Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

League 1 scores

Comments

• Options
    Every chance now we can nick 4th now with Sunderland going to Southend last day who need a result. Doubt we can overhaul Pompey but having the 2nd leg at home would help.
  • Options
    We win by 3 goals.
    Portsmouth draw
    Sunderland lose
    That would get us third

I think 
    We'd need to score four goals if Portsmouth draw as we'd both be on +32 with three goals

Unless of course Head2Head follows Goal Difference as the decider?

Then again we only need to better the Sunderland result to finish above them so doesnt matter what they do provided they dont win
    Edit: Goals Scored follows Goal Difference as the tie breaker in the EFL; THEN its H2H

Rule 9.2: If two or more Clubs have the same number of points, goal difference and goals scored the highest placed Club shall be determined by the respective League records against each other, taking into account in order of precedence, points gained, goal difference and goals scored. If the above procedures do not separate the Clubs, then the Clubs concerned shall play off a deciding League Match or Matches under arrangements approved by the Board on a neutral ground. The net gate money after deducting the usual match expenses shall be equally divided between the two competing Clubs. Any Club staging such a play-off match shall be entitled to charge as an expense against the receipts of the match 10% of the gross gate receipts after deduction of Value Added Tax. In the event of such a match being arranged by the Board to be played on the ground of a Club which is not a member of The League, then a similar charge as an expense against the receipts of the match shall be paid by The League who shall otherwise be responsible for the financial arrangements made with the Club staging the match. These provisions shall determine the ranking of Clubs in their respective Divisions.
    What a nightmare if 2 teams in the playoffs finish dead level, they'd need another game BEFORE the playoffs start!
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    clb74 said:
    So glad that Barnsley havent messed up prior to the last game

Winning at Oxford would see us three points behind them yet trying to make up an impossible goal difference

Had Barnsley dropped two points in their last game that would have been a kick in the nuts for us going by tonight
    We lost at Oxford mate
    That's the point of the post. We don't have to kick ourselves, as it wouldn't have made a difference. 
    But we lost so it didn't make a difference 
  • Options
    Well done to Luton and Barnsley. I had Barnsley and Sunderland to get top 2 at the start of the season but Luton have really surprised me and even after losing their manager they have done well. Glad to not be playing either of them tbh so i am not worried about who we play now just hope unlike last year we turn up and actually play 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Uboat said:
    clb74 said:
    So glad that Barnsley havent messed up prior to the last game

Winning at Oxford would see us three points behind them yet trying to make up an impossible goal difference

Had Barnsley dropped two points in their last game that would have been a kick in the nuts for us going by tonight
    We lost at Oxford mate
    That's the point of the post. We don't have to kick ourselves, as it wouldn't have made a difference. 
    But we lost so it didn't make a difference 
    And if we'd won it wouldn't have made a difference, so we can relax about that one.
  • Options
    philcafc said:
    Every chance now we can nick 4th now with Sunderland going to Southend last day who need a result. Doubt we can overhaul Pompey but having the 2nd leg at home would help.
    If Sunderland win and Pompey only draw then Sunderland will be 3rd...

• Options
    se9addick said:

Imagine if Doncaster or Peterborough won the playoffs! 
    I might be the only one , but I don't agree with the play offs 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:
    se9addick said:

I agree. Bring back top 3 promoted. It should all be based on a whole season’s results. It’s a nonsense that the team finishing 6th could go up.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    se9addick said:

If we're third come 8pm on Saturday I agree with you
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    se9addick said:

I agree. Bring back top 3 promoted. It should all be based on a whole season’s results. It’s a nonsense that the team finishing 6th could go up.
    Where's the excitement in that? Playoffs are great. 
  • Options
    philcafc said:
    If Sunderland win and Pompey only draw then Sunderland will be 3rd...

If Sunderland win 1-0 and we win 6-0 then we go 3rd
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    se9addick said:

I'll get back to you on that after the playoffs.
  • Options
    Play offs muck up my stats spreadsheet, I blame Bowyer
  • Options
    In terms of the Play-Offs existing I'd agree if money didnt create such a divide in Football - As it can make such a difference (take the Premier League for example) I think its fair that the Play-Offs do exist to give smaller teams hope of promotion
  • Options
    In terms of the Play-Offs existing I'd agree if money didnt create such a divide in Football - As it can make such a difference (take the Premier League for example) I think its fair that the Play-Offs do exist to give smaller teams hope of promotion
    I wonder if Shrewsbury fans agree.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:
    se9addick said:

I don't have a problem with the play-offs per se as it keeps the season alive for longer for many more teams. I do think, though, that the format should change.

I realise I'm influenced here by my love of Aussie Rules but the various play-off systems used in the leagues gives greater rewards if you finish higher in the table, the main thing being one-off matches with the higher-ranked team having home advantage and a second chance if you lose the first match.

For example, in a four-team system team 1 hosts team 2 with the winner going through to the final. Team 3 plays team 4 with the loser going home and the winner travelling to the loser of the first match.

It means that if you enter the play-offs in the final spot you have to beat all the other sides away from home in order to get promoted.

To add a bit of spice you could make it a five-team play-offs and include a team from the division above, a throwback to the original play-offs.
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    I wonder if Shrewsbury fans agree.
    Very true but then you have your Yeovil's and Blackpool's who have achieved promotion with stronger sides around them
  • Options
    So difficult to plan anything right now!!

If we are 4th and Sunderland 5th, and we play them away on the weekend, just be aware that Newcastle will be full of rugby fans - Heineken Cup Final at 5pm Sat.
  • Options
    Play offs are class. Without them our season would of been dead by Jan like most. Would you really be bothered and interested mid table in jan? I wouldn't. The play offs are a great idea. 
    How would our season have been dead in Jan when we were in the race for 2nd about 3 weeks ago? 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    clb74 said:
    se9addick said:

I realise I'm influenced here by my love of Aussie Rules but the various play-off systems used in the leagues gives greater rewards if you finish higher in the table, the main thing being one-off matches with the higher-ranked team having home advantage and a second chance if you lose the first match.

For example, in a four-team system team 1 hosts team 2 with the winner going through to the final. Team 3 plays team 4 with the loser going home and the winner travelling to the loser of the first match.

It means that if you enter the play-offs in the final spot you have to beat all the other sides away from home in order to get promoted.
    Isn’t this system already in place in England though? I thought this was what happens in the National League South and North or something very similar anyway. 

• Options
    https://www.readytogo.net/smb/forums/pure-football.86/

The Sunderland board makes an amusing read!
  • Options
    In fact elf save me a sh$t load of money.
    Can we make the season a day event.
    Save me f@cking going round the whole country for what could actually be a penalty shootout 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
  • Options
    Like how those who say they took 4-pts from us fail to realise we didnt have a full strength team when we've faced them - Certainly not in the first game