Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Blackburn v Charlton | Sat 16 Dec | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Blackburn Rovers v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 16th December 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Geoff Eltringham (Co. Durham)

Introduction

The last few weeks haven’t been the greatest for Karl Robinson and his side – A 1-0 defeat last time out against Portsmouth saw Charlton losing for the third game in four matches, a result that hurt even more thanks to the occasion, with December throwing some tough fixtures it’s important that Charlton return to winning ways and quickly. This Saturday sees the first of a Lancashire double header as we travel to the North West to face Blackburn Rovers.

The Opposition
Name: Blackburn Rovers | Manager: Tony Mowbray
Ground: Ewood Park

In a week where Charlton have failed to perform when it matters, it’s ironic that our next match brings back memories of another occasion when a good performance is needed – In 2007; Operation Ewood was launched with 6,000 fans making the trip in what would help fight off relegation… Unfortunately the Addicks lost 4-1 that day with 79 coaches of fans unable to make a difference.

Returning to this season though and we’re potentially facing Blackburn at the worst time… It’s taken time for the ex-Premier League champions to find their feet after relegation, yet the charge from Tony Mowbray’s side appears to be happening… On just two occasions have Blackburn lost at Ewood with the last coming in mid-September – this’ll probably be the hardest away trip of the season.

At a level when opposing clubs moan about the budget of Charlton Athletic yet the spending power from Blackburn over the summer was even stronger – Seven players were signed for undisclosed fees, and with experience at this level from the likes of Bradley Dack joining from Gillingham and Ben Gladwin in from Queens Park Rangers (having spent time on loan at Swindon), you’d certainly expect to see our opponents challenging come the end of the season.

Charlton Team News
Despite defeat last Saturday there were encouraging signs… The last few weeks have seen an Addicks side depleted by injuries and with certain players being unavailable it’s become clear how important some are to our success so far this season.

Billy Clarke is one of those and until he was replaced against Portsmouth there looked to be intent from the Addicks – Jason Pearce is another of our key men and having appeared on the bench last weekend, we should hope to see one of our main leaders back in the heart of Defence… Once again the main issue appears to be our lack of scoring options, with this Saturday coming too soon for Tariqe Fosu to make his return to the side.

Amos
Solly | Pearce | Sarr | Dasilva
Konsa | Forster-Caskey
Holmes | Clarke | Marshall
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Lennon | Aribo | Jackson | Reeves | Best | Ahearne-Grant

Prediction
As already mentioned, this is probably going to be our hardest away game of the season (Yes I believe even tougher than Wigan) – If we can pinch a 1-0 win I’ll be delighted as we need to recover and start catching up, sadly I don’t see three points returning to South East London!!

Comments

• Can’t see anything other than a defeat .
    With our striker(s) not scoring and our midfield not chipping in either I can see us losing this 2 or 3 nil.
    Hope I’m wrong .
  • 2-0 Blackburn
  • unfortunately I think 3-0 Blackburn
  • On the 9:40 train from Euston.

I'm normally pretty optimistic about our chances (sometimes to the point of stupidity!) but I'm really worried we'll get a tonking tomorrow - they haven't lost since October, are top of the form table and score lots of goals whilst the wheels have really come off for us.

That being said, when you least expect Charlton to win...
  • I really wont be surprised if Blackburn get a few... They've scored three | four | four goals in their last four League games!!

Can only hope that Jason Pearce is some sort of super god we've been missing in Defence and gets us a clean sheet
  • I think we are wasteful and don't create enough chances and Blackburn have been playing really well. I suspect they'll be a class above us even if we play well (and we weren't bad when Wigan beat us 0-3). I think we'll be on the end of a right tonking as well. Hope I'm wrong, would be overjoyed at a point.
  • 3-0 and another reason to hate that charisma vacuum Mowbray.
  • Like the Xmas turkey I fear a stuffing up here, but I'm going to cling to the hope that Holmes is overdue a goal, 1-1.
  • Three more holes in Blackburn, Lancashire ... was a memorable headline from the Mercury after a 70s defeat at Ewood.
  • If Maggenis starts as lone striker 3-0 defeat.
    If we start with Best and KAG, much better result. 3-1
  • Sponsored links:

• 0 - 1 back to the wall win for the Addicks, refreshed and revitalised by the team bonding trip to Newcastle and the return of Jason Pearce.
  • done Blackburn away twice and that doesn't include the poxy operation.

awful ground, not great surroundings, fair play to everyone going up, most dont expect anything from it so im going for a shock 1-0 win for us.
  • 2-0 to Blackburn

We'll defend valiantly, but concede an unlucky goal, then a second as we go for the equaliser
  • Hard fought 2-2
  • I have got a funny feeling about this game. I wouldn't be surprised if we get something out of it.
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • 2-0 Blackburn, not looking rosy although you never know with Charlton sometimes its the game we will end up winning :)
  • 3-0 Blackburn...best we can hope is 0-0 but that wont happen.
  • A backs to the wall performance, battling 1-1 draw , Pearce from a last minute corner.
  • 2-0 defeat....
  • Sponsored links:

• No confidence at all in our ability to get a result in this one. We can't score and we can't defend so it all points to a comfortable Rovers victory. I would love to be proven wrong tomorrow but I think we will capitulate after an early Rovers goal and get done 0.4
  • Providing Konsa together with Forster and Caskey are running the midfield, we should be able to just grind a 1:2 defeat
  • My prediction is 3 or 4 nil to Blackburn Rovers.
    Hope I am wrong (especially with regard to it being any more).
  • 3.1 Blackburn to completely derail our season.

Unless Douchbag gives Robinson the players he wants in January there will be no way back.

Just sell the club
  • 3-0 to Blackburn
  • 5-0 thumping... Meh...herr...eeee Christmas!
  • 1-0 away day mugging to paper over the cracks. This followed by 10 from 12 over Christmas. RD get's carried away with the inflated hype and decides there is no need to spend in January, we then revert to type and are form nose dives from Mid January on wards.
  • We have had some good times on that ground and also taken a few hidings there. Of course Iw ouldn't be surprised in the slightest if we got beat. But I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest either, if we won.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!