.

We're all pissed off with the non-takeover but because you don't have an issue with something doesnt mean others don't and vice versa.

Tell that to Chinese Stu.
    I'm English.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Guys,

Be a bit more considerate and a bit less chippy.

We're all pissed off with the non-takeover but because you don't have an issue with something doesnt mean others don't and vice versa.

#fakemod

:wink:
    He hasn’t got what it takes to join the top table
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Far more risky are the arseholes on their phones with impunity or dicking about with phones acting as satnavs or dash cams or all the other shite people have.

can you please explain the problem with using phone for navigation?

It's illegal

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/satnav-mobile-phone-drivers-illegal-police-fine-200-npc-bank-holiday-roads-gps-a7912191.html
    Except it's not illegal. It is illegal to handle your mobile device whilst driving. If it's set up as a sat nav and you don't touch it, it's 100% legal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A nurse friend of mine (I am not a nurse just in case any if you were wondering) already had 9 points on her licence and got caught going through two cans on the M1 smart motorway section. This accrued a further 6 points. She attended court with a solicitor and sue to the potential impact to her and the NHS she was given a £600 fine but allowed to keep her licence which now has 15 points on it.

Nice to see Mrs Parkes taking some time off from her vol-au-vents to explore other opportunities.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Notwithstanding any mental health issues, at the end of the day there are consequences for all our actions and the individuals concerned will have to bear the responsibilities for their decisions (or lack thereof). It is though sad that a person not prepared to open their own post does not have the support of someone willing to do it for them.

As has already been alluded to, the Courts are all to familiar with individuals blaming their mental health problems such as depression for their behaviour and whether or not they are fit to stand trial. To the extent that it has become the default defence position in many types of trials; particularly fraud for some reason.

In the main a Judge will have no truck with it and often a court-appointed psychiatrist will examine the defendant to see whether they are fit to stand trial/plea. The psychiatrist will often conclude the defendant is malingering (in the legal definition of the word).

Of course there are cases where a deeply psychotic individual may not be fit to stand trial but that is a double-edged sword as they will usually be sent to a high-security unit on an indefinite hospital order. That would not be something your average malingerer would consider to be a risk worth taking I would think.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Addickted said:

Far more risky are the arseholes on their phones with impunity or dicking about with phones acting as satnavs or dash cams or all the other shite people have.

It's illegal

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/satnav-mobile-phone-drivers-illegal-police-fine-200-npc-bank-holiday-roads-gps-a7912191.html
    Except it's not illegal. It is illegal to handle your mobile device whilst driving. If it's set up as a sat nav and you don't touch it, it's 100% legal.
    Theeenorth clearly said people dicking around with their phones, which I'd assume involves touching them
  • Options

It seems that some of the younger generation believe that if you "bury your head in the sand" it will all go away.

I respectfully suggest that your friend learns his lesson and isn't as foolish again.

Have you never been stressed before? There are many people with mental health problems who cannot face opening post - particularly with depression.

Really annoying post.
    Having serious mental health problems and being a bit stressed are entirely different. If you ignore things they don't go away.

You have to take responsibility sometimes and face up to things - if you don't the outcome will invariably be worse.
    POINT------------------>

--------YOUR HEAD

Stress is the leading cause of depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts.

Whilst suffering from a mental health related condition you are unlikely to be able to see and understand things that may otherwise seem obvious when you are in a state of positive mental health.

Don't talk down someone else's mental well-being if you don't know the facts of their situation.

I won't assume he was stressed or was not, however am just highlighting stress is a leading cause of some of the worst mental illnesses.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

It seems that some of the younger generation believe that if you "bury your head in the sand" it will all go away.

I respectfully suggest that your friend learns his lesson and isn't as foolish again.

Have you never been stressed before? There are many people with mental health problems who cannot face opening post - particularly with depression.

Really annoying post.
    Having serious mental health problems and being a bit stressed are entirely different. If you ignore things they don't go away.

You have to take responsibility sometimes and face up to things - if you don't the outcome will invariably be worse.
    Sure if you ignore things they don't go away. But the point I was making is that some people with mental health problems cannot face opening post etc. I thought the comment about it being 'youngsters burying their head in the sand' showed a lack of awareness (quite possibly because the poster had never felt any level of stress). Then to follow it with the patronising 'I respectfully suggest....' finished his thoughtless, pompous post off nicely.
    Yet their mental health issues allows them to drive a vehicle, fill it up with fuel, get it serviced, insure and tax it, get it's MOT?

Sorry don't buy that. If they cannot open their mail then they're not fit to make the instantaneous decisions we have to make on our daily drives.
    You really don’t have any understanding of what mental health issues mean do you ?

Well I certainly don't consider not opening your mail a mental health issue.

Unless they don't open any of their mail and that wasn't the suggestion by the OP
    Not opening mail is not a mental health issue. The reason why the mail is not opened might well be.

I find it amazing that anyone can glibly pass off people’s problems that they have no idea about in the blasé way you have.

So are all our lives problems mental health issues?

We all have problems and issues with modern life, very minor problems to some people but a major problem for the individual. Since when have they all been diagnosed as 'mental health' issues?

Seek help or deal with it yourself, but don't start screaming mental health when you have one of a myriad of problems thrown at you on a regular basis as you go through life.

I can assure you that I'm not responding to this in a 'blasé way' as you suggest.
    This kind of post is why Mental Health continues to be a taboo subject to many and why sufferers often don't come forward and seek help sooner.

It's pathetic really when otherwise respectable posters start posting inflammatory shit just because they don't understand a situation.

I feel like Charlton Athletic, Charlton Life and all things Charlton related are tainted at the moment.

Take a step back from arguing and maybe even Charlton for a moment.

Lets all focus on positives for a while and things may start to feel positive too.

That's mindfulness by the way, a huge part of avoiding mental health issues.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Addickted said:

It's illegal

Theeenorth clearly said people dicking around with their phones, which I'd assume involves touching them
    Good point. Was catching up on this thread. It was Addickted that called it illegal.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Addickted said:

It's illegal

With their dicks though, not with their hands and there's nothing i the rule that says you can't do that
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Really annoying post.

POINT------------------>

--------YOUR HEAD

Stress is the leading cause of depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts.

Whilst suffering from a mental health related condition you are unlikely to be able to see and understand things that may otherwise seem obvious when you are in a state of positive mental health.

Don't talk down someone else's mental well-being if you don't know the facts of their situation.

I won't assume he was stressed or was not, however am just highlighting stress is a leading cause of some of the worst mental illnesses.
    It's patronising to assume everyone with a mental health condition is unable to take responsibility for their actions. There's a whole range of mental health conditions which vary massively in their impact.

I've seen the worst effects of mental health conditions when working in hospital and I've also seen people using it as an excuse for their behaviour. I'm not going to treat everyone as a victim.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

As this thread has turned into a mental health discussion I will share this with you -

Used to have dealings with a doctor who had to arbitrate on ill-health retirement claims, many of which were based on grounds of depression, which to qualify had to be permanent conditions. His experience, rightly or wrongly, was that stress related depression was often the result of having multiple sources of stress e.g debt, work, marital etc. His view was that we can normally handle stress from one source, but not if it is coming from all directions. If the cause of stress related depression could be cured in his view by addressing the multiple sources of stress, he would refuse the claim on the grounds it was a treatable condition.

Really interesting I have been told similar by Mental Health councillors and other professionals.

Stress of one situation can feel uncomfortable.
    Stress from several situations can feel unbearable and if that's you, seek some advice.

(Dazzler spamming this thread is done)
  • Options

So - go on the jam roll, dump the missus and cancel your credit cards?

Seems legit!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Really annoying post.

Sure if you ignore things they don't go away. But the point I was making is that some people with mental health problems cannot face opening post etc. I thought the comment about it being 'youngsters burying their head in the sand' showed a lack of awareness (quite possibly because the poster had never felt any level of stress). Then to follow it with the patronising 'I respectfully suggest....' finished his thoughtless, pompous post off nicely.
    Yet their mental health issues allows them to drive a vehicle, fill it up with fuel, get it serviced, insure and tax it, get it's MOT?

Sorry don't buy that. If they cannot open their mail then they're not fit to make the instantaneous decisions we have to make on our daily drives.
    You really don’t have any understanding of what mental health issues mean do you ?

Unless they don't open any of their mail and that wasn't the suggestion by the OP
    Not opening mail is not a mental health issue. The reason why the mail is not opened might well be.

I find it amazing that anyone can glibly pass off people’s problems that they have no idea about in the blasé way you have.

We all have problems and issues with modern life, very minor problems to some people but a major problem for the individual. Since when have they all been diagnosed as 'mental health' issues?

Seek help or deal with it yourself, but don't start screaming mental health when you have one of a myriad of problems thrown at you on a regular basis as you go through life.

I can assure you that I'm not responding to this in a 'blasé way' as you suggest.
    This kind of post is why Mental Health continues to be a taboo subject to many and why sufferers often don't come forward and seek help sooner.

It's pathetic really when otherwise respectable posters start posting inflammatory shit just because they don't understand a situation.

I feel like Charlton Athletic, Charlton Life and all things Charlton related are tainted at the moment.

Lets all focus on positives for a while and things may start to feel positive too.

Think I'll just stop commenting on mental health issues in future - I'm obviously out of my depth with my Victorian views and lack of experience.

I assume we all deal with stress in a different way. I just see it as my stress to deal with - and agree that mindfulness helps me. Lucky to have a strong character that enables me to deal with this I suppose.

I do find it amusing at the abuse I've got on here blasé, pathetic, inflammatory - good job I don't have any mental health issues. Two way street guys.

How about educate rather than abuse those whose understanding is limited?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Addickted said:

It's illegal

Good point. Was catching up on this thread. It was Addickted that called it illegal.
    No - I provided a link to an article in the Independent where a Police Chief confirmed that 'Drivers are being warned that using a mobile phone to navigate in the car could lead to a ban and a £200 fine'.

• Options
    Addickted said:

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Addickted said:

It's illegal

No - I provided a link to an article in the Independent where a Police Chief confirmed that 'Drivers are being warned that using a mobile phone to navigate in the car could lead to a ban and a £200 fine'.

That quote was preceded by the statement

“It’s illegal”

In any case there is a classic CL mix up at work here.

I’m sure at this point we can all agree that it’s illegal to handle your mobile for any reason while driving, but not illegal to use a mobile as a sat nav if you don’t touch it

• Options
    Addickted said:

Dazzler21 said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Really annoying post.

Think I'll just stop commenting on mental health issues in future - I'm obviously out of my depth with my Victorian views and lack of experience.

I assume we all deal with stress in a different way. I just see it as my stress to deal with - and agree that mindfulness helps me. Lucky to have a strong character that enables me to deal with this I suppose.

I do find it amusing at the abuse I've got on here blasé, pathetic, inflammatory - good job I don't have any mental health issues. Two way street guys.

How about educate rather than abuse those whose understanding is limited?
    I also find mindfulness really good for helping with my manic depression.

I'm sure you haven't written this in the way I'm taking it but just to point out one of the myths of mental illness - you aren't weak if you have mental health problems.

Sorry @Addickted , I usually really like your posts :smile:
  • Options
    No worries. My posts were really relating to the OP situation, then it got a bit deep!

I've learnt some lessons from this thread.
  • Options

I watch them police Interceptor programmes.

It seems to me that the punishment for driving with no licence / being banned /no insurance / no tax is a further ban and a fine of about £200.

So it seems to me that's is far cheaper to steal a car whilst never having passed a test/being disqualified, no tax or insurance as you're fine is less than the insurance premium.

agreed, seen a couple myself and they seem to come down a lot harder on the hard working lot who are driving 36 in a 30 then those little scum bags stealing off said families.

In this case, he had no excuse for not supplying the information. Just couldn't face the fine and then forgot about it I guess.
    I think the excuse is he was having a bad time. Not that he shouldn't be punished, but punishment seems harsh for the crime! Maybe doubling the points and fine would be more appropriate.
  • Options

I watch them police Interceptor programmes.

It seems to me that the punishment for driving with no licence / being banned /no insurance / no tax is a further ban and a fine of about £200.

So it seems to me that's is far cheaper to steal a car whilst never having passed a test/being disqualified, no tax or insurance as you're fine is less than the insurance premium.

agreed, seen a couple myself and they seem to come down a lot harder on the hard working lot who are driving 36 in a 30 then those little scum bags stealing off said families.

In this case, he had no excuse for not supplying the information. Just couldn't face the fine and then forgot about it I guess.
    I think the excuse is he was having a bad time. Not that he shouldn't be punished, but punishment seems harsh for the crime! Maybe doubling the points and fine would be more appropriate.
    Was the fine solely for one thing, or was it for a couple of things?
  • Options
    Quick update in case anyone couldn't sleep without knowing the end result on this one.

He went to Magistrates court yesterday and there was an error in the paperwork so just the 6 points and fine reduced to around £200.
  • Options

Quick update in case anyone couldn't sleep without knowing the end result on this one.

He went to Magistrates court yesterday and there was an error in the paperwork so just the 6 points and fine reduced to around £200.

Result.
  • Options

Well done mate, please for you

; )