Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

holidays 2018 ideas

Comments

• Options

MrOneLung said:

Full of northerners who have either just got out of prison or are waiting to go into prison.

And all their mates
    Mint, a reunion! I’ll drag Harry the Hatchet and Freddie Fiddler along to watch the Sunderland game. The missus will be pleased.

Yeah, I’d make sure you take her mate, you’ll need a bit of back up.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Olive tree gets busy with families as between 6 and 9 they do a deal where you get your starter or dessert free. Good value though.
    Cave bar is just opposite georgias on the old main road. Easy to find as there’s a big sign on the side of the mountain. They run a golf buggy from the road up to it. Mosquito spray is a must up there though.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Just finishing a week in Happisburgh. Good weather, nice beaches, lots to do. Sheringham Park was great for the dogs and with the azealeas and rhordedendrums out was very pleasant. Visited Holt, Sheringham, Cromer etc and went to see the seals at Horsey. Went for a two hour trip down The Broads from Wroxham today. All in all a good week away and Norfolk has a lot to offer.

Glad you enjoyed it shame we couldn’t accommodate you.
    Can’t say I’m a fan of Yarmouth, each to his own I guess
  • Options

Just finishing a week in Happisburgh. Good weather, nice beaches, lots to do. Sheringham Park was great for the dogs and with the azealeas and rhordedendrums out was very pleasant. Visited Holt, Sheringham, Cromer etc and went to see the seals at Horsey. Went for a two hour trip down The Broads from Wroxham today. All in all a good week away and Norfolk has a lot of racists to offer.

• Options
    edited July 2018

Anyone been to Kalamaki on Zante? Booked a week there for the missus and myself in August, a bit spur of the moment without really doing any deep research so would appreciate any thoughts on the place. Maybe should have asked before booking but hey ho.

Only as a teenager on a lads holiday. Not sure it's the sort of place you'd take the missus. This was over 10-15 years ago though so maybe it's changed. Although I think there are some parts to it other than the nightclubs etc.
  • Options
    Anyone been to Hvar? Been eyeing it up for a few years now.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Anyone been to Sicily -Taormina in particular?

If so, would be very interested to hear your thoughts about a week in Taormina?

I'm off in a couple of weeks (although over by Palermo) and my asking around has returned Celafu beach and the volcano... not Etna, the other one... as the best two things to visit.
    Be interested to know how you get on and what you think is worth visiting.
    Just got back yesterday, Cefalu was definitely the highlight, great for a beach day and a bit of a look around - didn't find it too busy either. Well worth the hour and a half drive from Palermo. We also went to another beach town in the other direction from Palermo (San Vito Lo Capo) which was just "okay" although the sand/water was probably the best and the drive was spectacular in places. In fact, all of the driving out there had some pretty "wow" moments.

We stayed in Mondello, which was a really good base near the city - felt right out on its own separated by mountains but actually it's not far out of Palermo. There was this hill there with abandoned houses built by the mafia which the local council blocked halfway through because it was in a nature reserve (can't imagine it went down well) that was a good visit around there - had an art exhibition on. Beach is very nice in Mondello but they got a bit greedy as it's mostly 'members only' parasols and felt waaay too busy for us in the cheap seats.

Palermo itself we only made it into on the last day, but like everywhere else the food was great and it was pretty manic in a fun way. Very pretty and far quieter in the 'old' part of town so kind of the best of both worlds.

All of Sicily that we saw seemed pretty unspoilt (by tourism) compared to any other Mediterranean place I've been to, and the rocky scenery was superb.

Not sure if you were that interested, but a glowing review from me! The cost of food and things out there was also noticeably cheap I found.
    Many thanks for posting. Certainly was interested in what you say. And sorry not to have acknowledged before but only just seen it to be honest.

We're staying in Taormina, so probably a bit far away from where you stayed to get there comfortably but I'd like to get over to Palermo if possible.

By the way, did you hire a car? If so, scary or no worse than driving in London (where I'm beginning to wonder if many people have actually passed a test).
    No worries! Yeah, hired a car and it wasn't too bad at all, motorways were better than home in fact, although around Palermo it was intense but kind of fun. Main things to note whilst driving in Sicily - there's no such thing as "right of way" (e.g. at roundabouts just ease yourself in or you'll be there forever getting beeped at), the lines on the road are a rough guide at most - so you'll often find yourself 3-abreast on a dual carriageway, and keep an eye out for weaving mopeds in city traffic, they're everywhere and get super-close.

Just triple your driving aggression and you'll fit in, to be honest I'd avoid Palermo rush hour though as that was stressful and still have no idea how we returned the car unscathed. The majority of cars in the city are a bit old/battered so I'm not sure people care as much as you about avoiding a ding when you've got a 1000 Euro excess. (Get excess cover!!)
  • Options

Yep went last year, absolutely brilliant. We were on a very boozy trip so didn't exactly do any of the sights/culture but Hula Hula Beach Bar is class!!
  • Options

Yep went last year, absolutely brilliant. We were on a very boozy trip so didn't exactly do any of the sights/culture but Hula Hula Beach Bar is class!!
    Cool - did you fly into Split or Dubrovnick? Looks quite easy to get a ferry wherever you fly into.
  • Options

Cool - did you fly into Split or Dubrovnick? Looks quite easy to get a ferry wherever you fly into.
    We did Split, which in itself is a great place for a night or 2. Really easy ferry across to Hvar, and various other islands
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We did Split, which in itself is a great place for a night or 2. Really easy ferry across to Hvar, and various other islands
    Thanks - was thinking of doing the same, one or two nights wherever we fly into.
  • Options

Cheers @paulbaconsarnie will do. I like the look of the Olive Tree but also a place called the Cave Bar sounds interesting. Supposed to have some quality views but a bit hard to find.

As PBS says Cave Bar easy to find but definitely take the mozzie spray. Resort pretty much built around two main roads - that which runs from the direction of Zante town to the beach is quieter than the one that runs towards Laganas. Great beach but would recommend heading early as does get busy.
  • Options

Not able to go away this year because of the little one being too young

Potentially looking to go stay in a Static Caravan next June though, somewhere in Cornwall after our Holiday was ruined by car trouble in 2017

Are there any Holiday Parks that people can recommend for this? - Both Haven and Parkdean down there dont seem bad for the week in terms of cost

Used to use Parkdean regularly when the children were younger - have stayed Whiteacres (Cornwall); Ruda (Devon) is great for beaches and Warmwell (Dorset) good in terms of site facilities (believe all accommidation is now lodges) and location for other attractions (e.g Weymouth)
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Not been to many of these latest places on here, but for those who have never tried it, go cruising. No it is not as expensive as you first think, about as dear as a good hotel and much more to it. I have been with TUI, reasonable prices, you see many countries, if only a part of, but good food, plenty of entertainment and if you are not fussy, get an inside cabin on the lower decks for the cheapest. They meet you at the airport, check in your cases and you do not see them again until they arrive outside your cabin soon after you have got on the boat (ship?). Many dates and many destinations, have tried two in the Mediterranean and two in the Caribbean, brilliant.
  • Options

Cheers @paulbaconsarnie will do. I like the look of the Olive Tree but also a place called the Cave Bar sounds interesting. Supposed to have some quality views but a bit hard to find.

As PBS says Cave Bar easy to find but definitely take the mozzie spray. Resort pretty much built around two main roads - that which runs from the direction of Zante town to the beach is quieter than the one that runs towards Laganas. Great beach but would recommend heading early as does get busy.
    Mosquitoes? Bugger. Went to Crete last year and didn’t get bitten once.
  • Options

Husband is like a magnet for them. He swears by Incognito.
  • Options

Husband is like a magnet for them. He swears by Incognito.
    Will have to take appropriate precautions. Or eat a shitload of Marmite.

• Options
    I love mosquitoes they bite Mrs Blackpool to bits but totally ignore me.
    I have seen her cover herself in layers of sheets and in the morning she is still covered in bites. (Not by me)
    Where I'm completely untouched.
    Mossies I love em.
  • Options
    Taking bus back from Madrid to London today via France. Twenty eight hours and completely illogical but fancied a road trip and hopefully should be decent sights on the way. Train would be proper Charlton but this is close enough!
  • Options

Taking bus back from Madrid to London today via France. Twenty eight hours and completely illogical but fancied a road trip and hopefully should be decent sights on the way. Train would be proper Charlton but this is close enough!

Tbh that sounds like my idea of hell. I'm not keen on getting a bus from Bournemouth to Poole, let alone 28 hours on a coach. Good luck!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Off to Bulgaria for the first proper holiday in 5 years... any suggestions? (Obviously we're off to Sunny Beach - Well just North of it)

We're off to Sunny Beach in August, never been before so also interested in any Recommendations, Nessebar is supposed to be nice. Are you going All inclusive?
    We are, it's our first summer holiday with the little one too.

Can't wait. We're actually in Sveti Vlas which is the northern end of the bay - about a 10 minute walk from sunny beach.
    when are you there or have you already been?
  • Options

Hours and hours of rolling through flat barren French countryside.
  • Options

#needheadtesting
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Hours and hours of rolling through flat barren French countryside.
    Have you ever actually driven through France?
  • Options
    only from Calais down to Barcelona
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

only from Calais down to Barcelona

Then I'm sure that the French countryside that you went through was neither flat nor barren.
  • Options
    Going through Bordeaux region after crossing from the Basque country so hoping it will be an interesting ride. Got a couple of books and there's a TV screen on each seat and hoping it's not too gruelling. Might be a complete mess by the time I get to London though.
  • Options

He’s coming home....
  • Options
    Anyone used teletext holidays before? I tried then yesterday for a later summer trip for a week to turkey but found that the actual price (after speaking to them) was £300 more expensive than the advertised price. Is this the way they work? Should I have expected this?
  • Options

Anyone used teletext holidays before? I tried then yesterday for a later summer trip for a week to turkey but found that the actual price (after speaking to them) was £300 more expensive than the advertised price. Is this the way they work? Should I have expected this?

Where are you planning to go in Turkey?