Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• Options
    On the surface, 10 ball over, so what. Whats the big problem?. If it adds excitement then great.
    Just sounds like Traditionalists moaning again just for the sake of it.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

On the surface, 10 ball over, so what. Whats the big problem?. If it adds excitement then great.

I'm sorry. I'm usually with you when this traditionalists/modernists angle comes up but it's hard to deny ECB are making a right cock up of this.

Stick to the proven formula. I hope this is just them leaking something to see what the reaction might be before they go ahead with it.
  • Options

I'm sorry. I'm usually with you when this traditionalists/modernists angle comes up but it's hard to deny ECB are making a right cock up of this.

Stick to the proven formula. I hope this is just them leaking something to see what the reaction might be before they go ahead with it.
    you're prob right Callum, but shouldn't diss anything until the reasoning is understood. To diss it just because its got a 10 ball over is bloody stupid.

IMO, anything that helps kids get back to cricket and able to watch it on terrestrial tv is a good thing.
    10 ball over, 12 ball over, 15 ball over...who cares as long as its good cricket and entertaining.
  • Options
    you dont like it then Canters ?:)
  • Options
    edited April 2018

you dont like it then Canters ?:)

Hahaha what gave it away?

Worst thing is I don't think it's malicious from the ECB and it's only partly money motivated. I genuinely think that tbey think iys right for the game. We just have the wrong people leading the game and they are so keen to be seen as progressive they miss opportunities to make actual progress.

Blind leading the useless.
  • Options
    Does seem a strange idea as it's only 20 balls an innings less than T20.

Anything that gets people in to cricket can only be a good thing but I think the current 3 formats works well and doesn't really need changing, they cater for every cricket fans taste.

My 11 year old loves the T20 at the Oval but would be bored and wanting to go home by lunch of a test match, I'm gonna try a one day game this year and see how he likes it, the current formats are a natural progression to test cricket for today's youngsters.
  • Options
    It'll still be cricket. Which is why people aren't going to suddenly come running to it because of the final over, and is also why there's no point doing it
  • Options
    Talk to anyone who's not a serious cricket fan (so non-fans and those with barely a passing interest, the ones the ECB is hoping to attract to grow the game) and their eyes glaze over as soon as the subject of different forms of the game comes up. They just don't get how the same game can be 3 hours, or 6 hours, or 4 days or 5 days.

The ECB's answer to this is to create another format. Beyond mind-boggling.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Smth looks like a Cyberman from Dr Who in that photo!
  • Options

This smacks of idiot busybodies in suits at the ecb trying to prove they are there for a purpose rather than just because they have their fingers in the pie. What is to be gained by losing 20 balls? Is there any way that will make any difference to the casual observer? No chance.

This is idiots completely missing the point. You can see their thought process 't20 was a success and that was shorter than 50 over cricket - I know let's go shorter again!' Completely missing what actually made t20 successful.

Much like their thinking on the whole t20 issue. 'What made the IPL and Big Bash successful? Erm they used city franchises, great lets do that'.

No you utter utter cretins. What made the IPL and Big Bash successful was that they had MORE teams playing MORE games at MORE grounds and involving MORE home grown players AND more of the best international players. ALL games shown on free to air TV. All these things were about making the game more accessible to more people and getting more viewers.

There was also a rebrand and playing it in a block which were not insignificant factors.

Actually if you look into the detail of what's happened over there the fact that the franchises are based around cities is completely irrelevant to its success.

Of course we are doing the exact opposite of what made it a success. Well done the ECB *sarcastic clap*.

LESS teams playing LESS games at LESS grounds with (more than 100) LESS home grown players involved. Only some games shown on free to air TV as yet unconfirmed of the knockout stages will be bit it's thought likely sky will get them. The contract is also only for the first year of the tournament so will be back on sky from year 2. ALL this will do will make the game LESS accessible and get less viewers not more.

We could have had a rebrand and played it in a block within the county structure. Bit that would involve too much joined up thinking for the ECB.

Why is it that they are forecasting massive losses for the tournament in every year for the next 10? - which is every year they have forecasted for. Yet somehow every county -even struggling ones made decent money from the T20 in the last few years.

*fewer
  • Options

Smth looks like a Cyberman from Dr Who in that photo!
    Hopefully James Vince will either be deleted or upgraded
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43908487

Toby Roland-Jones out for the season, another stress fracture in his back
  • Options
    Obviously didn’t heal properly over winter.
    Hopefully Jamie Porter won’t have any issues after his stress fracture.
  • Options
    So, whats the 11 going to be for the first Test?

Fo me (hopefully)...
    Cook
    Stoneman
    Root
    Bairstow
    Malan
    Stokes
    Foakes
    Woakes or Leach
    Wood
    Broad
    Anderson

but realistically..
    Cook
    Stoneman
    Vince
    Root
    Malan
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Woakes
    Wood
    Broad
    Anderson

• Options
    I think Foakes might sneak in there.
  • Options
    I can't see how Vince can be picked. No idea who will be picked instead though, maybe Burns to open and Stoneman at 3?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What about Burns at 3?
  • Options

So, whats the 11 going to be for the first Test?

Fo me (hopefully)...
    Cook
    Stoneman
    Root
    Bairstow
    Malan
    Stokes
    Foakes
    Woakes or Leach
    Wood
    Broad
    Anderson

but realistically..
    Cook
    Stoneman
    Vince
    Root
    Malan
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Woakes
    Wood
    Broad
    Anderson

Yes, lets go with the same 13 that were shite all winter. Nice one.
  • Options
    We have a new National Selector in Ed Smith so expect some changes.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/44075226
    England cricketer Stuart Broad is a talented guy.

He's England's second leading Test wicket-taker of all time, a dab-hand on the golf course and he is currently the top football manager in the world... well, sort of!

We say that because Broad is leading the Fantasy Premier League's table for the week, scoring 169 points, which means the Nottingham Forest fan is beating almost six million other players as it stands.
  • Options
    When is the squad announced?

Asking for a friend...
  • Options
    Pakistan needing 160 to win are currently 13-2. Not the sort of match I'd want to have a bet in though.
  • Options
    Make that 14-3
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

When is the squad announced?

Asking for a friend...

England squad is announced tomorrow. We're going to Day 1, next Thursday.
  • Options
    Oh my gosh, can we possibly pull this off...?