Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

holidays 2018 ideas

Comments

• Options

Anyone been to Tel Aviv and has any thoughts/recommendations for going there?

Few of my mates went in 2007/8 when England played there. They all raved about the place, hence me forever regretting my decision not to join them.
  • Options

Anyone been to Tel Aviv and has any thoughts/recommendations for going there?

Certainty not the sort of place I’d recommend for a group of Islamic fundamentalists for a weekend jolly-up.
  • Options

Anyone been to Sicily -Taormina in particular?

If so, would be very interested to hear your thoughts about a week in Taormina?

Stunningly beautiful place. We only had a night there at end of a fortnight touring Sicily but wished it had been longer. Very hilly, very stylish. Think Amalfi Coast.

Much to see in rest of Sicily too so worth hiring a car and getting out and about for a few days if you can - Mount Etna, Roman villa with superb mosaics, Greek temples, baroque churches. If you watch Montalbano, it is filmed around Syracuse and Ragusa, I believe. It's a big island and can be a bit built up/ industrial in places (Agrigento springs to mind) but loads to see and explore.
    Thanks.
  • Options

I'm off in a couple of weeks (although over by Palermo) and my asking around has returned Celafu beach and the volcano... not Etna, the other one... as the best two things to visit.
    Be interested to know how you get on and what you think is worth visiting.
  • Options
    Shag said:

Toarmina is lovely and plenty of bars/restaurants , great views of Mount Etna and the coastline. worth a little walk down to the beach at Isola Bella ( get the cable car back ) , not sure about staying there for a week although unless you have a motor .
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Just booked a week at Beekse Bergen in Holland for the family, looks perfect for the young kids and easy enough to drive/ferry too as well.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

I'm off in a couple of weeks (although over by Palermo) and my asking around has returned Celafu beach and the volcano... not Etna, the other one... as the best two things to visit.
    Just got back yesterday, Cefalu was definitely the highlight, great for a beach day and a bit of a look around - didn't find it too busy either. Well worth the hour and a half drive from Palermo. We also went to another beach town in the other direction from Palermo (San Vito Lo Capo) which was just "okay" although the sand/water was probably the best and the drive was spectacular in places. In fact, all of the driving out there had some pretty "wow" moments.

We stayed in Mondello, which was a really good base near the city - felt right out on its own separated by mountains but actually it's not far out of Palermo. There was this hill there with abandoned houses built by the mafia which the local council blocked halfway through because it was in a nature reserve (can't imagine it went down well) that was a good visit around there - had an art exhibition on. Beach is very nice in Mondello but they got a bit greedy as it's mostly 'members only' parasols and felt waaay too busy for us in the cheap seats.

Palermo itself we only made it into on the last day, but like everywhere else the food was great and it was pretty manic in a fun way. Very pretty and far quieter in the 'old' part of town so kind of the best of both worlds.

All of Sicily that we saw seemed pretty unspoilt (by tourism) compared to any other Mediterranean place I've been to, and the rocky scenery was superb.

Not sure if you were that interested, but a glowing review from me! The cost of food and things out there was also noticeably cheap I found.
  • Options
    Booked a villa for the family near Budens on The Algarve. We’ll be out there when the World Cup Final is played. Can anyone recommend a bar to watch it? It will be fun if England or Portugal are in the final. Be good to share the occasion with other Brits.
  • Options

just back from 10 days in riviera maya - stayed at secrets silversands - with the other poster on here about virgin scoring there hotels - as it was okay but nothing too special, unfortunately we had 4 solid days of rain, so the hotel showed its tiredness only small things, tarpaulin over the beach bar roof to patch repair it but had been there a while, swimming pool tiles loose, little things like the mini bar not being replenished and having to call them, the beach basically unusable because of the high volume of seaweed which they don't clear.
    also missold on restaurants as advertised at 7 but 3 were closed each day.

the americans phenomenon with "bubba" cups i find odd

virgin atlantic - cancelled our flight heading out at 7am saturday morning we were due to fly at 12.20 ( well delayed it for 27 hrs ) after a phonecall managed to transfer us onto a ba flight - which 2 hours in run our of beer, spirits, soft drinks apart from lemonade and after 5 hours had v little water left, the reponse from ba staff was we had more passengers than expected ( surely planes are meant to fly at capacity and also checking in would tell them how many passengers there were )

coming home delayed for 6 hours because of weather also took us 2 hours to get to the airport because the mexican cab drivers blocked the freeway in a protest against uber.

was me and the mrs 1st all inclusive break and whilst was good, due to the cost of the holiday excursions seemed really pricey, even a taxi into playa del carmen was 43usd each way, did dive whilst we were out there in cozumel which was a good dive.

certainly worthwhile complaining to virgin holidays and virgin atlantic - virgin Atlantic is easy as they have a delay repay form similar to south eastern which is controlled by EU law.

we received £1001.32 in cash refund from both virgin holidays and virgin Atlantic airline and 8000 air miles each, the cost of the holiday was £3562.00 so not too bad.
  • Options
    @Algarveaddick would be a good shout for your question @SX_Addick
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had a look and see that I have driven through Budens and still never heard of it... LOL

Sorry SX - I have no idea.

• Options

Just got back yesterday, Cefalu was definitely the highlight, great for a beach day and a bit of a look around - didn't find it too busy either. Well worth the hour and a half drive from Palermo. We also went to another beach town in the other direction from Palermo (San Vito Lo Capo) which was just "okay" although the sand/water was probably the best and the drive was spectacular in places. In fact, all of the driving out there had some pretty "wow" moments.

We stayed in Mondello, which was a really good base near the city - felt right out on its own separated by mountains but actually it's not far out of Palermo. There was this hill there with abandoned houses built by the mafia which the local council blocked halfway through because it was in a nature reserve (can't imagine it went down well) that was a good visit around there - had an art exhibition on. Beach is very nice in Mondello but they got a bit greedy as it's mostly 'members only' parasols and felt waaay too busy for us in the cheap seats.

Palermo itself we only made it into on the last day, but like everywhere else the food was great and it was pretty manic in a fun way. Very pretty and far quieter in the 'old' part of town so kind of the best of both worlds.

All of Sicily that we saw seemed pretty unspoilt (by tourism) compared to any other Mediterranean place I've been to, and the rocky scenery was superb.

Not sure if you were that interested, but a glowing review from me! The cost of food and things out there was also noticeably cheap I found.
    Many thanks for posting. Certainly was interested in what you say. And sorry not to have acknowledged before but only just seen it to be honest.

We're staying in Taormina, so probably a bit far away from where you stayed to get there comfortably but I'd like to get over to Palermo if possible.

By the way, did you hire a car? If so, scary or no worse than driving in London (where I'm beginning to wonder if many people have actually passed a test).
  • Options
    Not able to go away this year because of the little one being too young

Potentially looking to go stay in a Static Caravan next June though, somewhere in Cornwall after our Holiday was ruined by car trouble in 2017

Are there any Holiday Parks that people can recommend for this? - Both Haven and Parkdean down there dont seem bad for the week in terms of cost
  • Options
    Never been Cornwall, we’re doing a cara in Devon

Enjoy the years of not having to go in the school holidays!!
  • Options

Potentially looking to go stay in a Static Caravan next June though, somewhere in Cornwall after our Holiday was ruined by car trouble in 2017

Are there any Holiday Parks that people can recommend for this? - Both Haven and Parkdean down there dont seem bad for the week in terms of cost

We've just booked the Hendra park in Newquay for August.
    Not been before but got good reviews.
  • Options

Never been Cornwall, we’re doing a cara in Devon

Enjoy the years of not having to go in the school holidays!!

Amen to that.
  • Options

Drove past there a fews times when we stayed outside Newquay last year... Heard only good reviews about the place
  • Options

Drove past there a fews times when we stayed outside Newquay last year... Heard only good reviews about the place
    I'll let you know.
  • Options

Went Cornwall last year and absolutely loved it, can’t remember the name of the place we stayed but didn’t think it was great for the money. Pre school holidays then, if you don’t mind holiday parks I would certainly recommend Eurocamp parks in Europe, look out for Al Fresco offers through Groupon which are extremely good value IMO and AFKA says, make the most of it whilst you are outside school holidays.
  • Options
    My girlfriend and I are looking to go away early September for 5-7 nights, probably to the Algarve or to Mallorca.

We have gone to Alvor before but finding somewhere online really difficult that suits the dates we have in mind and the prices of things.

@Algarveaddick is there anything you know of that could help us out or place to stay that are reasonably priced?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:

My girlfriend and I are looking to go away early September for 5-7 nights, probably to the Algarve or to Mallorca.

We have gone to Alvor before but finding somewhere online really difficult that suits the dates we have in mind and the prices of things.

@Algarveaddick is there anything you know of that could help us out or place to stay that are reasonably priced?

Early Sept is tough, but I will have a go tomorrow for you Sage.
  • Options

Sage said:

Early Sept is tough, but I will have a go tomorrow for you Sage.
    Thank you, appreciated. Was thinking of around 4th/5th flying out. Any help would be great
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Just returned from 10 days in Galicia in N Spain. Really enjoyable though having a bit more Spanish language than we did would be even more helpful - hardly came across any British tourists - almost exclusively local people and Spanish visitors (apart from Americans in Santiago). Quite built up but superb beaches, good food / great seafood and wine, very reasonable prices and generally very friendly. Weather good but it can be quite changeable as it catches the fronts off the Atlantic.

If anyone is considering it, happy to provide more specific info.
  • Options
    Anyone been to Kalamaki on Zante? Booked a week there for the missus and myself in August, a bit spur of the moment without really doing any deep research so would appreciate any thoughts on the place. Maybe should have asked before booking but hey ho.
  • Options
    Full of northerners who have either just got out of prison or are waiting to go into prison.
  • Options
    Sorry never been.
  • Options

Anyone been to Kalamaki on Zante? Booked a week there for the missus and myself in August, a bit spur of the moment without really doing any deep research so would appreciate any thoughts on the place. Maybe should have asked before booking but hey ho.

Family have been going to kalimaki for around 20 years now.
    I’ve stayed at rainbow, athina apartments and Sophia’s. All pretty basic accommodation but does the job.
    Restaurants I always return to are heavens kitchen, Georgia’s (on the old main kalamaki road) and the olive tree.
    PM me if you’ve anything specific to ask.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Full of northerners who have either just got out of prison or are waiting to go into prison.

And all their mates
  • Options
    Cheers @paulbaconsarnie will do. I like the look of the Olive Tree but also a place called the Cave Bar sounds interesting. Supposed to have some quality views but a bit hard to find.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

And all their mates
    Mint, a reunion! I’ll drag Harry the Hatchet and Freddie Fiddler along to watch the Sunderland game. The missus will be pleased.