Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

holidays 2018 ideas

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2018

drove through Great Yarmouth last week, didn't stop, all kiss me quick hats, amusements, fun parks etc like a southern Blackpool. Definitely not our cup of tea but for kids I suppose it's great.

Good enough for me. As long as the kids enjoy it, I'm happy. Will be the baby's first birthday up there as well.
  • Options
    Wilma said:

clb74 said:

Wilma said:

PopIcon said:

I went Malta once, it was fucking horrible. It was like holidaying in a sweaty version Sheppy. Bleak and destitute. The wrinkles on my arsehole have more depth and colour.

Just got back from a week in Malta, first time I've been there. What a shabby old place! Half the buildings are falling down, or are only half way finished. Pavements and roads in the same state as the buildings with massive holes, missing drainage covers. Dog poop everywhere.

Enjoyed visiting Valletta, Mdina and Gozo but I won't be going back.
    Blimey just got back from Malta today myself.
    What did you think of it?

I stayed just outside Buggiba, which is one of the main tourist areas. Town and main street were okay but it wasn't very pleasant walking back to the hotel later in the evening.
    Hi wilma
    We stayed at the Radisson blu golden sands for 6 nights 15 minutes on bus from buggiba.
    Went to buggiba one afternoon and had a very nice dinner in victorias near McDonald's.
    Was nearly put off going there by a couple of people as they said it was like Benidorm, but as you said the square and surrounding area was quite nice.
    We thought Malta was going to be like Mdina was where we spent an hour but if we had known what Mdina was like would of done an afternoon there as all the restaurants looked nice.
    The roads are terrible out there and like you say half the buildings were run down, done Valleta and took the ferry across to sliema.
    Didnt have one decent pint of draught lager out there.
    Apart from one restaurant and a bar on the beach nothing else outside our hotel within walking distance, found Malta was more for the older people at one of the bars in our hotel would be lucky if there were 10 people in it after 10.
    Went past st julians bay which looked very nice but didnt have the time to get back down there and never went to Gozo.
    Wouldve liked a few more days out there to see a couple more things and make a bit more of a holiday out of it as i doubt we will go back.
    Flew out 19th may and bit of rain first couple of days and was windy most of the time we was out there.

• Options
    Anyone been to Sicily -Taormina in particular?

If so, would be very interested to hear your thoughts about a week in Taormina?
  • Options
    Off to Bulgaria for the first proper holiday in 5 years... any suggestions? (Obviously we're off to Sunny Beach - Well just North of it)
  • Options
    Anyone?
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    just back from 10 days in riviera maya - stayed at secrets silversands - with the other poster on here about virgin scoring there hotels - as it was okay but nothing too special, unfortunately we had 4 solid days of rain, so the hotel showed its tiredness only small things, tarpaulin over the beach bar roof to patch repair it but had been there a while, swimming pool tiles loose, little things like the mini bar not being replenished and having to call them, the beach basically unusable because of the high volume of seaweed which they don't clear.
    also missold on restaurants as advertised at 7 but 3 were closed each day.

the americans phenomenon with "bubba" cups i find odd

virgin atlantic - cancelled our flight heading out at 7am saturday morning we were due to fly at 12.20 ( well delayed it for 27 hrs ) after a phonecall managed to transfer us onto a ba flight - which 2 hours in run our of beer, spirits, soft drinks apart from lemonade and after 5 hours had v little water left, the reponse from ba staff was we had more passengers than expected ( surely planes are meant to fly at capacity and also checking in would tell them how many passengers there were )

coming home delayed for 6 hours because of weather also took us 2 hours to get to the airport because the mexican cab drivers blocked the freeway in a protest against uber.

was me and the mrs 1st all inclusive break and whilst was good, due to the cost of the holiday excursions seemed really pricey, even a taxi into playa del carmen was 43usd each way, did dive whilst we were out there in cozumel which was a good dive.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Off to Bulgaria for the first proper holiday in 5 years... any suggestions? (Obviously we're off to Sunny Beach - Well just North of it)

We're off to Sunny Beach in August, never been before so also interested in any Recommendations, Nessebar is supposed to be nice. Are you going All inclusive?
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

We're off to Sunny Beach in August, never been before so also interested in any Recommendations, Nessebar is supposed to be nice. Are you going All inclusive?
    We are, it's our first summer holiday with the little one too.

Can't wait. We're actually in Sveti Vlas which is the northern end of the bay - about a 10 minute walk from sunny beach.
  • Options
    Thinking of booking to go to Cuba, if not this year then certainly next year, any advice?
  • Options
    Heading to Abulferie in September - has anybody else been there ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Stunningly beautiful place. We only had a night there at end of a fortnight touring Sicily but wished it had been longer. Very hilly, very stylish. Think Amalfi Coast.

Much to see in rest of Sicily too so worth hiring a car and getting out and about for a few days if you can - Mount Etna, Roman villa with superb mosaics, Greek temples, baroque churches. If you watch Montalbano, it is filmed around Syracuse and Ragusa, I believe. It's a big island and can be a bit built up/ industrial in places (Agrigento springs to mind) but loads to see and explore.
  • Options

do get a little pissed off with virgin you pay all this money for a holiday yet if i want to pick a seat to enable me and the mrs are sitting next to each other its £124.00 unless i wait till 24 hours before, ryanair jaunts under 2 hours i can understand as your talking £6.00 but this is a lot of money and don't expect it really.

I'd take a chance that there are no seats together.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Wilma said:

PopIcon said:

I went Malta once, it was fucking horrible. It was like holidaying in a sweaty version Sheppy. Bleak and destitute. The wrinkles on my arsehole have more depth and colour.

Just got back from a week in Malta, first time I've been there. What a shabby old place! Half the buildings are falling down, or are only half way finished. Pavements and roads in the same state as the buildings with massive holes, missing drainage covers. Dog poop everywhere.

Enjoyed visiting Valletta, Mdina and Gozo but I won't be going back.
    Blimey just got back from Malta today myself.
    Wilma had a lucky miss.
  • Options

Thinking of booking to go to Cuba, if not this year then certainly next year, any advice?

Try and spend a few nights in Havana, we only went there on a long day trip (which was good as it was just me and the wife along with our guide)....I do regret not actually spending more time there though (Havana)....if you are hiring a car watch out for the pot holes.....though that side of things may have improved as we went there in 1994.
  • Options

Stunningly beautiful place. We only had a night there at end of a fortnight touring Sicily but wished it had been longer. Very hilly, very stylish. Think Amalfi Coast.

Much to see in rest of Sicily too so worth hiring a car and getting out and about for a few days if you can - Mount Etna, Roman villa with superb mosaics, Greek temples, baroque churches. If you watch Montalbano, it is filmed around Syracuse and Ragusa, I believe. It's a big island and can be a bit built up/ industrial in places (Agrigento springs to mind) but loads to see and explore.
    Agree with all that (Still have a lump of Etna in my fire-place...and don't miss the mosaics) also we stayed in Palermo for a few nights and Cefalu for 4/5 nights...both well worth visiting. Driving was fine as well....busy in the towns but very quiet on the motorway.....which was superb....EEC money well invested there.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Anyone?

Bulgaria...

Not so up with the resorts nowadays. The beaches are big, and sandy, great for kids. However everyone heads to Nessebar because it is one of the very few 'old" places still standing. So you won't be alone there. Sunny Beach is a completely artificial resort created by the Communists. If you do have a car you could get down to Sinomorets, the very last town before the Turrkish border. My buddy has a summer house there, which I will be visiting early July. It has a really nice and unusual beach. Too bad you cannot just cross i the Turkish border. As you stand above it you can look across and see a deserted sandy coast stretching as far as the eye can see.

Bulgarian food has greatly improved in the last years. Ask for a restaurant where Bulgarians go, and you won't be sorry. Bulgarian wine can be very good too.

Bourgas, where you will land is the home of Kishi and he runs a restaurant called "Kishi". You could try dropping in and saying hello. He loves to get Charlton fans visiting, apparently. I am certainly hoping to do the same when I go

• Options
    We are going to Maderia in July. Any ideas gratefully received.
  • Options

just back from 10 days in riviera maya - stayed at secrets silversands - with the other poster on here about virgin scoring there hotels - as it was okay but nothing too special, unfortunately we had 4 solid days of rain, so the hotel showed its tiredness only small things, tarpaulin over the beach bar roof to patch repair it but had been there a while, swimming pool tiles loose, little things like the mini bar not being replenished and having to call them, the beach basically unusable because of the high volume of seaweed which they don't clear.

virgin atlantic - cancelled our flight heading out at 7am saturday morning we were due to fly at 12.20 ( well delayed it for 27 hrs ) after a phonecall managed to transfer us onto a ba flight - which 2 hours in run our of beer, spirits, soft drinks apart from lemonade and after 5 hours had v little water left, the reponse from ba staff was we had more passengers than expected ( surely planes are meant to fly at capacity and also checking in would tell them how many passengers there were )

coming home delayed for 6 hours because of weather also took us 2 hours to get to the airport because the mexican cab drivers blocked the freeway in a protest against uber.

was me and the mrs 1st all inclusive break and whilst was good, due to the cost of the holiday excursions seemed really pricey, even a taxi into playa del carmen was 43usd each way, did dive whilst we were out there in cozumel which was a good dive.

Sounds like you was booked on the same Virgin flight at my wife's friend and her mates. As they were flying business both ways, they wasn't able to change to business seats on another flight so opted to stay put for the 27hrs. Stayed at Secrets Akumal which was apparently very nice but not up to the usual 5* hotel standards they are used to (all of them are ridiculously loaded!)

I'd like to take my 12 year old daughter back to Mexico but my wife wasn't a fan of the Mexico experience we had. Personally, I thought it was really good but there you go.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Dazzler21 said:

Ask Kish

EDIT: Just seen Prague's post so not as stupid as it sounds!
  • Options
    anyone looking to go bulgaria also consider golden sands plenty of cheap flights/packages to varna then 30 min transfer,try wizz air for flights from Luton,TUI doing packages from Gatwick,Balkan Holidays and Bulgaria air worth a look for prices,anyone want advice on hotels in Golden Sands give us a pm,also Albena and Balchik worth a look had property out there over 12 years,love it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solidgone said:

Heading to Abulferie in September - has anybody else been there ;o)

Might know someone familiar with the place. :wink:

Anything you wanna know...
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Sounds like you was booked on the same Virgin flight at my wife's friend and her mates. As they were flying business both ways, they wasn't able to change to business seats on another flight so opted to stay put for the 27hrs. Stayed at Secrets Akumal which was apparently very nice but not up to the usual 5* hotel standards they are used to (all of them are ridiculously loaded!)

I'd like to take my 12 year old daughter back to Mexico but my wife wasn't a fan of the Mexico experience we had. Personally, I thought it was really good but there you go.
    yep i have filled in virgin atlantics delay repay form as entitled to 600 euros each, so will see if they pay out on that, maybe it was just us but for me didn't feel 5 star and certainly not for the extra cost compared to resorts v nearby, silly things like nothing being fresh - which i would of expected everything to be local produce, not tinned strawberries etc.
  • Options

I'm off in a couple of weeks (although over by Palermo) and my asking around has returned Celafu beach and the volcano... not Etna, the other one... as the best two things to visit.
  • Options
    Anyone been to Tel Aviv and has any thoughts/recommendations for going there?
  • Options

Anyone been Great Yarmouth? Taking kids, 6,3,and 1 year olds in July. 4 adults and 3 kids in a 3 bed caravan. Not keen on the idea myself, being used to hotels. Never done this before. Any tips?

Been in Norwich just over 20 years now and have probably been to Yarmouth no more than 5 times. It really is horses for courses, but with the young ones in tow mate, they will love it.

If you want to spend the odd day away from Yarmouth itself there are plenty of things you can do whilst still keeping the children entertained:

- Pleasurewood Hills is just south of Yarmouth on the main A12 and is a (relatively) decent theme park with some fairly good rides.

- Thrigby Hall already been mentioned and is a must in my book.

- Decent beaches in Gorleston and Lowestoft. Whilst a bit further round (north) the coast Hemsby, Winterton and Sea Palling are nice beaches with Hemsby also offering stuff for the children.

- Maybe a few hours on a boat on the broads? You are near Potter Heigham but I'd recommend Wroxham (about 25 minutes from Yarmouth). Once you've done the boat, there is still a bit to do in Wroxham. Children will love Wroxham Barns (feed animals etc, small fair ground, nice selection of gift shops and local real ale shop!). The beauty of Wroxham barns is that you only pay to enter the animal 'bit' so can have a good wander generally.

- Norwich itself is a great day out but probably not for the kids.

Enjoy anyway, it's a wonderful part of the country.
  • Options

Anyone been to Tel Aviv and has any thoughts/recommendations for going there?

Went there with work and spent a few days out there after.

I thought it was amazing personally. Great beaches, great food (no bacon though!) and some amazing nightlife. It felt like the Cote D'Azur in that it was modern and very clean.

Felt very safe there too.
  • Options

Toarmina is lovely and plenty of bars/restaurants , great views of Mount Etna and the coastline. worth a little walk down to the beach at Isola Bella ( get the cable car back ) , not sure about staying there for a week although unless you have a motor .
  • Options

Agree with all that (Still have a lump of Etna in my fire-place...and don't miss the mosaics) also we stayed in Palermo for a few nights and Cefalu for 4/5 nights...both well worth visiting. Driving was fine as well....busy in the towns but very quiet on the motorway.....which was superb....EEC money well invested there.
    Yep, agree with your agreement. We did a 10 day road tour 2 years ago. I would rate it 9 1/2 out of ten.
    the Villa Romana was the highlight for me- even better than Taormina.

I chose Siracusa as a first base for 4 days- magic. The baroque area is here, Noto is not to be missed.
    Try to avoid driving in the cities if possible- i found it hell on wheels.
  • Options

I'm off in a couple of weeks (although over by Palermo) and my asking around has returned Celafu beach and the volcano... not Etna, the other one... as the best two things to visit.
    Cefalu is nice...we drove to Etna & Mosaics from there and back in a day.
  • Options

Yep, agree with your agreement. We did a 10 day road tour 2 years ago. I would rate it 9 1/2 out of ten.
    the Villa Romana was the highlight for me- even better than Taormina.

I chose Siracusa as a first base for 4 days- magic. The baroque area is here, Noto is not to be missed.
    Try to avoid driving in the cities if possible- i found it hell on wheels.
    You need a very calm head driving in Italian cities that's for sure.